Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpoke Of Shadows for eclectic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spoke Of Shadows for eclectic
    Posted: March 01 2014 at 06:05
Now streaming at Progstreaming, this band shows huge potential and one that I personally find to be one of the most enjoyable new bands of past years

Suggested for eclectic prog.

http://spokeofshadows.wix.com/spokeofshadows

Spoke of Shadows is a collaboration between Bill Bachman (drummer, author, and creator of the Remote Speedy Hat) and Mark Cook (Warr guitarist/multi-instrumentalist).

Bill Bachman - drums (Neal Morse, Michael Harris)

Mark Cook - Warr guitar, ADG fretless bass, guitar, and keyboards (Herd of Instinct, Hands, 99 Names of God)

Guest Musicians:

Joe Blair - guitar 

Gayle Ellett - rhodes and mellotron (Djam Karet, Fernwood, Ukab Maerd)

Bob Fisher - flute (Herd of Instinct)

Michael Harris - guitar (Thought Chamber, solo artist)

Jeff Plant - fretless bass (Alex Acuna, Conundrum, Thought Chamber) 

Tony Rohrbough - guitar (Byzantine)

Dave Streett - Warr guitar (Herd of Instinct)

Shannon Wickline - piano (Charlie Daniels Band)

all artwork by Garth Hill

12 tracks of instrumental music, total time 48:00
Recorded in Arlington, TX, Plano, TX, Topanga, California, and Gastonia, North Carolina
Released by: Firepool Records
Release date: February 25th 2014

Spoke of Shadows was born when Mark was finishing the mixes of the latest Herd of Instinct release “Conjure”. After completing two HOI CDs in two years, he wanted to focus on taking his music into a new direction, writing music that was moodier and had more dynamics.  He began recording pieces by layering Warr guitars, with 8 string fretless bass, drums, guitars, and keyboards.  After a few tracks were written, the project took another turn when a friend introduced Mark to Bill Bachman.  Mark gave the tracks to Bill with only one instruction “Play what you normally would not be allowed to play in other bands”! After some virtual recording sessions Mark and Bill met for the first time in 2013 at a Led Zeppelin tribute show in Dallas, where they discussed the status of their recording project and their love of Gabriel-era Genesis.  That meeting helped to cement the direction of the music, resulting in the album we have here.

Mark described the album saying “Our goal was to create a hybrid progressive music that covers a wide range of moods and styles. No rules! After finishing the majority of the writing we began looking for collaborators to help add some sonic variation to the music.  The approach was to find players from diverse backgrounds to help create a unique vocabulary that takes the listener on a sonic journey.  All of the guest musicians magically fell into place on the recording, and added immense depth to the tracks.” 

Spoke Of Shadows is released by Firepool Records, owned by the members of the instrumental group Djam Karet. Firepool Records has also released CDs by Hillmen, Henderson/Oken, and Herd Of Instinct.

Mark Cook is a Texas based Warr guitarist/multi-instrumentalist who is a member of the progressive rock band Herd of Instinct. He has appeared on recording by the electronic experimenters 99 Names of God, the psychedelic Liquid Sound Company, and the progressive Hands. He is one of the few players of the Warr guitar – a 12 to 14 string instrument with the range of a guitar and bass that is played with two hand tapping. Mark has also composed music for the game company Acceleroto.

Bill Bachman studied percussion performance at the University of North Texas and is a graduate of the Berklee College of Music. He is a regular contributing columnist for Modern Drummer magazine and is the author of the book Stick Technique, an Essential Guide for the Modern Drummer published through Modern Drummer Publishing, as well as the "Logic" instructional book series for Row-Loff Productions. Bill’s the inventor of the Remote Speedy Hat, the designer of Vic Firth’s Heavy Hitter pad series and signature Billy Club drumstick and founder of DrumWorkout.com. He has toured with progressive rock artist Neal Morse, and freelances with various artists in the Dallas area. Bill is an international drum clinician and he endorses Vic Firth sticks, Remo drumheads, Zildjian cymbals, and Dynasty drums.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 06:11
I wish I was on my laptop, so I could listen to this. I am a big fan of Gayle's
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 08:08
Don't miss out on this great band Wink
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 22:57
I think this one needs another run through...David - hope you've got your laptop handy... LOL
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 18:46
Arh, C'mon, I can't be wrong about this band...Ouch

There has been a change of guard, but the guard for ecelctic prog surely has not been forgotten....TongueLOLStern Smile

Has this site dismissed all standards for what prog is? 

(Just testing - perhaps I should look for alternative sites...I'm slightly disappointed...actually getting more disappointed...Confused...about the future of PA).

Hello Smile....anybody out there Shocked ?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 01:43
Give the evals time, Earlyprog! Sometimes takes a few weeks for these things to come together! Often the team members for each genre live in all different parts of the world too!

But I second your praise, they're a great band! I bought the CD a few weeks ago and only got a chance to spin it today! SUPERB instrumental prog, like a mix of `The Power To Believe/ContruKtion of Light' era Crimson with gloomy late night jazzy improvs.

Don't worry, they'll get on the site, it's a sure thing
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 02:24
Well they haven't been thrown to eclectic yet, so maybe that's why nothing has happened. I've been on my phone for a long while now and haven't been able to do links. Sorry, but unless the eclectic team has come across this band themselves, then I don't think they're being evaluated.

Also, deep breaths earlyprog:-) There's nothing in this thread suggesting that PA collabs think this band isn't prog;-)

And yes I am on my phone as I type this, which again means that I won't be able to forward this band yet. Sorry earlyprog, but sometimes these suggestions fall through the cracks, and on this occasion it was me who forgot

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 25 2014 at 02:29
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 02:45
How about some Youtube clips to get the ball rolling, Dave?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 02:47
^Thanks MichaelBig smile

And I just now dropped them a line in the eclectic thread. My apologies that I forgot about this band.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 03:12
Oh, all good, Dave! Just stumbled on this thread myself after spinning the album for the first time today!

The Eclectic group can feel free to ask about any specific CD details, or if they need to hear more tracks, I have the physical disc so can probably help out
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 03:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Thanks MichaelBig smile

And I just now dropped them a line in the eclectic thread. My apologies that I forgot about this band.

Thanks David and Michael, I have just finished listening to all the samples and been meaning to bring it over the team myself.
On a personal note I must say that not every band that plays music that is close to KC is eclectic. Crimson are eclectic because of their whole discography and not because of The Power To Believe for example. I've heard a lot of bands/projects that plays that kind of music and even include members from the new Crimson line up but IMO would fit best in Heavy Prog and not eclectic. But by listening to Spoke Of Shadows once I think they have a shot, but I think more samples are needed for proper eval...
Thanks!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 03:41
Sagi, definitely the samples seem to focus on the `heavier' aspects, overall there's not as much as of that on the disc. Some tracks are more sedate, with lots of jazzy piano and flute.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 05:03
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sagi, definitely the samples seem to focus on the `heavier' aspects, overall there's not as much as of that on the disc. Some tracks are more sedate, with lots of jazzy piano and flute.

Oh yeah I picked on that since I listened to a few more samples on their web site featuring exactly what you described, that's why I said they do have a shot Thumbs Up
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 15:14
We can find some KC's musical elements in "Math Rock" , "Avant " , "Symphonic", "Prog Metal" , "Tech/Extreme" sub genres. I think combinations of sub genres or styles elements to make a solid musical concept  can be one of "Eclectic" face or meaning. But great bands like KC have their own unique "TOUCH" . KC use many of different musical elements of different styles to create masterpieces from their first to last albums (IMO). They are incomparable.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 11:56
Still not under official consideration according to PF Shocked

Their debut is easily one of the top prog albums of 2014.

Edited by earlyprog - December 09 2014 at 12:00
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 12:52
Eclectic team don't use progfreak - they did in the dim and distant past, but not for several years now (around five, I believe). The artists remainng in their 'new' chart on that site have largely been dealt with elsewhere, although Greek artist Kostas Tournas looks as though it might be a bit of 'unfinished business'... Ermm Regarding Spoke Of Shadows, someone with four or five stars needs to pop down under the stairs and have a peep in the Eclectic team's secret den for you... Evil Smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 13:04
It looks as though they may be leaning towards moving them to Heavy Prog. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 13:16
In which case they WILL soon be on progfreak!! LOL Thanks Scott! Thumbs Up
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:28
Well done! The album is also one of my top picks for this year, and some time ago I wrote a review of it for my blog. Mark Cook (one half of the band) is a very nice guy as well as a fantastic musician, and the project deserves to be added here as soon as possible. I will be glad to do the addition myself if the band gets the green light.

Edited by Raff - December 09 2014 at 15:29
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 06:21
Added Thumbs Up

Unfortunately too late for my Collaborators' AOTY 2014 List submission Unhappy

BTW, great album review, Raff Smile 

Edited by earlyprog - January 21 2015 at 06:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>