Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 06:42
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Fripp wasn't a virtuoso by any means

This night wounds time.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 06:47
Fripp is NOT a virtuoso. Eddie Van Halen and guys like him are. Fripp not. Not many prog guitarists, especially those who started in the 60's or 70's are virtuosos, maybe Alex Lifeson is, but  it's not the most important in that music, is it? 
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 06:50
Talking of virtuosity, here (starting from 4:46) is one of the most complex guitar solos I've ever heard, something many widely popular and recognized virtuoso guitarists (like Ritchie Blackmore or, pardon me for a rude word, Yngwie Malmsteen) could never be able to play.

Edited by ole-the-first - January 22 2014 at 06:51
This night wounds time.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 07:03
Still you don't know what I mean. It's not really complex. It's ok, interesting but not virtuosity.

Steve Stevens from 2:40 to 4:18 and you'll see what I mean

ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 07:05
^What's so virtuoso in a typical metal solo? You can find the same thing on any Iron Maiden or Judas Priest album.
This night wounds time.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 07:26
No you won't. Steve was more talented guitarist than all those typical metal guitarists combined together.. He also played flamenco and other types of music. And if you listen to that solo you'll hear that it's very clean and played with precission. I can't say the same about that Fripp solo. Poor articulation that's the key to understand why Fripp isn't a virtuoso. If you listen very closely you will hear his fingers slipping off the strings when not intended. Fripp was good because of his imagination, his ideas, not the way he played. His guitar work is rather sloppy.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 07:56
Not between the music I currently listen, but I listened enough to know about them. ITCOTCK, is a great album, and the only one I own of this band, and as an overall effort is better than every Gentle Giant thing that I could listen. Beyond this I like some tracks of KC. The overated matter, is a question of tastes. I can think KC is overated, but just because it's not my cup of tea. When many people like it, surely is because they are good, unless in some musical direction.

And about Fripp, I think he is a virtuoso of the guitar, just like Howe. By the way I prefer the melodic ones as Gilmour, Hackett or Latimer.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 07:58
In the Court for sure
Prog On!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 08:14

No you won't. Steve was more talented guitarist than all those typical metal guitarists combined together.. He also played flamenco and other types of music. And if you listen to that solo you'll hear that it's very clean and played with precission. I can't say the same about that Fripp solo. Poor articulation that's the key to understand why Fripp isn't a virtuoso. If you listen very closely you will hear his fingers slipping off the strings when not intended. Fripp was good because of his imagination, his ideas, not the way he played. His guitar work is rather sloppy.

Speaking of 'poor articulation' anyone who quotes a virgin ubermensch proclaiming You're going to women? Don't forget your whip! (albeit in German) is begging for correction methinks....Wink

If Fripp is not a virtuoso can you confirm if this 'sloppy' lack of accuracy is perhaps the reason that Bob is ranked 34 places behind Johnny Ramone but 36 places ahead of Alex Lifeson  in Rolling Stone's 100 greatest guitarists of all time league table?

LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Speaking of 'poor articulation' anyone who quotes a virgin ubermensch proclaiming You're going to women? Don't forget your whip! (albeit in German) is begging for correction methinks....Wink

If Fripp is not a virtuoso can you confirm if this 'sloppy' lack of accuracy is perhaps the reason that Bob is ranked 34 places behind Johnny Ramone but 36 places ahead of Alex Lifeson  in Rolling Stone's 100 greatest guitarists of all time league table?

He wasn't a virgin ubermensch of course but it doesn't matter.

Are you quoting Rolling Stone? Really? It's the most worthless music magazine ever. And not to say I'm Led Zeppelin fan but read what they wrote in their first review of LZ debut album (bashing it). Later on, they called them "the heaviest band in history". Johnny Ramone was definitely a virtuoso with his 3-chord progressions LOL. And did they mention Kurt Cobain as well? I'm sure they did.

Check this out

http://www.allaxess.com/guitar-blog/guitar-news/guitar-worlds-100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 09:02

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

He wasn't a virgin ubermensch of course but it doesn't matter.

Are you quoting Rolling Stone? Really? It's the most worthless music magazine ever. And not to say I'm Led Zeppelin fan but read what they wrote in their first review of LZ debut album (bashing it). Later on, they called them "the heaviest band in history". Johnny Ramone was definitely a virtuoso with his 3-chord progressions LOL. And did they mention Kurt Cobain as well? I'm sure they did.

Check this out

http://www.allaxess.com/guitar-blog/guitar-news/guitar-worlds-100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time

Rolling Stone, like all other music journalism magazines, is and has been comprised of several critics whose opinions on the music they write about differ. RS's main flaw is that is has very little unity, not that the subjective opinions of two critics negate each other.

That said, Gentle Giant.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 09:06
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Rolling Stone, like all other music journalism magazines, is and has been comprised of several critics whose opinions on the music they write about differ. RS's main flaw is that is has very little unity, not that the subjective opinions of two critics negate each other.

The thing they placed Johnny Ramone in the guitar giants table is enough to say, they've no idea what a true virtuosity is.

Virtuosity: "great technical skill". Ramones were anything but technical.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 09:35

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

The thing they placed Johnny Ramone in the guitar giants table is enough to say, they've no idea what a true virtuosity is.

Virtuosity: "great technical skill". Ramones were anything but technical.
Sure, but it was "Greatest Guitarists of All Time." Great would imply influence, taste, a bit of fame, and sometimes innovation (which Johnny Ramone did to an extent, but, honestly, innovation is completely based on the listener's perspective). If the list were "Most Virtuosic," Jimi Hendrix would not have been on the list at all. Even Howe would probably lose to several jazz fusion guitarists who have a more intimate knowledge of music theory and stronger chops. These "guitar giants" would easily be dwarfed by the tiny guys who are way more fluent on their instrument.

But, those guitarists aren't great. Steve Howe, Robert Fripp, Johnny Ramone, and Jimi Hendrix helped in a big way to define specific sounds that had influence on guitarists to come. That is the nature of their list. I agree that it in no way proves whether a guitarist is "truly virtuosic" or not (which is only a relative argument to begin with), and I have problems with the list myself, but that's no reason to call RS worthless.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 09:44
We weren't talking about the influential guitarists. We were talking about virtuosity. Only that. I don't really care who was the most influential guitarist of all time and probably no one does. We can't even measure that. We can't also say who is the biggest virtuoso but we can say who is a virtuoso and who is not. 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 10:10

We weren't talking about the influential guitarists. We were talking about virtuosity. Only that. I don't really care who was the most influential guitarist of all time and probably no one does. We can't even measure that. We can't also say who is the biggest virtuoso but we can say who is a virtuoso and who is not. 

Fred Durst

Fred Durst is the most virtusoso 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 11:04

My arguments ≠ the previous arguments. I know it was about virtuosity and not influence. My argument is that the list isn't talking about virtuosity and that calling RS worthless under the pretext that the list is based on virtuosity is a bit much. Of course, I probably should have made clear that I think RS is irrelevant (hey there, Gabe) to the virtuosity conversation in the first place.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 11:30
I still think Rolling Stone is worthless. Because Alex Lifeson was definitely more influential than plenty of guitarists ranked ahead of him.
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 13:37
in the court but gentle giant is great
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 14:19
Originally posted by Earthmover Earthmover wrote:

in the court but gentle giant is great
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 15:13
In The Court...
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>