Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTales From Topographic Oceans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 10:30
ORIGINAL QUOTE FROM IVAN M

Sorry, but I strongly dissagree.

No musical composition gets better unless re-released with new arrangements, it may age better than other albums, but never ger better.

IMO is an average album, several thousand meters bellow CTTE and Relayer. It's still an album with good moments and alm most the same amount of filler that ruins it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you hit the nail on the head with why many don't like this album in its entirety. It's because of the parts that are repetitive. It is very difficult for some proggers to swallow these parts. I used to feel the same way. TALES used to be an ok album but one that always took a backseat to the other YES albums. Something happened though after a gazillion listens. It's like the secrets magically unveiled themselves. I'm not making this up. There is something about this album that you either feel or not. After coming to this album from a different mentality i realize that the repetitive parts are meant to be meditative in nature. The album is based on Hindu scripture and makes sense based upon that. An easy listen? Absolutely not. Will it ever be universally loved? I doubt it. I'm only speaking for myself and my experience with this album. There is no way in hell i would have declared this a masterpiece even 10 years ago, but like i said one day it took on a new feel to the whole thing. Once that happened i listened to it again and again and saw it in a completely new light. I first got the album in the 90s so it has taken a good 20 years for this album to come to me in this way. I'm not looking to convince anyone one way or the other. Everyone's opinion on this album or any other is completely legit, but i do want to share my evolution of understanding this album and to state that what you may think about something today does not necessarily mean that it will remain that way forever.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 23 2014 at 10:33
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 14:03
Good album but always feels to me like the ideas are spread too thin over the four LPs.
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 15:25
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

...Listened to the whole she-bang tonight - fantastic four movements, enjoyed all 82 minutes of it!!!

Hey Barney.
Without wishing to start another interminable atheist v believer debate, I do find it strange that you enjoy Tales, with its extremely long, and impenetrable (to all accounts, including Jon) spiritual lyrics, based as they were on that Yogi chappy whose name escapes me this late.
I know Morse is rather "in your face" as regards his spirituality, or Christianity, but at least it is possible to glean what he goes on about. It is a matter of record that all in Yes and crew, barring Howe, did not have a bloody clue what Jon was Wittering on about, and I say that as a huge fan.

Well it's based on the "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda) (and no I haven't read it!) a bit of eastern spiritual writing - and surprisingly - I'm not against human spirituality - where you use your mind/breathing to control all kinds of real conscious experiences - clearly the mind is capable of some very strange things. I know that Anderson was also a Christian - and even mentions Young Christians in the lyrics! However, the lyrics are typically esoteric and basically he plays with the words to make them fit the music - I have always liked Yes's lyrics. I also think that Anderson is more into thinking of his personal god as more of a spirit-of-the-cosmos type of power. Now I don't happen to believe that any consciousness is controlling the vastness of space and think that we are here as a very fortunate consequence of the rules of physics - and that we all should realise how precious and unlikely each of our lives is and not hanker for some nonsense preached to us by (usually) men with ulterior motives (usually personal power and avarice)! Anderson's lyrics are refreshingly life-affirming and his total abhorrence of war is a most commendable theme for any right thinking humanist! Religious people perpetrate child torture every day both mentally (telling children that they will burn in hell) and literally (circumcision), So I don't want any arguments from religious nuts or even worse - liberal apologists!

I am neither a religious nut, nor a liberal apologist. In fact, I tend to loathe the latter more than the former.
Thanks for the explanation, though. Personally, I see little difference between Jon's spiritual view and the Morse God view being placed on record. Both are expressions of belief, even if barely anyone knows precisely what the Anderson view meansLOL Therefore, if one is considered acceptable, I fail to see how the other can be so objectionable.

Well I suppose we should all read the book it's based on - then maybe Anderson's probably abridged representation can be properly cross-examined ! I just sort of like the way that the chanting starts and Anderson reinforces my evolutionary view of the world with the "and we danced from the oceans" - as everybody knows life first began in the oceans before finally branching out and conquering the land and air...
Morse probably believes (what his pastoral father will have assured him) that the world is about six thousand years old and god made all the living things in seven days! If he doesn't believe that then he should realise that if genesis (book 1) of the Old testament is indeed false - then all the rest is as well!
I think that Anderson's eastern spirituality sort of bows down to the god of nature - and who can argue with the one true life-giver being a giant ball of mostly hydrogen and helium, if that explodes we are indeed extinct along with every other living thing on the planet.
TFTO lyrics abound with the awesome nature of this world we live in - the forests - and Nous Sommes du Soleil - we are of the sun! (and that track is AWESOME!)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 01:25
^ I think I agree with that last comment. Anderson was more into spirituality and nature than banging any religious drum. You can hear that more clearly in Jon and Vangelis where his lyrics are a bit more understandable and simpler. btw I like Neal Morse so I don't have an issue with religious lyrics as long as the music is good.

Edited by richardh - February 24 2014 at 01:26
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 03:09
^^^ He and Howe were into new age bunkum..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 06:12
Aye, Howe n Anderson were suddenly immersed into eastern spiritualistic philosophies and a good deal of that was indeed bunkum. Just like Neil Peart reading the Ayn Rand stuff that influenced his lyrical direction. I think that prog musicians would be sometimes influenced by what they're currently reading! I also think that Room V by Shadow Gallery has a reading list of Carl Cadden-James - which includes
The Holy Bible
Feudalism alias American Capitalism (Internet source) ?
The Demon in the Freezer (True Story about smallpox)
The DaVinci Code
Digital Fortress
By way of deception - the making and unmaking of a Mossad Officer ?
River out of Eden
Interesting list, The last by Dawkins is great - the Dan Brown, entertaining in parts I suppose but far too formulaic and obvious for my taste!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 10:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ I think I agree with that last comment. Anderson was more into spirituality and nature than banging any religious drum. You can hear that more clearly in Jon and Vangelis where his lyrics are a bit more understandable and simpler. btw I like Neal Morse so I don't have an issue with religious lyrics as long as the music is good.

The music is good.....I'll see if I can find a better video when it is posted.  

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 12:00
Did they play the full 82 minutes?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 19:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Something happened though after a gazillion listens. It's like the secrets magically unveiled themselves. I'm not making this up. There is something about this album that you either feel or not. After coming to this album from a different mentality i realize that the repetitive parts are meant to be meditative in nature. The album is based on Hindu scripture and makes sense based upon that. An easy listen? Absolutely not. Will it ever be universally loved? I doubt it. I'm only speaking for myself and my experience with this album. There is no way in hell i would have declared this a masterpiece even 10 years ago, but like i said one day it took on a new feel to the whole thing. Once that happened i listened to it again and again and saw it in a completely new light. I first got the album in the 90s so it has taken a good 20 years for this album to come to me in this way. I'm not looking to convince anyone one way or the other. Everyone's opinion on this album or any other is completely legit, but i do want to share my evolution of understanding this album and to state that what you may think about something today does not necessarily mean that it will remain that way forever.

Totally understand Silly Puppy.  I feel the spirituality of the album and it is really the only one that hasn't lost something over 32 years since I've first heard it.  It is the one that gets better, thank God Anderson pushed so hard.  New discoveries come out of the woodwork.  It has a depth and mystery to it, and it is not easily assimilated which is why it never gets boring.  It also feels like a "winter" album to me...every time I walk out into a cold winter night and look at the moon, i hear strains of Revealing Science in my head.  Crazy maybe, but it is a pure joy in my life.  None of their other albums comes close imo. 

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 19:29

ORIGINAL QUOTE FROM IVAN M

Sorry, but I strongly dissagree.

No musical composition gets better unless re-released with new arrangements, it may age better than other albums, but never ger better.

IMO is an average album, several thousand meters bellow CTTE and Relayer. It's still an album with good moments and alm most the same amount of filler that ruins it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you hit the nail on the head with why many don't like this album in its entirety. It's because of the parts that are repetitive. It is very difficult for some proggers to swallow these parts. I used to feel the same way. TALES used to be an ok album but one that always took a backseat to the other YES albums. Something happened though after a gazillion listens. It's like the secrets magically unveiled themselves. I'm not making this up. There is something about this album that you either feel or not. After coming to this album from a different mentality i realize that the repetitive parts are meant to be meditative in nature. The album is based on Hindu scripture and makes sense based upon that. An easy listen? Absolutely not. Will it ever be universally loved? I doubt it. I'm only speaking for myself and my experience with this album. There is no way in hell i would have declared this a masterpiece even 10 years ago, but like i said one day it took on a new feel to the whole thing. Once that happened i listened to it again and again and saw it in a completely new light. I first got the album in the 90s so it has taken a good 20 years for this album to come to me in this way. I'm not looking to convince anyone one way or the other. Everyone's opinion on this album or any other is completely legit, but i do want to share my evolution of understanding this album and to state that what you may think about something today does not necessarily mean that it will remain that way forever.

Your comment about the album "getting better" isn't totally understandable and probable, contrary to what Ivan says, in my opinion. I'm not sure if that applies to TFTO (which hasn't gotten much better for me really) and in an absolutely literal way it can't apply to any album since it can't literally get better with time (it's the same work after all). But music is a memory-based activity. The more you listen to any piece of music, especially long and apparently incoherent ones, the more your memory not only starts to finally "record" what you are hearing but it is more able to anticipate what is coming next, and filling the voids for you, so that the music actually starts making sense. Some will say that good music should be so from the beginning, but any complex work of music demands memory and our cognitive abilities to do their work. Music that demands little of your brain and gets stuck from the start is usually not the most advanced. Again, I'm not sure this applied to TFTO which hasn't really improved with me, but to others, I see how this could work. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:30
I remember when I first saw Yes live (quite late in theday it was 1996) and what was interesting was how much I enjoyed the track they played off the album. I thought it would sound very unfamilar but it didn't. It all slotted into place and made sense.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 16:04

I’ve listened to an interview with Mr. Wakeman and still have the VHS tape somewhere.  Putting the entire interview in perspective makes sense as to his distance about the whole thing.  

At that point in time it was not just the music but a lifestyle for Yes.  They wanted to eat vegetarian food and smoke weed.  He wanted steak and a beer.

In the studio the ideas along with the music seemed to drag on and on; constant bleeding. Yea, no sh*t, because everyone was high except for Mr. Wakeman.  If he partook in the ganja he would have undoubtedly slowed down as well.

Personally, I think Tales from Topographic Oceans is another masterpiece by Yes.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 09:55
have you ever wished for 80+ mins free everyday to listen to this amazing album
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 10:46

Did they play the full 82 minutes?

Here's a longer clip.  Check YouTube for updates on Jon Anderson & Transatlantic.  Gawd, I wish they would tour "Tales," much like the Who toured "Quadraphenia" years after its release!  I saw the latter show, it was drop-dead amazing with some excellent side musicians added.  

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 11:08
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Something happened though after a gazillion listens. It's like the secrets magically unveiled themselves. I'm not making this up. There is something about this album that you either feel or not. After coming to this album from a different mentality i realize that the repetitive parts are meant to be meditative in nature. The album is based on Hindu scripture and makes sense based upon that. An easy listen? Absolutely not. Will it ever be universally loved? I doubt it. I'm only speaking for myself and my experience with this album. There is no way in hell i would have declared this a masterpiece even 10 years ago, but like i said one day it took on a new feel to the whole thing. Once that happened i listened to it again and again and saw it in a completely new light. I first got the album in the 90s so it has taken a good 20 years for this album to come to me in this way. I'm not looking to convince anyone one way or the other. Everyone's opinion on this album or any other is completely legit, but i do want to share my evolution of understanding this album and to state that what you may think about something today does not necessarily mean that it will remain that way forever.

Totally understand Silly Puppy.  I feel the spirituality of the album and it is really the only one that hasn't lost something over 32 years since I've first heard it.  It is the one that gets better, thank God Anderson pushed so hard.  New discoveries come out of the woodwork.  It has a depth and mystery to it, and it is not easily assimilated which is why it never gets boring.  It also feels like a "winter" album to me...every time I walk out into a cold winter night and look at the moon, i hear strains of Revealing Science in my head.  Crazy maybe, but it is a pure joy in my life.  None of their other albums comes close imo. 
These are my exact sentiments toward the album. There's something that's way more focused aesthetically than the other albums, even though one might claim that the song forms are not as focused. It's like all the things that made Yes interesting are brought to the forefront for a highly meditative, personal, and vivid experience.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 11:44
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

These are my exact sentiments toward the album. There's something that's way more focused aesthetically than the other albums, even though one might claim that the song forms are not as focused. It's like all the things that made Yes interesting are brought to the forefront for a highly meditative, personal, and vivid experience.

Very well said...it is more focused as a work like you say, despite the irony of many who think it an unfocused mess. 
Their other albums are rock albums.  Tales is like a High Mass or some ritual experience.  A complete event. It's quite like the Ghost "live nippon" album although that one is more sounds than melodies. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 03:33
I suspect there was less 'intellectual forcing' going on. The point of meditation is to detach yourself from your 'useless' worldly thoughts and connect with a higher spiritual something or other (God??!). Music is primarily an intellectually driven process so at times you have the feeling of a band jamming with no direction , which is basically what the supposed padded parts sound like I guess.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 05:51
The centrum of meditation is breathing! And as you try to concentrate on the breathing you are attempting to "switch off" those subroutines that your brain is running that maybe considered "Noise". I have been attempting meditation for several years - and I have not quite mastered anything more than good relaxation of my muscles!
However, I suspect that the adept is possibly able to access (those routines that for most of us are clearly private (OO term I know but hey!) - these routines control breathing, heart rate, orgasm , and body temperature! I also suspect that if the adept turns inwards he may be able to create multiple personality routines within his head (like people with malfunctioning brains do involuntary) - these routines would then appear to the consciousness as other people talking to them!
And yes all this is local to the brain - in no way has science detected any signals to or from the brain during meditation - thus no possibility of communing with the dead, or a god or alien?
Nut's will probably tell you that the signals are currently of an unknown and undetectable energy! - However the burden of proof is with them to tell us what that energy is - as the internal brain theory has already been proven by a lot of experimentation - so with Occams razor I will choose those hypothesis' for the time being!

Edited by M27Barney - February 28 2014 at 05:53
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 09:28
now now M27Barney just play TFTO.

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 14:43
I`ve just finished listening too!. TFTO on the remastered 2013 cd. but its great sound but I`m a vinyl gent.

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>