FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp me build a Punk music collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 08:03
This may be an outsider rec, but check out Suicide's first two albums. Electronic punk if there ever was such a thing. Gloomy, desolate, raw and strangely melodic - I also really dig the vocals. 
Anyway Suicide is one of the most influential, albeit oddly obscure punk artists from the 70s - at least from the American scene. I've seen many punk n post-punk acts mention them as a huge inspiration. I can't remember where I saw it, but there was also a film about the American punk scene, where Suicide was compared with The Velvet Underground - not soundwise though, It was suggested that every kid who went to a gig of theirs winded up making their own band.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 22 2013 at 08:04
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 08:16
Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

I do have S&tB's debut (the only Siouxsie in my collection actually), it reminds me of The Cure's debut which was also quite Punk in it's sound. 
You should also get Tinderbox ,which is one of the best post-punk albums ever.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 08:16
Also check out Turbonegro, whose satire of not just early punk but also 1970s glam rock (early David Bowie, Slade, The Sweet etc) actually is on the same level of musical quality as the classics in the genres they make fun of. Surefire contenders for the title of funniest band in modern rock. (they got a new singer on their latest album, which might take some time getting used to)

They're the kind of "gimmick band" who wouldn't work anywhere as well without the central gimmick, something you don't find often.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 08:23
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Suicidal Tendencies - self titled (early 'crossover' classic, it has "Institutionalized"...'nuff said)
D.R.I. - Dealing With It (hyper-fast hardcore aided by Kurt's wildly enthusiastic vocals)
Yes, two more great ones I grew up with.  In fact, Suicidal T's debut was my first hardcore album.  I was working in a record store in Miami, and when the store was closing and the cashiers were tallying up their registers, sometimes they'd put that album (brand new at the time).  I was totally shocked and fascinated by it.  I wasn't even sure I liked it, but it was so thrilling I bought my own copy anyway.

Edited by HolyMoly - December 22 2013 at 08:24
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 08:24
Speaking of crossover thrash, if you aren't put off by very "politically incorrect" lyrics check out the mighty CARNIVORE, the late great Peter Steele's band before Type O Negative. Basically, imagine what a collaboration between Manowar and GG Allin would sound like.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 08:25
^^^I've seen a few of gigs of theirs, and they were great - or maybe that was the booze talking. Roskilde festival shows are always hard to recollect, I find...  
Anyway I went ahead and bought an album of theirs based on the strength of that gig, Ass Cobra, and it wasn't what I was expecting. I don't think I've played it more than twice actuallyEmbarrassed 

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 22 2013 at 08:26
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 13:11
johnny thunders and the heartbreakers
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 02:59
The Screamers. Another of the L.A. punk pioneers.

and anything with Jello Biafra including his spoken word albums.
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 04:59
In the spirit of season I present a couple songs by Fossil Fuel, the dumbest band on the planet.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 05:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^^^I've seen a few of gigs of theirs, and they were great - or maybe that was the booze talking. Roskilde festival shows are always hard to recollect, I find...  
Anyway I went ahead and bought an album of theirs based on the strength of that gig, Ass Cobra, and it wasn't what I was expecting. I don't think I've played it more than twice actuallyEmbarrassed 
Turbonegros live sounds is damn near closer to thrash metal then to punk in my (y)ears, very bottom heavy and dirty, more like slayer then a punk band

Edited by aginor - December 23 2013 at 05:03
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 05:04
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Turbonegros live sounds is damn near closer to thrash metal then to punk in my (y)ears, very bottom heavy and dirty, more like slayer then a punk band

That's probably pretty accurate AgiSmile

- Douglas Adams
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 05:08
and they are alsp quite good musicians, Kurt Schreiner is a music genius and a seriously rock composer, sheck out the band Euroboys, very psychedelic and heavy

as for Punk try Norwegian acts Raga Rockers and Kjøtt (Meat)

this song is for you DavidBanmsen

Edited by aginor - December 23 2013 at 05:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 05:35
The bottom-end heaviness in TN's live sound probably comes from the early-1980s hardcore punk style which had a lot of musical overlap with the Motörhead/Venom type of speed metal that was popular at the time. (including to some extent the first Slayer LP) Not that much ideological overlap, mind you: There was a hilarious feud between Black Flag and Venom back then based entirely in each group finding the other's stage banter goofy as hell...

Edited by Toaster Mantis - December 23 2013 at 05:43
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 06:04
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Suicidal Tendencies - self titled (early 'crossover' classic, it has "Institutionalized"...'nuff said)
D.R.I. - Dealing With It (hyper-fast hardcore aided by Kurt's wildly enthusiastic vocals)
Yes, two more great ones I grew up with.  In fact, Suicidal T's debut was my first hardcore album.  I was working in a record store in Miami, and when the store was closing and the cashiers were tallying up their registers, sometimes they'd put that album (brand new at the time).  I was totally shocked and fascinated by it.  I wasn't even sure I liked it, but it was so thrilling I bought my own copy anyway.

My intro to Suicidal Tendencies was from, believe it or not, the Repo Man soundtrack my friend had. I remember hearing "Institutionalized" and thinking, "this is insane...I need this!"

I'm a huge fan of 80s crossover acts, although despite being a metal fan, I actually prefer many of these acts when they leaned to the punk side of things (rawer & faster) than when they polished up their sound and grew their hair longer.

I'm also figuring out that my taste in US hardcore leans to the west coast far more than the east coast. I never could get into the straightforward brutish bands like Agnostic Front despite owning a couple of their albums.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 07:41
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

The bottom-end heaviness in TN's live sound probably comes from the early-1980s hardcore punk style which had a lot of musical overlap with the Motörhead/Venom type of speed metal that was popular at the time. (including to some extent the first Slayer LP) Not that much ideological overlap, mind you: There was a hilarious feud between Black Flag and Venom back then based entirely in each group finding the other's stage banter goofy as hell...
have you heard any Raga Rockers, or Kjøtt, ?, if you have Spotify i highly recommend Ragas first album The Return of the Raga Rockers, dark punk of gloomy post punky flavor 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 12:50
Been recommended them, by a Norwegian associate of mine. (Lasse Holmberg Josephsen, who sometimes writes for Vice Magazine offshoot webzine Street Carnage)

Now, here's some more respectable stuff:

Syphilitic Vaginas

Brainbombs

Sockeye

catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 18:06
I want to say a big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. There seems to be so many bands playing music in this style that I think we could easily populate a "Punk Archives" site. This is good. It means I have much to explore. Looking forward to more recommendations if anyone has any to offer.

From reviewing all the posts so far it seems there is no one particular band that got an avalanche of recommendations, but I saw The Minutemen, At the Drive-In, Drive Like Jehu, Fear, and This Heat at least a couple times.

I have a couple of bands I'd like to offer as recent discoveries of my own...

I didn't see anyone mention Crass. The only words I can make out start with the letter F, but it sounds like my cup of tea.

I also recently saw the The Punk Singer a new documentary about Kathleen Hanna, the frontwoman for "riot grrrl" band Bikini Kill. I want to find more female fronted bands like her's.

Edited by catfood03 - December 24 2013 at 18:06
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 18:18
On a side note, if you want to dig some classic female punkish music, check out the first Nina Hagen album, it's great !

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 18:54
Crass kick ass!Headbanger
Magma America Great Make Again
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 19:10
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

On a side note, if you want to dig some classic female punkish music, check out the first Nina Hagen album, it's great !

Didn't know she was connected to the punk scene. I'll check her stuff out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>