Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTales From Topographic Oceans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

not to mention the fact I had my copy of TFTO 20 years before you were even born.Ermm

How is this in any way relevant?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

It's an awful lot less terrible than Close To The Edge

Here on Prog Archives:

CTTE -2930 votes.. 4.65 stars
Relayer- 1935 votes.. 4.35 stars
Fragile- 2215 votes...4.42
Yes Album- 1781 votes ..4.28
TFTO-1571 votes.. 3.88 stars

'Nuff said..?

Wink

Yeah ... might makes right, and we go back to the commercialization of tastes and ideas! And you will also incarcerate the next Jesus that comes up, because he is WRONG!

It becomes a case of bad loser and a case of I'm hipper if I vote for the number one.

CTTE is very nice, no doubt about it, and I took many a hit of acid and listened to it (along with Atom Heart Mother!) and enjoyed it tremendously, but it does not compare with TFTO, which is far superior musically, although it has taken Rick Wakeman 30 years to stop saying stupid things about it.

I don't think that I have heard Bill Bruford say bad things about it. Specially when he went on to do so much more of the same experimental and off the charts material with King Crimson and on his own. If anything, he did not think, originally, that the music piece would stand up, and in the end, IT DID! But Bill is not one for looking back and feel sorry for himself ... he has had a magnificent career in a place where 99 out of a 100 folks fail, and he knows it. And is thankful for it.
*sigh*
Might makes right..? Seriously?
My only point was to show that plenty of prog fans including the majority here who post regularly think it's probably not as good as Edge; the fact you like it better only means that you like it better not that it's actually better by any other criteria. But then being the expert you are we should just ignore what everyone else thinks since the ratings are meaningless anyway.
Ermm
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:16
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

not to mention the fact I had my copy of TFTO 20 years before you were even born.Ermm

The easy answer is that after all this time listening to prog and being a Yes fan (up to a point ) one has a better perspective on the merit of any album compared to others in that bands repertoire....imo.
Haquin
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:18

The easy answer is that after all this time listening to prog and being a Yes fan (up to a point ) one has a better perspective on the merit of any album compared to others in that bands repertoire....imo.

Different, maybe.  Not better.  IMO.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:20
I think this has become a very silly argument, somebody even mentioned the second coming of some fictitious character for some strange reason   
TFTO was a significant symphonic prog release in 1973, and at the time I think that it took a bit of a pounding - A lot of people slated the release and slated Yes when they performed it live. Mr Wakeman didn't like it, that's very true and he apparently ordered a curry whilst performing in Manchester's Free Trade Hall and ate it whilst the performance of Tales...
However, since then TFTO has significantly got better with Age and I would seriously say that it would have to be in the top ten symphonic releases of all time - no questions asked!
In the past 12 months I have played Yes twice - and both of those times it was the full TFTO experience. I think that Close to the edge is brilliant also, but it is let down by the last track which is very weak when compared to the other two tracks! (IMO).
It's all about opinion folks! Opinions are like ARSEHOLES, everybody has one!

Edited by M27Barney - February 19 2014 at 10:22
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:24

Different, maybe.  Not better.  IMO.
I agree regarding the personal taste for a specific album.............but again my point was that based on a large sampling of prog fans CTTE is liked better and rated higher.
If you have a better way to rate or judge the quality of an album when it comes to where it stands overall with progsters, I'm all ears.
Haquin
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:29
The ratings system is intrinsically flawed. But, like you said it is one metric we have to compare two releases! I think that TFTO is such an acquired taste it would always score a whole star point below where it should be.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:41
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

However, since then TFTO has significantly got better with Age and I would seriously say that it would have to be in the top ten symphonic releases of all time - no questions asked! 

Sorry, but I strongly dissagree.

No musical composition gets better unless re-released with new arrangements, it may age better than other albums, but never ger better.

IMO is an average album, several thousand meters bellow CTTE and Relayer. It's still an album with good moments and alm most the same amount of filler that ruins it.

In the past 12 months I have played Yes twice - and both of those times it was the full TFTO experience. I think that Close to the edge is brilliant also, but it is let down by the last track which is very weak when compared to the other two tracks! (IMO).
It's all about opinion folks! Opinions are like ARSEHOLES, everybody has one!

I bought my first Tales in 1979, and have listened it a maximum of ten times  and each one sounds worst, I bought the CD in 1995 and listened it twice.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 19 2014 at 10:41

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 11:04
I bought a vinyl version in the late 70's can say for sure, I was into Genesis before Yes, somebody played me Going for the One and I wasn't impressed at first - but Yes grew on me and when I went to college in 1981 - they were my favourite Band! I found the Yes releases a lot harder to get into than the Genesis/Camel albums I bought!
I must have played TFTO - hundreds of times, and it has grown on me as I got older - thus that's why I think it's like a fine wine !! (although I drink Beer not wine!)
You don't Like it and I do - I can live with that !
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 11:23
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Not another TFTO thread. Ermm

Four album sides of noise.  Bill Bruford got out while the getting was good.
By that logic CTTE is also noise.

(1) Sorry not following the logic (or lack of) for your comment. (2) Apparently not many others are either.  When queried for the BEST progressive album ever CTTE is usually found in one of the top three or four spots.  Where as TFTO is rarely even mentioned until much further down the list.
1) TFTO is quite similar in its nature to CTTE, except it's longer ... with longer tracks. But the Mellotron, the superb bass guitar work, reprises - it's all there. What noise are we talking here? ... Makes sense now?

2) Who are the others?
Well here are the results from a currently running poll:

That's doesn't say anything except what the results explicitly suggest - that a lot of people prefer CTTE over TFTO.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:29
If you play C.T.T.E. in a band..you will immediately discover that each individual section was timed out and constructed to end quickly. The segment which runs into the melodic "I Get Up, I Get Down" is a pre-planned sequence with Bill Bruford tapping on the rim of his snare with open and close high hat, Wakeman playing church organ, and Squire producing a counterpoint line on bass. There is a huge difference between C.T.T.E. and T.F.T.O. when considering this detail on the insight of the composition. All the individual sections of C.T.T.E. are quickly performed and no bleeding or desire to hang on a atmospheric section is evident ...except for the slow atmospheric prog type ballad..."I Get Up, I Get Down". Topographic was not written or pieced together in that way and it is a completely diverse type of album and only reveals traces of ideas once used on C.T.T.E.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 14:27

Mr Wakeman didn't like it, that's very true and he apparently ordered a curry whilst performing in Manchester's Free Trade Hall and ate it whilst the performance of Tales...

What actually happened was that Rick shouted to his roadie during a bit he wasn't playing on "we must go for a curry after the gig" (him being the only non-veggie in the band I believe). The roadie misheard him and went out and got a curry straight away. Rick didn't want to waste it so...

Apparently Jon Anderson wasn't too impressed when Rick offered him a poppadum though.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 20:50
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Mr Wakeman didn't like it, that's very true and he apparently ordered a curry whilst performing in Manchester's Free Trade Hall and ate it whilst the performance of Tales...

What actually happened was that Rick shouted to his roadie during a bit he wasn't playing on "we must go for a curry after the gig" (him being the only non-veggie in the band I believe). The roadie misheard him and went out and got a curry straight away. Rick didn't want to waste it so...

Apparently Jon Anderson wasn't too impressed when Rick offered him a poppadum though.

Sir Richard speaks all about it in this interview....it was chicken vindaloo, actually! 

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 21:31
I don't care what you people say.

Tales from Topographic Oceans is still the greatest album ever made.  Cool
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 06:29
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Sir Richard speaks all about it in this interview....it was chicken vindaloo, actually! 

'Take a left here, Rick, climb over that giant mushroom, past the spaceship and just behind, beyond that cloud, are your keyboards.'
LOL
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 16:21
I wonder which curry house it was - there weren't that many in Manchester in 1973....Listened to the whole she-bang tonight - fantastic four movements, enjoyed all 82 minutes of it!!!
And it doesn't make me fell like eating chicken vindaloo strangely.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 17:11

...Listened to the whole she-bang tonight - fantastic four movements, enjoyed all 82 minutes of it!!! .

Hey Barney.

Without wishing to start another interminable atheist v believer debate, I do find it strange that you enjoy Tales, with its extremely long, and impenetrable (to all accounts, including Jon) spiritual lyrics, based as they were on that Yogi chappy whose name escapes me this late.

I know Morse is rather "in your face" as regards his spirituality, or Christianity, but at least it is possible to glean what he goes on about. It is a matter of record that all in Yes and crew, barring Howe, did not have a bloody clue what Jon was Wittering on about, and I say that as a huge fan.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2014 at 06:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It is a matter of record that all in Yes and crew, barring Howe, did not have a bloody clue what Jon was Wittering on about, and I say that as a huge fan.
I don't think even Jon Anderson knows what a "khatru" is!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 06:43

...Listened to the whole she-bang tonight - fantastic four movements, enjoyed all 82 minutes of it!!!

Hey Barney.
Without wishing to start another interminable atheist v believer debate, I do find it strange that you enjoy Tales, with its extremely long, and impenetrable (to all accounts, including Jon) spiritual lyrics, based as they were on that Yogi chappy whose name escapes me this late.
I know Morse is rather "in your face" as regards his spirituality, or Christianity, but at least it is possible to glean what he goes on about. It is a matter of record that all in Yes and crew, barring Howe, did not have a bloody clue what Jon was Wittering on about, and I say that as a huge fan.

Well it's based on the "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda) (and no I haven't read it!) a bit of eastern spiritual writing - and surprisingly - I'm not against human spirituality - where you use your mind/breathing to control all kinds of real conscious experiences - clearly the mind is capable of some very strange things. I know that Anderson was also a Christian - and even mentions Young Christians in the lyrics! However, the lyrics are typically esoteric and basically he plays with the words to make them fit the music - I have always liked Yes's lyrics. I also think that Anderson is more into thinking of his personal god as more of a spirit-of-the-cosmos type of power. Now I don't happen to believe that any consciousness is controlling the vastness of space and think that we are here as a very fortunate consequence of the rules of physics - and that we all should realise how precious and unlikely each of our lives is and not hanker for some nonsense preached to us by (usually) men with ulterior motives (usually personal power and avarice)! Anderson's lyrics are refreshingly life-affirming and his total abhorrence of war is a most commendable theme for any right thinking humanist! Religious people perpetrate child torture every day both mentally (telling children that they will burn in hell) and literally (circumcision), So I don't want any arguments from religious nuts or even worse - liberal apologists!

Edited by M27Barney - February 23 2014 at 06:46
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 07:38

...Listened to the whole she-bang tonight - fantastic four movements, enjoyed all 82 minutes of it!!!

Hey Barney.

Well it's based on the "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda) (and no I haven't read it!) a bit of eastern spiritual writing - and surprisingly - I'm not against human spirituality - where you use your mind/breathing to control all kinds of real conscious experiences - clearly the mind is capable of some very strange things. I know that Anderson was also a Christian - and even mentions Young Christians in the lyrics! However, the lyrics are typically esoteric and basically he plays with the words to make them fit the music - I have always liked Yes's lyrics. I also think that Anderson is more into thinking of his personal god as more of a spirit-of-the-cosmos type of power. Now I don't happen to believe that any consciousness is controlling the vastness of space and think that we are here as a very fortunate consequence of the rules of physics - and that we all should realise how precious and unlikely each of our lives is and not hanker for some nonsense preached to us by (usually) men with ulterior motives (usually personal power and avarice)! Anderson's lyrics are refreshingly life-affirming and his total abhorrence of war is a most commendable theme for any right thinking humanist! Religious people perpetrate child torture every day both mentally (telling children that they will burn in hell) and literally (circumcision), So I don't want any arguments from religious nuts or even worse - liberal apologists!

I am neither a religious nut, nor a liberal apologist. In fact, I tend to loathe the latter more than the former.

Thanks for the explanation, though. Personally, I see little difference between Jon's spiritual view and the Morse God view being placed on record. Both are expressions of belief, even if barely anyone knows precisely what the Anderson view meansLOL Therefore, if one is considered acceptable, I fail to see how the other can be so objectionable.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>