Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 29>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 17:07
I think it was more about wanting a new challenge, Red Bull are going to be at the front for a few years yet at least.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 17:09
And it seems like the team is starting to get around Ricciardo a little bit more.  If anything, I feel like Vettel didn't see himself winning any more championships there, so if that is a factor, I can't blame him at all.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 01:42
Huzzah drinking! For like the 10th time now I am up and wide awake, thanks to getting home from a night at the pubs, and thus able to catch F1 live!

Looks like a rain race :o

EDIT: WHAT!? Just heard the news during race commentary, Vettel is leaving??
Is this another case of "I lost #1 let me bolt to a team where I can be"?

At least he's handled it better than the others with his talk of "wanting challenges" though I don't fully buy that sh*tLOL

Edited by JJLehto - October 05 2014 at 02:06
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 03:04
Whoa...hope things are OK. No details at all right now except Jules Bianchi apparently went off into a clean up site already removing a previous crash, I think Sutil they said. Red flag and race has now been called. Supposedly a "very severe" incident. 

The tones of the guy breaking the news was very very grim, I'm sure just concern but a very disconcerting tone. 
Saw that ambulance on site and no sign of Bianchi's car at least in the brief clip we saw. Very frightening. 

Edited by JJLehto - October 05 2014 at 03:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 03:08
Hoping for the best for Jules.  I hope to Christ he's okay.

EDIT:  Sounds like he was taken to an area hospital by ambulance. 

Edited by MillsLayne - October 05 2014 at 03:21
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 03:28
Yeah guess it's wait and see time for now, commentators say he was taken away unconscious. Certainly grim but well, could be worse. Shan't really speculate, we'll find out more in a bit. 

Sounds like his car hit the crane there to remove Sutil's wreck. Very bad. Good point was raised that we saw no feed from the scene at all so clearly it was not something they wanted us seeing. YikesCry It's 4:30 am here so I'm gunna try to catch some sleep. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 03:36
A sad end to what was an excellent race. I hope Bianchi is going to be OK.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 08:09
Report is out, severe head injury, undergoing (or has by now I suppose) surgery and will be moved to intensive care after. 
Hoping for the best possible news of course. 

Race did seem decent, was some major tension with Hami and Nico but once he passed I kinda figured it was over, and it was. Interesting battle with RBR, I'd say is Vettel coming to grips with the chassis??? Buuuuuut he's jumping ship anyway so what does it matter? LOL
Championship is not over yet, I'd say not even close! However, I grant it's making a gap and probably is turning...

Edited by JJLehto - October 05 2014 at 12:01
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 15:46
Just read that Ex GP driver Andrea de Cesaris has died today in a motorbike crash in Rome. He raced through the 80's and up to 94, most notable for a difficult debut year with McLaren (in arguably one of the teams worst ever cars) in 81 that earned him the monicker de Crasheris (and put McLaren off rookies until Hamilton), for nearly winning at Spa in 83 for Alfa Romeo on the revised tracks return to the calendar and then again in 91 in Jordan's first year in F1, when he was hunting down Senna's sick McLaren only for his engine to blow near the end.

RIP Andrea.  

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 18:40
^ Unfortunate to read.

RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 19:59
Yeah, not a good 24 hours for F1, past and present.  
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 14:45
That is a shame, I remember the guy from past recorded races and that he was indeed known for being crash prone and never getting a win, though should've had a couple. 
RIP

Not much more news on Bianchi, last I saw he was in critical but stable condition, not breathing on his own last I saw. Certainly bleak news but hopefully he can still pull through. 
A video has surfaced of the actual crash now and holy hell...it's a miracle he was not killed instantly.  Far more violent than I expected...

Edited by JJLehto - October 06 2014 at 14:53
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 15:06
^ That video is pretty crazy. Nothing like I expected, and I didn't really expect it to be good. It would have been a ridiculous crash even if the crane wasn't there.

Best wishes that he can survive it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 15:56
Horrible crash. Probably the worst case scenario for any type of open wheel accident. A real shame as the racing between the Red Bull cars and the Williams and Mclarens was thrilling.

I'm absolutely amazed how good the Mercedes  are on virtually any track, fast or slow, and how they can even dominate in the rain. I don't ever remember seeing a car as good as this before. Amazing.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 16:51
I wasn't sure what the speed was like or crash impact, (a slide, spin, what was the angle) but that was one of the most violent things I've seen. Not sure if credit to the cars today, pure luck or both, but I sincerely can't believe he survived that. 

I really believe was just a tragic freak accident, but there were those grumblings from some drivers about conditions, should the race have been started earlier/ended once it was official. The fact the helicopter couldn't safely take off due to weather was a bit concerning...putting aside the Jules incident, what about all the travel and work needed for an F1 race?? In such conditions. 

I want to say it was just a crazy accident but wonder if any changes will come of this, like having recovery equipment in front of the crash barrier like that, or maybe using safety car more often in wet conditions with an accident (though I know the lack of SC is part of its appeal). 

Merc has been something, reminds me of '04 Ferrari, untouchable. Though of course the driver competition has been great in this case. This is the closest I personally have experienced to 88 McLaren and Senna/Prost except this surely hasn't been that good. Wish I coulda seen those days. 

Edited by JJLehto - October 06 2014 at 20:50
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 16:28
^agree. The Senna/ Prost era has an almost mythical quality about it that I feel is not just because of Senna's death. Those two drivers were real magicians that conjured up magic both in and outside the cars, and were no doubt psychological equals. Now, that's a duo that someone should make a movie about.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 06:27
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

The fact the helicopter couldn't safely take off due to weather was a bit concerning...putting aside the Jules incident, what about all the travel and work needed for an F1 race?? In such conditions. 

That's rubbish that some uninformed morons have been spreading around after seeing Bianchi being taken to hospital in an ambulance rather than being airlifted. The helicopter could take off fine and did so, taking the F1 doctor ahead to the hospital. The reason they didn't airlift Bianchi is because pressure changes due to altitude can be very dangerous for head injuries, it's effectively what killed Mark Donohue in 75 as the change in air pressure caused rapid swelling in the cranium.

Yesterdays press release says he has Diffuse Axona Injury. Like many F1 fans I've been reading up on DAI and it really doesn't sound good, though at least the press release didn't describe it as sever DAI. I fear this may be career ending and that his main battle will be just to have a normal life.

I was too young to have any interest in F1 in the late 80's/early 90's but I get the feeling I would have been routing for Mansell and Berger rather than Prost and Senna, I just get the feeling that they were both villains.

Edited by sleeper - October 08 2014 at 06:27

Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 08:15
Very sad that this seems to be so serious for Bianchi. When it happened the immediate reaction was to think "it's not fatal, so he'll be okay". You get a bit blasé about the safety of F1 as it's been 20 years since a fatality, and it seems to require a freakish combination of circumstances to put drivers in danger. The Japanese GP always seems to be held at this time of year, going back to the rain sodden one with James Hunt and Nikki Lauda in 1976 - makes you wonder if they could reschedule it to when the climate is likely to be milder.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 08:30
The thing with Fuji is that it's halfway up Mt Fuji, which generates it's own rainy climate. Wet races there in the domestic championships are quite common regardless of the time of year. The thing with Japan is that it's summers are very hot and humid, certainly in south and central Honshu where Suzuka is and that summer is reserved for the European races and Canada (which can't hold a race in another season). Besides, this was only the second wet race Suzuka has ever held, after 94, it usually only rains in the Saturday.

Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 08:49
Thanks for clearing that up Sleeper, I thought there might be someone able to correct my ignorance regarding the Japanese climate! Just hope Jules is able to make a full recovery.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 29>