Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStanding up for the 3 star rating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 12:25
I haven't written many reviews but I'm sure to keep this in mind because I am guilty of giving ratings that probably are over-the-top compared to the intended standards. This actually really woke me up because I now realize I can't give the same rating for my favorite album as some album I've barely listened to.

Time to change! (dramatically puts on Supper's Ready)
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 17:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

3 stars means a good album on here, yet there are a lot of people who rate stuff they don't like with 3 stars. Hell, I've even come across folks who get their panties in a twist because their music was awarded with 3 stars by a reviewer, who they themselves asked for a write-up. Insane....
If we can't be honest about the music we're supposed to be writing about, what can we? And as an artist one should brace oneself for critique - even, or especially, if it's coming from a friend.
To some 'good' basically equates a 5 star rating, whereas something they don't particularly like gets 3 (there are of course also those irritating buggers who rate everything they haven't heard but think they know to suck with 1 star. Oh yes and then there are all those inane folks who think PA is all about the big competition: Who gets the gold on the archives? Music is sports). What do they do, when they encounter something that positively sends them flying through the room without socks and thermal g-string? They've already run out of stars.
I don't think I've ever written a 3 star review without it being a recommendation. Sure, often I bring out the age ol 3.5 stars, but I never round up. 
This problem (yes I see this as a problem - not because I put to much stock into ratings, but because almost everyone else do, and I'm a part of the site - now even more so since I metamorphosed into deputy janitor) is now viewable to everyone who reads the frontpage. Now it seems as if the only artists featured in reviews, that stay on the <span style="color: white; font-weight: bold; : rgb65, 32, 113; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">POPULAR ARTISTS (TOP 50, LAST 24H) :</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"> , are those who receive either a 4 or 5 star write-up. So even the readers seem to have bought into the notion that 3 stars simply isn't worth the mustard. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">So I thought it was about time to </span>resurrect the honour, as well as the meaning, of the 3 star rating. <span style="line-height: 1.2;"> </span>

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

3 stars means a good album on here, yet there are a lot of people who rate stuff they don't like with 3 stars. Hell, I've even come across folks who get their panties in a twist because their music was awarded with 3 stars by a reviewer, who they themselves asked for a write-up. Insane....
If we can't be honest about the music we're supposed to be writing about, what can we? And as an artist one should brace oneself for critique - even, or especially, if it's coming from a friend.
To some 'good' basically equates a 5 star rating, whereas something they don't particularly like gets 3 (there are of course also those irritating buggers who rate everything they haven't heard but think they know to suck with 1 star. Oh yes and then there are all those inane folks who think PA is all about the big competition: Who gets the gold on the archives? Music is sports). What do they do, when they encounter something that positively sends them flying through the room without socks and thermal g-string? They've already run out of stars.
I don't think I've ever written a 3 star review without it being a recommendation. Sure, often I bring out the age ol 3.5 stars, but I never round up. 
This problem (yes I see this as a problem - not because I put to much stock into ratings, but because almost everyone else do, and I'm a part of the site - now even more so since I metamorphosed into deputy janitor) is now viewable to everyone who reads the frontpage. Now it seems as if the only artists featured in reviews, that stay on the <span style="color: white; font-weight: bold; : rgb65, 32, 113; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">POPULAR ARTISTS (TOP 50, LAST 24H) :</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"> , are those who receive either a 4 or 5 star write-up. So even the readers seem to have bought into the notion that 3 stars simply isn't worth the mustard. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">So I thought it was about time to </span>resurrect the honour, as well as the meaning, of the 3 star rating. <span style="line-height: 1.2;"> </span>

Hey Dave. I really appreciate your passion and insight with in this subject matter, but unfortunately most people (I am sorry to say) aren't very bright and when they immediately see something like a 3/5 they'll most likely think % more than anything else rather than seeing/understanding what each star truly means. It's all a matter if perception, so a glaring 3/5 which is roughly 60% is a pretty sh*tty rating in the grand scheme of things and I think that is what most people will think right off the bat. They won't see/understand "good, but not essential' really means. I feel ya all together my friend, and I know I'm far from a 'good reviewer', but I think I am In agreement with PA's rating system because you can still give an album 2/5 and still show some kind of possitive feedback. It doesn't have to be all bad. Again, the trouble is % and that is the problem, rather than the outline of what each star actually truly means here on PA.
I can understand some bands getting upset when they see a rating of 3/5 cause they think 'wtf 60/100? That sucks.' Sadly this problem will continue here. All in all though, 3/5 ain't bad.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 14:01
This is very simple to me: a 3-star rating indicates a good album, but not so good to the point of being considered excellent, which would be 4 stars. 5 stars is only for the perfect albums, the great masterpieces of music.

The AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE rating would be 2.5 because our maximum is 5. And then we come to that old problem of ProgArchives, which is not to have a .5 rating option. If we had the half stars, I think people wouldn't confuse 2.5 and 3 anymore by assuming a 3-star rating indicates a more or less album. I really think the broken ratings would make our site fairer.

Edited by claugroi - April 11 2014 at 14:03
Symphonic Prog Master
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

This is very simple to me: a 3-star rating indicates a good album, but not so good to the point of being considered excellent, which would be 4 stars. 5 stars is only for the perfect albums, the great masterpieces of music.

The AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE rating would be 2.5 because our maximum is 5. And then we come to that old problem of ProgArchives, which is not to have a .5 rating option. If we had the half stars, I think people wouldn't confuse 2.5 and 3 anymore by assuming a 3-star rating indicates a more or less album. I really think the broken ratings would make our site fairer.
2.5 is not the median, 3 is. There is no 0 rating, so 1+2+3+4+5=15; 15/5 =3
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 16:36
Thanks Dean.

......and

I mean, I perfectly remember that bit of algebra from my schooldays, but I really don't work like that

I tend to see things in shapes and patterns, so 12345 becomes 12 a huge 3 45, if we're looking for the median. Of course, when you say it like that - algebra and all, makes perfect sense.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 19:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I didn't say it IS, I said it WOULD BE if we had a .5 rating. There would be no zero, but there would be 0.5. 

5 - 0.5 = 4.5 / 2 = 2.25, which would probably be rounded to 2.5.

If we consider the current rating system, a 3 is indeed the middle (1, 2 - 3 - 4, 5), although it doesn't mean "average", but "good".
Symphonic Prog Master
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 19:54
^ we are not weighing bananas, in a meritocracy, especially the arts, average can never mean good and like it's snot nosed sibling mediocre, will always be deemed pejorative
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 20:12
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ we are not weighing bananas, in a meritocracy, especially the arts, average can never mean good and like it's snot nosed sibling mediocre, will always be deemed pejorative

3 stars: Good, but non-essential. In ProgArchives, a 3-stars rating does not mean average or mediocre, but good.

And about meanings of words, it doesn't matter if people don't understand what they really mean. What matters is simply that they mean what they mean. I think it's a kind of inferiority complex that leads people to think "mediocre" is actually "bad", when, in fact, it means "so so", "more or less", "not good and not bad", "of standard quality", "ordinary". What people need is a good dictionary and more self-esteem.
Symphonic Prog Master
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 21:03

3 stars: Good, but non-essential. In ProgArchives, a 3-stars rating does not mean average or mediocre, but good.

And about meanings of words, it doesn't matter if people don't understand what they really mean. What matters is simply that they mean what they mean. I think it's a kind of inferiority complex that leads people to think "mediocre" is actually "bad", when, in fact, it means "so so", "more or less", "not good and not bad", "of standard quality", "ordinary". What people need is a good dictionary and more self-esteem.

Yes, it's clearly of no consequence that we don't understand what words mean as I wouldn't dream of purchasing my bananas if they weren't at least up to 'of standard quality' Dunno about an 'ordinary' music album or vin ordinaire though....Embarrassed

From the online Oxford English Dictionary (must be one of the 'so so' ones I guess?)

Mediocre (adjective)
Of only average quality; not very good: he is an enthusiastic if mediocre painter

Definitions are dependent upon contexts, not immune to them, language does not exist 'stand alone' ya dig bro?
My self esteem counseling is already paying for itselfBig smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 03:43

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I didn't say it IS, I said it WOULD BE if we had a .5 rating. There would be no zero, but there would be 0.5.

You didn't say that at all, but if that's what you later meant then that's fine.

5 - 0.5 = 4.5 / 2 = 2.25, which would probably be rounded to 2.5.
Nope.
½11½ 2345

there is no median rating in a ½ step system, it falls between 2½ and 3, not 2 and 2½

To find the median you add the two extremes and divide by two, not subtract - ½+5 = 5½ / 2 = 2¾

In a normal distribution of ratings the average = the mean = the median = the mode

so, ½ + 1 + 1½ + 2 + 2½ + 3 + 3½ + 4 + 4½ + 5 = 27½; 27½/10 =

If we consider the current rating system, a 3 is indeed the middle (1, 2 - 3 - 4, 5), although it doesn't mean "average", but "good".
Our rating guidelines say that 3-stars is "Good, but non-essential"

If everything is good then good is average and average is good.

In a subjective system (which album rating is) to know whether "3" is good or average or mediocre what you need to know is the average rating of all the albums on this site. 

M@x uses this value to compute the QWR value for chart position so by solving a simple simultaneous equation for the ratings of two albums it is possible to find this average. 

I've done a quick back-calculation and the site average comes out at 4.165 , so a "3" is below that average rating.

For one of the albums I used to do this calculation (Vangough ~ Between the Madness):

Weighted average = 4.1111
QWR = 3.8914
Unweighted mean = 3.5833
Median = 3.5
Mode = 3

Which tells us that ratings on this site do not follow a normal (Poisson) distribution. But we can tell that from the little graph on the album page:
RatingNumber of votesPer centum 
5729.17%*****
4312.50%**
31145.83%*********
2312.50%**
100.00% 

All the "averages" say this is a 4-star album (3.89 and 3.58 would round up, 4.11 would round down), yet only 3 people out of 24 think that it is, more people (54%) think that it is 3-star or less album.

So... is Between the Madness a good album, an average album or a mediocre album?

Food for thought.

Edited by Dean - April 12 2014 at 03:47
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:38
I think you have just proven that Between The Madness is very much a median album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 07:24
I have always said that the five star system was mathematically flawed, but obviously didn't feel the need to laboriously explain that with such mathematical fervour!
However, as a rule of thumb I suppose that it's as good a system as ones that allow for more precision (i.e the 0-100 percentage of the perfect recording where obviously 100 would not be allowed as I think that since, a better recording is always possible, the perfection cannot be given (ever)....) ho hum...
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 15:27

^ we are not weighing bananas, in a meritocracy, especially the arts, average can never mean good and like it's snot nosed sibling mediocre, will always be deemed pejorative 

Yes, it's clearly of no consequence that we don't understand what words mean as I wouldn't dream of purchasing my bananas if they weren't at least up to 'of standard quality' Dunno about an 'ordinary' music album or vin ordinairethough....Embarrassed

From the online Oxford English Dictionary (must be one of the 'so so' ones I guess?)

Mediocre (adjective) 
Of only average quality; not very good: he is an enthusiastic if mediocre painter 

Definitions are dependent upon contexts, not immune to them, language does not exist 'stand alone' ya dig bro?
My self esteem counseling is already paying for itselfBig smile

Mediocre:

Cambridge Dictionary: just acceptable but not good; not good enough.

Collins English Dictionary: average or ordinary in quality: a mediocre book.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary: not very good, ordinary, so-so.

Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary: of only ordinary or moderate quality; barely adequate.

Can you see that you actually agree with me on this ? People tend to think that there are only two options: good or bad. No, there is something in the middle which is not good and not bad at the same time. Of course that we generally look for good things, not medicore ones, and that's the reason why we prefer albums rated "good" or "excellent", not just "average". Nonetheless, I would recommend most of the albums I've rated "good" (3 stars) here on PA and even some albums that I've rated "average" (about 2.5 stars) in my personal reviews (not published here). Wouldn't you ?

What I meant when I approach the definitions is that people shouldn't assume the meaning of a word, like they assume when they think "mediocre" means "bad". They should look it up on the dictionary. And of course most of us wouldn't be happy being classified "mediocre". We always want to achieve "good", so, in our minds, everything that is not "good" is automatically classified as "bad", and that is not true.

Regarding meanings of words, the use of them in a context, the understanding dependent on the context etc., I'm actually very used to all that. In fact, I think I can say I'm tired of that. I don't want to boast or anything, but I'm only a musician on the weekends; from Monday to Friday, I'm a language teacher and linguist. Wink

I think you're trying hard to disagree with me, but your words show otherwise. Big smile

Symphonic Prog Master
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 15:29

Quote You didn't say that at all, but if that's what you later meant then that's fine.

I said exactly what I said. If you look at my original comment, you'll notice the future conditional "would be" was already there, I didn't edit it afterwards.

Quote there is no median rating in a ½ step system, it falls between 2½ and 3, not 2 and 2½

To find the median you add the two extremes and divide by two, not subtract - ½+5 = 5½ / 2 = 

In a normal distribution of ratings the average = the mean = the median = the mode

so, ½ + 1 + 1½ + 2 + 2½ + 3 + 3½ + 4 + 4½ + 5 = 27½; 27½/10 =

2¾ = 2.75, which should be rounded to 2.5 had we a .5 rating system. A 2.75 rating would only be rounded up if the rating system did not admit .5 values. As 2.75 is more than 2.5, it would become 3, and that's actually what happens now.

Quote Our rating guidelines say that 3-stars is "Good, but non-essential"

Exactly. Why are discussing about that ? It's written there and there's nothing we can do to change that. When I rate an album 3 stars on PA, I always bear in mind that 3 stars here mean "good", not "average" (note that I'm using "average" as a synonym for "mediocre", not "median". This is about English language, not mathematics).

Quote If everything is good then good is average and average is good.

In a subjective system (which album rating is) to know whether "3" is good or average or mediocre what you need to know is the average rating of all the albums on this site. 

M@x uses this value to compute the QWR value for chart position so by solving a simple simultaneous equation for the ratings of two albums it is possible to find this average. 

I've done a quick back-calculation and the site average comes out at 4.165 , so a "3" is below that average rating.

For one of the albums I used to do this calculation (Vangough ~ Between the Madness):

Weighted average = 4.1111

QWR = 3.8914

Unweighted mean = 3.5833

Median = 3.5

Mode = 3

Which tells us that ratings on this site do not follow a normal (Poisson) distribution. But we can tell that from the little graph on the album page:

Rating

Number of votes

Per centum

29.17%

12.50%

45.83%

12.50%

0.00%

All the "averages" say this is a 4-star album (3.89 and 3.58 would round up, 4.11 would round down), yet only 3 people out of 24 think that it is, more people (54%) think that it is 3-star or less album.

So... is Between the Madness a good album, an average album or a mediocre album?

Food for thought.

In think you're not getting the idea of "average" I exposed. We don't need to explain this in mathematical terms whatsoever, but, if you insist... Follow my thought: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 are the rating options on PA. We have 5 numbers there, right ? Which one is in the middle ? 3. According to the dictionary, a median is "(Arithmetic, Statistics) the middle number in a given sequence of numbers, taken as the average of the two middle numbers when the sequence has an even number of numbers: 4 is the median of 1, 3, 4, 8, 9". Therefore, in this sequence of rating options, 3 is the median. The problem arrises because here, a 3-star rating does not mean the album is "average" or "mediocre", but "good, but not essential". I think there's nothing complicated about that...

I don't know Between the Madness, but, judging from the ratings, I conclude it is a very good or, at least, a good album to listen to, not an average one. Currently, we have 24 ratings for it. Nobody thinks it deserves 1 star; 13% rated 2 stars; 43% rated 3 stars; 13% rated 4 stars and 30% rated 5 stars. The percentage of people who rated it 4 and 5 stars (excellent or masterpiece) is exactly the same of those who rated it 3 stars (good). When you say "All the 'averages' say this is a 4-star album (3.89 and 3.58 would round up, 4.11 would round down), yet only 3 people out of 24 think that it is, more people (54%) think that it is 3-star or less album", you forget that, although only 3 people actually rated it 4 stars, 7 people rated it higher (5 stars) and 11 rated it lower (3 stars). It is basically the average (mathematically speaking) between the 3 stars ratings and the 5 stars ratings what makes the final rating result in 4. We would also have to consider the rating weight, which is different for pro-reviewers (admins, special collaborators et caterva), common members and non-members. If more experienced reviewers rated Between the Madness 4 or 5 stars, it doesn't matter if the majority of common members rated it 3 ou 2 stars because the ratings of the latter don't count as much. The "only 3 people out of 24" might be Prog Reviewers, just as much as the 7 out of 24 who rated it 5 stars...

But really, we don't even have to worry about these things. The system does this for us, so why bother with calculations ? All we have to do is judge wisely when reviewing an album. A .5 rating option would help us improve our "sense of justice", if you ask me... I'm in favour of it. Smile

Symphonic Prog Master
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 17:51

Regarding meanings of words, the use of them in a context, the understanding dependent on the context etc., I'm actually very used to all that. In fact, I think I can say I'm tired of that. I don't want to boast or anything, but I'm only a musician on the weekends; from Monday to Friday, I'm a language teacher and linguist. Wink

I think you're trying hard to disagree with me, but your words show otherwise. Big smile

I think you're a very trying cunning linguistWink

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 19:13

I said exactly what I said. If you look at my original comment, you'll notice the future conditional "would be" was already there, I didn't edit it afterwards.

Erm... in the context you used it "would be" is not a future conditional since you used the subordinating conjunction "because"  linking to a dependant clause rather than a conditional conjunction such as "if" linking to a conditional clause.

So in your sentence: "The AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE rating would be 2.5 because our maximum is 5". The independent clause "the average... would be 2.5" is followed by the conjunction "because" which gives the dependent clause "our maximum is 5". "Would be" in this instance is past/present not future

You did not say "if we had a .5 rating." until a later and as a separate sentence.

But as I said, if that is what you later meant then that's fine.

2¾ = 2.75, which should be rounded to 2.5 had we a .5 rating system. A 2.75 rating would only be rounded up if the rating system did not admit .5 values. As 2.75 is more than 2.5, it would become 3, and that's actually what happens now.

You are getting yourself confused. You made an error in your calculation and computed the median value as 2¼, I merely pointed out that it should have been 2¾. Rounding and ½-steps have nothing to do with it. 

Quote Our rating guidelines say that 3-stars is "Good, but non-essential"

Exactly. Why are discussing about that ? It's written there and there's nothing we can do to change that. When I rate an album 3 stars on PA, I always bear in mind that 3 stars here mean "good", not "average" (note that I'm using "average" as a synonym for "mediocre", not "median". This is about English language, not mathematics).

Hey, you started it with the "The AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE rating would be 2.5 " comment. I'm just playing with numbers because I like maths.

Quote If everything is good then good is average and average is good.

::snip:: 

Food for thought.

In think you're not getting the idea of "average" I exposed.

I'm sure I did, but please, continue...

We don't need to explain this in mathematical terms whatsoever, but, if you insist... Follow my thought: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 are the rating options on PA. We have 5 numbers there, right ? Which one is in the middle ? 3. According to the dictionary, a median is "(Arithmetic, Statistics) the middle number in a given sequence of numbers, taken as the average of the two middle numbers when the sequence has an even number of numbers: 4 is the median of 1, 3, 4, 8, 9". Therefore, in this sequence of rating options, 3 is the median. The problem arrises because here, a 3-star rating does not mean the album is "average" or "mediocre", but "good, but not essential". I think there's nothing complicated about that...

...and there is nothing complicated about that. Except for the psychological effect of having a middle number in any rating system that has a odd number of numbers. Even if we dispensed with numbers and used letters instead, the middle value will always be seen to represent the average value between excellent and abysmal or good and bad. No matter how often we stress that "3=good" we cannot over-come that psychological barrier that "middle=middling". Is anyone really confused by Starbucks' Tall, Grande and Venti

I don't know Between the Madness, but, judging from the ratings, I conclude it is a very good or, at least, a good album to listen to, not an average one. Currently, we have 24 ratings for it. Nobody thinks it deserves 1 star; 13% rated 2 stars; 43% rated 3 stars; 13% rated 4 stars and 30% rated 5 stars. The percentage of people who rated it 4 and 5 stars (excellent or masterpiece) is exactly the same of those who rated it 3 stars (good). When you say "All the 'averages' say this is a 4-star album (3.89 and 3.58 would round up, 4.11 would round down), yet only 3 people out of 24 think that it is, more people (54%) think that it is 3-star or less album", you forget that, although only 3 people actually rated it 4 stars, 7 people rated it higher (5 stars) and 11 rated it lower (3 stars). It is basically the average (mathematically speaking) between the 3 stars ratings and the 5 stars ratings what makes the final rating result in 4. We would also have to consider the rating weight, which is different for pro-reviewers (admins, special collaborators et caterva), common members and non-members. If more experienced reviewers rated Between the Madness 4 or 5 stars, it doesn't matter if the majority of common members rated it 3 ou 2 stars because the ratings of the latter don't count as much. The "only 3 people out of 24" might be Prog Reviewers, just as much as the 7 out of 24 who rated it 5 stars...

I presume you typed all that out to demonstrate to me that you understood what I wrote.

And btw. I forgot nothing.

And I purposely gave the unweighted average so we didn't have to consider the rating weight. Remember, the QWR (and subsequently the chart position) does not use the collaborator weighting.

But really, we don't even have to worry about these things. The system does this for us, so why bother with calculations ? All we have to do is judge wisely when reviewing an album. A .5 rating option would help us improve our "sense of justice", if you ask me... I'm in favour of it. Smile

Good for you. I don't have an opinion on ½-step ratings, to me they are the same as having a whole number 10-star rating system. If we used a 10-star system people would still ask for ½-steps on that and so on, so where do you stop? Is a 3½-star album really better than a 3¼-star album?

As someone has already asked - what is the difference between a ½-star album and a 1-star album? I would further ask if a 1-star album is twice as good as a ½-star album and half as good as a 2-star album? Is the difference between a ½-star album and a 1-star album the same as the difference between a 3½-star album and a 4-star album? 

However... to be frank, I don't care for averages and computed scores. Music is not a competitive sport, it's an art-form - no one goes around the Louvre, the Tate or the Guggenheim rating paintings out of 10. 
What?
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 23:01

Quote Erm... in the context you used it "would be" is not a future conditional since you used the subordinating conjunction "because"  linking to a dependant clause rather than a conditional conjunction such as "if" linking to a conditional clause.

So in your sentence: "The AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE rating would be 2.5 because our maximum is 5". The independent clause "the average... would be 2.5" is followed by the conjunction "because" which gives the dependent clause "our maximum is 5". "Would be" in this instance is past/present not future

You did not say "if we had a .5 rating." until a later and as a separate sentence.

But as I said, if that is what you later meant then that's fine.

How nice of you to try and teach me grammar. I really appreciate that, but, as a language teacher who teaches that virtually every month, I feel I have to disagree with you. I'm assuming your wrong understanding of my comment is due to your partial analysis. The whole period was "The AVERAGE or MEDIOCRE rating would be 2.5 because our maximum is 5. And then we come to that old problem of ProgArchives, which is not to have a .5 rating option. If we had the half stars, I think people wouldn't confuse 2.5 and 3 anymore by assuming a 3-star rating indicates a more or less album. I really think the broken ratings would make our site fairer". Had you considered the rest of the period, in which I talk about the broken rating issue, you probably wouldn't have said that my "would be" is not a conditional. Actually, all you needed to do was to think that we simply don't have a 2.5 rating, so how could I say anything about it in the Past or Present tense ??? If I talk about something which does not exist now, I obviously refer to a possibility that it might in the future, and the conditional is the exact verb tense we use for that (specifically, the Future Conditional). I said the average WOULD BE 2.5 because it obviously isn't (now, in the present) and our maximum IS 5 because it actually IS (it won't be, is IS already). Therefore, when I say "the average or mediocre rating WOULD BE 2.5", I am drawing a future conclusion based on a present fact, which is "our maximum (rating) is 5", just like if I had said "the world would be better because our will to change it is huge" (of course I would need an appropriate context to insert that sentence without making it seem odd).

We don't necessariy have to employ a conditional conjunction in a sentence to make "would" a conditional verb. If other words in the sentence or in the whole period express a conditional idea, then the "would" automatically turns into a conditional verb. The use of "would" in the past is very different, such as in "when I was young, I would wake up early every morning to go to school".

Quote You are getting yourself confused. You made an error in your calculation and computed the median value as 2¼, I merely pointed out that it should have been 2¾. Rounding and ½-steps have nothing to do with it.

Yes, that's right, I originally commited a mistake (as you can probably tell, mathematics is not my area). Funny enough, my original statement that 2.5 would be the average still stands. Just like I said, if we had a .5 rating system, then the 2.75 (2¾) would probably go to 2.5, not 3.

Quote Good for you. I don't have an opinion on ½-step ratings, to me they are the same as having a whole number 10-star rating system. If we used a 10-star system people would still ask for ½-steps on that and so on, so where do you stop? Is a 3½-star album really better than a 3¼-star album?

As someone has already asked - what is the difference between a ½-star album and a 1-star album? I would further ask if a 1-star album is twice as good as a ½-star album and half as good as a 2-star album? Is the difference between a ½-star album and a 1-star album the same as the difference between a 3½-star album and a 4-star album? 

However... to be frank, I don't care for averages and computed scores. Music is not a competitive sport, it's an art-form - no one goes around the Louvre, the Tate or the Guggenheim rating paintings out of 10. 

Take a look at the poll "progarchives 10 point rating system?" (in which, by the way, the overwhelming majority expresses the wish for a change in the rating system by adding the .5 option). A user commented "Is a 1.5 star album really a cut about a 1 star album? Just sayin'... (...) What I meant was, whether 1 or 1.5, you are trying to quantify abysmal. So I don't see much difference between the two. It would be a crappy album either way, and a .5 star doesn't change the equation much". The same answer I gave him I'm gonna give you now:

"I understand what you're saying, but I think a better example would be a 4.5 album. Would you rate it 4 ou 5 ? Either way would be unfair, don't you think ? If one thinks the album deserves 4.5, then one should be allowed to rate it that way, not be obliged to choose between a better rating or a worse one.

I personally think the .5 ratings would be more useful from 2.5 above. From 2.5 below, it wouldn't really make much difference, but could still come in handy sometimes."

He agreed with me in a later comment.

I agree that music is art, not mathematics or a sport. However, if you and I didn't care about ratings, we simply wouldn't be (look, a Future Conditional !) here in PA. In fact, we wouldn't even be having this very conversation, which is in a thread about rating. Smile

Symphonic Prog Master
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 23:59
^ do you catalog your own faeces? Ermm
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 00:06
That is all very well argued claugroi but I still don't understand what is so difficult about using the 2-star rating to indicate that the album is average, as opposed to BAD.  Surely, the problem lies in the way the ratings are used rather than the rating system itself, if people give 3 stars to an album that is only average or 4 to an album that is good but not essential (according to them as stated in their reviews, by the way..not getting into what other people think the proper rating of those albums should be).  Yes, you can introduce a half point.  Or maybe you can even migrate to a 100 point scale.  I don't know that any of these things necessarily make the demarcation between bad/average/good/excellent/masterpiece albums any clearer.  When I used to visit Metal Archives, I noticed that a lot of people felt compelled to give an album 80/100 when, as per their own arguments, the proper rating should have been around 65-70 at best.  Because they wanted to avoid being flamed for giving it a very low rating.  So the problem is psychological and I don't know that it can be solved.  If you decide to review, you should stand up for your ratings.  You should not be influenced by peer pressure to give an album fewer or more marks than it deserves.  

Edited by rogerthat - April 13 2014 at 00:09
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 00:41
Stars are eyecatchers, so looking at a 3 stars rating and not having enormous budgets can make the difference in terms of purchases, but if I'm seriously interested in an album I'll likely read the reviews instead of just looking at the stars. That's why I think that "ratings only" should have a separate place in the site,
I like mathematics but numbers can't describe an experience, so when I write a review stars are the last thing I spend my neurons on.

My suggestion is "move the stars at the bottom of the reviews to make numbers less important than words.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>