Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Camel a "Canterbury" band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 10:34
I'll just add to my prior comment and make it clear that although i see Camel and Canterbury as "related", i don't mean it in the formal PA sense, wherein such descriptions are often seen as a clarion call for a new genre category. No, no. They're related in that they share some history, and a little bit of their sound. I'm aware Camel were not part of the "scene" and I do think they're classified appropriately as Symphonic here on PA.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 11:11
There's definitely a unique kind of style or sound to that scene or whatever you wanna call it, that's why when someone says "that band has a canterbury sound" everyone knows what to expect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 11:31
That is so true Sagi.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 11:56
I've always though Camel were symphonic prog with some Canterbury overtones. ...as Holy Moly pointed out.

Edited by dr wu23 - January 11 2014 at 11:57
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
RBlak054 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 12:02
Well the problem with genres and sub-genres is that often no two albums or even two songs, for that matter fall into the same category! Camel have definitely had a Canterbury-like sound in the past, especially on Rain Dances and Breathless, but I would argue that the vast majority of their discography is musically quite different from what the Canterbury scene was putting out.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 12:06
Some of the uptempo instrumental sections of Moonmadness are Canterbury related...but very little is but proving to be more dominet on Rain Dances. Self explanatory because Sinclair who is a Canterbury artist sings and plays bass on Rain Dances. Breathless has an instrumental that is somewhat canterbury related and it's called "The Sleeper". However it's more reminiscent of Happy the Man's style of composition. As everyone knows....Kit Watkins from H.T.M. worked with Camel on 1 album only and one of Watkins compositions turned up on Nude. Happy the Man are only slightly Canterbury influenced , carrying a style of their own more or less. A few pieces from Mirage are Canterbury sounding.....but Camel went for the style and sound of "The White Rider", "Lady Fantasy" , and The Snow Goose which all are very distant from a Canterbury groove.
steve2603 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 14:31
Only just discovered these guys and I'm loving it. Listened to Mirage and Moonmadness, both brilliant. Where do I go next?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 14:58
Originally posted by steve2603 steve2603 wrote:

Only just discovered these guys and I'm loving it. Listened to Mirage and Moonmadness, both brilliant. Where do I go next?

The Snow Goose is recognised as their signature album, so that, I suppose. I would, though, heartily recommend Rajaz as a fine album in the later period.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
steve2603 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 15:07
Sweet, I'll get on that now. Only recently getting back into some prog, I've tried modern stuff but nothing's really struck me yet (apart from Kayo Dot), and Camel seem to have a Genesis like tightness which kills. Nice, dreamy voice too, it's the generic vocals in modern prog that turns me off.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 15:14

Sweet, I'll get on that now. Only recently getting back into some prog, I've tried modern stuff but nothing's really struck me yet (apart from Kayo Dot), and Camel seem to have a Genesis like tightness which kills. Nice, dreamy voice too, it's the generic vocals in modern prog that turns me off.

Not all vocals in modern prog are genericWink

I would suggest you have a trawl through the top albums list for all years. Have a look at the collabs reviews, and you will soon see which of these you share a musical taste with. From there, you will be able to pick some great modern stuff.

I was bought up on classic prog in the 1970's. I get so much of a thrill, though, from listening to great modern stuff as well.

Good luckThumbs Up
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 15:21
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

There's definitely a unique kind of style or sound to that scene or whatever you wanna call it, that's why when someone says "that band has a canterbury sound" everyone knows what to expect.

Exactly Sagi. Thumbs Up
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 15:27
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I'll just add to my prior comment and make it clear that although i see Camel and Canterbury as "related", i don't mean it in the formal PA sense, wherein such descriptions are often seen as a clarion call for a new genre category. No, no. They're related in that they share some history, and a little bit of their sound. I'm aware Camel were not part of the "scene" and I do think they're classified appropriately as Symphonic here on PA.

I don't know if you've been on the "Calyx" web-site Steve but it's the work of Aymeric Leroy who did the liner notes for the Wyatt '68 album from this year and many others. He does have a Canterbury related section which includes Camel. There must be something about some of their tunes that has that "sound" but to me they belong 100 % in Symphonic.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - January 11 2014 at 15:30
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
steve2603 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 17:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I would suggest you have a trawl through the top albums list for all years. Have a look at the collabs reviews, and you will soon see which of these you share a musical taste with. From there, you will be able to pick some great modern stuff.

I was bought up on classic prog in the 1970's. I get so much of a thrill, though, from listening to great modern stuff as well.

Good luckThumbs Up

Yeah, I didn't meant to generalise, just the stuff I've encountered so far hasn't grabbed me as startlingly as the old guys. I will do, anything particular you'd recommend? 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 17:49

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Good luckThumbs Up

Yeah, I didn't meant to generalise, just the stuff I've encountered so far hasn't grabbed me as startlingly as the old guys. I will do, anything particular you'd recommend? 

I know you didn't mean to generaliseSmile

I suppose that the answer to the question really depends upon what you like, which I am not altogether sure what that is.

My own favourites of recent times that I think you would like are Edison's Children, David Minasian (who, btw, is closely linked to Camel), amongst others. I think you will like both, in terms of interesting musical experience in much of the vein that bands such as Camel were feted for.

If you look at my profile, and the list of reviews that I have done, you will get a better idea. Have a look at other collabs profiles and reviews. That way, you will build up a good portfolio of a wish list.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 19:16
Lazland, Mellotron Jon - very entertaining......(luckily Dean isn't stepping in )
Camel are a sympho-prog band but at least they did occasionally display some Canterbury-esque moments. And generally speaking, anything Richard Sinclair touches turns to Canterbury in an instant.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 10:47
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

No - Not a Canterbury band
Yes - On some of the earlier albums, many similarities like the same fuzzy organs, jazzy elements, etc! Also the connection with taking in members from Caravan, etc.

I Agree Mike! I never considered Gong to be Canterbury as well.

BIZARRE ... when Gong and a couple of its (early) members, were a part of the group that helped create the scene in the first place! It's better known for its music, but it had its roots in other arts in a funny sort of way, which was taken up and best exemplified, when Robert Wyatt breaks the mood into an ABC, that to this day we go ... what?

Yeah, history is now a ________________ that PA agrees on because of its definitions?

Gong/Soft Machine, were the parents that helped it all get going, along with the Harvest label and a few other things, like Lol Coxhill, Kevin, and even Roy to an extent, though these became fiercely independent!

Not sure that CAMEL would fit in Canterbury as the definition stands, and they were much better aligned and closer to the rock scene that came out of John Mayall and friends, as Mick Fleetwood (thru Peter Bardens -- it's in Mick's book), was very close to the band, and kinda suggests that they knew/understood each others music really well.

Just take the "history" of the musicians themselves, and where they came from. It says it all! The only link to "canterbury" might have been when one of the Sinclair's played bass with Camel and sang on a couple of albums, of which "Nude" is (for me) exceptional, but the "sound" in those albums is distinctly "Camel" and not Canterbury.

We really should try to make a "map" of these like the Man Band did for folks in their homeland ... it is a lot of fun, and pretty much tells you how much music does one really know and see, before they do their own. But Canterbury, I think, became a very structured and academic place, with several of those folks highly educated and very well versed in music.

That's how I see it.

Edited by moshkito - January 12 2014 at 10:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 11:00
I get what you're saying Pedro, and this is very true: Gong were at the core of the scene, but what I think both Sagi and Michael were referring to was their 'sound'. The feel of what many people affectively call the 'Canterbury sound' is much more present in groups like Caravan and Egg, than it ever was in Gong. Gong sounded equally like some spacey fusion butterfly straight out of the German scene, and that was the beauty with the band. There was, and still is no box you can squeeze them into. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 12 2014 at 11:01
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 11:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I get what you're saying Pedro, and this is very true: Gong were at the core of the scene, but what I think both Sagi and Michael were referring to was their 'sound'. The feel of what many people affectively call the 'Canterbury sound' is much more present in groups like Caravan and Egg, than it ever was in Gong.

I'm not sure about that. I think the sound is over-rated, and is there simply because of one instrument, and I think this is my same complaint about some hard music having a label, when all it is, is simply an instrument, or in this last case an EFFECT!

For example, I can appreciate Carla Bley and others that were also in the "scene", and their version of jazzy stuff, that had keyboards, but not necessarily the one "instrument" that made these bands better known.

It's like saying that BAROQUE exists because we hear that silly harpsichord sound, and that's not what "baroque" was all about at all!

I really think we have to get off the fan idea that something has to sound like another for it to be X, or Y, or Z. That is a very facile, and silly description and fails ALL musical definitions, and this brings all this stuff back to where we do not want it ... just pop music. Meaningless pop music! AND, to me, this stuff is far better developed and designed, than most "classical" music in the past 50 years ... but we are not able/capable of making that connection because we only listen to "pop music" and "top ten" and nothing else. Thus, we have to label things in order to know what we "would want" to listen to. It's bad, like saying that I have to look for composers like Stravinsky, because Debussy is too wishy washy for me! And we'll have to find a label for them, too!

You gotta be kidding!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 11:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I get what you're saying Pedro, and this is very true: Gong were at the core of the scene, but what I think both Sagi and Michael were referring to was their 'sound'. The feel of what many people affectively call the 'Canterbury sound' is much more present in groups like Caravan and Egg, than it ever was in Gong.

I'm not sure about that. I think the sound is over-rated, and is there simply because of one instrument, and I think this is my same complaint about some hard music having a label, when all it is, is simply an instrument, or in this last case an EFFECT!

For example, I can appreciate Carla Bley and others that were also in the "scene", and their version of jazzy stuff, that had keyboards, but not necessarily the one "instrument" that made these bands better known.

It's like saying that BAROQUE exists because we hear that silly harpsichord sound, and that's not what "baroque" was all about at all!

I really think we have to get off the fan idea that something has to sound like another for it to be X, or Y, or Z. That is a very facile, and silly description and fails ALL musical definitions, and this brings all this stuff back to where we do not want it ... just pop music. Meaningless pop music! AND, to me, this stuff is far better developed and designed, than most "classical" music in the past 50 years ... but we are not able/capable of making that connection because we only listen to "pop music" and "top ten" and nothing else. Thus, we have to label things in order to know what we "would want" to listen to. It's bad, like saying that I have to look for composers like Stravinsky, because Debussy is too wishy washy for me! And we'll have to find a label for them, too!

You gotta be kidding!

Nothing about Camel...I've just got into Debussy and I love it. Stravinskij was already one of my fav.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 12:40
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You gotta be kidding!

Where did you see anyone saying Canterbury depends on that one instrument?? Come on give me a little more credit than that. It's at least two instruments
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>