FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHey, Wait a Minute!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 05:50
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

The original Cryme is somewhat muddy, but that's OK. The remaster chaps my ass. There is some sort of inconsistency in the mix of some tracks, esp. "Hogweed". Some parts are too loud or too clean compared to the rest of the mix.
I'm fine with the Foxtrot remaster. There are some noticeable changes on "Supper's Ready", but that's fine with me.

Chaps your ass indeed! I appreciate your enthusiasm here. I think your right, but for some reason I really prefer the original, muddy mix of The Musical Box. I think that classic, hollowed out sound really works with that track. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 05:54
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I have always considered "remastered" releases to be an excuse by record companies, artists, or others merely to squeeze more money out of the poor old punter, and, as such, I rarely bother to get them, unless there is something wholly new that I absolutely must have.
By and large, the originals are the best way to taste the goods.

How do you feel about IQ's remaster of The Wake, 25th Ann. Box set??
I think there is a major difference in that album from the original recording and especially the other remix/remaster they did of Tales For The Lush Attic. Overall though. I believe some things needed a nice, digital touch up. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:13
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I have always considered "remastered" releases to be an excuse by record companies, artists, or others merely to squeeze more money out of the poor old punter, and, as such, I rarely bother to get them, unless there is something wholly new that I absolutely must have.

I tend to agree with you.

To buy any re-master there needs to be something other than the original album on offer. I bought a couple of Genesis re-masters because the package included DVD concert footage from the respective eras that I really wanted. I'm fairy indifferent to the nominal differences in the albums sound.

Depends weather you have the proper audio equipment to support these digital formats. If you spin a 24bit by 96k cd in just a regular CD player you will not notice much, but if you pump the music through a quality DAC or Digital Receiver it's a night and day difference. Probably stating the obvious here, but its really worth it spending the extra $$ on high end audio equipment. You definitely get more out of your albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:16
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

ThisClap 

You can't say this definitively. Some yes and some no for audio remastering.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:18
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The only changes I've noticed on the recent Genesis box set remasters were things I hadn't noticed before such as tambourine in Cinema Show and a change in the sound of the "they're changing everything" part of Supper's Ready.

Which version are you referring to? The studio recording or the live versions like seconds out?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:30
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

The only changes I've noticed on the recent Genesis box set remasters were things I hadn't noticed before such as tambourine in Cinema Show and a change in the sound of the "they're changing everything" part of Supper's Ready.

Which version are you referring to? The studio recording or the live versions like seconds out?

I was referring to the green 1970-1975 box set compared to the original CDs and vinyl.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 09:23

I was referring to the green 1970-1975 box set compared to the original CDs and vinyl.

Yeah that's a pretty cool set. A bit overpriced though. Anyway, I find there are quite a few differences in all the recordings. Mainly though, the sound isn't hollowed out like tin can sounding. A worthy buy and necessary.

Also. Noticed the 'playlist' in your sig. SoundGarden are touring with Nine Inch Nails this summer all through North America. Maybe, depending where ya live, you can catch them. :)
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 15:59
About the remastered boxes, does anyone know the true reason why the blue box (1976 - 1982) was taken out of shops ? It's as rare as a diamond nowadays (and costs almost 1000 dollars). I've heard a rumor about copyright issues with some TV footage. Would it be true ? Also, the green box (1970 - 1975) became very expensive recently. Is there a copyright problem there as well ?? I feel glad for having bought the green box when it was 80 dollars and the brown one when it was 50, but it's really a pity that I'll never buy the blue. Cry
Symphonic Prog Master
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 11:02
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

About the remastered boxes, does anyone know the true reason why the blue box (1976 - 1982) was taken out of shops ? It's as rare as a diamond nowadays (and costs almost 1000 dollars). I've heard a rumor about copyright issues with some TV footage. Would it be true ? Also, the green box (1970 - 1975) became very expensive recently. Is there a copyright problem there as well ?? I feel glad for having bought the green box when it was 80 dollars and the brown one when it was 50, but it's really a pity that I'll never buy the blue. Cry

That is very strange how those sets got artificially jacked-up pice wise.
Personally, I only have the Genesis live set (1973-2007) cause I bought some of the albums that I wanted a 5.1 mix of individually, so I guess I avoided a big headache.
Have you checked all countries pricing for these items or just here you live(Brasíl)
??
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 12:02

Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

That is very strange how those sets got artificially jacked-up pice wise.
Personally, I only have the Genesis live set (1973-2007) cause I bought some of the albums that I wanted a 5.1 mix of individually, so I guess I avoided a big headache.
Have you checked all countries pricing for these items or just here you live(Brasíl)
??

My country doesn't even have this kind of product. If it had, the price would be multiplied by 5 or 10 and the excuse would be "well, you know, it's imported...". Anyway, I check both the UK and the US. See for yourself:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genesis-1976-1982-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B000MTOQKE
http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-1976-1982/dp/B000P46P82
Symphonic Prog Master
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:18
No ideas about why the green and (mainly) the blue Genesis boxes are so rare and expensive now ??
Symphonic Prog Master
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 03:22

Indeed...
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 04:32

ThisClap 

I can say this definitively and I will. In fact I am going to stick a big fatApprove here too. Well done meClap
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 06:13

ThisClap 

I can say this definitively and I will. In fact I am going to stick a big fatApprove here too. Well done meClap

As a listener who appreciates audio quality, I have to disagree. No way I would listen to my favourite bands only on those old LPs (or even the original CDs, from 1988 or something like that). I have to agree, though, that some remasters are pure crap. Companies have to find a way to make money in a capitalist world, don't they ? I guess it's up to us to analyse the remaster and conclude if it is worth buying or not. I don't think we can say all of them are this or that...
Symphonic Prog Master
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 06:18
^ I second that.  LP's used to be state of the art, but they really aren't any more for me.  And the early CD's were put out were from the original LP masters and were not adapted for CD.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^ I second that.  LP's used to be state of the art, but they really aren't any more for me.  And the early CD's were put out were from the original LP masters and were not adapted for CD.

I actually prefer older CDs to the remastered, re-engineered ones for the most part.  My CTTE CD seems like it was cut from original tapes or a master vinyl disc, so it has background hiss etc.  Just like Eddie Offord would have heard it.  

The remastered TFTO includes all sorts of ambient music in the beginning of "Revealing Science of God" which I find annoying.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 23:23
Once again...in some cases ''yes' and others 'no.'
Some albums need major restoration. I think my latest example and experience of quality album overhauling(remastering) would be IQ's Tales Of The Lush Attic. Listen to the 2013 remastering and remixing of that album as apposed to the 1983 pressing. The 83' pressing is marred by absolutely sh*t audio engineering and production.
I feel this is a good example of an album that needed a digital facelift.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 00:58
^That is an interesting one. I'm not convinced that its much better if I'm totally honest. The first 2 IQ albums were shrouded in murkiness and atmosphere like something evil emerging from the slime. I reckon that might be part of their appeal. IQ were well aware of the restrictions of their recording studios at the time but made the best of it. Later on they fixed this by creating their own record label and building a state of the art recording studio. Remixes can end up sounding hollow like you are stretching the sound beyond its elasticity. I get this sometimes from the Genesis remasters which are often hailed as being the best.

That all said I am still a sucker for a remaster and will be getting my 10th or so remaster of BSS shortly. Embarrassed
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 05:48
My personal definition of prog is when everyone else says: that sounds crap.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 08:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The remastered TFTO includes all sorts of ambient music in the beginning of "Revealing Science of God" which I find annoying.  

You mean the guitar intro that was cut from the original vinyl release and restored again for the remaster?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>