Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Marvin Gaye's What's Going On & P-Funk... prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarvin Gaye's What's Going On & P-Funk... prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marvin Gaye's What's Going On & P-Funk... prog?
    Posted: March 26 2014 at 09:17

Was listening to What's Going On the other day. This is as much a prog album as Dark Side of the Moon is: a concept album, a song cycle in which each song blends into the next one, culminating with a reprise from the opening track.

Then there's P-Funk, which was often as synth-heavy and guitar-based as any rock band - pretty much taking the funk of James Brown, and proggy-ing it up.

There are others as well. Sly & the Family Stone's "There's a Riot Goin' On," albums by Curtis Mayfield and Isaac Hayes.

You could probably fool people into believing that "Summer Madness" by Kool & the Gang is an out-take from "Wish You Were Here" (it actually predates it by a year), or that the instrumental "Cebu" by the Commodores is a Floyd track.

I don't expect them to be added, or for there to be a new genre added (prog funk? prog soul?), but it's interesting to think of these albums in terms of their relationship to prog. In fact, George Clinton (leader of P-Funk) has talked about the big influence Floyd had on his band.

Cheers.

Edited by jude111 - March 26 2014 at 09:30
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 11:00
Stunning album indeed, from a fantastic artist, but as you say - not much likelihood of Marvin or any of the other artists you talk about here being added. Perhaps this would have been more appropriately posted in the General Music Discussions forum?

Here's the album for anyone not familiar with it:

Cool
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 12:19
1) Not all concept albums are prog
2) "P-Funk" is two different bands
3) I like Marvin, Clinton and Stone but don't think any of them belong here (I also like early Kool & The Gang which is more 'proggy' than all three but again don't think they belong here)
Magma America Great Make Again
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 13:39
This is not prog rock. This is in my top 20 albums of all time. A masterpiece which transcends classification. From what I have read, the recording industry was not too keen on it and Gaye had to push for it to be recorded. A perfectly timed musical statement.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 01:32
Originally posted by jude111

Was listening to What's Going On the other day. This is as much a prog album as Dark Side of the Moon is: a concept album, a song cycle in which each song blends into the next one, culminating with a reprise from the opening track.

Then there's P-Funk, which was often as synth-heavy and guitar-based as any rock band - pretty much taking the funk of James Brown, and proggy-ing it up.

There are others as well. Sly & the Family Stone's "There's a Riot Goin' On," albums by Curtis Mayfield and Isaac Hayes.

(...)

What's Going On is an american prog album without a question. However, the management could not put What's Going On in database due to lack of a section e.g. 'prog albums by non-prog bands'. Imo, PA have to have that kind of section (same as here is V/A abums section aswell) due to the albums that you mentioned, but also due to the other american prog masterpieces like Children of The Future and Sailor by Steve Miller Band, Pet Sounds and also Smile by Beach Boys, Blues For Allah and Terrapin Station by The Dead, Ratcity in Blue by Good Rats, also some albums by the great american poet Tom Waits, and so on.

As I love to decorate my posts with vids, here's a few, just as a decor aswell. 

from Sailor, 1968

from SMiLE, recorded during Pet Sounds recording sessions, 1967

from Ratcity In Blue, 1976

title track from Terrapin Station, 1977.

Of course, there always will be some people who will say "this is not prog", but they were talking the same about Steely Dan at the time.

edit: Regarding that progressive funk and (or)  "Progressive Motown"  - a nice name for the sub-genre, isn't? - those three albums are my all time favourities..

Saying that some of  the late 60s /early 70s funk and (or) soul albums can not be called progressive is actually bullsh*t, because it is in accordance with a rascist opinion that the Afro American music can not be progressive and authentic at the same time, and vica versa i.e. it is the only jazz in the mix with whites' psychedelia can be termed prog(ressive) (i.e. jazz-rock as an accepted sub-genre of prog).

Edited by Svetonio - March 27 2014 at 06:55
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 03:03
Well it ain't prog, but it was progressive for it's day.
Speaking as a huge fan here, I'd like to think of it as progressive soul music, just like The Temptations did with the track 'Zoom' off the album 1990. Most other places these acts are described as psychedelic soul/funk, which I largely agree with. Calling them prog is rather like saying Django Reinhardt is prog, They were progressive for their day, yes, but have nothing to do with prog.....unless we've started making up our own music history.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 06:52
Who stops us from that ^    Beelzeboob
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 07:14
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

What's Going On is an american prog album without a question. However, the management could not put What's Going On in database due to lack of a section e.g. 'prog albums by non-prog bands'. Imo, PA have to have that kind of section (same as here is V/A abums section aswell) due to the albums that you mentioned, but also due to the other american prog masterpieces like Children of The Future and Sailor by Steve Miller Band, Pet Sounds and also Smile by Beach Boys, Blues For Allah and Terrapin Station by The Dead, Ratcity in Blue by Good Rats, also some albums by the great american poet Tom Waits, and so on.
[...]
edit: Regarding that progressive funk and (or)  "Progressive Motown"  - a nice name for the sub-genre, isn't? - those three albums are my all time favourities..

Saying that some of  the late 60s /early 70s funk and (or) soul albums can not be called progressive is actually bullsh*t, because it is in accordance with a rascist opinion that the Afro American music can not be progressive and authentic at the same time, and vica versa i.e. it is the only jazz in the mix with whites' psychedelia can be termed prog(ressive) (i.e. jazz-rock as an accepted sub-genre of prog).

I agree with you. Clap I also like the idea of having progressive albums by non-progressive bands included. I thought of including Stevie Wonder (*love* his 70s work), 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 07:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Speaking as a huge fan here, I'd like to think of it as progressive soul music, just like The Temptations did with the track 'Zoom' off the album 1990. Most other places these acts are described as psychedelic soul/funk, which I largely agree with. Calling them prog is rather like saying Django Reinhardt is prog, They were progressive for their day, yes, but have nothing to do with prog.....unless we've started making up our own music history.

We kind of are making up our own music history, and we've made our definition to exclude certain kinds of music. Prog wasn't a genre till after the fact, and then we (collectively) created a genealogy, delineating who fits into the family tree and who doesn't. (And it's a largely white family, except for that black sheep clan named 'fusion'.) As I said in my first post above, I don't expect any of them to get in, and am not pushing for it - it would be a hopeless cause, haha. I do however like the idea of prog albums being admitted by non-prog artists. And "What's Going On" is a prog album.

Edited by jude111 - March 27 2014 at 07:25
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 07:56
I do quite honestly despair sometimes.

Why do people automatically assume that just because they like an act or artist, then that act or artist has an automatic right to be included on the site database?

Prog funk???? Hang the funk, I say, what the fu*k? Is this supposed to be a serious proposition? Really? Is it any wonder that some of us get rather tetchy sometimes here?

Let us knock this bloody nonsense on the head once and for all.

Martin Gaye was a great man. He could be described as a genius, a colossal figure in the history of black American music, someone who gave pleasure to untold millions of people.

There is, though, one thing he was not. That is, a progressive rock artist, and any suggestion to the contrary is so ridiculous as to be beyond contempt. Please, please, stop it, now, eh?

I might start another thread when I come back from hospital later. That is, how to do artist additions and suggestions differently on the site. I will probably start this on the collab zone. This is, really, getting damned silly.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 07:56
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

We kind of are making up our own music history, and we've made our definition to exclude certain kinds of music. Prog wasn't a genre till after the fact, and then we (collectively) created a genealogy, delineating who fits into the family tree and who doesn't. (And it's a largely white family, except for that black sheep clan named 'fusion'.) As I said in my first post above, I don't expect any of them to get in, and am not pushing for it - it would be a hopeless cause, haha. I do however like the idea of prog albums being admitted by non-prog artists. And "What's Going On" is a prog album.

Completely agree with lazland. If What's Going On is a Prog album then Psychedelic Shack by the Temptations is the equivalent of In the Court of the Perennially Suntanned King. The Marvin Gaye album is certainly a masterpiece that changed what soul music was allowed to express forever but it ain't Prog y'all. You state you don't expect it to be admitted and are not actively lobbying for same so why create the thread at all? (unless you just want to see people considerably more PC than myself appease your playing of the disingenuous race card) If any artist records a bona fide Prog album they can be admitted to the archive, their skin colour is of no consequence. You wanna start a thread lobbying for the Non Caucasian Side of the Moon?.Stern Smile

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 27 2014 at 07:59
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 08:26

As "yam yam" stated, I put this in the wrong Forum category, since it was never meant to be a serious proposition for including artists such as Marvin Gaye and George Clinton's bands. If someone is able to move it to the proper Forum, that would be great.

Edited by jude111 - March 27 2014 at 08:47
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 09:53

In 2008 Funkadelic were suggested for Space Rock. That discussion ran to seven pages.

A few months ago, Shindig produced a great magazine on Space Rock which included an article on Funkadelic and Sun Ra. 

I myself have suggested that Funkadelic be added to PA on more than one occasion.  And I've suggested the creation of a Prog Funk or Prog Soul subgenre.

Maybe someday it'll happen.  In the meantime, prog or not, they're still awesome, and they seem very prog to me.

rotten hound of the burnie crew
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 10:29

As "yam yam" stated, I put this in the wrong Forum category, since it was never meant to be a serious proposition for including artists such as Marvin Gaye and George Clinton's bands. If someone is able to move it to the proper Forum, that would be great.

The topic was moved to the General Music Discussions forum by admins yesterday (see the path displayed beneath the 'Prog Archives.com' logo at the top of the page), but even though it has been moved, the thread will still show up in the part of the forum it was originally posted. Smile
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 10:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

(...)

Prog funk???? 

(...)

"Prog electronic ????" Angry

Edited by Svetonio - March 27 2014 at 11:02
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 11:16

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

[...]

I agree with you. Clap I also like the idea of having progressive albums by non-progressive bands included. I thought of including Stevie Wonder (*love* his 70s work), 

Thumbs Up Beer

Edited by Svetonio - March 27 2014 at 11:39
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 11:36
Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder & Funkadelic may have been ground-breaking and thought-provoking, but that doesn't mean they were Prog-Rock.  At what point do we draw the line?  Should Prog-Rap/Hip-hop be considered too?  Do we start including classical composers like Wagner, Mahler or Stravinsky because they were progressive?  How about Prog-Country like Hank Williams or Willie Nelson?  It's a little ridiculous. 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 11:42
Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder & Funkadelic may have been ground-breaking and thought-provoking, but that doesn't mean they were Prog-Rock.  At what point do we draw the line?  Should Prog-Rap/Hip-hop be considered too?  Do we start including classical composers like Wagner, .... (...)
Yea, Krautrock and Berlin School are also not part of British Progressive Rock movement Wacko
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 11:45
I'm not that familiar with the Marvin Gaye album, but I was supportive of Funkadelic in PR and think that the first Parliament album, OSmium in 1970, also has a certain crossoverish progginess about it

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 12:09
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

(...)

I might start another thread when I come back from hospital later. That is, how to do artist additions and suggestions differently on the site. I will probably start this on the collab zone. (...).
hmmm.. let me guess...Well, this means that only the collabs and admins would be allowed to suggest  the new bands; of course, only in the collab zone. I do not see a solution that for you and your like-minded people would be better. No kidding at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>