FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStanding up for the 3 star rating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 07:06
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I think that's why if your going to use a reviewer as a guide to buy music it's important to know their rating tendancies and tastes.

Right. I know that your rating are 'generous' and that's fine. Avestin for example, rates quite a lot of albums with 3 stars, and still these albums are excellent, so I don't mind.

ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 07:10
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

If I want to buy an album, I am obviously going to prioritise and go for one that's already rated 4-plus and where the reviews also seem to justify the rating.  

I think it is much more fruitful to develope one's taste, instead of just following the 'crowd'.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 02:44
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think 0 stars would be abused liberally so quite rightly was removed. DO NOT BRING IT BACK

back on the subject of 3 stars. I tend to give to albums I don't really 'get' but I know are well respected. I thought English Electric Part One was a bit bland and lacking real bite so 3 stars seemed appropriate. I listen to it regularly and quite enjoy it. 
I gave In A Glass House 3 stars .Probably my least favourite GG album from their 'classic' period but I love the albums released just before and just after so it would be silly to give it less than 3 stars. 3 stars does offer a reasonable buffer to offer a 'protest' without going over the top.

I just don't follow this line of reasoning at all. You can still be respectful of any album's place in the grand scheme of received opinion by expressing such in your review without any need to feel obligated to award three stars. Why would or could you tell us you think an album is good if you don't get it? Lots of us round here value your contributions so at least have a bit more faith in your own opinions. It's your review/rating not ours
. Why pander to conventional wisdom when it is at odds with your own feelings?Confused

because I don't actually dislike those albums its I just don't understand why they are so highly rated. I always give my opinion about anything I review. If I don;'t like something I will say. I was a bit on the fence about BBT's album so 3 stars seemed about right.

there is a lot of music that is like this for me. I think Camel are the classic example. I find them very pleasant but I sometimes wonder why they are so highly rated. In my mind there is a confusion. I should probably give their albums 3 stars and not the 5 stars I think I gave Moonmadness ( I would need to check). I can find nothing wrong with their music it just doesn't excite me like ELP or Yes. So I am second guessing myself. Is that really showing a lack of confidence or does it mean that I am less arrogant and less precious about my opinion compared to some others? 

I get from your post that you are troubled by something that does not offend your aesthetic sensibilities compared with something that does and only one slot to choose from i.e. how could you give both phenomena 2 stars?, so you grant the former 3 stars but admit to finding the content not unpleasant but bland. Would the introduction of half stars solve this for you? I think I'm luckier than you in that I consider not unpleasant but bland to be just as offensive as obnoxious and spiteful (but I guess that makes me very arrogantWink)

I've never hard anything that is 'obnoxious or spiteful' so I can't comment on that.

Half stars would be good. 

1.5 stars - not a total pile sh*t but close
2.5 stars - no strong feelings either way but not bad
3.5 stars - good effort but plenty of room for improvement
4.5 stars - great tracks but with just that one annoyingly bad track (ie BSS)

Approve
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 07:39
Looking at all the posts here I can't find anyone who dosen't like the idea of half stars. So who exactly do we need to convince?

Bonus tracks and remasters are also a big headache. I'm in the process of reviewing Opeth's Heritage and the 10 track version is only worth 2 stars, but the bonus tracks are just about good enough to bump it to 3 (I would give it 2.5 if I could). I am also reviewing Maudlin Of The Well's debut album which was bashed by many reviwers due to its poor sound quality. However I have the 2012 remaster and it sounds fine (except for the bonus tracks which were not remastered).

Everyone has their own rules on how to rate this stuff because there are no site rules. Personally I don't count bonus tracks when I give my star rating (but I will specify that it would have been 3 stars if the bonus tracks were part of the standard version). And I don't bother about sound quality as long as a good newer version of the album exists.

Edited by LakeGlade12 - March 12 2014 at 07:39
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:34
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

Looking at all the posts here I can't find anyone who dosen't like the idea of half stars. So who exactly do we need to convince?

Cal it a wild stab in the dark if you like, but how about the site owner?
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:47

Just him (MAX)? I thought there would be some upper circle of Prog forum masters or something like that?

I have just got a stong mental image of people wearing capes in some super secret room and a photograph of 2112 in the centre of the room   

Edited by LakeGlade12 - March 12 2014 at 08:47
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:49
LOL
What?
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:49

I have just got a stong mental image of people wearing capes in some super secret room and a photograph of 2112 in the centre of the room   

I wouldn't speculate about it so publicly. They don't appreciate it.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:54
hahah no such thing:) We're ordinary folks who try our best to juggle real life with the task of keeping our beloved site together.
I am currently studying to be a pedagogue, and then I do this for fun:)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 10:00
Originally posted by ShW1 ShW1 wrote:

If I want to buy an album, I am obviously going to prioritise and go for one that's already rated 4-plus and where the reviews also seem to justify the rating.  

I think it is much more fruitful to develope one's taste, instead of just following the 'crowd'.

Er, thank you very much for assuming I do not have my own tastes. You have next to no idea about my background so don't preach.  I do have my own preferences and at the same time I am also realistic and have to follow some thumb rules when I am confronted by hundreds of albums with different average ratings.  This does not mean I don't listen at all to albums that are not rated above 4.  I am not some wealthy millionaire patron so common sense is at least as important as artistic sense to me.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 10:20

Just him (MAX)? I thought there would be some upper circle of Prog forum masters or something like that?

Don't let Dean and David throw you off.  That room does exist...and there are capes.  In fact, David walks around in **only** his cape....he's been talked to about it by HR but he still does it.  It sometimes takes days to get those images to flush from your brain. 

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 10:27
A 3 star rating to me is often an album that features elements I think are quality elements, but also features elements that prevent me from thinking of it as a top tier release (which in my book is 4 stars or above). I don´t necessarily have to enjoy listening to the release myself. Hell...I often give our 4 star ratings to albums I don´t particularly enjoy. I might be a bit pretentious, but I do pride myself of being able to spot what´s a quality release and what´s not. It´s all subjective of course...
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 10:28
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Don't let Dean and David throw you off.  That room does exist...and there are capes.  In fact, David walks around in **only** his cape....he's been talked to about it by HR but he still does it.  It sometimes takes days to get those images to flush from your brain. 

True. He also like to wear purple bras when he barbecues.
ShW1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 16:46

Er, thank you very much for assuming I do not have my own tastes

I apologize. And I didn't mean to say you don't have your own taste etc.
I just meant that sometimves it's nice to discover a good obscure band and recommand it to others.

Also I came to conclusion that there is a difference between giving a priority to albums that rated OVERALL above 4 stars, or priority to albums that have SOME nice 4 stars, but the overall rating is lower, let's say 3.4-4 rating. The second option is really OK, and very reasonable.

And finnaly, I appriciate anyone who buy music nowadays. I'm also buying, and also not that rich I can afford myself any disk in the world.

Edited by ShW1 - March 12 2014 at 16:56
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 17:14

I think 0 stars would be abused liberally so quite rightly was removed. DO NOT BRING IT BACK

Umm...the 1 star is now the equivalent though. Anything at the bottom (or the top) is subject to abuse.

Not that I want the 0 star rating to come back...but I'm glad my comment got some activity going.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 17:20
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I too have seen that. It's almost gotten to a point where no holiday feels complete without the above taking place.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 05:51
I agree with those upthread who've said that the actual words of a reviewer are more meaningful than the precise number of stars they give an album - not least because it's those words which give you some idea of whether the reviewer's tastes are compatible with yours.

That said, here's how I tend to apply stars on Rate Your Music:

5 - Superb, marvellous, this is the sort of gem we strive to find.

4.5 - I'm very impressed by the album and do genuinely like it, but at the same time I just can't quite bring myself to give it the fifth star - not because there's any glaring flaws to the album, but simply because it doesn't move me to the extent that a five star album would.

4 - A very good album which deserves people's attention.

3.5 - A good, solid album, anything scoring this or above is a "keeper" and anything scoring less won't necessarily stick around in my collection for long.

3 - A decent album which doesn't do anything for me personally, but I can see how other people might like it.

2.5 - There's clear flaws to the work but fans of this particular genre or band might still like it. May well still be worth checking out if there's a standout song or two that are head and shoulders above the others.

2 - We got problems. Doesn't preclude there being good songs on the album, but the good songs probably aren't very good and the less good material is off-putting.

1.5/1/0.5 - Stuff down here I basically can't stand. 1.5ish if the album is merely dull or uninteresting, lower if it's actively irritating.

Over here, where we don't have half-stars, I usually round the star ratings up simply because any prog-based album is slightly more likely to be enjoyed by this website's readers than it is by a general audience. The exception is 4.5 stars, which I round down to 4 to keep 5s special.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 13:56
Now that you mentioned RYM, that reminds me after I started rating here I wish that you could give half-stars on PA too. (and GoodReads for that matter)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 15:57
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

I agree with those upthread who've said that the actual words of a reviewer are more meaningful than the precise number of stars they give an album - not least because it's those words which give you some idea of whether the reviewer's tastes are compatible with yours.

4.5 - I'm very impressed by the album and do genuinely like it, but at the same time I just can't quite bring myself to give it the fifth star - not because there's any glaring flaws to the album, but simply because it doesn't move me to the extent that a five star album would.

3.5 - A good, solid album, anything scoring this or above is a "keeper" and anything scoring less won't necessarily stick around in my collection for long.

3 - A decent album which doesn't do anything for me personally, but I can see how other people might like it.

2.5 - There's clear flaws to the work but fans of this particular genre or band might still like it. May well still be worth checking out if there's a standout song or two that are head and shoulders above the others.

2 - We got problems. Doesn't preclude there being good songs on the album, but the good songs probably aren't very good and the less good material is off-putting.

1.5/1/0.5 - Stuff down here I basically can't stand. 1.5ish if the album is merely dull or uninteresting, lower if it's actively irritating.

Over here, where we don't have half-stars, I usually round the star ratings up simply because any prog-based album is slightly more likely to be enjoyed by this website's readers than it is by a general audience. The exception is 4.5 stars, which I round down to 4 to keep 5s special.

Totally agree with you Warthur
The problem I see with the current system is that it is unbalanced. 5, 4 and 3 stars are good ratings, 2 stars mediocre (or for fans only) and 1 star represent the segment between the bad and the horrible

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 00:55
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

1.5/<span style="line-height: 1.2;">1/0.5 - Stuff down here I basically can't stand. 1.5ish if the album is merely dull or uninteresting, lower if it's actively irritating.</span>
Totally agree with you Warthur<span id="result_" ="" lang="en"><span ="hps">The</span> <span ="hps">problem I see</span> <span ="hps">with the current system</span> <span ="hps">is that it is</span> <span ="hps">unbalanced</span></span>. 5, 4 and 3 stars are good ratings, 2 stars mediocre (or for fans only) and 1 star <span id="result_" ="" lang="en"><span ="hps">represent the</span> <span ="hps">segment between</span> <span ="hps">the bad and the</span> <span ="hps">horrible</span></span>

Hello Progmind, in regards to your post/comment above, I too agree that a great and most articulate review means more compared to the star rating, however here on PA I have noticed that a plus 0.5 rating is reduced to the smaller number, this in math's sense is not correct because anything rated with another half should be upgraded to the next number above meanwhile here if one rates an album i.e. 4.5 it will be downgraded and reduced to 4
Anyway hugs to you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>