Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs classical influence essential to prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 18:44
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

What the hell happened with this thread since the afternoon?
Indeed. I thought this thread is about what its title suggests.

Indeed.
Well then gentlemen, I've produced a few hundred words on this subject over the weekend where I believe I have raised several meaningful and on-topic points that I would humbly presume were worthy of this subject in spite of the minor pedants excursion I inflicted upon you all today, so since you are so keen that this discussion follows the more lofty course...

...the floor is all yours.

Stern Smile

Edited by Dean - February 24 2014 at 18:47
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 21:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

What the hell happened with this thread since the afternoon?
Indeed. I thought this thread is about what its title suggests.

Indeed.
Well then gentlemen, I've produced a few hundred words on this subject over the weekend where I believe I have raised several meaningful and on-topic points that I would humbly presume were worthy of this subject in spite of the minor pedants excursion I inflicted upon you all today, so since you are so keen that this discussion follows the more lofty course...

...the floor is all yours.

Stern Smile

Do they even make soap boxes anymore? I mean, with the proliferation of cardboard, one has very little to stand on, both literally and metaphorically.

In regards to the recent incursions and excursions, I always appreciate Dean's irascible wit, particularly his uncanny ability to offer irascibility in polyphonic measures. Throw in a mellotron and his irascibility is progressive.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 22:51

There's something I've become more and more confused about regarding the
exact definition of "progressive rock" recently, in part because my own
knowledge of music theory is very basic and I'm not sure exactly how to
test the argument in practice.I get the impression there's two contrasting definitions of the genre/movement. The first defines "progressive" as just thinking outside the box in terms of style and theme, progress here meaning moving the genre forwards and not really being a specific style. The second
one has "progressive rock" refer to progress within a composition, as
in abandoning the cyclical verse/chorus song structure of pop/rock
tradition in favour of a classically inspired sonata format dominated by
linear forwards progression. (I think this is the definition J. Derogatis uses in his book Turn On Your Mind: Four Decades of Great Psychedelic Rock) Under this definition bands like ELP, Genesis, King Crimson and Yes would be prog. However, groups like Hawkwind, Jethro Tull or Pink Floyd
would at best have ten songs each that qualify as prog... instead being
classified as "art rock" under this definition. (a categorization I'm
still not sure exactly what means - when I first encountered it I saw it
used as a synonym for progressive rock, but now I'm far from certain as
you can see)The plot thickens: Then there's the question of how much stuff like Captain Beefheart
or much of Krautrock would count as prog under the second definition.
Its classical influences come from very different sources (Stravinsky,
Stockhausen, Varese etc.) and is more about deconstructing the building
blocks or structural ideas behind music than constructing lengthy
complex pieces of music.Can anyone here clear things up for me?
I'm curious to find out how the genre categorizations of "art rock" and
"progressive rock" have evolved historically, in specific how much
influence from classical music has been an essential part of the latter. Should mention that Derogatis' book uses the classical influence to draw the line between progressive rock and psychedelic rock instead, the latter I'm certainly fine with regarding as a "cultural movement" at least as much as a style of music.

Hello Toaster Mantis
That's a difficult question to answer
I am a nincompoop and in my opinion classic music plays a big part in prog considering that all the music notes were discovered by then also besides many great known artists the best drummers to me were classically trained from Bruford to Zoltan (former Flower Kings). Jazz drummers are very diverse and what they share in common is the spot on perfect rhythmic timing. Incredible really. xxxxxx Yes prog has the experimental side however they carry with them the virtuosity as well     another
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:29
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

also besides many great known artists the best drummers to me were classically trained from Bruford to Zoltan (former Flower Kings). 

Ermm I'll give you Zoltan but Bruford was not "classically trained".

The number of Prog musicians who were "classically trained" is a really tiny number, I hesitate to use the word "few" but few it certainly is. 
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:43

also besides many great known artists the best drummers to me were classically trained from Bruford to Zoltan (former Flower Kings). 

The number of Prog musicians who were "classically trained" is a really tiny number, I hesitate to use the word "few" but few it certainly is. 

Dean!!! Yay hello!!
As much as I like you and you are most awesome, this time you got it wrong, Bruford was classically trained, look it up on google, you'll get many hits anyway a massive super hug to you
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 02:16

Dean!!! Yay hello!!
As much as I like you and you are most awesome, this time you got it wrong, Bruford was classically trained, look it up on google, you'll get many hits anyway a massive super hug to you
Ermm to think that I'd make such a school boy error...

..not a chance. LOL 

In order to understand all those google hits you actually have to follow the links and read them. Sorry Sonia, but in spite of the many google hits, Bruford was not classically trained.

I asked google if you were classically trained and got 11,500 hits.

What?
thoroc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 04:09
guess you could say he was "kinda" classical trained, as according to Bruford's biography he got lessons from Lou Pocock in his youth and Pocock was drummer of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at that time.

But according to himself his influences were mostly Pop, Jazz and Blues in his youth -> http://www.billbruford.com/downloads/interviews_2003_with_joe_milliken.pdf

T.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 04:20
Originally posted by thoroc thoroc wrote:

guess you could say he was "kinda" classical trained, as according to Bruford's biography he got lessons from Lou Pocock in his youth and Pocock was drummer of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at that time.

But according to himself his influences were mostly Pop, Jazz and Blues in his youth -> http://www.billbruford.com/downloads/interviews_2003_with_joe_milliken.pdf

T.
Yes, exactly. He took a few lessons from Pocock as a school boy, that does not equate to being "classical trained". In many interviews he has said he is not trained.
What?
Dragonsword View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 06:41
Personally I think classical music is helpful towards the genre of prog but not necessarily essential. Prog is generally a mix of all styles of music and can contain elements of pop, rock, jazz, tribal, classical and whatever else the imagination can come up with. 

What is essential however and is of the utmost importance is discipline in the field of your chosen intsrument, and from that point of view some degree of formal training can often (but again not necessarily always) be a big advantage.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 07:55
Hi,

Classical music "training" is a strange beast. Our house in Santa Barbara had over 3k albums of classical music, from the earliest you ever conceived to the latest, including Penderecki, Russell, and Stockhausen. It lacked Tomita, Riley, which I added, btw.

So, by the time I heard rock music, I was already familiar with Vivaldi, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky ... and you can ask. Is that "classical training". Musically speaking it is NOT. But it influenced EVERTHING I listen to and like and discuss here for the next 50 years! To me, STILL, a long piece in rock music, is no different than a concerto or a symphony. It has the same "visual story" for me, when I hear it ... I mean it has a story that my mind sees, and it's not the same of course, but it is the same in that the music LIGHTS UP my imagination.

It always DID, and much more so than the lyrics, because a lot of rock lyrics don't measure up, and are just empty words. You can not compare a Janis in Ball and Chain, with Jim in several pieces, and then hear Renata Tebaldi in Turandot, or Maria Callas in Carmen, or Boris Christoff in that Boris opera, and then you listen to Mick Jagger, and it's hard to take him seriously, in 9 out of 10 songs!

In that sense, for me, it is an influence, as to how some instrumentation was used and such, up to and including a voice, but we're taking this to mean note by note and by note and staff, and I doubt that half the music in progressive was even down on a piece of paper until after it was done! In this sense, Dean was right, that most of it was a riff this or that, and it was developed or changed into something else, although I still say, you mean Mozart never did that on his piano/harpsichord?

I think he, and others, always did, so there is no concern for me in that spot.

Music is almost always an influence, and it maybe subtle and it might not be. But pretty soon someone is gonna say that their greatest influence is the Missa Bubba Looba Gatooma from Pluto and we're gonna go ... what?

And there are times, when we superimpose ourselves and our own influences, on someone else or ideas, which sometimes is the worst part of it all. Specially when we're discussing this thread!

Edited by moshkito - February 25 2014 at 08:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 08:13
So many words, so little meaning.

One can watch opera for hours, that doesn't make one Maria Callas or Enrico Caruso; likewise, listening to classical music for however many decades does not make one "classically" trained, any more than listening to King Crimson until your ears bleed makes you Robert Fripp. One can be more discerning taste-wise listening to classical music (although the jury is out on the actual levels of discernment), but listening is only part of "training" -- the real endeavor is the hours of practice daily within a classical regimen.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 25 2014 at 08:14
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 09:37
I do believe that the influence of Classical in Prog is essential to us and in a past tense. To say that it is not essential doesn't make good sense to me. I was classically trained and I toured theatres with progressive rock musicians for years. How could it not be essential? The seed was planted by musicians who were thought to be disgraceful by the high society Classical world. You have to give the prog musicians credit because no one who takes music that seriously would find an "ass in a sling" situation like that to be rewarding...nonetheless insulting when a group of Julliard's are attacking you at the social gathering because they heard your record and believe you are repulsive, dressing in your pathetic prog costumes.

Some believe that Classical reflections are a fine addition to composition in Prog Rock, but have no problem believing it's not essential ..and making it seem like an unsupportable quality. I think the dismissal of it would prove otherwise and not just because the existence of it is past tense, we all grew up with it, and digested the essence of it. ..but for the simple obvious logic that Classical music added a very unique personality to Progressive Rock..all on it's own and out of respect for the signature lines that were stolen/adapted/ lifted , I must render that the study of Classical is very exacting. Talented prog musicians who had little knowledge of Classical music and were able to play those lines were amazing to hear and see. I really respect that aspect and it carries a lot of glory within it's purpose. In 1974..dancing to 20 minute , multi-movement epics played in 9/8 time was NOT out of the question. I think that what the obvious tells us is ridiculous because that is merely an observation of surface knowledge and it ruhns quite deeper than that if you are a musician. A variety of rhythms which are unexpected are very easily adaptable when following the groove. "Birds of Fire" and "Eruption" contain a percussive groove. People were dancing to those stolen signature lines from Classical music in the 70's. In that sense...I believe Classical is essential to Prog. Society related to it.

Edited by TODDLER - February 25 2014 at 09:45
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 10:04
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

One can watch opera for hours, that doesn't make one Maria Callas or Enrico Caruso; likewise, listening to classical music for however many decades does not make one "classically" trained, any more than listening to King Crimson until your ears bleed makes you Robert Fripp. One can be more discerning taste-wise listening to classical music (although the jury is out on the actual levels of discernment), but listening is only part of "training" -- the real endeavor is the hours of practice daily within a classical regimen.
This is so true. 

Anyway, I really don't see classical as having THAT big of an influence on prog. Not in structure, not in thematic treatment, only casually in more superficial (not derogatory, I mean above the surface) things like instrumentation. And that's it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 11:35
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

This is so true. 

Anyway, I really don't see classical as having THAT big of an influence on prog. Not in structure, not in thematic treatment, only casually in more superficial (not derogatory, I mean above the surface) things like instrumentation. And that's it. 

To b*****dize Elgar, there was a level of "pomp and grandiloquence" inherent in the Classical Age of Prog (that time of legend after Henry the VIII I Am and prior to Sir Sidney Vicious). Flourishes of classical music in rock lent an aura of legitimization to a mongrel form. It was just as integral to the rock scene as Rick Wakeman's glittery frocks, Elton John's eyeglasses, Floyd's giant pig, Alice Cooper's boa, and David Bowie's...ummm...gender.

If you were ELP, Deep Purple or Procol Harum, you'd hire a whole damn orchestra -- because you could! It may have been superficial, but it was damn fun at the start. Perhaps prog started to wane in prominence when bands began to take themselves all too seriously. Constipation in rock does not bode well for the bowels.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 07:37

One can watch opera for hours, that doesn't make one Maria Callas or Enrico Caruso; likewise, listening to classical music for however many decades does not make one "classically" trained, any more than listening to King Crimson until your ears bleed makes you Robert Fripp.

Ohhh, I see! So you listening to KC and "progressive music" doesn't influence your words? It doesn't make you a Fripp, but your post and attitude is very Fripp! I didn't say it made you a Calls or Caruso! YOU DID! But if you loved that piece, it will influence you in one way or another, sooner or later, even without you knowing it.

It doesn't make you that person, of course not, and your suggestion is rather cheap. But, in many things through life, there are threads that seem to match and stick together. I don't see many differences between a "riff" and a "theme:  in a symphony, except this one instrument is simplifying things (rock music) and only working the melody, but then not all composers did a whole lot away from the melody or main "theme" in any piece of music, did they?

Be it, intentional or NOT, is another story, and one that we're confusing here and making the thread worse and more difficult to follow and discuss. But it would be bad to say that one has a shiny a$h and the other doesn't, and that is the main difference in influence. It might, even, be totally wrong!

Edited by moshkito - February 26 2014 at 07:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 07:59

And so few words. With nothing to say, except an idea in your head that you think others should paste to their butts!

You completely mis-understood what I wrote, and in fact, I seriously doubt that you even tried it. And next time, do me a favor. Go tell Dostoyevsky that he's an idiot and he should have written his opus in 10 pages for you!

You have no respect for anyone's thoughts on a subject. You still don't know what I believe. You only know what I went through and felt!

There is a difference!

Edited by moshkito - February 26 2014 at 08:00
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 08:13

that is of course absolutely true. I had my first piano lessons at age 6, and I play piano every day. and the first thing I play is one of the preludes and fugues from Bach's "Well-tempered clavier" (a different one each day). Bach is my bread and butter. after that I switch to other composers or play jazz

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 09:10
To say that a drummer or other musician is classically trained does not mean even in the slightest sense that the band they play in has any influence from classical music. 

And a drummer that was classically trained would have even less options to use his classical training to classically influence the music of his/her band, at least from the confines of his/her instrument. Classical music and drums (as in drum-set, not as in single drums) don't get along that well... (here will come the odd example of a piece using a drum-set)  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 09:26

To say that a drummer or other musician is classically trained does not mean even in the slightest sense that the band they play in has any influence from classical music. 

And a drummer that was classically trained would have even less options to use his classical training to classically influence the music of his/her band, at least from the confines of his/her instrument. Classical music and drums (as in drum-set, not as in single drums) don't get along that well... (here will come the odd example of a piece using a drum-set)  
Quite right, Dame Evelyn Glennie is not a drummer.

At one gig a drummer (Paul White is his name) set up his not insubstantial kit and then went through a lengthy mic'ing up and sound balancing process with the sound engineer (a very wise lady who had been in the business many, many years), he finished the sound-check using his usual 'Terry Bozzio' piece which basically boils down to hit everything you've got, and of course to display his drumming prowess. She stood watching appreciatively and as he stood up, seeking some recognition from her, she shook her head "You do know you're not a drummer don't you." Paul looked suitably abashed, before she continued, "You're a bloody percussionist."
What?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 09:26

Well there have been plenty of pieces with drum set since the drum set started existing. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>