Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeat eater, vegetarian or vegan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: Which are you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [77.27%]
9 [20.45%]
1 [2.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 16:59
I'm a vegetarian and have been for 16 years now, although 3 years ago, I went back to eating fish.

A meat free diet is right for me, but I've never been a Veggie who tells everyone else that they also should be.

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 17:29
I eat meat. I eat good quality meat and free range stuff if I can. We pay far too little for our meat and put animals through disgusting lives to do that. If I want to eat meat I should pay for it.
Help me I'm falling!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 18:16
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I eat meat. I eat good quality meat and free range stuff if I can. We pay far too little for our meat and put animals through disgusting lives to do that. If I want to eat meat I should pay for it.

I agree with you although some would argue that causing prices to go up would hurt lower income people....sort of making meat a luxury for the well off....more than it already is. 

Same with veggies....the prices are artificially low because of the very low wages paid to farm workers. 

If we insist on more environmental standard for meat and veggies, have more regulation of labor, min wages, etc, you and I are willing to pay more the good things this brings about.  But do we price poor people out of quality food choices? 

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 19:25
Meat eater, though I admire the intentions of vegetarians and vegans.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 05:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

I think we're just arguing semantics here, which never really resolves so let's move on... I'll change the option to omnivorous due to the fact that it may upset some people. rest assured though, the term was not meant to segregate anyone in any way.
Claiming "arguing semantics" is not an intellectual "get out of jail free" card. If I say I dislike the term "meat eater" it is because it is inaccurate and incorrect, not because the semantic meaning is ambiguous or is a matter of interpretation. Even though we are discussing the meaning of a phrase, it is not an argument of semantics.

Why exactly is the post nutty? Morality does combat natural behaviour. I'm open to arguments that counter that assumption however.
Because your list of "crimes" are not equivalent, nor are they natural urges as you say they are - I have no natural urge to indulge in sexism, racism, homophobia, cannibalism, theft, murder or rape. You are creating a strawman argument.

I'm not saying that anyone who eats meat is immoral at all. I do think it's the more moral option, which is why I have made that decision, but that does not mean that not being vegetarian would make a person immoral. Morality is big web of decision making that is so complicated I wouldn't agreeing with labeling any one person entirely immoral, but I would say that supporting the meat industry is an immoral act as it is killing innocent creatures that don't need to be killed. I can understand doing that if you have to eat meat because of a certain condition (I know a sax player like this), but most of us just eat meat because we like it. Is the systematic breeding and slaughter of a chicken really worth a nice taste? I personally don't think so. Some people think it is, and while I would disagree, I didn't make this poll to berate folks that eat meat, more for healthy debate on the issue.

Unfortunately you are being judgemental, (not a criticism, just an observation) because you are claiming a moral superiority (the more moral option). By claiming it is more moral you are saying that eating meat is less moral by default. You are making an emotional argument and claiming it is a moral one. There is nothing wrong with not eating meat for emotional reasons, but that is not morality, practically every decision we make is an emotional one - like and dislike, love and hate - even after we've weighed up the logical and empirical pros and cons the ultimate decision will be a choice based upon emotion - and that's what makes us human, but that is not morality even if it feels like it should be.

Yes, intensive "farming" is bad - whether it is immoral is another question - it is not farming it is an industrial process and it should be stopped. We as consumers have the power to change it, and yes, boycotting meat is a way of doing that, so is only buying from ethical sources.

Yes, most food groups we could probably do away with. But only the food groups under meat and fish require the slaughter of a sentient being, which is why I choose to leave them out of my diet.
There is a diet that does not involve the killing any living thing, sentient or not, this excludes the eating of any plant matter that is still connected to a living plant at the time of harvest such as fruit, tubers and leaves - this is a philosophical choice so those who practice this are called Fruitarian (as opposed to Frugivore). By extension there is also a diet that extends this to carrion. When making a philosophical choice you have made a philosophical decision on what constitutes sentience since you have chosen between vegetarianism and vegan-ism. 

I don't really see why this is a problem.

It is not a problem. I never said it was a problem. You are making it into a problem all by yourself. I have not condemned anyone for being a vegetarian nor defended anyone who eats meat, I have proffered no judgemental or emotional opinions, merely stated the biological case. All I have stated is that omnivore is natural, vegetarianism is man-made. I have not claimed that either are unhealthy diets or that either are healthy diets - diets are only healthy when they are balanced and consumed in moderation. You are claiming the moral argument and I simply refute that it is about morality.

Okay fair enough, I guess I don't see anything wrong with the term.

How exactly is it a strawman argument? You only need to look towards some of the more primitive human civilisations and most animal civilisations to see that rape and murder as natural urges. Just because you, and most people in the West, don't have that urge, does not mean it isn't a natural one. We don't have that urge because we live in first world countries with far developed moral structures and at an educated guess I'd say that you were brought up to understand that rape and murder are heinous. This is no argument against these things being natural urges though because we've conditioned ourselves against our own nature through thought. I can give you a list as long as my arm of points in history and current groups of people that see rape as an okay thing. Why would these exist in such mass numbers if it isn't part of the natural human psyche?

I wasn't aware of a dichotomy between emotion and morality. Morals stem from thought do they not? And aren't emotions just thoughts really? I'm not seeing any real proof in your post that emotion and morality can't be of the same. That's not to say you don't have proof, which I'm sure you do. And I am being judgmental, but not in a way that I intend to be confrontational.

And yes I am making a judgement on what is okay to kill and what is not, but only as a transitional process. If I were to go vegan straight away I would most likely become ill (this happened to a friend of mine). I intend to turn vegan in the future. Regarding Fruitarianism... I'm well aware of it. However the problem I have with killing animals is that you are killing a conscious being. A potato is not conscious.

As I've said before, vegetarianism is manmade, you are not wrong, but most (I would say all but I haven't researched it enough to back that claim) of the human moral fiber is manmade.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 05:29
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I agree with you although some would argue that causing prices to go up would hurt lower income people....sort of making meat a luxury for the well off....more than it already is. 

Same with veggies....the prices are artificially low because of the very low wages paid to farm workers. 

If we insist on more environmental standard for meat and veggies, have more regulation of labor, min wages, etc, you and I are willing to pay more the good things this brings about.  But do we price poor people out of quality food choices? 
The poor are already priced out of quality food choices. Unethical intensive factory farming is not to feed the poor, it is not a welfare system - it is to feed all of us and make a fat profit for the retailers, we all reap the benefits of lower prices but it is time to realise the cost of low value is too high.

High volume farming does not have to be intensive factory farming, it does not have to be unethical and inhumane, it does not have to be stressful and unpleasant for the animals, similarly it does not have to be chemically enhanced with pesticides, herbicides and inorganic fertilisers for vegetable production. Deep sea fishing also fails - fish deemed unsaleable are discarded at sea, fishing quotas exacerbate this so even saleable fish are discarded -  all these fish are dead when they are returned to the sea. There is little that is ethical in mass production of food. Food production is currently dictated by the retailers, not the consumers - we never asked for chickens to be sold at five bucks each having spent the 6 miserable weeks of their lives in cramped broiler sheds choking on ammonia fumes. Moreover, ethical food does not have to be expensive - currently it is sold at artificially higher prices because those who "care" are prepared to pay for it and the retailers exploit that.

In the west we are incredibly wasteful of the food we buy, whether we buy a chicken for 5 bucks or 10 we waste most of that animal. We are even more wasteful of the food that retailers buy and do not sell. This is where we should start the solution to the problem - it is apolitical, it bypasses the economists and the regulators and will ultimately force the retailers to re-think their purchasing strategies - eat everything you buy. It is that simple - buy whole chickens and portion them yourselves to create three or four meals instead of one - each chicken yields two breasts, two wings, two drumsticks, two thighs and a bones and trimmings for making a stock that can form the base for a soup or stew - augment that with more vegetables and producing three substantial meals of a family is a doddle. Reducing the portion size that gets put on each plate reduces waste, makes the food go further, it is cheaper and it will reduce obesity - just taking one slice of meat off your plate and saving it for a sandwich the next day's lunch saves you money and improves your health. That is how I can afford to buy ethically produced free-range organic chicken - each meal costs me far less than the one meal made from a $5 battery broiler. 

And again, this is also true of vegetables - we buy more than we need because we buy it pre-packed, and we waste more than we should because it spoils before we can consume it all. Spending a few more pennies on quality veg in the quantity I need means I throw less away, the net result is a gain - it's cheaper.

These are skills that our parents knew but we've never learnt so we are failing to pass them on to our children. My mother would be mortified by the food we waste, her mother would have been outraged.

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 05:50

As I've said before, vegetarianism is manmade, you are not wrong, but most (I would say all but I haven't researched it enough to back that claim) of the human moral fiber is manmade.
Not wishing to ignore the rest of your post but at the same time not wishing to get into a pointless philosophical argument, I disagree with this conclusion. I believe that moral fibre (as you call it) is an inherent trait of humanity, morality and ethics is the formalisation of those traits into a philosophy - we didn't learn these from books, the books were written to explain our natural behavioural tendencies. I believe we were moral before we invented moral codes, we adopt them because we have a natural inclination towards them. The idea that civilised cultures are morally superior to uncivilised cultures is an arrogance, the concept of the barbarian was an artificial construct of imperialism, conquest and religious doctrine.

Of course I could be wrong, I may just have a higher opinion (and expectation) of humanity, but then I am a humanitarian so that is to be expected.

What?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 06:23

I agree with you although some would argue that causing prices to go up would hurt lower income people....sort of making meat a luxury for the well off....more than it already is.  Same with veggies....the prices are artificially low because of the very low wages paid to farm workers.  If we insist on more environmental standard for meat and veggies, have more regulation of labor, min wages, etc, you and I are willing to pay more the good things this brings about.  But do we price poor people out of quality food choices? 

The poor are already priced out of quality food choices. Unethical intensive factory farming is not to feed the poor, it is not a welfare system - it is to feed all of us and make a fat profit for the retailers, we all reap the benefits of lower prices but it is time to realise the cost of <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">low value </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">is too high.</span>
High volume farming does not have to be intensive factory farming, it does not have to be unethical and inhumane, it does not have to be stressful and unpleasant for the animals, similarly it does not have to be chemically enhanced with pesticides, herbicides and inorganic fertilisers for vegetable production. Deep sea fishing also fails - fish deemed unsaleable are discarded at sea, fishing quotas exacerbate this so even saleable fish are discarded -  all these fish are dead when they are returned to the sea. There is little that is ethical in mass production of food. Food production is currently dictated by the retailers, not the consumers - we never asked for chickens to be sold at five bucks each having spent the 6 miserable weeks of their lives in cramped broiler sheds choking on ammonia fumes. Moreover, ethical food does not have to be expensive - currently it is sold at artificially higher prices because those who "care" are prepared to pay for it and the retailers exploit that.
In the west we are incredibly wasteful of the food we buy, whether we buy a chicken for 5 bucks or 10 we waste most of that animal. We are even more wasteful of the food that retailers buy and do not sell. This is where we should start the solution to the problem - it is apolitical, it bypasses the economists and the regulators and will ultimately force the retailers to re-think their purchasing strategies - eat everything you buy. It is that simple - buy whole chickens and portion them yourselves to create three or four meals instead of one - each chicken yields two breasts, two wings, two drumsticks, two thighs and a bones and trimmings for making a stock that can form the base for a soup or stew - augment that with more vegetables and producing three substantial meals of a family is a doddle. Reducing the portion size that gets put on each plate reduces waste, makes the food go further, it is cheaper and it will reduce obesity - just taking one slice of meat off your plate and saving it for a sandwich the next day's lunch saves you money and improves your health. <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">That is how I can afford to buy ethically produced free-range organic chicken - each meal costs me far less than the one meal made from a $5 battery broiler. </span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">And again, this is also true of vegetables - we buy more than we need because we buy it pre-packed, and we waste more than we should because it spoils before we can consume it all. Spending a few more pennies on quality veg in the quantity I need means I throw less away, the net result is a gain - it's cheaper.</span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2;">These are skills that our parents knew but we've never learnt so we are failing to pass them on to our children. My mother would be mortified by the food we waste, her mother would have been outraged.</span>

Agree with every word of this. I would add that retailers should stop the BOGOF and similar offers on meat or veg that will go off and get wasted. Just put the price down if you want to put stuff on offer. Also eat less meat (you do say smaller portions though) but a meal doesn't have to include meat every time. Variety is the spice...

Then we can save money eat better and stop animals being treated like sh*t.
Help me I'm falling!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 06:32

Not wishing to ignore the rest of your post but at the same time not wishing to get into a pointless philosophical argument, I disagree with this conclusion. I believe that moral fibre (as you call it) is an inherent trait of humanity, morality and ethics is the formalisation of those traits into a philosophy - we didn't learn these from books, the books were written to explain our natural behavioural tendencies. I believe we were moral before we invented moral codes, we adopt them because we have a natural inclination towards them. The idea that civilised cultures are morally superior to uncivilised cultures is an arrogance, the concept of the barbarian was an artificial construct of imperialism, conquest and religious doctrine.

Of course I could be wrong, I may just have a higher opinion (and expectation) of humanity, but then I am a humanitarian so that is to be expected.

It's cool, my argument isn't that deep and the portion of it that you answered pretty much sums it all up anyway

I'm a firm believer that morality derives from intellect, and human intellect (which works on several levels may I add) is something that has been crafted since the dawn of our species, leading to where we are today. We haven't always been this intelligent, that is a given. We weren't always this moral either. There isn't much evidence of Neolithic society, but I can hazard a guess that their moral system was rather... well, Neolithic. Primitive. Rape, murder and theft were probably only just about seen as heinous, so I can't imagine we were contemplating deeper notions of morality, like equality. Our morality has evolved, and we've recorded it in books. Still, this could quite easily be argued to be fighting the natural order. I certainly think so. Then again, as you've stated, it could not be. But let me elaborate my point further with examples:

I consider religion to be a naturally occurring phenomena, as it is one of the few philosophical constants that envelopes all societies everywhere. Often as part of religion (discounting Westernised modern equivalents), sexism is there. In fact, I can't think of a single religion that doesn't have a patriarchy. I would consider this evidence of sexism being a very natural thing in the human race. The whole Alpha Male thing is still very prominent in our race still as well, although I think I'm probably pushing at an open door with you on that one.

Let's also take the Maori tribe. A dying race of folk now, but they currently and always have engaged in cannibalism. This is not the only example of this. In fact there are thousands of examples. Western countries also have a history of cannibalism. There is cannibalism in the natural world. The reason it is now a consensus that this act is immoral is because of contemplation and philosophical reasoning. Once again, I would argue that this would be fighting nature.

I could continue with tribalism and racism being a natural occurrence, but I figure this one explains itself.

And thus from these examples I can deduce that morality as we know it counters nature. As you've said though, I could be wrong and am welcome to an argument that will sway me. I have faith in humanity too, but I feel there are many things we need to work on still. We've come a long way, but the fight for a good moral structure is well and truly still on.

Regarding this:

"The idea that civilised cultures are morally superior to uncivilised cultures is an arrogance..."

I would say that the very idea of calling a culture uncivilised derives from its level of morality. Call me old fashioned, but morality for me has most to do with living alongside other living creatures. It may be an arrogant view, but once again I'm open to argument.

Arnold Schoenberg
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 06:34
Also Dean, I agree with your comments on battery farming, however so long as capitalism is present it will always be there, and the free-range market will always be supporting the battery market as it makes battery farming the rather attractive cheap alternative.

Arnold Schoenberg
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 06:44
Ugh, I guess it's google chrome that's inserting all those dhtml <span> codes into my posts, boy do we need a forum upgrade asap. Dead

Agree with every word of this. I would add that retailers should stop the BOGOF and similar offers on meat or veg that will go off and get wasted. Just put the price down if you want to put stuff on offer. Also eat less meat (you do say smaller portions though) but a meal doesn't have to include meat every time. Variety is the spice...

Then we can save money eat better and stop animals being treated like sh*t.
Absolutely - BOGOFs are a dreadful cause of waste - "Three for Two" (when I only need one) and "Three for a Tenner" (for the Waitrose milfs Wink) deals are no better. I too get suckered into these deals and find myself having to pre-cook some of it in advance before it spoils - thank heavens for chilli con <whatever is in the fridge> is all I can say.

Supermarkets selling processed, pre-prepared and pre-cooked food cheaper than the basic ingredients is also a problem, not only for waste and base-line cost but for nutrition and health too because of the higher level of preservatives in them (and those are not necessarily chemical preservatives either - they have a higher salt and sugar content to prolong their shelf-life). We decry "airline food" yet happily buy the same product when it is packaged for convenience on a supermarket shelf - "Taste the Difference"? No, but I can smell the marketing BS.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 06:55

Also Dean, I agree with your comments on battery farming, however so long as capitalism is present it will always be there, and the free-range market will always be supporting the battery market as it makes battery farming the rather attractive cheap alternative.
That's looking at it backwards, the free-range and organic market was a reaction to industrial farming. The organic veg market has not affected the pricing and production of intensive arable and vegetable farming. The artificial pricing policies of the supermarkets is maintaining the divide, not the consumer. If the majority of consumers switched to a vegetarian lifestyle it would not affect how meat is produced but it would affect arable and vegetable farming. If food production was solely determined by supply and demand then the increase in demand for vegetables products would increase prices and intensify production of vegetables, its effect on meat production and pricing would be considerably less, there are no guarantees that "battery" farming would decrease, on the contrary, it could increase as more land is given over to arable and vegetable crops. The bottom line is we simply cannot make such predictions.
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 06:57

It's cool, my argument isn't that deep and the portion of it that you answered pretty much sums it all up anyway

I'm a firm believer that morality derives from intellect, and human intellect (which works on several levels may I add) is something that has been crafted since the dawn of our species, leading to where we are today. We haven't always been this intelligent, that is a given. We weren't always this moral either. There isn't much evidence of Neolithic society, but I can hazard a guess that their moral system was rather... well, Neolithic. Primitive. Rape, murder and theft were probably only just about seen as heinous, so I can't imagine we were contemplating deeper notions of morality, like equality. Our morality has evolved, and we've recorded it in books. Still, this could quite easily be argued to be fighting the natural order. I certainly think so. Then again, as you've stated, it could not be. But let me elaborate my point further with examples:

I consider religion to be a naturally occurring phenomena, as it is one of the few philosophical constants that envelopes all societies everywhere. Often as part of religion (discounting Westernised modern equivalents), sexism is there. In fact, I can't think of a single religion that doesn't have a patriarchy. I would consider this evidence of sexism being a very natural thing in the human race. The whole Alpha Male thing is still very prominent in our race still as well, although I think I'm probably pushing at an open door with you on that one.

Let's also take the Maori tribe. A dying race of folk now, but they currently and always have engaged in cannibalism. This is not the only example of this. In fact there are thousands of examples. Western countries also have a history of cannibalism. There is cannibalism in the natural world. The reason it is now a consensus that this act is immoral is because of contemplation and philosophical reasoning. Once again, I would argue that this would be fighting nature.

I could continue with tribalism and racism being a natural occurrence, but I figure this one explains itself.

And thus from these examples I can deduce that morality as we know it counters nature. As you've said though, I could be wrong and am welcome to an argument that will sway me. I have faith in humanity too, but I feel there are many things we need to work on still. We've come a long way, but the fight for a good moral structure is well and truly still on.

Regarding this:

"The idea that civilised cultures are morally superior to uncivilised cultures is an arrogance..."

I would say that the very idea of calling a culture uncivilised derives from its level of morality. Call me old fashioned, but morality for me has most to do with living alongside other living creatures. It may be an arrogant view, but once again I'm open to argument.

Apologies for going off topic a tad but I can't believe this post: in summation - anything that changes human standards about morality over time (including evolution) is by definition 'unnatural' because what was hitherto deemed morally acceptable has now changed in the interim.
You state "We haven't always been this intelligent" You are kidding right?LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 07:29
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Regarding this:

Apologies for going off topic a tad but I can't believe this post: in summation - anything that changes human standards about morality over time (including evolution) is by definition 'unnatural' because what was hitherto deemed morally acceptable has now changed in the interim.

I didn't say it's unnatural, I'm saying that morality serves as a dialectical to nature. There is a massive difference. Everything we do can essentially be called "natural" because... Well, it's happened, but every moral you can think of was once unquestioned, with a few exceptions.

And no, I'm not. There's evidence that's humans were once rather primitive beings, and thus not as intelligent. Intelligence is a constantly evolving thing. As individuals we become more intelligent through learning. You highlight the statement "We weren't always this intelligent" as though it's ridiculous, but could you explain why?

Arnold Schoenberg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 08:24
Dean I agree with every letter of what you wrote below....my folks were Depression era kids and my grandparents taught them the kind of values you discuss....using everything....modest eating....things I employ as well in my life.   And not just food.  Our old clothes become our rags for garage and cleaning, lawn clippings get mulched, not bagged and driven away somewhere, things around the house are donated if still useful to someone.  Although I still think food producers would use any mandatory regulation of their world as a reason to jack up the prices....whether they really need to or not.  In the same way you admit they exploit those who will buy ethical food choices.  Maybe the spike would be only temporary though until all producers were acting more reasonably across the board, then prices would drop again? 

Edited by Finnforest - January 12 2014 at 08:25

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 08:34

I'm a firm believer that morality derives from intellect, and human intellect (which works on several levels may I add) is something that has been crafted since the dawn of our species, leading to where we are today. We haven't always been this intelligent, that is a given. We weren't always this moral either. There isn't much evidence of Neolithic society, but I can hazard a guess that their moral system was rather... well, Neolithic. Primitive. Rape, murder and theft were probably only just about seen as heinous, so I can't imagine we were contemplating deeper notions of morality, like equality. Our morality has evolved, and we've recorded it in books. Still, this could quite easily be argued to be fighting the natural order. I certainly think so. Then again, as you've stated, it could not be.
You are mixing intellect (the capacity for learning) with intelligence (the acquisition and application of knowledge) and knowledge itself. The capability of the human mind has not evolved over time, a Neolithic human is identical in every way to a modern human (there is some speculation that brain volume has decreased over the past 12,000 or so years but that is highly speculative based upon limited data and the assumption that increased DHA omega-3 fatty acid from a higher proportion of fish in the prehistoric diet - if brain size was a measure of intelligence it is however an argument that we are less intelligent that out prehistoric forebears). Our sum of human knowledge has increased but only in proportion to our understanding of the world around us, our level of relative intelligence in regard to what we need to know is unchanged, it is a fair assumption that you cannot knap flint tools, that does not make you more or less intelligent it is simply knowledge you do not possess. Knowing more things does not make you more intelligent and it does not increase your intellect.

We cannot measure the IQ of prehistoric people, in more recent history there are things that bronze age people could achieve that confounds us today because of our arrogant view of more "primitive" times.

But let me elaborate my point further with examples:

You are still constructing a strawman, (albeit indirectly perhaps), as these "examples" are neither illustrative nor are they equivalents. The arrogance that civilisation is morally superior to these "primitive" examples has oft been a disingenuous justification for ethically dubious practices - the slave trade is a prime example of that, as is the forced conversion of indigenous peoples to western ideology and religion. With the benefit of hindsight and "enlightenment" we see things differently now, but they believed they were being morally ethical because they deemed themselves to be morally superior ... that was an arrogance.

Regarding this:

You are old fashioned.

Surely primitive tribes live alongside nature are more moral and ethical than any so-called civilised culture. My point several posts back is the disassociation between the food on the supermarket shelf and the animal in the field has permitted the unethical treatment of livestock, this is a product of civilisation, a  civilisation that you claim is more moral than an uncivilised one. Once you introduce morality into lifestyle choices you open a whole can of worms. Stick with your emotional decision, it is more honest than any contrived moral justification. 
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 08:47

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Regarding this:

I didn't say it's unnatural, I'm saying that morality serves as a dialectical to nature. There is a massive difference. Everything we do can essentially be called "natural" because... Well, it's happened, but every moral you can think of was once unquestioned, with a few exceptions.

And no, I'm not. There's evidence that's humans were once rather primitive beings, and thus not as intelligent. Intelligence is a constantly evolving thing. As individuals we become more intelligent through learning. You highlight the statement "We weren't always this intelligent" as though it's ridiculous, but could you explain why?

I'm not sure I really should have to explain to such an evolved species as yourself BUT I merely quoted you stating such:

Still, this could quite easily be argued to be fighting the natural order. I certainly think so

I would consider this evidence of sexism being a very natural thing in the human race

There is cannibalism in the natural world. The reason it is now a consensus that this act is immoral is because of contemplation and philosophical reasoning. Once again, I would argue that this would be fighting nature.

Do you want me to stop?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 09:09

Dean I agree with every letter of what you wrote below....my folks were Depression era kids and my grandparents taught them the kind of values you discuss....using everything....modest eating....things I employ as well in my life.   And not just food.  Our old clothes become our rags for garage and cleaning, lawn clippings get mulched, not bagged and driven away somewhere, things around the house are donated if still useful to someone.  Although I still think food producers would use any mandatory regulation of their world as a reason to jack up the prices....whether they really need to or not.  In the same way you admit they exploit those who will buy ethical food choices.  Maybe the spike would be only temporary though until all producers were acting more reasonably across the board, then prices would drop again? 
I'm not wholly convinced by the supply-and-demand model of economics since it represents a linear snapshot image of a static market when the markets are non-linear, dynamic and not the result of simplistic cause and effect therefore I do not believe the "poverty trap" is as real (or at least as simple) as it is presumed to be for example. We simply cannot predict with any confidence how a market will behave if left to its own devices, however I do not believe prices ever drop by themselves, it is the nature of business to maximise profit. 

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 09:21
Sorry if I'm skirting off topic a bit here but I can't resist sharing this...Below Dean mentioned proper usage of chickens and spoke about our grandparents generation....well, it brought this photo instantly to mind.

This is a neighbor lady from back in my Grandparents old neighborhood.  She preparing the evening meal and I'm guessing that not an ounce of that bird will be going to waste!   Also, this photo was taken in the middle of a large city.....this is not out on the farm.  year is 1943

Edited by Finnforest - January 12 2014 at 09:22

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 09:24

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Omnivorian.  It is our nature.

This isn't really an argument. So are sexism, racism, homophobia, cannibalism, theft, murder and rape. Morality fights the natural urge in almost all cases.

If we extend this logic, vegetarianism would then be reasonably expected to reflect a high degree of morality in the character of a person because he would have the capacity to resist several immoral natural urges ( I do not really agree but going along with it for the sake of argument).  To that idea, I present the curious concoction that is Jains with right wing fantasies.  Jainism practices a very strict form of vegetarianism that does not permit its followers to consume vegetables derived from roots and insists they walk bare footed to spare the lives of insects they might trample underfoot.  Yet, some members of this uber non violent sect whole heartedly endorse the candidature of a politician who allowed a pogrom on Muslims to take place in his state and wish for India to emulate the acts of a certain world power in reducing two countries to rubble to avenge an isolated act of terrorism.  I am not going to debate the pros and cons of said act, only that endorsing war and wanton killing of innocent civilians jars rather violently with non violent values.  Morality, what morality?

You may argue that that a person is vegetarian does not necessarily mean he is moral and that is precisely my point.  A person's choice in diet has nought to do with morality.  I would be more inclined to judge if he were consuming an endangered species of animals, but that would land him in jail in most jurisdictions, I presume.  Modern lifestyle as such is extremely wasteful and indulgent, so meat eating is but small fry in the larger scheme of things.  Oh, vegetarian by birth, by the way.  

Edited by rogerthat - January 12 2014 at 09:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>