Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs classical influence essential to prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 09:38
Which are quite on the fringes of the classical music repertoire.

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 09:44
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

So many words, so little meaning.

One can watch opera for hours, that doesn't make one Maria Callas or Enrico Caruso; likewise, listening to classical music for however many decades does not make one "classically" trained, any more than listening to King Crimson until your ears bleed makes you Robert Fripp. One can be more discerning taste-wise listening to classical music (although the jury is out on the actual levels of discernment), but listening is only part of "training" -- the real endeavor is the hours of practice daily within a classical regimen.

that is of course absolutely true. I had my first piano lessons at age 6, and I play piano every day. and the first thing I play is one of the preludes and fugues from Bach's "Well-tempered clavier" (a different one each day). Bach is my bread and butter. after that I switch to other composers or play jazz

Quite surprised about so many eclectic minds in PA Forum, but if 30 years of classical music is not essencial for anyone who turns out to be a music composer, he would better change his activity. By the way, i'd like to know what the other composers are your cup of coffee or tea, it would be great if you had a site in order for me to listening to your performances, i personally love listening to the romantic Chopins' compositions, maybe my favourite piano pieces.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

So many words, so little meaning.

One can watch opera for hours, that doesn't make one Maria Callas or Enrico Caruso; likewise, listening to classical music for however many decades does not make one "classically" trained, any more than listening to King Crimson until your ears bleed makes you Robert Fripp.

Ohhh, I see! So you listening to KC and "progressive music" doesn't influence your words? It doesn't make you a Fripp, but your post and attitude is very Fripp! I didn't say it made you a Calls or Caruso! YOU DID! But if you loved that piece, it will influence you in one way or another, sooner or later, even without you knowing it.

It doesn't make you that person, of course not, and your suggestion is rather cheap. But, in many things through life, there are threads that seem to match and stick together. I don't see many differences between a "riff" and a "theme:  in a symphony, except this one instrument is simplifying things (rock music) and only working the melody, but then not all composers did a whole lot away from the melody or main "theme" in any piece of music, did they?

Be it, intentional or NOT, is another story, and one that we're confusing here and making the thread worse and more difficult to follow and discuss. But it would be bad to say that one has a shiny a$h and the other doesn't, and that is the main difference in influence. It might, even, be totally wrong!
Reread my post, Mosh. Then read it again. One more time. Good.

My point was, listening to classical music for countless decades or having 3000 albums and a manservant to place the discs on a turntable and another to turn the crank on the Victrola does not make one "classically trained". Listening does not equal training. It is only part of training, just as listening to opera does not equal the vocal training required to be an opera singer. It has nothing to do with how something influences you, or if one's attitude is coalescing into a serendipitous celestial mind-bond with Robert Fripp -- it involves training. Lots of training. With an instrument. The thing that makes the music. 

The only one confusing anything is you (unsurprisingly, the other people who replied to my post understood me completely). I sometimes wonder if you actually know what you've typed. No, really. 

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

And so few words. With nothing to say, except an idea in your head that you think others should paste to their butts!

You completely mis-understood what I wrote, and in fact, I seriously doubt that you even tried it. And next time, do me a favor. Go tell Dostoyevsky that he's an idiot and he should have written his opus in 10 pages for you!

You have no respect for anyone's thoughts on a subject. You still don't know what I believe. You only know what I went through and felt!

There is a difference!
Mosh, it took you two different posts to finish your thoughts. The edit feature is your friend.

And I did not misunderstand you. And Dostoyevsky was not an idiot. He wrote "The Idiot", and my copy has 656 pages. Wait., are you really comparing yourself to Dostoyevsky, and that you need to be expansive in your posts so that we might all bask in the circumlocutious pretzel logic of your metaphysical gobbledygook? Or are you saying that you are an idiot?

Light one patchouli-oil candle for yes, two for no.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 21:26
I think how essential classical influence is to progressive rock depends on the band, really. There are groups like classic ELP or Triumvirat where that is an essential element to quite a bit of the music. (not surprising since Keith Emerson and Jurgen Fritz were classically trained-and it shows)
            Yet, there are lots of progressive rock bands where that influence is not an essential element to the sound being conveyed.
                   One cannot generalise about this aspect with what falls under the gigantic umbrella of progressive rock artists.

Edited by presdoug - February 26 2014 at 21:30
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 22:54
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

also besides many great known artists the best drummers to me were classically trained from Bruford to Zoltan (former Flower Kings). 

Ermm I'll give you Zoltan but Bruford was not "classically trained".
The number of Prog musicians who were "classically trained" is a really tiny number, I hesitate to use the word "few" but few it certainly is. 

Dean!!! Yay hello!!
As much as I like you and you are most awesome, this time you got it wrong, Bruford was classically trained, look it up on google, you'll get many hits anyway a massive super hug to you

Ermm to think that I'd make such a school boy error...
..not a chance. LOL<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"> </span>
In order to understand all those google hits you actually have to follow the links and read them. Sorry Sonia, but in spite of the many google hits, Bruford was not classically trained.
I asked google if you were classically trained and got 11,500 hits.

Cooee!!! Dean, Bruford was highly influenced by jazz drummers this made him want to play drums when he was tiny, HE DID HAVE SOME TRAINING at Lou Pocock of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, which he attended during his school time before he became a professional.
P.S. In reference to this topic too, I did not say he had any kind of masters (or BM, BMus, MusB or MusBac or any kind of Bach sounding word anyway) in classic moozik, I said is that he was first and foremost classically trained. Yes I know he can play very complex pieces yet he might not be able to read every single music note in a composition however he makes more than up for it and beyond by being naturally gifted. hug    
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 23:07

also besides many great known artists the best drummers to me were classically trained from Bruford to Zoltan (former Flower Kings). 

Ermm I'll give you Zoltan but Bruford was not "classically trained".
The number of Prog musicians who were "classically trained" is a really tiny number, I hesitate to use the word "few" but few it certainly is. 

Dean!!! Yay hello!!
As much as I like you and you are most awesome, this time you got it wrong, Bruford was classically trained, look it up on google, you'll get many hits anyway a massive super hug to you

Ermm to think that I'd make such a school boy error...
..not a chance. LOL<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"> </span>
In order to understand all those google hits you actually have to follow the links and read them. Sorry Sonia, but in spite of the many google hits, Bruford was not classically trained.
I asked google if you were classically trained and got 11,500 hits.

Cooee!!! Dean, Bruford was highly influenced by jazz drummers this made him want to play drums when he was tiny, HE DID HAVE SOME TRAINING at Lou Pocock of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, which he attended during his school time before he became a professional.
P.S. In reference to this topic too, I did not say he had any kind of masters (or BM, BMus, MusB or MusBac or any kind of Bach sounding word anyway) in classic moozik, I said is that he was first and foremost classically trained. Yes I know he can play very complex pieces yet he might not be able to read every single music note in a composition however he makes more than up for it and beyond by being naturally gifted. hug    

I need to add that Bill Bruford did acquire a PHD in moozik at a later stage in his life, this had more to do to his ground breaking contributions to music. xxxx
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 02:11

I need to add that Bill Bruford did acquire a PHD in moozik at a later stage in his life, this had more to do to his ground breaking contributions to music. xxxx
We covered the Pocock lessons in your absence, having "a few lessons" from a concert percussionist does not count as "classical training". We use these phrases willy-nilly as if the mean something bloody important, so in that case they must mean something like, you know, actually studying music at a recognised music academy for a prolonged period of time to a prescribed level of achievement. If we reduce the phrase "classically trained" down to meaning "just had a few lessons" then it becomes a meaningless joke rather than a measure of accomplishment, and that belittles the people like Zoltan Csörsz who are "classically trained".

Yes, I know later in life after he had retired from the music biz he got a PhD from Surrey Uni, I also know students who he taught Music Business Management at The Academy of Contemporary Music in Guildford. He is an academic, but he was never "classically trained".

What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 02:14
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I think how essential classical influence is to progressive rock depends on the band, really. There are groups like classic ELP or Triumvirat where that is an essential element to quite a bit of the music. (not surprising since Keith Emerson and Jurgen Fritz were classically trained-and it shows)
            Yet, there are lots of progressive rock bands where that influence is not an essential element to the sound being conveyed.
                   One cannot generalise about this aspect with what falls under the gigantic umbrella of progressive rock artists.

Keith Emerson took piano lessons as a child and has worked closely on orchestral projects with the likes of Joseph Eger and John Mayer but never undertook any formal music study so certainly wasn't classically trained.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 02:39

Sorry Doug, but Emerson was not "classically trained", it is a myth that we here in the Prog world seem to be destined to perpetuate from now to eternity. He had some formal lessons age 8, which he later dropped. In the UK formal music lessons employ the grade system (from 1 - 8) that serve as entry qualifications to higher level of study which is where "classical training" actually begins.
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 02:47

We covered the Pocock lessons in your absence, having "a few lessons" from a concert percussionist does not count as "classical training". We use these phrases willy-nilly as if the mean something bloody important, so in that case they must mean something like, you know, actually studying music at a recognised music academy for a prolonged period of time to a prescribed level of achievement. If we reduce the phrase "classically trained" down to meaning "just had a few lessons" then it becomes a meaningless joke rather than a measure of accomplishment, and that belittles the people like Zoltan Csörsz who are "classically trained"<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">.</span>
Yes, I know later in life after he had retired from the music biz he got a PhD from Surrey Uni, I also know students who he taught Music Business Management at The Academy of Contemporary Music in Guildford. He is an academic, but he was never "classically trained".

Dean, you made a good counter argument and you are right too. In terms of this topic that prog is or not influenced by classic music, both drummers that I mentioned I think was right too in this case because even Bruford was most inspired by American Jazz drummers as to become a drummer and jazz drummers currently are classified as classic jazz music. All this said, yes you made a good point and I agree thus am looking at it with a completely different view.   

Edited by Kati - February 27 2014 at 02:48
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 02:50

Dean, you made a good counter argument and you are right too. In terms of this topic that prog is or not influenced by classic music, both drummers that I mentioned I think was right too in this case because even Bruford was most inspired by American Jazz drummers as to become a drummer and jazz drummers currently are classified as classic jazz music. All this said, yes you made a good point and I agree thus am looking at it with a completely different view.   
Sonia, I don't do this very often (if at all really), but in a purely platonic sense Hug
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 02:55

Sonia, I don't do this very often (if at all really), but in a purely platonic sense Hug

Wow and yay!!! Dean! I'll take it! Puff grabbed the hug!! It's mine, before you change your mind hihihi
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 06:28

Sorry Doug, but Emerson was not "classically trained", it is a myth that we here in the Prog world seem to be destined to perpetuate from now to eternity. He had some formal lessons age 8, which he later dropped. In the UK formal music lessons employ the grade system (from 1 - 8) that serve as entry qualifications to higher level of study which is where "classical training" actually begins.

To be classical influenced at a degree, a Classic Prog Rock band didn't need to be "classically trained" or to be submitted to a "classical formal education". The same i said before, how in earth classical music was not essencial to a musician who listened to it for 30 years ?? Sorry, but i don't get your point.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 06:42
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

To be classical influenced at a degree, a Classic Prog Rock band didn't need to be "classically trained" or to be submitted to a "classical formal education". The same i said before, how in earth classical music was not essencial to a musician who listened to it for 30 years ?? Sorry, but i don't get your point.
No one is denying that Keith Emerson was classically influenced, his solo music and that with The Nice and ELP is more than enough evidence that he was indeed influenced by classical music. This is not what is meant by the phrase "classically trained". When you read that in a biography of a musician it means something very specific. It is not a throw-away phrase that we can use to describe someone who is influenced by classical music or who can play classical pieces. (There is more to being "classically trained" than just being able to play at a prescribed level of competence, but we need not go into that here).

I agree with everything you have said btw, however my point was not directed at the thread topic, but at the claim that Emerson was classically trained.

What?
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 02:14
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

We all know early Crimso is the best. Discipline is mainly prog, but certainly also new wave on a less integral level (whereas something like Magazine would be the other way around... or post-punk, it's basically the same. I use 'new wave' as the umbrella). It's the best album that has anything to do with that usually obnoxious style by an enormous margin.

We all know that sometimes our opinions appear to us as irrefutable facts
but that's just the nature of passion I guessWink. I'm not sure however that we all know what you mean by that usually obnoxious style?

What I get from your post is this:

1 - what I like
must have a connection to Prog or be predominantly Prog
2 - what I don't like
cannot be remotely connected to Prog or contains sufficient new wave influences to qualify as obnoxious.

Why do people on this site continually feel the need to seek justification for their tastes by their resemblance to limiting aesthetic criteria that flourished for a brief few years during the 70's? I love the Clash and ELP, I love Echo & the Bunnymen and Gentle Giant, I love Can and the Fall (so did Mark E Smith) I love the Velvet Underground and the Nice, I love the Sex Pistols and VDGG (so did John Lydon) I love XTC and Greenslade. Whenever I get pulled over by the fashion cops for such perceived offences, I have to say that for me there is no contradiction, one style does not negate the other, music is an indivisible whole that only marketing has tried to carve up by way of foisting artificial brand loyalties upon those consumers.feckless enough to believe their feelings have finally dissolved into facts.

You got some bizarre things out of my post.

I don't like minimalist, tinny sounding bands that lack in melody and dynamics, and nowhere am I seeking 'justification' for that. It's fine if you do. The police are not after you. You seem to be responding to some imaginary persecution you've felt in the past rather than to my post.

Ok, at least you are now describing music using parameters that exist independently of Prog Thumbs Up but anyone who describes artists they don't like as tinny sounding, lacking in melody and dynamics or obnoxious clearly has dispensed entirely with objectivity and will never free themselves from the trap of confusing their feelings with facts. My criticism of your original post centered around your dislike of new wave/post-punk based entirely on how much/little Prog it/they contained.If that's not what you meant then I would apologise but how else should we interpret your post?Confused

Hmm, "tinny sounding and lacking in melody and dynamics" is an objective description that I think clearly fits the vast majority of new wave/post-punk. It's up to the individual as to whether they consider those traits good or bad (it baffles me that anyone would consider them good, but I won't lose sleep over it). "Obnoxious" is a subjective term of course.

My earlier post certainly made it clear how I felt about each style, but it doesn't anywhere demonstrate my like/dislike to be based categorically around style (it's just that new wave almost categorically contains elements I dislike). The Police are an exception at least some of the time, in that their songs often have a sense of 'space' to them.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 07:14

Hmm, "tinny sounding and lacking in melody and dynamics" is an objective description that I think clearly fits the vast majority of new wave/post-punk. It's up to the individual as to whether they consider those traits good or bad (it baffles me that anyone would consider them good, but I won't lose sleep over it). "Obnoxious" is a subjective term of course.

My earlier post certainly made it clear how I felt about each style, but it doesn't anywhere demonstrate my like/dislike to be based categorically around style (it's just that new wave almost categorically contains elements I dislike). The Police are an exception at least some of the time, in that their songs often have a sense of 'space' to them.

Tinny - Having a displeasingly thin, metallic sound (Oxford Eng Dict)

I'd guess that Close to the Edge or Tarkus might be deemed to sound 'tinny' or 'lacking in dynamics' if heard on a very cheap transistor radio or through very small speakers but are you seriously suggesting that post punk/new wave is irredeemably flawed because it lacks the same bandwidth that is available to other styles of music? Is it composed and engineered to accentuate the treble frequencies at the expense of those at the bottom end (have you heard Jah 'sub sonic dub' Wobble on Metal Box by PIL?)

No, that much is self evident, your myopic view is transparently clear i.e. if you like music that is tinny sounding and lacking in melody and dynamics, then i respect your right to listen to sh*t music. I've heard that vainglorious argument on these forums for years.LOL Apart from the Police (who I loathe heartily) can you name 10 artists in the field of Pop/Rock that you like?

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 08:37

A monastery is a residence of a community of monks. The way of life is very disciplined. If you take music seriously ..you must adapt the same role. I spent 5 years with a teacher studying the Classical guitar /music and perfecting a good tone. Bread and water was my diet along with 1 meal of bird helpings. 15 hours a day is not enough to be masterful in a timely fashion. More like 20 hours a day for weeks on end and with 3 to 4 hours sleep a night. I had no other activities and no social life whatsoever. I gave it up to combine my knowledge with other styles of music and concentrated on composition. Many Progressive Rock musicians have followed this path and many have a natural ear to learn Classical and have little training. You must dismiss all teachings of other styles in order to reach the level of Christopher Parkening or Segovia. Progressive Rock musicians add reflections of Classical music to create signature lines to their epics. They are not fully devoted to the life of a Classical musician. It is merely a adaption which is applied to their music. There is such a contrast between the 2 worlds.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 11:24
I don't understand how, say, Juju could be 'objectively' described as tinny.  More like lazy, vague description?  It sounds pretty full to me and I don't even consider it a particularly high quality recording from the period.   King Crimson 776 earlier widened the meaning of new wave enough to include Magazine.  In that case, how do tracks like Parade or You Never Knew Me OBJECTIVELY lack dynamics or melody?  Give me McGeoch's brilliant, if short, solo on the latter track over Howe's jarring tones on CTTE any day.  No, I am not claiming that to be an objective statement because I am not snob enough to do so. Wink
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 19:16

I'd guess that Close to the Edge or Tarkus might be deemed to sound 'tinny' or 'lacking in dynamics' if heard on a very cheap transistor radio or through very small speakers but are you seriously suggesting that post punk/new wave is irredeemably flawed because it lacks the same bandwidth that is available to other styles of music? Is it composed and engineered to accentuate the treble frequencies at the expense of those at the bottom end (have you heard Jah 'sub sonic dub' Wobble on Metal Box by PIL?)

No, that much is self evident, your myopic view is transparently clear i.e. if you like music that is tinny sounding and lacking in melody and dynamics, then i respect your right to listen to sh*t music. I've heard that vainglorious argument on these forums for years.LOL Apart from the Police (who I loathe heartily) can you name 10 artists in the field of Pop/Rock that you like?

I know there are exceptions but it generally does sound very sharp and tinny, and samey in terms of dynamics. There are even less exceptions in terms of the flatness of melody. Magazine is a bit better than I recalled though actually.

New wave is hardly the definitive 'pop/rock'. That would be the stuff from the 60's, and I like a fair amount of that. I have my problems with 60's 'production' and instrumental tones etc. though.

@ rogerthat, lol, yeah... I actually do find Yes' instrumental tones obnoxious much of the time.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 04:08
Staying off-topic for a moment, I get the feeling that apples are being compared to oranges again, or more specifically: the worse of something that someone doesn't like is being compared to the best of what they do like. 

Even when making generalisations (a valid thing to do when framed correctly) we should be comparing like for like, so since Porg is a subset of 70s rock music then any any discussion of 80s new-wave should be restricted to a comparative subset of new-wave by a similar Venn-diagram of record-buying tastes that would exclude (for example) radio-friendly Top-40 synthpop from the equation. If we do that then any criticism of tonal quality and dynamic range can draw upon specific examples that are worthy of comparison.

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>