Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJethro Tull - the last thirty years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [11.11%]
1 [1.85%]
15 [27.78%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
22 [40.74%]
5 [9.26%]
4 [7.41%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 06:35
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I wouldn't give any of them more than 3 stars and in the case of Under Wraps only 1. Crest Of A Knave is my pick of the bunch and a good solid album with 2 excellent tracks - Farm On The Freeway and Budapest and a few good lightweight rockers like Jump Start.

Create Of A Knave is great,but Ian Anderson must have been listening to Dire Straits when he was writing the music for the album!A rip-off on some tracks for sure!

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 10:20

I wouldn't give any of them more than 3 stars and in the case of Under Wraps only 1. Crest Of A Knave is my pick of the bunch and a good solid album with 2 excellent tracks - Farm On The Freeway and Budapest and a few good lightweight rockers like Jump Start.

^this
.....and I'm a long time Tull fan.....started at the very beginning with This Was.
imho Ian ran out of great Tull songs a long time ago and is just coasting for the last 30 years.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 08:20
Ian is the kind of guy who made good music when he is surround by good musicians.

In the last two records, TAAB2 and Homo Erraticus it seems that he took advantage of the new medias (ProgMagazine, Facebook) to boost the marketing of the albums... something that the last thirty years was absent - in fact the 80's and the 90's were decades quite hostiles to prog artists.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 11:47
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

Create Of A Knave is great,but Ian Anderson must have been listening to Dire Straits when he was writing the music for the album!A rip-off on some tracks for sure!

Ha ha, yeah! The guitar sound definitely has a bit of Dire Straits about it.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 11:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^this
.....and I'm a long time Tull fan.....started at the very beginning with This Was.
imho Ian ran out of great Tull songs a long time ago and is just coasting for the last 30 years.

Although I own all the albums I can't remember the last time I played anything post Crest Of A Knave. There's so much better stuff to choose from the 70's. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 14:12

^this

Although I own all the albums I can't remember the last time I played anything post Crest Of A Knave. There's so much better stuff to choose from the 70's. 

I usually don't play anything post Stormwatch.
Stern Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 18:49
Crest Of A Knave
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 22:41

^this

Stern Smile

I still don't have many of their albums, specially after Storm Watch. But from the few I have, including the somewhat acclaimed "Roots to Branches", I think that indeed the best was done in the 70's, and after that it just sounds like Anderson ran out of new ideas, and he just sounds tired (as is the case with many classic artists from the 70's). However, I do enjoy some of their live material from the later period (which mainly consists of 70's songs). Despite the often alleged weakened vocals from Anderson, they don't bother me so much, and the music sounds stronger, specially the guitars and flute, and the instrumental passages are more satisfying to me.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 23:17

^this

Stern Smile
seconded.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 20:10
Bruits to Ranches

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 20:50
I have always agreed with Ian Anderson himself on "Roots to Branches": its over produced. Besides being a long album, I get tired hearing to the album, its too dense and too long - although this is not exactly faults, but it limited the times or the desire to hear it.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2015 at 20:53
By the way... Roots to Branches is only at #43 in the 1995 Top Albums... what a low score :(
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 07:37
Ah trendy new pop material, nothing old.

Production-wise, Crest; material wise, Roots to Branches. It's so good that even his awful drum machine can't ruin some of this sublime material.

What's Catfish Island? ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123