Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChallenge to early Supertramp fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 00:55
That album is great despute what Allmusic state , Heavy jazz rock/progressive rock album, huuuge sounding , Better Days is soo good.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 01:16
Cannonball is wonderful also - it just intoxicates you with the solid beat and atmospheric synth washes.
Going back from this one a bit, the song Downstream, from Quietest Moments, is just pure emotion, beauty, bliss......all these things. And it's Davies.
The debut is still my personal fave from them, regardless.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 03:50
^hmmmm now we really are getting into an appreciation thread. Downstream is my personal Supertramp fave along with Child Of Vision. I have always liked Davies for contribution, notwithstanding the awesome work Hodgson and Davies did togetherWink Their debut is incredible, but Aries off IS is excellent too, love that album for all it's uneveness. I would also to have to say Canonball was one of the best tracks to come out of the 80's. While we are at it, has anyone persevered with Somethings Never Change or Slow Motion. If you are looking for typical Davies work with knockout swing jazz/blues plus good old crossover prog, then they are the bees kneesApprove
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:29
Free as A Bird and Hai Hai both flunked. A Day in the Zoo is an amazing song
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:42
^ So, no 'Inbetween' then...........
...........so pardon me boys...........
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 04:46
Inbetween is magical , have you mixed traxks of Brother Where... and Eye of the Storm. Ii have
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 05:10
Eye Of The Storm didn't ring a bell with me.......??
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 05:16
I wont explayn antmy futher other the you search on PA on Roger Hodgson an look for studio album.....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 05:25
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

I wont explayn antmy futher other the you search on PA on Roger Hodgson an look for studio album.....
Oh,, Hodgson solo album - didn't do much for me....... Commercial pop extended beyond its worth......... apologies for this one....

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 04 2014 at 05:36
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 05:26
Its ojey
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 05:33
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Oh,, Hodgson solo album - didn't do much for me....... Commercial pop extended beyond its worth......... apologies for this one............

I concur my friend.....I think Hodgson's appeal as a vocalist waned quicker than Jon Anderson's. Cannot put my finger on itConfused I know Hodgson still has a devout fan base which i am happy about. His album Open the Door was pretty good from 2000. A plus 3 rating on PA. Hai Hai sadly did not make even a 2 star rating.

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Candyfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 15:38
Claugroi, perhaps have misunderstood my first post on your part. I understand that you are talking about a song from the first album Supertramp, and as you say , Roger Hodgson at the time belonged to the band.

While I have highlighted and exposed the most important songs of Roger Hodgson in his career when it belonged to the group , I think it is equally right that when you talk about Rick or the other members, I have set the songs that Roger he has composed and sung with Supertramp .

Regarding taste , you know, everyone 's got their own, I respect that you like most music that makes Rick Davies , I expect you to respect the same way , for me, Roger Hodgson has more talent and charisma than the rest of the members of the band Supertramp, is just my personal perception , as that is what I see in the criticism of his music and his career worldwide . Besides, you you could see in your country , Brazil,  is very dear Roger , and every time you make a tour of this beautiful country, is a success.

Regarding the question that was reflected in this post, of course I know this beautiful song, the voice is Richard Palmer, and from 1:30 about a minute, Roger Hodgson's voice is heard together, at least that I could appreciate. Regarding the composition of this song was possibly written by Richard, but the musical arrangements have much of Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies a little, at least in the style of the song. 

To me, anyway, the song I like about this album is "Surely," I have heard the live sung by the composer of the same, it's really fantastic a luxury actually. And the second song that I like about this first album Supertramp, is "Words Unspoken", a song with parts of magic and mystery. 

That's my opinion !!Smile
Best Regards
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 16:05
Candyfish, I agree that everybody's got their own opinion and taste, and this must be respected, but I don't agree that opinions and tastes are not discussable. Anyway, we are discussing ours here, and I consider that very healthy.

Regarding Brazil, it is, indeed, very dear to Roger, and he fortunately corresponds to our kindness. He came here more than 5 times, none of which I could attend, very unfortunately. I hope he'll come back soon (do you know if he will ?). And have you really heard him play Surely live ?? That's quite rare, isn't it ?? Lucky you...

Thanks for you opinion about the singer of Shadow Song.
Symphonic Prog Master
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 16:13
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

I have followed the thread from when it was written 2 days ago, and at the time needed to revisit the debut album as it had been a while. Funny thing about this is I was reading that wiki article a while back to see when it was that Mr.Helliwell had joined up and noticed that your edit of RPJ singing on Shadow Song was up, not Davies. I am more of a King Crimson fan than a Supertramp one and that note caught my eye because I didn't know RPJ sang any songs, seeing how he only provided lyrics to KC albums... anyway after two days of listening to both Shadow Song and Maybe I'm a Beggar I have to agree with claugroi that it is RPJ on Shadow Song. I also think RPJ sounds more like John Wetton (a man whom Palmer-James has worked with for a good portion of his career) than he sounds like Davies. 

Sorry if this derails things but a similar thing has happened before where a musician "discredits" himself for some contribution on album/song. 

The example that comes to mind is Jack Bruce of Cream and his credit on Zappa's Apostrophe album. Jack Bruce claims he only went into the studio with his clarinet and played one crazy note, while Zappa said he played bass on the entire eponymous track, even going so far as to slight Jack's playing style. Jack's reason for discrediting himself may be because of his dislike of Zappa. When commenting on his contribution to the album he says something like "It's awful stuff" while he promotes some album he was originally in town to collaborate on. Maybe Richard Palmer-James didn't like how he sounded on that song, maybe he didn't like the lyrics he had written and wanted to disassociate himself with the song, or maybe like claugroi has stated he simply had a slip of memory and mistakenly credited Davies. Either way go listen for yourself then comment.

Thanks for you comment. That, indeed, is a possibility of what might have happened. If not, then I'm right about the misremembering, because one thing is for sure: that man singing is Palmer !
Symphonic Prog Master
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 16:22
Regarding all the appreciation comments about Supertramp, I agree with most of you. I think when you truly like a band, you don't really care for its members. Musicians and singers come and go, but the essence of the band generally remains. 

There are only 3 band whose discography I know entirely: Beatles, Gentle Giant and Supertramp (every single song on every single studio album), and I can say that there are very few ST songs I don't like. Aries is surely one of them. They should have omitted that. Canonball is one of those I try to like, but can't. I think it's artificial...

Talking about BWYB, do any of you agree with me that Open Door is a forgotten gem ? I just love that song. So simple, yet so powerful. A big musical crescendo with poetic lyrics. It's a pitty most people either hate it or consider it the weakest on the album...
Symphonic Prog Master
Candyfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 17:06
Claugroi, I had the honor of enjoying "Surely" and an extensive and magnificent repertoire, this time I was in Barcelona on March 31, 2011. 

It's a shame you could not attend the last of Roger Hodgson Tour 2012 in Brazil, I am sure that the perception of many of your thoughts change. 

Regarding the return of Roger Brazil, this year there are still no dates for this country shows, anyway, when I have information about this, I'll let you know, opportunities as well, should not be missed. 

Best Regards

claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 17:12
That's a great setlist. I didn't expect to see Surely, C'est Le Bon, The Awakening, Know Who You Are and A Soapbox Opera there. I hope he plays those ones when he comes back here.
Symphonic Prog Master
Flora View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 16:27

Talking about Brother Where You Bound, so many people say "how much Supertramp still sounded like Supertramp" after Hodgson left, yet what most people don’t realize is that four out of the six songs were all contenders for the Famous Last Words album and were already 90% done before Hodgson left the band.  

Hodgson had worked on the arrangements of Cannoball, Still in Love, Brother Where you Bound, and Ever Open Door, with Davies.  Sometimes it really frustrates me that more people don’t know that, because if they did, they could understand why the Brother album still has that sound even after Hodgson left.

I tried to find the interview where I read that, but I couldn’t find it.  Did other people know this?  If anyone wants to write to Hodgson’s Facebook his staff is pretty good at answering questions and we can get it again from the horse’s mouth.  https://www.facebook.com/rogerhodgson
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 18:15
"Shadow Song" is Hodgson singing - it just sounds a bit unusual because the verses are quite low for Hodgson's means. On later Supertramp records he would compose his melodies a few notes higher, resulting in a very different mixture of harmonics/overtones. Compare the vocals in the first verse of "Shadow Song" with the first verse of "Easy Does It" and "Rosie Had Everything Planned" and Hodgson's lead vocals in the (low) beginnings of the verses of "It's A Long Road" - the timbre is very much the same.

Richard Palmer-James most definitely doesn't sing lead vocals on "Shadow Song" ... he has a raspier voice which tends to break (or get a bit breathy) when he sings such high notes, such as in "Maybe I'm A Beggar".

And it doesn't sound like Rick Davies to me either; I don't suppose that Rick Davies would have been able to hide the growl in his voice (which he already had by that time) that perfectly. "Times Have Changed" on "Indelibly Stamped" could be a good comparison. I guess it's possible that Davies sang "Shadow Song" when the band performed it live - maybe to be able to maintain the fluid segue to the harmony vocal part - this might be what RPJ remembers. "Shadow Song" definitely sounds like a Davies ballad (like "Downstream" or "Poor Boy") but the slightly nasal and high-pitched timbre of the voice singing the song on the album is certainly Hodgson.

By the way;  this beautiful video has recently surfaced on the web: late-1969 Supertramp (aka Daddy) playing "All Along The Watchtower" in Munich, heavily inspired by The Nice. Smile   http://www.frequency.com/video/rarely-seen-early-video-of-supertramp/141960346/-/5-2499

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 05 2014 at 18:18
All in all each man in all men
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 18:24
^ Mean bass from RH! Great findApprove

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>