38 [46.34%]
44 [53.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foxtrot or Selling England?
    Posted: March 01 2014 at 04:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Trying to understand your line of 'reasoning' but struggling. The choice of tracks that bands play live as very little to do with them being essential or not.

ELP only played Trilogy live a small handfull of times (maybe 2 or 3 at most). They dropped it for technical reasons and in fact most of the Trilogy album was only played on the tour that followed its release and then dropped. Hoedown, From The Beginning and The Sheriff were the only tracks that survived the cull. They were easy to play live and a lot of fun which brings me back to Genesis and why they played I Know What I Like. 

Well, look at it this way. I think if a band plays a particular song for several (or many) tours over years (or decades) that suggests a few things to me:
1. The band thinks it is one of their better tunes, and thus wants to play it
2. The band knows the song is popular with the fans, and feels compelled to play it

I think this is true with I Know What I Like (especially reason #2). I think what the band thinks are their better tunes is just as important as what fans think are the better tunes and this is reflected in how often a band plays a particular tune live over the years. Just because I Know What I Like is a simple song does not mean that it should be discredited or tossed out when thinking of essential Genesis material. The Carpet Crawlers and Afterglow are relatively simple songs and those are some of the best tunes the band ever wrote. "Simple" or "Easy" should not prevent a song from being considered a classic of the band. That's just a silly sort of Prog bias that only complicated stuff is good. Not so.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 01:51
Originally posted by Genital Giant Genital Giant wrote:

Such a tough choice between these two, the two best Genesis albums imo. 
Well, I look at this way, Foxtrot has 30 and 1/2 minutes of absolutely essential material with Supper's Ready and Watcher of the Skies.
Selling England has 24 minutes of absolutely essential material with Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth, and I Know What I Like.

So Foxtrot wins by just a little.

If you take out I Know What I LikeThumbs Down and add Dancing With The Moonlit KnightThumbs Up then what would be the score I wonder?

I Know What I Like IS an essential Genesis track, that one has been played by the band live probably more than any other from the Gabriel era. It's a great song with a great chorus. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight is a wonderful song but it was never played again live (other than the opening vocal bit) after the Selling England tour. That clearly makes it a non-essential Genesis tune to me. 

"Essential" songs, to me, are ones that the band played on multiple tours and that stood the test of time. Songs that just got played on one tour are not as significant.

I don't agree. I know what I like was just a bit of a singalong and so suited the band playing live. It does have a nice groove but it will never be 'essential' in my view.

If you follow this argument then ELP - Trilogy is 'non essential' yet many consider it to be one of their best tracks.

Incorrect, Trilogy has been played on more than one tour. 

Also..... ELP...... please. Ermm

Trying to understand your line of 'reasoning' but struggling. The choice of tracks that bands play live as very little to do with them being essential or not.

ELP only played Trilogy live a small handfull of times (maybe 2 or 3 at most). They dropped it for technical reasons and in fact most of the Trilogy album was only played on the tour that followed its release and then dropped. Hoedown, From The Beginning and The Sheriff were the only tracks that survived the cull. They were easy to play live and a lot of fun which brings me back to Genesis and why they played I Know What I Like. 

Putting that aside I think your ranking of albums on how much essential material is on them is perfectly reasonable. The great tracks are what matters. If I get 30 minutes or thereabouts of essential music on an album then that is good enough. Even over 50% is good enough imo.

Edited by richardh - February 26 2014 at 01:54
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 23:11

Well, I look at this way, Foxtrot has 30 and 1/2 minutes of absolutely essential material with Supper's Ready and Watcher of the Skies.
Selling England has 24 minutes of absolutely essential material with Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth, and I Know What I Like.

If you take out I Know What I LikeThumbs Down and add Dancing With The Moonlit KnightThumbs Up then what would be the score I wonder?

I Know What I Like IS an essential Genesis track, that one has been played by the band live probably more than any other from the Gabriel era. It's a great song with a great chorus. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight is a wonderful song but it was never played again live (other than the opening vocal bit) after the Selling England tour. That clearly makes it a non-essential Genesis tune to me. 

"Essential" songs, to me, are ones that the band played on multiple tours and that stood the test of time. Songs that just got played on one tour are not as significant.

I don't agree. I know what I like was just a bit of a singalong and so suited the band playing live. It does have a nice groove but it will never be 'essential' in my view.

If you follow this argument then ELP - Trilogy is 'non essential' yet many consider it to be one of their best tracks.

Incorrect, Trilogy has been played on more than one tour. 

Also..... ELP...... please. Ermm
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:42

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 19:28

LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 04:13
Foxtrot. I  don't dig SEBTP
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 02:19
I heard Foxtrot first and was captivated from the beginning of "Watcher of the Skies" to the end of "Supper's Ready."  Programmatically, I find it superior to Selling England By The Pound, and without a weak track in the bunch ("More Fool Me," I'm looking at you!).  I do love Selling England, though, and given that it gave Genesis their earliest lasting single ("I Know What I Like"), it is perhaps more deserving of "classic album" status.  My vote still goes to Foxtrot.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 01:47

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 17:47

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 17:35
I like Battle because it's crazy like the subject matter---plus Genesis songs are so organized that this one stands out because it is not--it is chopped up and disjointed----it is rebellious like it's subject matter---but when all is said and done --some have been critical that Suppers Ready sounds chopped up and disjointed --so there is a precedent for this.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 09:17
Originally posted by kjprogger kjprogger wrote:

But I can't understand how people can love Battle so much.
Never heard of those people.
Originally posted by kjprogger kjprogger wrote:

The words don't lay over the music naturally.
Some of us don't have a problem with that.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 23 2014 at 09:19
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 08:09
I voted Selling in a close one.  But I can't understand how people can love Battle so much.   The words don't lay over the music naturally.  It sounds very forced to my ears.  A couple very pleasing, catchy parts.  But overall, one of the worst Genesis tunes of all times.  The other classics on Selling are so great that I still voted for it.  
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 06:58
Not a huge fan of either, but Watcher of the Skies is phenomenal, so Foxtrot it is.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 18:32
Foxtrot is nice, but, for me, it's the weakest of the Gabriel era.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 01:39

Selling England by the Pound

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 17:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^You don't like Can-Utility and the Coastliners Audun? That's without a doubt my favourite track off Foxtrot. An epic with all the pomp and imaginative turnovers delivered in just under 6 minutes.
I don't dislike it. I like the whole album, but the first five tracks don't get me too excited, and I'm sort of waiting for Supper's to begin every time I listen to it.

Selling's got the highlights more spread out, and although it, too, has got some, IMO, lesser tracks (and I rate a couple of those less than any track on Foxtrot, truth be told), because they're spread out, I find them less intrusive, as they're more like breathers between the epics than slightly annoying bits before the grand finale, if that makes any sense.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 15:44
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

England is a bit dull in parts. Foxtrot is better

Maybe England is a bit dull in parts, but anyway it's a good album, while Foxtrot is dull from start to finish. LOL

I really like watcher, coastliners and timetable. Fine tracks from start to finish. I'd say cinema and Epping give me the same feeling. Although I cringe a bit at the start of cinema. Epping is a fun track. The fun part of supper just isn't enjoyable enough for me although the serious first half is pretty good although a bit cheesy
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 15:42

Maybe England is a bit dull in parts, but anyway it's a good album, while Foxtrot is dull from start to finish. LOL

I really like watcher, coastliners and timetable. Fine tracks from start to finish. I'd say cinema and Epping give me the same feeling. Although I cringe a bit at the start of cinema. Epping is a fun track. The fun part of supper just isn't enjoyable enough for me although the serious first half is pretty good although a bit cheesy
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 15:10

If Foxtrot is supposed to be dull then as from now I give up bothering with prog rock because it must all be dull
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 15:08
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Genesis - The most productive and prolific prog/pop prog band of all time

Yes- Unbelievable albums, I give Talk quite a few spins and still love it. And Fly from Here was a welcome surprise

The Ladder , Keystudio and Magnification stand up pretty well also. Yes were only really 'bad for a period in the mid to late eighties when nearly everyone was equally bad as well it seemed

The 80's were quite bad for old prog bands, although I still think 90125 is one of Yes's best albums.

I am actually liking 90125 at the moment. The Big Generator and Union are the 'dodgy' ones I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>