Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:44
^Nobody has to be smart in order to understand what you mean

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:38
^^ Same self righteous drivel as that of  Prog 74's post i.e. people who don't share my aesthetic values don't know beauty - I mean c'mon, blow it out your ass and take a step back to listen to yourself.Disapprove

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 25 2014 at 09:39
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:38
^Always will be born people with good taste for appreciating a music beauty

Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:31
There are far too many younger people (like myself) at the prog concerts that I have been to, and likewise in real life that I have met who listen to the classic prog bands for me to think that the prog torch won't be passed down for many generations, probably 100 years from now. While bands like Yes and Genesis may not ever have mass popularity again, I think there will always be people listening to them, at least for as long as people can recognize beauty in music (we'll see how much longer that lasts!).
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:18
I agree with you Iain. We've had these sorts of discussions before, and prog, or any other sort of musical branching, need no intelligent fanbase to grasp the sonic impact. Hell, I've met some pretty dumb prog fans, just as I've met extremely intelligent Miley Cyrus fans. 
Pop music can be wonderful and just as deep, introspective, adventurous and intelligently performed as any prog rock master you care to name. It's just another form of expression is all. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:05
Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

I think we can agree that rock music's peak years were roughly between 1965 - 1975.  Artists were given the freedom in the studio to virtually do as they pleased and this was encouraged by the record companies.  Music fans bought these experimental and progressive records and radio stations played them around the clock.  Warner Brothers famously signed the Grateful Dead and allowed them to be themselves.  They wisely did not try to "reign" them in and turn them into something more mainstream.  The more original and creative you were the more likely you would be signed and promoted by the record companies.  By the late 70s that began to change.  The music business became a business first and foremost.  Like any business it's aim was to make money and the best way to make loads of money in the music business was to sign bands that had mass appeal.  The more appealing you were the more likely you would have a top 10 hit.  MTV furthered the situation by saying you couldn't merely sound appealing you had to look appealing too.  A hairy, aging band like Jethro Tull would never get a video played if you were judged solely on "looks".  Creativity was stifled.  Wanting to venture beyond the standard 3-4 minute pop song structure was strongly discouraged.  Prog became a joke to many.  A few great prog bands have boldly defied those trends, but in order to survive it needed to go underground where is still exists today.  It's doubtful prog will ever again attain the popularity it had in the early 70s.  It can be done, but the now struggling music business needs to reverse it's stance on creativity & experimentalism.  The Flower Kings should be on the Grammys instead of just Beyonce, Macklemore or Taylor Swift.  Am I truly believe that any of those artists had a more creative, more imaginative album than Desolation Rose?  Absolutely not.  We need to stop dumbing down everything and instead encourage people to want to think and to learn.  Truly good music, be it classical or prog or jazz, requires a certain degree of intelligence that many people find intimidating.  Being smart, being creative, being different are what I find to be truly appealing and the music business should as well. 

I do take on board your remarks about an industry that has to adapt to a rapidly changing world but the red part is elitist self serving bollocks of the worst kind. The truth you refer to is the one where your tastes and values are reflected in the marketplace as some sort of vindicated litmus test of a meritocracy. The money men who delivered the music of the Prog artists of the early 70's to fans were no different to the money men we have today i.e. businessmen will only invest in a phenomenon if they think they can get a worthwhile return on their investment. They recognised at that time that the youthful demographic was receptive to experimentation, risk taking and eclecticism and more importantly, were prepared to direct their increased spending power on same. Smart people study markets and target perceived needs accordingly. Things have certainly changed considerably in the interim and artists can now market, distribute and promote themselves via the internet. This is probably a good thing but given the inexhaustibly vast amount of music consumers are asked to make an informed decision about they naturally find this intimidating. Intelligence has nothing to do with responding positively to what you like. I know loads of smart, creative and fiercely independent people who care not a jot for classical, Prog or Jazz (on Planet Prog 74 there are just 3 types of music right? you have to be kidding, otherwise you should be hoisted by your own petard - how can being different be anything other than a prevailing minority demographic? yet you want the music business to expect viability will result in what is by definition a niche market?) The only way you can achieve a marketplace that mirrors your values is by interventionist and subsidized means, and yes that's the sort of Soviet era suppression of democracy that I like to think we both find repugnant.

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 25 2014 at 09:06
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:05

I think we can agree that rock music's peak years were roughly between 1965 - 1975.  Artists were given the freedom in the studio to virtually do as they pleased and this was encouraged by the record companies. 

I would think that this could/should be re-worded to something like ... the media became more aware of rock music, and it's money making potential, and began to take advantage of it. By the time that Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and The Who got 100 million dollar contracts, I think that folks in Wall Street went ... KACHINGGGGGGGG!!!!!! ... as to how easy and fast some money could be made!

The Grateful Dead got signed because at the time they sold more bootlegs than actual albums, as they were the number 1 bootleg group.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 07:47

Truly good music, be it classical or prog or jazz, requires a certain degree of intelligence that many people find intimidating.  Being smart, being creative, being different are what I find to be truly appealing and the music business should as well. 

Requires much more talent than smartness for making truly good music and/or being creative. I don't see it as a pre-requisite for an artist in order to have good taste in any kind of art. Just an example, Picasso was a very intelligent and smart painter, besides talented, of course, but because of his always "a step forward" vision that time he created a brand new style Cubism in his paintings - this style has a quite bad taste and i don't enjoy these paintings at all.

Edited by Rick Robson - March 25 2014 at 07:53

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 20:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^  Well, throughout the 70s, no prog rock band won the Grammy for Album of the Year. There are of course a host of genre-specific categories which I am not getting into but Album of the Year was won by Simon & Garfunkel, S Wonder, Carole King, Fleetwood Mac and Bee Gees.

The Grammies are American, so American acts usually win. Prog was mainly European, and since the American music press tends to be chauvinist, prog didn't get a lot of love in the press.

Edited by jude111 - March 24 2014 at 20:39
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 20:32
^^  Well, throughout the 70s, no prog rock band won the Grammy for Album of the Year. There are of course a host of genre-specific categories which I am not getting into but Album of the Year was won by Simon & Garfunkel, S Wonder, Carole King, Fleetwood Mac and Bee Gees.
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 10:02
I think we can agree that rock music's peak years were roughly between 1965 - 1975.  Artists were given the freedom in the studio to virtually do as they pleased and this was encouraged by the record companies.  Music fans bought these experimental and progressive records and radio stations played them around the clock.  Warner Brothers famously signed the Grateful Dead and allowed them to be themselves.  They wisely did not try to "reign" them in and turn them into something more mainstream.  The more original and creative you were the more likely you would be signed and promoted by the record companies.  By the late 70s that began to change.  The music business became a business first and foremost.  Like any business it's aim was to make money and the best way to make loads of money in the music business was to sign bands that had mass appeal.  The more appealing you were the more likely you would have a top 10 hit.  MTV furthered the situation by saying you couldn't merely sound appealing you had to look appealing too.  A hairy, aging band like Jethro Tull would never get a video played if you were judged solely on "looks".  Creativity was stifled.  Wanting to venture beyond the standard 3-4 minute pop song structure was strongly discouraged.  Prog became a joke to many.  A few great prog bands have boldly defied those trends, but in order to survive it needed to go underground where is still exists today.  It's doubtful prog will ever again attain the popularity it had in the early 70s.  It can be done, but the now struggling music business needs to reverse it's stance on creativity & experimentalism.  The Flower Kings should be on the Grammys instead of just Beyonce, Macklemore or Taylor Swift.  Am I truly believe that any of those artists had a more creative, more imaginative album than Desolation Rose?  Absolutely not.  We need to stop dumbing down everything and instead encourage people to want to think and to learn.  Truly good music, be it classical or prog or jazz, requires a certain degree of intelligence that many people find intimidating.  Being smart, being creative, being different are what I find to be truly appealing and the music business should as well. 
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 02:34
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hit a nerve, did I.   Well that's life on the streets, buddy.
No, you didn't hit a nerve, but to use another tired old idiom, you missed the boat. I don't even think you are at the right dock. Perhaps you should just stay in the tub with your rubber duck and blow fart bubbles..
Wow, I really did rustle your feathers.   Is that the best you got?   Fart jokes? 
You are completely incapable of replying in context. Your are incapable of paraphrasing or understanding the gist of a dialogue. I don't know if you use English as a second language, but you obviously can't read. So enjoy the rubber duck and fart bubbles, because I no longer take you seriously.

LOL 

Good one--  actually English is my third language.   Not bad for an illiterate, huh?

Back to topic please
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 21:46

No, you didn't hit a nerve, but to use another tired old idiom, you missed the boat. I don't even think you are at the right dock. Perhaps you should just stay in the tub with your rubber duck and blow fart bubbles..
Wow, I really did rustle your feathers.   Is that the best you got?   Fart jokes? 
You are completely incapable of replying in context. Your are incapable of paraphrasing or understanding the gist of a dialogue. I don't know if you use English as a second language, but you obviously can't read. So enjoy the rubber duck and fart bubbles, because I no longer take you seriously.

LOL 

Good one--  actually English is my third language.   Not bad for an illiterate, huh?

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 10:45
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Can anyone specify exactly when jazz went from popular music to art music, by the way? I don't have an active interest in the genre but I find it curious to see a music genre jump status that wholesale from "low culture" to "high culture". I'm guessing the 1950s or so.

I'm not sure I'm the best one at this, but I recommend seeing Tom Dowd's DVD about music and its history. It is fascinating, and it will shine a light on jazz and some experimental music in the late 40's and 50's that the movie companies almost killed accidentally, in favor of their stars.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 10:43
Originally posted by WeAreKin WeAreKin wrote:

I hold the feeling that I'm not sure that it's particularly important as long as the musical landscapes created and history generated have been absorbed and reinterpreted into something new. Just for example if Beethoven or Mozart were alive today they would be spotting their music in nearly everything out there from a western composition. 

... Tongue

I don't know. If we take a cue from the rock press, any Mozart or Beethoven today would be considered pretentious and overdone!  Embarrassed

This happens on many bands that are fairly "busy" and detailed about their work! Though it is 4 instruments and not 25!

I'm not sure that we have a good idea, or complete interpretation of what "music" really is, and we're not able to separate ourselves from our preferences, in order to interpret things properly and completely. And this is where I would like to see the definition of "progressive" be more detailed and defined. Right now, it has this and that, and all of those can be found in all music, not just progressive. I don't think that some folks are listening past their "notes" and "chords", into the other part of what really makes music tick! I don't think we know, past moments that trigger memories from our past, as Dean would say, which could be quite correct!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 08:10
When you consider that we are a mix of older people who got into prog when it was happening big in the 1970's, and fans from a younger generation, and music is no longer dependent on media forms that are subject to decay, and there are new bands out there making great new prog...

Well I think the answer is pretty obvious.  (rock) on the other hand.... LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 08:09

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:42
Short answer : With Bebop in the 40's

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:32
^ Great question, you might want to post it at JazzMusicArchives
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

In the case of "folk music" I would say that "regionalism" is more important, than anything else. Something that is big in NY will not necessarily translate to SF and vice versa.

The media thing, is all about numbers, but we fail to see that. So, NY, with its huge numbers can sell 100k albums in 1 or 2 days, and Variety and Billboard, will immediately say it's a number one seller, and the first thing you do is ... go check the damn thing out! It's almost we don't even bother to learn what the music is about ... and automatically accept it as "important" because NY  sold that many!

Hadn't thought of that, maybe folk music wasn't the best example to use... perhaps jazz is a better one then? It's really difficult to extrapolate how popular music will be received and listened to in the distant future because how much the reception of music listening has changed over the 20th century. First there was the advent of vinyl records, then several paradigm shifts in how the business operated.

Can anyone specify exactly when jazz went from popular music to art music, by the way? I don't have an active interest in the genre but I find it curious to see a music genre jump status that wholesale from "low culture" to "high culture". I'm guessing the 1950s or so.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>