Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFall Of Echoes (USA): Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall Of Echoes (USA): Heavy Prog
    Posted: January 03 2014 at 10:45
Here is an interesting collaboration which yielded a solitary (but very fine) album - 'Red Tree' - in 2006, which has an extensive web presence, but no mention that I can find anywhere on this site. Ermm

"The meaning behind the name F.O.E. is simple..."We feel that biblical truth, for the most part, has been lost on this generation and the echoing unchanging message thats been given has fallen on deaf ears and rejectful hearts". The title "Red Tree" is symbolic of the wood cross that Christ shed his blood on for all of us that we may be saved from all that is fallen and broken in each of us."

"Fall Of Echoes represents a collaboration between Orphan Project lead vocalist Shane Lankford and Visual Cliff guitarist Rob Perez.  Working together for the first time in 2005 when Lankford contributed the vocal tracks to three songs on the Visual Cliff release Freedom Within, the two formed a bond and soon began talking about the possibility of joining their talents and creating a full length album.  The end result of their efforts is Fall Of Echoes and its very fine 2006 debut Red Tree.

What Fall Of Echoes delivers is a straightforward hard rock sound in which the progressive and symphonic leanings of Orphan Project are merged with the best fusion elements of Visual Cliff.  While the band is at its best on guitar driven tracks such as “Groaning” and “Land Of No Choices”, I find the more acoustic laced sounds of “9th Floor” and “Red Tree” to hold up equally well.  Some of the albums finest moments, however, take place on progressive influenced numbers like “Mr. Orion” – with its extended jam sessions – and the creative time changes characteristic to “Darkness Inside” and “Beyond My Closed Eyes”.  In the end, Red Tree comes with a strong recommendation to fans of not only Orphan Project and Visual Cliff, but to those who are into Shadow Gallery, King’s X, Mike Florio and Neal Morse as well.

Lankford’s rich and warm sounding vocal style helps to give the band its signature sound, his impassioned delivery helping to put “9th Floor”, “Beyond My Closed Eyes” and other standout tracks over the top.  I can honestly say that he is one of my favorite vocalists to his the scene in recent years.  Rob Perez proves a virtuoso on guitar, contributing the albums air tight work on rhythm guitar in addition to playing a major role in its songwriting.  Rick Mals, also of Visual Cliff, was brought in on drums and lead guitar, adorning “Land Of No Choices” with his searing leads while cutting loose in bluesy fashion on “Beyond My Closed Eyes”. Orphan Project bassist Bill Yost was brought in to help anchor the albums low end.

Production values are excellent in showcasing a sound that is full and textured while allowing all the instrumentation to rise above the mix."

"Fall Of Echoes is a new band - yet they aren't new at all. Visual Cliff, usually an all-instrumental progressive fusion band, recently recorded Freedom Within and in a departure from the norm, that record had vocals - supplied by Orphan Project's Shane Lankford. Although the project was a success, it was far from Visual Cliff's usual musical style - so that lineup was spun off into Fall Of Echoes, with Orphan Project and Visual Cliff contributing more or less equally to the new lineup. The sound isn't new - it's essentially similar to Orphan Found and Freedom Within - but heavier, tighter, and there's more cohesion across the whole album.

Progressive hard-rock, is probably the most accurate summary. Lankford's gruff mid-range delivery dominates most sections of most songs with straightforward approachable melodies, and in a style he perfected on the two prior CDs he sang on, he makes liberal use of overdubs for multi-part vocal lines and backing chorals. This contributes to the hard-rock, almost AOR vibe, yet Rob Perez's prog roots ensure the music isn't too linear, and he retains enough complexity to keep your attention over multiple replays - so you get the best of both worlds. Straightforward melodies with hooks, and prog-like instrumentation.

Red Tree is song-oriented with most tracks running around 5 minutes The lyrics are a little abstract and indirect, yet they all have a purpose or carry a message and the overriding impression this record leaves is the artists' sincerity. Almost every track has a religious theme - which is clearly apparent, yet not intrusive. "You Freak Me Out (Y.F.M.O.)", however, has a political theme, examining the mindset of the Muslim extremist. There's no frivolity here - this is all serious stuff, sung and played with an intensity that permeates every note. That concentrated passion is always appreciated in music, yet for their next album, the band might want to avoid a 'samey' quality that creeps into some of the songs.

The hard-edge works well, yet some of the best moments on the CD are in the rare softer sections - such as the introductions to "Little Girl Lost" and the title track. In fact "Red Tree" is the standout cut featuring a pleasing, fat-sounding acoustic guitar over the hard rock, Lankford's singing is a little more laid back here, and the chorals toward the end yield a satisfying, full sound."

Released by Trinity Records, September 25, 2006 (http://www.trinityrecords.net/FallOfEchoes.html)

Track Listing:
1. Groaning (5:18)
2. Mr.Orion (7:37)
3. Darkness Inside (4:04)
4. 9th Floor (5:40)
5. Little Girl Lost (5:04)
6. Red Tree (intro) (1:09)
7. Red Tree (6:08)
8. Land Of No Choices (4:18)
9. You Freak Me Out (4:47)
10. Behind My Closed Eyes (5:17)
11. She Fits Well (3:11)
12. While I'm Alive (5:18)

Total Time 58:21

Available via the Trinity Records link above, iTunes, Amazon etc...or cdbaby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/fallofechoes, where you will find extensive biographies of all the musicians involved.

It's also on spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/6a2FD65jcpsjJTGhWFj8bt, or you can go to another review of the album at http://www.melodic.net/?page=review&id=5061, where the spotify player is already embedded and ready to go.  Smile

There is a myspace: http://www.myspace.com/fallofechoesband (but just four short samples are provided).

Three tubes:

And I guess that'll do....!    Big smile

Edited by yam yam - January 03 2014 at 10:47
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 14:55
first two tracks nay but the third track show some promise - on HP charts, thanks Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply