FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe longevity of prog (and rock) music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 13:26
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Yeah, it seems like it's mostly the recording media issue that keeps popular music before that from having an audience. Of course, in the case of folk music it helps a lot that the fanbase has a more traditionalist approach to things rather than preferring things to evolve and stay relevant than is the norm.

In the case of "folk music" I would say that "regionalism" is more important, than anything else. Something that is big in NY will not necessarily translate to SF and vice versa.

The media thing, is all about numbers, but we fail to see that. So, NY, with its huge numbers can sell 100k albums in 1 or 2 days, and Variety and Billboard, will immediately say it's a number one seller, and the first thing you do is ... go check the damn thing out! It's almost we don't even bother to learn what the music is about ... and automatically accept it as "important" because NY  sold that many!

Longetivity will likely survive longer because of the media in these big cities, but that will never help a progressive band from Podunk, New Mexico, because you will never bother checking it out, since it didn't sell, which means it might not be good, anyway.

In the end, this is ALL, about US ... not anything else. I don't think, that we have the aesthetic knowhow and ability to understand this and figure it out a bit better. If we did, top ten would be dead in this web site and most "progressive" websites, because it is the very process that hurts us more than anything else!

Remember ... we don't have the "numbers", but we have the most important part of it ... the music! You decide what is more important!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 18:34
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

I'm an American and listen to Pink Floyd a whole helluva lot.  Big smile

I may be wrong, but my impression is that (white) Americans look back more. So many radio stations are 'oldies' stations and 'classic rock' stations. I don't know enough about UK radio stations, but it does seem to me that the UK and many other European countries are less interested in the past, and more interested in new-ish stuff, and even newer genres (e.g. electronica). I could be wrong; I wonder what others have to say about this.

I don't know about Europe but your on the money when it comes to American radio.Outside of top 40 ("music")ahem,you will not hear a lot of new good rock,prog ect.Radio is all corporate and pander to what's left of the major labels.So it is up to an individual to seek out music on his /her own.I know a lot of friends who still don't have hardly anything new in their music collection in the last 20 plus years.I am the one playing new stuff to try to turn them on to new artists.Maybe I am just a much bigger music lover?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 18:35
Originally posted by Jzrk Jzrk wrote:

Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

I'm an American and listen to Pink Floyd a whole helluva lot.  Big smile

I may be wrong, but my impression is that (white) Americans look back more. So many radio stations are 'oldies' stations and 'classic rock' stations. I don't know enough about UK radio stations, but it does seem to me that the UK and many other European countries are less interested in the past, and more interested in new-ish stuff, and even newer genres (e.g. electronica). I could be wrong; I wonder what others have to say about this.

I don't know about Europe but your on the money when it comes to American radio.Outside of top 40 ("music")ahem,you will not hear a lot of new good rock,prog ect.Radio is all corporate and pander to what's left of the major labels.So it is up to an individual to seek out music on his /her own.I know a lot of friends who still don't have hardly anything new in their music collection in the last 20 plus years.I am the one playing new stuff to try to turn them on to new artists.Maybe I am just a much bigger music lover?
It depends on the age group too.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 18:56

Edited by jude111 - March 22 2014 at 19:39
WeAreKin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 19:02
I hold the feeling that I'm not sure that it's particularly important as long as the musical landscapes created and history generated have been absorbed and reinterpreted into something new. Just for example if Beethoven or Mozart were alive today they would be spotting their music in nearly everything out there from a western composition.

All I hope for in particular is that something that moved me like the middle section of 'Ripples' by Genesis will move others still, or at least something is created that is influenced by it which moves someone and so on..

Be lovely though if Gentle Giant was heralded as the greatest band to emerge from the western civlisation in a thousand years time.. Tongue
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 19:51

Well, my feelings on the matter seem to get other people angry, but I'll just go ahead and state it, haha. A lot of the 'new'ish white/indie stuff coming out of the US is pretty musically conservative, and steeped in the past. It's not just oldies radio playing old music; it's also grunge bands recycling the riffs of (largely British) 70s rock bands. Even the riff for  "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" sped up. I remember in the early 1990s when the classic rock stations in Baltimore began to incorporate grunge bands in between tracks by AC/DC, Sabbath, Led Zep, and Lynyrd Skynyrd - it was a seamless transition.

The 'hippest' American band in the past year, according to 'hip' American indie webzines, is Vampire Weekend, whose biggest inspiration as far as I can tell is Simon & Garfunkel. Meanwhile, you've got Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver, who, like country indies bands such as Wilco and Neutral Milk Hotel and before them, are strumming guitars in full beards and playing campfire songs and channeling John Denver. The previous hippest American band, Animal Collective, was channeling Beach Boys and Grateful Dead.

And maybe this is all good, and people like that continuity and music steeped in tradition. I kind of like though how a lot of UK music isn't afraid to reject the past altogether and to forge new genres.

My theory's actually related to linguistics. There is much greater linguistic variety - and much quicker dynamic change - in the "mother" country than in former colonies. You can go from one neighborhood to another in the UK and find greater linguistic varieties than you'd find in the entire continental US. Additionally, the English language is more dynamic and admits greater varieties of slang and changes in the UK than in the US.

If music is a form of language - and a recent report came out saying that the same part of the brain is used for both - then perhaps there is a link... And it might explain why  American music (particularly white American music) tends to be more traditional and conservative, slower to change, slower to embrace changes, and less musically diverse.

Now, all this collapses when we look at black culture in the US. I remember in my linguistics courses, this was just as true of language in American American communities.... I'll leave it there for now... :-)
Vampire Weekend was the most popular, but by definition that differs from "hippest." Wink

It really depends on the artist. You're speaking of pop/rock releases. As far as UK releases, you might be glossing over a bit. Savages' Silence Yourself, one of the hottest UK releases, was perhaps on of the most retrospective albums of 2013. It sounded right out of the 80s. Of course, there's the whole electronic scene, but when talking of the pop/rock tradition, I'd be hard pressed to find something that wasn't building on the pop/rock tradition. Tongue 

America has also been a hotbed for experimental rock artists. Bands like Swans and Kayo Dot couldn't really be considered in the same camp as Vampire Weekend. Sure, if you were nitpicky, you could find ways in which they were influenced by older artists, but even UK electronic artists (Boards of Canada, anyone?) happen to be influenced heavily by older styles. 

With linguistics, nobody consciously sets out to create more dialects. I don't think unwillingness to change habits is involved in the seeming lack dialects in America. Rather, most dialects are fostered by habits that people refuse to change their own habits based on the generally agreed upon aspects of the English language. 

To make a parallel, most new and "forward-looking" styles are logical progressions from older ones. Kid A, for instance, while initially shocking, was not an illogical progression from OK Computer, and, indeed, rock music in the 90s. The Notwist, for instance, had mixed rock, electronic, free-jazz, and krautrock two years earlier. Even take a look at Radiohead's "office charts" (the music they're listening to posted on the band's website). You'll find Can, traditional pop, modern classical pieces, most of which date before Radiohead's inception. 

It's really not about being retrospective, but the thing at which you are looking at. If you look back at only rock, you'll only be taking inspiration from rock music. Most "innovation," if such a thing exists, happens when bands take influence from the styles that other rock bands aren't really looking at. Folk musics etc. Even then, the most important thing is really just to create an accurate expression of one's self. That's all Kid A was, all Shrink was, all any "retrospective" or "prospective" albums of any value are. 

EDIT: Whoops! I didn't realize you deleted your post. I can delete this one if you wish.

Edited by Polymorphia - March 22 2014 at 19:53
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 20:25
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

EDIT: Whoops! I didn't realize you deleted your post. I can delete this one if you wish.

I like what you wrote; I just regretted what I wrote. You're right, I did gloss over a lot. The late 80s in the US was a really innovative period, when you think of bands like Sonic Youth, Pixies, etc. And in the 2000s, there was LCD Soundsystem & the DFA label, etc.

Edited by jude111 - March 22 2014 at 20:41
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 20:50
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Hit a nerve, did I.   Well that's life on the streets, buddy.
No, you didn't hit a nerve, but to use another tired old idiom, you missed the boat. I don't even think you are at the right dock. Perhaps you should just stay in the tub with your rubber duck and blow fart bubbles..

Wow, I really did rustle your feathers.   Is that the best you got?   Fart jokes? 

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

In the case of "folk music" I would say that "regionalism" is more important, than anything else. Something that is big in NY will not necessarily translate to SF and vice versa.

The media thing, is all about numbers, but we fail to see that. So, NY, with its huge numbers can sell 100k albums in 1 or 2 days, and Variety and Billboard, will immediately say it's a number one seller, and the first thing you do is ... go check the damn thing out! It's almost we don't even bother to learn what the music is about ... and automatically accept it as "important" because NY  sold that many!

Hadn't thought of that, maybe folk music wasn't the best example to use... perhaps jazz is a better one then? It's really difficult to extrapolate how popular music will be received and listened to in the distant future because how much the reception of music listening has changed over the 20th century. First there was the advent of vinyl records, then several paradigm shifts in how the business operated.

Can anyone specify exactly when jazz went from popular music to art music, by the way? I don't have an active interest in the genre but I find it curious to see a music genre jump status that wholesale from "low culture" to "high culture". I'm guessing the 1950s or so.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:32
^ Great question, you might want to post it at JazzMusicArchives
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:42
Short answer : With Bebop in the 40's

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 08:09

No, you didn't hit a nerve, but to use another tired old idiom, you missed the boat. I don't even think you are at the right dock. Perhaps you should just stay in the tub with your rubber duck and blow fart bubbles..

Wow, I really did rustle your feathers.   Is that the best you got?   Fart jokes? 

You are completely incapable of replying in context. Your are incapable of paraphrasing or understanding the gist of a dialogue. I don't know if you use English as a second language, but you obviously can't read. So enjoy the rubber duck and fart bubbles, because I no longer take you seriously.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 08:10
When you consider that we are a mix of older people who got into prog when it was happening big in the 1970's, and fans from a younger generation, and music is no longer dependent on media forms that are subject to decay, and there are new bands out there making great new prog...

Well I think the answer is pretty obvious.  (rock) on the other hand.... LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 10:43
Originally posted by WeAreKin WeAreKin wrote:

I hold the feeling that I'm not sure that it's particularly important as long as the musical landscapes created and history generated have been absorbed and reinterpreted into something new. Just for example if Beethoven or Mozart were alive today they would be spotting their music in nearly everything out there from a western composition. 

... Tongue

I don't know. If we take a cue from the rock press, any Mozart or Beethoven today would be considered pretentious and overdone!  Embarrassed

This happens on many bands that are fairly "busy" and detailed about their work! Though it is 4 instruments and not 25!

I'm not sure that we have a good idea, or complete interpretation of what "music" really is, and we're not able to separate ourselves from our preferences, in order to interpret things properly and completely. And this is where I would like to see the definition of "progressive" be more detailed and defined. Right now, it has this and that, and all of those can be found in all music, not just progressive. I don't think that some folks are listening past their "notes" and "chords", into the other part of what really makes music tick! I don't think we know, past moments that trigger memories from our past, as Dean would say, which could be quite correct!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 10:45
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Can anyone specify exactly when jazz went from popular music to art music, by the way? I don't have an active interest in the genre but I find it curious to see a music genre jump status that wholesale from "low culture" to "high culture". I'm guessing the 1950s or so.

I'm not sure I'm the best one at this, but I recommend seeing Tom Dowd's DVD about music and its history. It is fascinating, and it will shine a light on jazz and some experimental music in the late 40's and 50's that the movie companies almost killed accidentally, in favor of their stars.
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 21:46

You are completely incapable of replying in context. Your are incapable of paraphrasing or understanding the gist of a dialogue. I don't know if you use English as a second language, but you obviously can't read. So enjoy the rubber duck and fart bubbles, because I no longer take you seriously.

LOL 

Good one--  actually English is my third language.   Not bad for an illiterate, huh?

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 02:34

LOL 

Good one--  actually English is my third language.   Not bad for an illiterate, huh?

Back to topic please
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 10:02
I think we can agree that rock music's peak years were roughly between 1965 - 1975.  Artists were given the freedom in the studio to virtually do as they pleased and this was encouraged by the record companies.  Music fans bought these experimental and progressive records and radio stations played them around the clock.  Warner Brothers famously signed the Grateful Dead and allowed them to be themselves.  They wisely did not try to "reign" them in and turn them into something more mainstream.  The more original and creative you were the more likely you would be signed and promoted by the record companies.  By the late 70s that began to change.  The music business became a business first and foremost.  Like any business it's aim was to make money and the best way to make loads of money in the music business was to sign bands that had mass appeal.  The more appealing you were the more likely you would have a top 10 hit.  MTV furthered the situation by saying you couldn't merely sound appealing you had to look appealing too.  A hairy, aging band like Jethro Tull would never get a video played if you were judged solely on "looks".  Creativity was stifled.  Wanting to venture beyond the standard 3-4 minute pop song structure was strongly discouraged.  Prog became a joke to many.  A few great prog bands have boldly defied those trends, but in order to survive it needed to go underground where is still exists today.  It's doubtful prog will ever again attain the popularity it had in the early 70s.  It can be done, but the now struggling music business needs to reverse it's stance on creativity & experimentalism.  The Flower Kings should be on the Grammys instead of just Beyonce, Macklemore or Taylor Swift.  Am I truly believe that any of those artists had a more creative, more imaginative album than Desolation Rose?  Absolutely not.  We need to stop dumbing down everything and instead encourage people to want to think and to learn.  Truly good music, be it classical or prog or jazz, requires a certain degree of intelligence that many people find intimidating.  Being smart, being creative, being different are what I find to be truly appealing and the music business should as well. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 20:32
^^  Well, throughout the 70s, no prog rock band won the Grammy for Album of the Year. There are of course a host of genre-specific categories which I am not getting into but Album of the Year was won by Simon & Garfunkel, S Wonder, Carole King, Fleetwood Mac and Bee Gees.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 20:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^  Well, throughout the 70s, no prog rock band won the Grammy for Album of the Year. There are of course a host of genre-specific categories which I am not getting into but Album of the Year was won by Simon & Garfunkel, S Wonder, Carole King, Fleetwood Mac and Bee Gees.

The Grammies are American, so American acts usually win. Prog was mainly European, and since the American music press tends to be chauvinist, prog didn't get a lot of love in the press.

Edited by jude111 - March 24 2014 at 20:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>