Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Worm Ouroboros (Belarus) for Eclectic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by ProgShine ProgShine wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Seeing as you're a collab, you could always check the eclectic thread yourselfWink

Sure, and I do, but then the rest of the guys that are not collab (as I was for many years) know nothing about this, and sometimes bands added are not even notified with makes it really hard to know about it Smile

So I like to post on the open threads, so everybody can see it Smile

Thumbs Up  Approve
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 16:30
What I meant was that you could bring whatever knowledge you acquire from the teams to this part of the forum. It is not a certainty that the eclectic team is following this thread, so seeing as you are interested in how all this pans out, it might as well be you who brings forth what information you can find.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 17:39
As for now I'm the only one who voted and I said Yep! I hope the other guys can look at it soon because there's no need to delay their inclusion here.

On a personal note this is one of the best and most enjoyable albums I listened to last year, I can't wait to write a review for it, highly recommended!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 17:52
Thanks Sagi
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 18:11
That's what you're paying me for
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 21:02
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Originally posted by ProgShine ProgShine wrote:

Seeing as you're a collab, you could always check the eclectic thread yourselfWink

Sure, and I do, but then the rest of the guys that are not collab (as I was for many years) know nothing about this, and sometimes bands added are not even notified with makes it really hard to know about it SmileSo I like to post on the open threads, so everybody can see it Smile

Thumbs Up  Approve

ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 03:39
While they're not accepted... they're online on my website Progshine :)

Profile: http://www.progshine.net/2014/02/the-worm-ouroboros.html

Review: http://www.progshine.net/2014/02/review-the-worm-ouroboros-of-things-that-never-were-2013.html

Edited by ProgShine - February 23 2014 at 10:25
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 04:12
^It'd be nice, if you could check the eval process before you post something like this Diego. Had you taken out the time to read the latest posts in the eclectic thread, you'd have seen that this band is cleared for inclusion. 

We're all on the same team here.

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 05:27
I'm working on the bio right now after contacting the band.
ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 10:26

^It'd be nice, if you could check the eval process before you post something like this Diego. Had you taken out the time to read the latest posts in the eclectic thread, you'd have seen that this band is cleared for inclusion. 

I don't think you read my previous posts here Smile

I know they'll be online sooner or later. I was just letting the interested guys know that they're online at my website. I didn't say anything bad about nothing 
Cool

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 03:06
Not added yet?!  I can't believe it.
ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 15:12
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Not added yet?!  I can't believe it.

Confused

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 02:03
When this band is gonna be added?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 01:15
Not added yet.
Eclectic Team would be ashamed in this case!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 02:25
You are certainly not helping Svetonio......and I wouldn't start reprimanding people who do nothing but evaluate acts for you. You should be ashamed of yourself. Everything you post demands something from other people: evaluate this, listen to this clip, look at something from your angle. Let me ask you one thing: when did you last take out the time to listen to what others have to say? Comment on other clips - interact with members beyond an emoticon or your endless vids?
You're so unbelievably rude, I am having a hard time controlling what I write back here, but safe to say that you're walking a very fine line.
For future reference: if you ever feel like posting something like this again, then mail people instead of acting like a disappointed daddyo.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 30 2014 at 02:27

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 07:00

Not added yet.

Svetonio are you for real? I think you got confused and thought we are all working for you.
There are some suggestions that are being evaluated for years, PA's wheels are working slow sometimes, if you don't like it you know what you should do..

Frankly I have no desire evaluating your suggestions after such an ungreatful comment, I mean who the hell are you?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 07:27

Not added yet.

Way to go! Flood the teams out with requests and then moan when they don't work quick enough for you.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 13:28
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Not added yet.

(...)
There are some suggestions that are being evaluated for years, PA's wheels are working slow sometimes, (....)
I know that the eval process sometimes takes a long time and I have no problem with that.
However, I'm afraid that this is a different case.
Admin said this in his post from February 23, 2014 

Quote Originally posted by Gulbamsen

^It'd be nice, if you could check the eval process before you post something like this Diego. Had you taken out the time to read the latest posts in the eclectic thread, you'd have seen that this band is cleared for inclusion

So the eval process did not take much time in this case.
The band is cleared and it's not nice to go half a year that is not added yet to the database. It's not good for the site imo.

Edited by Svetonio - July 31 2014 at 13:48
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 17:22
The band is possibly not added yet due to lack of a coherent bio - there isn't much about them on the web, and if the band are as economical with their information when contacted as they are with it on facebook (where would you believe they currently have just nine likes...  Shocked) then it's no wonder they aren't yet on the site: https://www.facebook.com/thewormouroboros.

Anyhow - there is probably just enough info to make a page for them here: http://www.backgroundmagazine.nl/CDreviews/TheWormOuroborosOfThingsThatNeverWere.html

"In 1922 the English writer Eric Rücker Eddison published a novel called The Worm Ouroboros. The book describes the protracted war between the domineering King Gorice of Witchland and the Lords of Demonland in an imaginary world that appears mainly medieval and partly reminiscent of Norse sagas. Like many other fantasy novels this book also inspired two groups for a band name, so you have to pay attention when you see the band name The Worm Ouroboros and the albums they made. I think that prog rock devotees are not interested in the band that hails from San Francisco, Oakland, USA. Instead, they should listen to the Belarussian band with the same name that released their debut Of Things That Never Were in 2013.

Of Things That Never Were certainly is a fine album that should reach a wider audience in the prog rock scene. The Worm Ouroboros consist of Sergey Gvozdyukevich (keyboards, acoustic guitar, bass, flutes, voice), Vladimir Sobolevsky (electric and acoustic guitars), Alexey Zapolsky (bass), Eugene Zarkhin (drums) and guest Vitaly Appow (reeds) and they succeeded in delivering eleven strong compositions on their debut. The mainly instrumental compositions have been evidently inspired by an album like Music Inspired By The Snow Goose (1975) by Camel . However, albums like Mirage (1974) and Rain Dances (1977) come to mind either when the music is more up-tempo. Furthermore I noticed influences of bands from the so-called Canterbury scene. Beside those influences I also heard some touches of pastoral and folk music.

It's not only the music on Of Things That Never Were that appealed to me, but also the artwork and the booklet. The cover holds a great sci-fi painting and inside the booklet you'll find a number of beautiful pictures of nature. All tracks are accompanied by some quotes from writers and other well-known people like scientist Albert Einstein, fantasy writer Ursula K. Le Guin, scenario writer George R.R. Martin (Game Of Thrones), Erik R. Edison and fantasy and horror writer H.P. Lovecraft.

Although The Worm Ouroboros are certainly no copycats, all fans of Camel should check out Of Things That Never Were . Fortunately they managed to have a musical identity of their own, which gives this band the right to exist in the progressive rock scene. This band may be proud of such a fine debut."

**** Henri Strik (edited by Peter Willemsen)

The band was formed in Minsk (or Mihnsk as they spell it on facebook) and actually joined facebook on 26th June 2011, when they were just a two-piece, consisting of Sergey Gvozdyukevich (organ, flute, bass, guitars and vocals) and Vladimir Sobolevsky (guitars, bass and keyboards).

The band is now nominally a four-piece, with multi-instrumentalist Sergey Gvozdyukevich handling most of the writing, as well as the vocals. Reed player Vitaly Appow, from Rational Diet and more recently Five-Storey Ensemble, appears on many of the tracks, adding melodic counterpoint to Gvozdyukevich’s flute and keys.

Of Things That Never Were

CD 2013, Fading Records FAD011

1. L'Impasse Sainte Bérégonne (4:26)
2. Shelieth (8:28)
3. Ladybird On A Moebius Strip (1:47)
4. The Pear-Shaped Man (5:16)
5. Dawn Angel (2:03)
6. Pirates In Pingaree (7:43)
7. The Magi (1:43)
8. Soleil Noir (6:10)
9. The Curfew (7:42)
10. Return To The Cold Sea Of Nothing (9:50)
11. Hope (2:22)

Total Time 57:21

Album art and band pic in Svetonio's original post. More pics on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thewormouroboros/photos_stream.

Edit: The band were around as a unit well before they joined facebook. The video in the o.p. is from the 2009 InProg festival in Moscow, and the Russian text that accompanies it gives the following line-up for that performance:

- Sergei Gvozdyukevich / organ, synthesizer, flute, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Vladimir Sobolewski / guitar, keyboards
- Andrey Buneyev / bass
- Eugene Zarkhin / drums

So it can be seen that a change of bass player happened at some stage in the interim period, since the current line-up is:

- Sergei Gvozdyukevich / keyboards, acoustic guitar, bass, flutes, voice
- Vladimir Sobolewski / electric and acoustic guitars
- Alexey Zapolsky / bass
- Eugene Zarkhin / drums
with:
- Vitaly Appow / reeds

Former bass player Andrey Buneyev went on to become the bassist with Minsk-based Indie Rock band 'Clover Club', who were formed in 2010: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/clover_club.

Last.fm say that The Worm Ouroboros "became a member" on 8th May 2008, and give the bass player's name as "Yankeppey", so there may well have been two previous bass players: http://www.last.fm/music/the+worm+ouroboros.

The band is on proggnosis, but their bio shows that little effort actually went into the addition...unlike us good folk at progarchives! http://www.proggnosis.com/ARTIST_DETAIL.aspx?AID=11660, from where we can obtain:

"Artist Info/Bio:
Improve this database: Send Artist Info/Bio to : ProGGnosis Webmaster " LOL

Edited by yam yam - August 01 2014 at 12:59
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 18:29

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Not added yet.

(...)
There are some suggestions that are being evaluated for years, PA's wheels are working slow sometimes, (....)
I know that the eval process sometimes takes a long time and I have no problem with that.
However, I'm afraid that this is a different case.
Admin said this in his post from February 23, 2014 

Quote Originally posted by Gulbamsen

^It'd be nice, if you could check the eval process before you post something like this Diego. Had you taken out the time to read the latest posts in the eclectic thread, you'd have seen that this band is cleared for inclusion

So the eval process did not take much time in this case.
The band is cleared and it's not nice to go half a year that is not added yet to the database. It's not good for the site imo.

Hello Svetonio.

I don't mind evaluating the two dozen bands you find each week on bandcamp.  But you need to be cognizant of three important things: 

First, this is all volunteer work by people who are not employees of M@X, and thus have careers, families, and other interests outside of this site.  Activity ebbs and flows, and that's especially true of our team.  Is that a failing?  Perhaps.  But I don't care if it is.  I like my wife, kids, projects, games, cooking, books, and beer more than I do this site.

Second, at one time, this site did not allow (or was reluctant to allow) artists without a physical product or a label.  I went to the mat regarding that, because I believed that the way people consume and experience music would eventually make labels obsolete or at least less relevant, and I think we are seeing proof of that now.

Third, and most importantly, it is very easy to suggest a band.  Everyone does it.  Lots of people do it- people other than you.  What most suggesters sometimes don't do is provide biographical information, photos, and things that would make the job much, much easier.

In this very thread, Sagichim said he was working on a biography after having contacted the band.  I (as the now highest ranking member of the team) don't like to step on toes.  If someone volunteers for something, I leave him to it.  If you needed an update, did you PM him?  Or me?  Was it necessary to tell everyone how ashamed we ought to be?

By the way, I am not at all ashamed.  We have finally recovered from a five-year backlog, having lost a few dedicated members.  That was not easy.  I am actually celebrating.

One way of handling a lack of graciousness is to systematically reject every band you suggest henceforth.  But I won't do that.  You see, I know lots of other things not good for the site too.  Stern Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>