Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtlantis (German)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atlantis (German)
    Posted: March 13 2014 at 04:49
The German band Atlantis is not in the archives yet, but I consider their first two albums to be prog-related at least; the first one might even be considered to be a prog album by some, especially since three of the musicians on  them (singer Inga Rumpf, keyboarder Jean-Jacques Kravetz and bass player Karl-Heinz Schott) also played in Frumpy (who are in the archives). Only guitar and bass are played by other musicians (Frank Diez on guitar and Curt Cress on drums on  the first album, Dieter Bornschlegel on guitar and Ringo Funk on drums on the second).

But their best album is the glorious "Live at Fabrik", though admittedly it has very little to do with prog. The band fires on all cylinders on it, and the final track "Leave it to the Devil" is so ecstatic it almost drives me to tears. Inga Rumpf's husky voice is wonderful, and she is one hell of a shouter.

Is anybody familiar with this band? Their first two albums can be found on YouTube (though the first one track by track only). I will give the links here:

First self-titled album:

Second album "It's Getting Better":

And here the first track of their "Live at Fabrik" album (unfortunately the only one on YouTube). Man, I just love Inga Rumpf live!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 06:25
This band has already been suggested twice for inclusion in Suggest New Bands and Artists.

They were evaluated by Eclectic, who thought Prog Related was the best place for them, but this is not an easy category to get into, with strict entry requirements (they need to be very well known, highly influential on others etc etc), and would need to be proposed (with a strong case made to present to admins) by a Special Collaborator.

Atlantis (Germany)

Both the previous threads are still open - perhaps you might want to post in the earlier one started by ozzy_tom to get them looked at again rather than starting a fresh thread here?

Edited by yam yam - March 13 2014 at 06:29
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 07:14
They are extremely well-known and highly influential in Germany! And a band that shares three members with a band that is already in the archives (Frumpy) and had other members in their line-uup who appear in other bands which are in the archives (Dieter Bornschlegel with Guru Guru, Curt Cress with Passport, Lucifer's Friend and on an album by John Wetton, Frank Diez with Ihre Kinder), Ringo Funk with Jeronimo) is in my opinion definitely prog-related.

Edited by BaldFriede - March 13 2014 at 08:04

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 15:29
Yes I have heard of Atlantis. This band had members, Alex Conti (guitar) and Adrian Askew (keyboards) from the band Lake. I am a big fan of Lake by the way, having all their albums except the last one. 
Tony C.

Post Reply Post Reply