Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPsychedelic Rock Revisted -- Proto-Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 18:21
Back in the day the first 2 Moody Blues and the first 2 Procol Harum lp's all had that proto prog thing going on...as well as the first Family lp...and Touch was one of my favorites also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 21:42
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

And also Buffalo Springfield's "Broken Arrow" from Buffalo Springfield Again.

A great song for American ProtoProg but it came in October 1967.  

I think a lot of Prog's influence came from a more rock version of what was already
happening in things like soundtrack music, Herb Alpert, and Brian Wilson's influence:
Phil Specter.  I still say, as much as it sounds funny, Donovan's Sunshine Superman
is probably the most ProtoProg thing happening, even if I probably won't like a lot of it.
It's combining classical instrumentation with rock, as well as exotic instruments, and
odd, very slow meters  He even has that "royal court" imagery that Genesis would
later revel in.  I imagine there might have been a lot of "droopy" folk 
going around that might have influenced Donovan, maybe some "Beat" 
culture music.  That's an interesting topic (!): what was the most progressive folk 
happening at the earlier times?
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 22:00
The Beatles "Revolver" came out in August 1966, whereas Donovan's "Sunshine Superman" came
out in September 1966.  Both of them sound amazingly different than regular rock albums, much
more "intelligent" musically, with many world music influences, and even classical, such as
Eleanor Rigby.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 08:07
Bookends by Simon & Garfunkle

Edited by aginor - February 24 2014 at 08:09
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 10:47
Electric Flag ..1966...recorded music for a film titled "The Trip". It was a collage of everything from electronic experiments to Dixieland. and merry-go-round music to hard soul jamming.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 10:57
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

(...)I'm curious what the year 1966 put out as far as innovative rock.  

I'd like to recommend East West as an 13-minute long instruemental track released in 1966 (at same titled album) as truly innovative as well. Unbelievable Mike Bloomfield's guitar work. Nobody was recorded something like that before. It was recorded at one live studio session and even today it doesn't sound dated.
This came as surprise for 1966. I am thinking Donovan might be one of the most prog artists in 1966.  Listening to the first three songs on Sunrise Superman from 1966.  The 3rd song is a lot like very early Crimson.

I agreed for Donovan.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 07:52
Some (psychedelic rock?) highlights of '66:

East-West (13:18) 1966 The Paul Butterfield Blues Band “East-West”

And I like it (10:36) recorded 1966 / released ? Jefferson Airplane

Smokestack Lightning (10:52) 4 Sep live (Wolfgang’s Vault) 1966 Quicksilver Messenger Blues

The Same Thing (11:13) 19 Nov 1966 Grateful Dead live at Fillmore Auditorium

In the Midnight Hour (18:57) 19 Nov 1966 Grateful Dead live at Fillmore Auditorium

Eight Miles High                Jan/March '66                     Byrds           

Rain                                    April/June '66                     Beatles                                

Doctor Robert                    April/Aug '66                      Beatles                               

Break on Through (To…)   Aug '66/Jan '67                   Doors                                 

Light My Fire                     Aug '66/Jan '67                   Doors                                 

Cobwebs and Strange        Oct/Dec '66                        Who                                   

Third Stone from the Sun   Oct '66/May '67                  The Jimi Hendrix Exp       

White Rabbit                                              Nov '66/Feb '67                Jefferson Airplane             

C.T.A. – 102                       Dec '66/Feb '67                   Byrds                                 

2-4-2 Fox Trot (The Lear Jet Song)                                                     Byrds (May/July '66)

Seven & Seven Is                                                                                Love (?/June '66)

Psychotic Reaction                                                                              The Count Five (?/June '66)

Bad Little Woman                                                         Shadows Of Knight (?/July '66)

I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)                       The Electric Prunes (?/Nov '66)

Blues' Theme                                                                  Davie Allen & The Arrows (?/Dec '66)

Strawberry Fields Forever                                                                   Beatles (Nov-Dec '66/Feb '67)

Edited by earlyprog - February 25 2014 at 08:30
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 08:01
Hi,

Ohhh damn!

Iron Butterfly is missing!

Edited by moshkito - February 25 2014 at 08:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 08:03
Hi,

Hahaha ... I still have that TOUCH LP. Not even sure it is playable anymore!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 10:08
Although released "too late" (1968), there is a hell of reason that those two songs ought to be mentioned in this thread..

..especially this one Wink

Edited by Svetonio - February 25 2014 at 10:14
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 12:02
Let's not forget H.P. Lovecraft. Although their 2nd album is better, you've got to hand it to them for putting a Gregorian chant on their debut album (Oct. 1967). It's so regressive as to be progressive:

And a bit of Vaudeville mixed in with their trip:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 04:54
on the top of my head, definetely the first albums from Procol Harum and The Moody Blues, but I guess that already known...
But for sure you should listen to the first 2 albums by 'Ultimate Spinach'... They are wonderful! :)
A classic example of Psychedelic Rock, mixed with Jazz Rock and Prog elements. (For example in the song Jazz Thing)... Check them out! ;)

Edited by The Jester - March 04 2014 at 04:56
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:54

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

And also Buffalo Springfield's "Broken Arrow" from Buffalo Springfield Again.

A great song for American ProtoProg but it came in October 1967.  

I think a lot of Prog's influence came from a more rock version of what was already
happening in things like soundtrack music, Herb Alpert, and Brian Wilson's influence:
Phil Specter.  I still say, as much as it sounds funny, Donovan's Sunshine Superman
is probably the most ProtoProg thing happening, even if I probably won't like a lot of it.
It's combining classical instrumentation with rock, as well as exotic instruments, and
odd, very slow meters  He even has that "royal court" imagery that Genesis would
later revel in.  I imagine there might have been a lot of "droopy" folk 
going around that might have influenced Donovan, maybe some "Beat" 
culture music.  That's an interesting topic (!): what was the most progressive folk 
happening at the earlier times?
For a few years in the early to mid 60's..it became a popular idea to fuse classical melodies with Pop music or what would have been defined then as....a "Rock Hit". Most Pop Rock American bands that charted with a #1 hit had musically schooled backgrounds. Bands like The Box Tops and The Lovin' Spoonful wrote some very hokey charted tunes..but were surprisingly excellent musicians doing their job. Well....that was the first time I heard about it and I must have been age 10. How scary..but classical written lines were borrowed for Motown #1 hits. The Ventures ..the instrumental guitar oriented band recorded many sci-fi themes like "The Outer Limits" and "The Twilight Zone" and produced their own arrangements for guitar...which! was a progressive thing to do in the early 60's. The idea was later produced to represent a different meaning by fusing it with a serious religious subject and it's significance to the on going times of war. These ideas were often presented through theatre and to be taken seriously while the industry kept looking for the next Beatles. The one that lasted from 63' to 65'? Then they bought The Monkees. It was interesting even if people did borrow from Bernard Hermann
Dragontrouser View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 05:55
Jefferson Airplane:
Jefferson Airplane Takes Off 1966
Surrealistic Pillow 1967
After Bathing at Baxters 1967
Crown of Creation 1968
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 08:40
Gandalf recorded their album in 1967 (although it was released in 1969)  and it suits perfectly to the topic. Also Cream was playing in that time, but these bands aren't listed in PA :/

and obviously this one ;)

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 17:14
I have all 3 on vinyl..........Big smile

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 17:34
Everyone here should know this one and it was also covered by Arthur Brown apparently......

Haquin
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 03:09
Zombies, Left Banke

Not prog at all, but lovely, lush classical melodies.

Spirit, Love... (Man I feel cool typing out these band names) It's a Beautiful Day... they might be too hippy/jammy. CSNY is one of my favorites but these are all obvious probably. Maybe Sagittarius, The Idle Race... any baroque pop.

"Odessa" from the Bee Gees, also "Every Christian Lion Hearted Man..." from the debut.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 05:01
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Back in the day the first 2 Moody Blues and the first 2 Procol Harum lp's all had that proto prog thing going on...as well as the first Family lp...and Touch was one of my favorites also.
The Magnificent Moodies proto-prog? Really? Only Go Now stands out as being the embryonic beginning of the Moodies foray into Baroque Pop, the rest of the album is (as I recall) typical English Whiteboy R&B. 

I would also call Procol's first two albums Baroque Rock though they have one foot at least in Blues Rock territory on their first four albums. 

Good call on Family, they don't get enough shout-outs on this forum, a truly great band - In A Doll's House is also heavily laden with Baroque Rock. 

Baroque Pop/Rock is not Psychedelic Pop/Rock, though they are related, I would cite Baroque Pop/Rock as being the other ingredient that with Psych Pop/Rock and Jazz Rock that formed the basis for the emergent Progressive Rock back then. 
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 05:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The Magnificent Moodies proto-prog? Really? Only Go Now stands out as being the embryonic beginning of the Moodies foray into Baroque Pop, the rest of the album is (as I recall) typical English Whiteboy R&B. 

I would also call Procol's first two albums Baroque Rock though they have one foot at least in Blues Rock territory on their first four albums.  

You recall correctly. The Moodies were part of the r & b scene, and if that debut, is even remotely classified as "proto prog", then I would immediately submit The Yardbirds, John MAyall's Bluesbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, The Stones, The Faces, in fact virtually every single Whiteboy R & B band who had more than a 60 second spot on Ready Steady Go for inclusion on this ever expanding site of ours.

Look on the bright side, Dean. At least they are not Band Cramp sourced, and more than five people will have heard of them!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>