22 [24.18%]
13 [14.29%]
4 [4.40%]
5 [5.49%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 15:29
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

^ I find it funny seeing Camel being called mainstream. Most people don't know who they are. 

by "mainstream" I mean "prog mainstream"

In everyday life I met a couple of people that know who they are. I've rarely seen camel albums in music stores. If you mean to say they make catchy, accessible prog, go ahead, but not mainstream. :)

"catchy, accessible prog" and "prog mainstream" are synonyms for me

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 15:35

^ I find it funny seeing Camel being called mainstream. Most people don't know who they are. 

In everyday life I met a couple of people that know who they are. I've rarely seen camel albums in music stores. If you mean to say they make catchy, accessible prog, go ahead, but not mainstream. :)

it's not the same thing, mainstream means most people would know who they are, bands like Pink Floyd and Rush for instance. Their music is easy to find. :)

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 15:39

it's not the same thing, mainstream means most people would know who they are, bands like Pink Floyd and Rush for instance. Their music is easy to find. :)

I don't know where you live, but where I live Camel are very easy to find. Rush are more difficult to find than Camel here (though it is not difficult at all to find Rush albums too). from what Friede's brother told me I know that "The Snow Goose" was extremely popular in Germany in the 70s (for a prog album).

Genesis were also very popular in Germany in the 70s. Santana, Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Uriah Heep and Jethro Tull were also all very popular acts in Germany in the 70s

Edited by BaldJean - May 23 2018 at 15:49

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 15:44
^ I often buy albums wherever I travel, I've rarely seen any Camel. I haven't travelled to Germany yet, but I bet you have some awesome music stores. :)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 16:01

^ I often buy albums wherever I travel, I've rarely seen any Camel. I haven't travelled to Germany yet, but I bet you have some awesome music stores. :)

according to Friede's brother there were two awesome record shops in Cologne in the 70s, Saturn and Merkur (German for "Mercury"). they engaged in a price fight which was nicknamed "Krieg der Planeten" meaning "war of the planets". Merkur finally went bankrupt. Saturn do still exist today and have branches in many other cities; they are the biggest record shop chain in Germany and extended their range of items to kitchenware, photo equipment, computers and other electronic devices like radios, televisions etc.

the price fight was of course good for the customers as long as it lasted; Friede's brother was able to build up a huge collection though he was still in high school back then and did not have much money

Edited by BaldJean - May 23 2018 at 16:08

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 16:19
There once was an album by Camel called Mirage and it had a song on it called, "Lady Fantasy." I will say no more.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 02:26
First Utterance. Warrior of the Edge is also really great!
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 15:42
Gentle Giant
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 15:50
Comus but I like all four 1970's albums included quite a lot
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 07:32
Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2023 at 05:21
nice poll!
Gentle bump! Tongue
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2023 at 05:27

nice poll!
Gentle bump! Tongue
Crikey! A ten-year-old poll. We must be running short of new polls. One of these days, you might even give one of my old polls a gentle bump. No, what a ridiculous thought. Tongue

Anyway, I'm predictably voting for Camel again.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 03 2023 at 05:28
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2023 at 05:35
Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time. Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2023 at 14:10
It said I already vote in this poll. Not sure what I voted on back in 2013, but today it is Thinking Plague. After a morning of rolling around in the yard, I always like to spend my afternoon meowing at Lego bricks.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2023 at 15:00

Gentle Giant followed very close by Comus.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123