Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - United Progressive Fraternity (AUS): Ex-Unitopia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnited Progressive Fraternity (AUS): Ex-Unitopia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: United Progressive Fraternity (AUS): Ex-Unitopia
    Posted: April 01 2014 at 18:47
Well, Unitopia may not exist as a band anymore, but this certainly sounds interesting:http://www.progrockmag.com/news/unitopia-spawns-offshoot-band-united-progressive-fraternity/

Members of defunct Australian band Unitopia have regrouped in new outfit United Progressive Fraternity – and they’ve released debut video The Water, featuring former Yes frontman Jon Anderson. View it below.

The lineup includes ex-Unitopia men Mark Trueack, Matt Williams, Dave Hopgood and Tim Irrgang, with Guy Manning, Steven Gee and Ian Ritchie. Their debut album, 'Fall In Love With The World', features appearances by Steve Hackett and Steve Unrah.

Vocalist Trueack says: “My original concept was to make this a universal project, allowing not only the members to come and go as they please, but also inviting the listener to share ideas on what they would like to hear – in other words, making UPF the people’s group.

“There are bands all over the world who like to express concerns over social injustice and the environment we live in. How can a project like this be any different?

“If people are willing to share their inner thoughts and have enough courage to accept different ideas and expand on them, we can make a difference. Conflict appears more and more inevitable, and our environment harder to live in as climate change takes its toll. If projects like ours can make a difference, we will have a better world.”

United Progressive Fraternity are planning a tour of the UK and Europe in the autumn. They’ll also appear at this year’s Summer’s End Festival, where they will officially launch the album - due for release around the middle of October.

Find out more here: http://www.unitedprogressivefraternity.com/.

The songs on the album are written by Trueack, Williams and Timms - and are published by www.perfectpitchpublishing.net

Additional arrangements by Guy Manning.

'Fall in Love with the World'

Track listing:

1. Overture
2. Choices
3. Intersection
4. The Water (with Jon Anderson and feat. Matt Williams)
5. Don’t look back
6. Travelling Man (The Story of Eshu)
7. Fall in Love with the World

Producers:
Matt Williams, Mark Trueack, David Hopgood and Sean Timms

Musicians:
- David Hopgood / drums,vocals [Unitopia]
- Guy Manning / keyboards, guitars, mandolins, vocals [Manning, The Tangent]
- Ian Ritchie / sax, flutes, vocals) [Roger Waters, Steve Hillage and Robbie Neville]
- Mark (truey) Trueack / vocals [Unitopia]
- Matt Williams / guitars, vocals [Unitopia]
- Steve Gee / bass, vocals [Landmarq]
- Tim Irrgang / percussion [Unitopia]

No track timings as yet, but the album is stated to contain around 60 minutes of music. Cool

They are on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/UPFrat, from where I copied this information about the project:

"Although, well known Australian Progressive Rock group Unitopia have decided to call it a day, the musical spirit still lives on in the newly formed United Progressive Fraternity. A phoenix from the ashes, UPF are a tour de force with ex-Unitopia members Matt Williams on guitar, Dave Hopgood on drums, Tim Irrgang on percussion and the ever magical voice of Mark ‘Truey’ Trueack, whose vision this juggernaut is. Added to this, Mark has managed to corral some progressive rock heavyweight ‘kindred spirits’ in the form of keyboard player, guitarist, vocalist and song-writer, friend Guy Manning (Manning, The Tangent), bass guitarist, Steven Gee (Landmarq) and on the first UPF album and also on their up and coming tour of the UK and Europe later in the year, wind player Ian Ritchie (renowned for his work with Roger Waters).

On 31 March, UPF will be formally announcing their existence with the video release of ‘The Water’, from the debut album ‘Fall in Love with the World’ (due for release in October 2014) and which includes a collaboration with ex- Yes front man Jon Anderson and input from former Genesis guitarist, Steve Hackett. Steve Unrah will also appear as a special guest on the album, playing the violin and flute.

The context of the songs is largely unchanged from the Unitopia days; thought provoking and meaningful lyrics with an emphasis on the human condition, the state of the environment and how we as the human race arrived at where we are today. All sung with feeling and passion – a hallmark of all that is best in progressive music, but the music itself has taken on an edgier, grittier sound than that of Unitopia, which makes it quite breath-taking!

‘Water’ opens and ends with the sound of thunder and rain which leads into exquisitely middle- eastern flavours interspersing with a punchy orchestral chorus and featuring the unmistakable dulcet tones of Jon Anderson. The song progresses into a dramatic sequence with some heavy guitar riffs supplied by Matt.

The production is flawless, Mark’s voice is as impressive as ever, and the talent that these musicians combined possess is clearly apparent. ‘Water’ is a reminder of how we can take this precious fluid for granted; how it is getting harder to get (especially in Australia, where droughts are more frequent and prolonged with bushfires more violent and deadly with each passing summer) and yet, we still treat it with thoughtlessness instead of conservation.
“The Water’ brings the message home loud and strong!

The band will be touring the UK and Europe in the autumn and have already secured a place at the prestigious Summers End Festival as the Special Guest slot on Saturday night."

Nobody comes to this part of the forum, so I guess this will have about twenty views and maybe one random reply over the next six months - but I can't post this in the PA areas because the band aren't yet on the site...but look out for them in 'Suggest New Bands and Artists' sometime towards the end of the summer! Wink

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 19:41

Yam Yam hello HugI listened to the track and don’t hear Jon Anderson.

oh wow this topic of water is typical of what would concern Mark and somewhat Australians too as they are most conscious about conservation, from the most famous barra reef to other environmental issues. Fresh water soon will become a rare commodity and I think Truey is so sincere and most clever foreseeing these issues beyond him in the future, reality check we all need to do something and he does this so effortlessly yet he manages to produce such fab listening moozik. I love and adore him, his none corny unique lyrics and his vocals too plus obviously anything he is instrumentally connected is a trip really.

xxxxx

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 05:19
Hiya Sonia! Hug Wow! - I have a reply to my topic already. Tongue Jon Anderson is singing on the 'Water' track, but his contribution is limited to the backing vocals - you can first hear him at around 1:38 singing "so dry...so dry" and briefly at various other points of the song (mainly the chorus sections).

Here in the UK were are very lucky as far as water is concerned - we do get our dry spells from time to time, but have just gone through three of the wettest months on record, with homes in many parts of the south being underwater for days on end: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/13/uk-floods-essential-guide. The rainfall measured at the historic Radcliffe Meteorological Station at Oxford University in January was greater than for any winter month since daily recording began there in 1767, and three times the average amount for the month over the last two and a half centuries.

In many parts of the World though the sitution is indeed pretty desperate, and has quite often been a subject that songwriters like to address in their lyrics. What we can actually do do solve the problem in a physical sense remains unclear. Global weather patterns are entirely outside of our control, and it was ever the case - even back in the days when man's impact on the state of the planet was infinitessimal compared to what it is today. I guess the only answer is to provide and install more wells and irrigation systems in these arid countries.

I worked for a few years in Saudi Aabia back in the mid-eighties, and though the country is largely a semi-desert, it is surprising just how much water is locked away underground, and how easy it can be to grow stuff there and provide fresh drinking water with the provision of a few wells and pivot systems:

Smile

Edited by yam yam - April 02 2014 at 06:18
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 16:11
Very interesting.  Prior to today, my Unitopia exposure was limited to The Garden and the live album One Night In Europe.  I really liked them and their sound.  Today, I further explored them by listening to their other three albums and I must say that I am hooked.  I watched the One Night In Europe DVD over the weekend and decided that I really needed to listen to the rest of their stuff.  I haven't listened to this new song yet, but intend to do so shortly.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 12:36
Well, as expected in this quiet backwater of progarchives, this thread has lain dormant for several months now...So - time to re-awaken it! Tongue

United Progressive Fraternity will release their debut album via InsideOutMusic in November, the band have confirmed.

The group was formed from the ashes of Australian prog rockers Unitopia, and sees Matt Williams, Dave Hopgood, Tim Irrgang and Mark Trueack joined by The Tangent's Guy Manning and Daniel Mash along with Marek Arnold.

Debut album 'Fall In Love With The World' features guest appearances from Jon Anderson and Steve Hackett.

They have also announced a number of European and UK tour dates starting this month.

The band say: "We are absolutely thrilled to be signed to such a prestigious label as InsideOut and look forward to a long and fruitful partnership. We are very proud of what we have achieved with the making of this, the debut album from UPF.

"Everyone has worked incredibly hard to bring it together, and while the road we travelled to get here was a real challenge, the journey has been worth every step. We have strived to create a richer, bolder, grittier sound trying to evolve a little more, and we truly believe we have succeeded in this.

"We are very excited to be taking UPF to the road with our promotional UK/European tour. We will be playing tracks from the new album and Unitopia fans will not be disappointed as we will be playing selected favourites from the back catalogue."

UPF UK dates 2014

Sep 27: Summer’s End Festival, Chepstow

Oct 10: The Bedford Balham, London

Oct 11: The Wesley Arts Centre, Maltby

Oct 12: Cathouse, Glasgow

Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 11:34
This album is now an eight, or possibly even a nine-track work, and is set for launch on November 10th via InsideOut as a special-edition digipak CD, a gatefold double-LP with CD, and as a digital download.

New Tracklist:
1. We Only Get One World (Overture)
2. Choices
3. Intersection
4. The Water
5. Don’t Look Back – Turn Left
6. Travelling Man (The Story Of Eshu)
7. Fall In Love With The World

8. Religion Of War

9. The Water (extended version)

Musicians:
- Dan Mash / bass [Maschine, The Tangent]
- David Hopgood / drums, vocals [Unitopia]
- Guy Manning / keyboards, guitars, mandolins, vocals [Manning, The Tangent]
- Marek Arnold / saxes, clarinet, keyboards [Seven Steps to the Green Door, Toxic Smile]
- Mark (truey) Trueack / vocals [Unitopia]
- Matt Williams / guitars, vocals [Unitopia]
- Tim Irrgang / percussion [Unitopia]

Special Guests:

Jon Anderson, Steve Hackett, Steve Unruh, Laurie Larson, Claire Vezina, Guillermo Cides, Brittany and Holly Trueack, Jonathan Barrett, Ian Ritchie

Smile

Edited by yam yam - September 25 2014 at 11:56
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 12:13
Anyone thinking of attending the last three gigs of the tour - at The Bedford Balham, London...The Wesley Arts Centre, Maltby...or Cathouse, Glasgow - think again. This from facebook today:

UPF Statement:

"A very important message to those planning on attending the forthcoming UK dates
We regret to inform you that we will be unable to the play the three remaining shows in the U.K. and Scotland.
Yesterday, the three Australians citizens in the band were detained for almost 6 hours and questioned about the details of their proposed U.K. performances.
The guys were very close to being held overnight in Calais, but we were able to get them into the U.K due the quick
witted and eloquent persuasion of Guy Manning. Sadly, the outcome is that the three Australians are unable to perform in the U.K. legally and consequently, we cannot complete the tour.
We are devastated that it has come to this and are deeply sorry to be announcing this statement.
Please apply for ticket refunds from the agency from which you purchased them.
UPF will be back in the U.K on a larger scale very soon!
On behalf of every member of the band, we are so sorry to not be meeting you this trip, but these were circumstances beyond our control and we are deeply saddened that we cannot perform for you."

Cry
Truckin Dan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 07:56
I am a very happy guy now.I am a trucker in the US and was first exposed to Unitopia about 2 yrs ago thanks to MOROW.Unitopia had a refreshing lyric content and on first hear,I had to look for more.I was immediately hooked.I was then broken hearted to read during the summer that they had broken up.Once again thanks to MOROW / www.morow.com,they played a cut from this upcoming release from UPF and I immediately knew that voice!!! Which brings me here..(as I write this i'm listening to Unitopia doing a Marillion song-Easter..lol)
I am looking forward to buying this to once again enjoy the sound they produce,and to me...it is perfect!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 16:26
Another sample from the "Fall In Love With The World" album is up on YouTube:

Smile

Edit:
Fall In Love With The World (Gatefold black 2LP + CD) by United Progressive Fraternity LP + CD: €18,99 (plus shipping).
Fall In Love With The World (Special Edition CD Digipak) by United Progressive Fraternity CD: €14,99 (plus shipping).

Release Date: 10.11.2014 (or 11.10.2014, depending on where in the World you are). Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - November 05 2014 at 16:41
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 14:05
House of Prog is playing them right now. Absolutely worth listening!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply