Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDamn Animals with Pink Floyd is overrated!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 11:03
Ohhh I love PF Animals,my fav PF ever!Sheep for instance-I mean listen to the lyrics how can you not like it? I find nothing boring with it at all.Dogs,Pigs,Sheep I absolutely love it,its a masterpiece! I'll have to play it in it's entirety now at some point today.That being said i'll fly away now to my VA appt like Pigs on the Wing

Edited by Kentucky_Hawkwindage - April 11 2014 at 11:12
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 11:03
By and large, I don't consider lyrics all that important to appreciating the music.  This is one of the cases where I think it is THE key to making sense of the album.  Without the lyrics, or rather the thoughts expressed through them, the album would probably fall flat.  I had not read Animal Farm at the time I listened to this album but maybe you need to do that first just to grasp the technique used by Waters here (otherwise they are very different works over and above the fact that one's a book and the other's a music album).  But you do have to be either a bit cynical or sensitive to the way otherwise perfectly nice people transform into predatory animals in the workplace or any other 'real world' competitive arena.  Waters has touched on all those things very nicely through the course of the album.  If you are the type who's so hung up on positivity as to steadfastly avoid anything that sounds cynical, Animals is not for you.

Edited by rogerthat - April 11 2014 at 11:05
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 11:10
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Animals could never reach the greatness of Good Girl Gone Bad.
Some say that Good Girl Gone Bad is loosely based upon Orwell's Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and that Umbrellaellaella is a serious critique of corporate-media pigeonholing in a crypto-post-anarchic society, a theme that continues into Don't Stop The Music. It is rumoured that Rehab was a re-working of an older song called Cravin' and Dribblin' 

Big smile
What?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 11:17
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Animals could never reach the greatness of Good Girl Gone Bad.
Some say that Good Girl Gone Bad is loosely based upon Orwell's Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and that Umbrellaellaella is a serious critique of corporate-media pigeonholing in a crypto-post-anarchic society, a theme that continues into Don't Stop The Music. It is rumoured that Rehab was a re-working of an older song called Cravin' and Dribblin' 

Big smile

I've heard that theory too. Honestly GGGB has a much stronger concept to it than Animals ever did. Animals is too convoluted to really reach the audience at the same level as GGGB. I wonder if Rihanna's other work has the same brilliant underlining layers?

I'm going to check out her debut and work my way up. 

Edited by Horizons - April 11 2014 at 11:17
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 11:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

<font face="Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I think
Waters was BY FAR  the best poet in the band. Maybe that's the reason
why neither The Wall nor Animals are one of my fave ones, i was always
kind of "lazy" to pay attention to that observations about our society
in their lyrics, which at first seem somewhat depressive, imo, at least
when listening to that PF songs. But in fact it could be very
interesting for me to get the lyrics and give a good reading to them, in
order to understand and get better their 70's british music spirit, which btw curiously differed in Genesis early 70's albums.

Genesis wrote songs that took the listener away from all the depressing stuff that surrounded them. It was escapism. Yes took that to new levels, essentially writing utter nonsense some of the time. imo

Floyd on the other hand embraced reality and very skilfully made entertaining music from very dark subject matter. DSOTM is very depressing, but it's also very compelling. Animals is angry AND depressing. A joyful combination, I think..

Quite interesting your considerations, had already once heard or read about escapism, but now i get clearly its meaning. I also feel very depressing some songs of DSOTM, and that's really what i love more in them, especially in The Great Gig in The Sky & Us and Them. I coudn't forget to mention that Parsons "echo" touch plainly essential for their deep and brilliant sound !!

Edited by Rick Robson - April 19 2014 at 09:04

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 11:27
DSOTM offers a bit of relief in terms of humour in Money.  Animals, not so much.  Even where it's funny, there's always an edge to it.  
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 12:44
No, Animals is fantastic, and my opinion is fact. Case closed
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 13:04
All the songs are at the very least "very good."  The one gripe I have about animals is that it's almost overproduced, which is a departure from all the preceding Floyd albums.  Not as much to my taste.

Sheep is the best though
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 21:41
I really love Animals, I'm having trouble choosing my favourite Floyd album between this one and WYWH. Every song is wonderful, and Dogs is utterly amazing. Indeed, perhaps you need to listen to the album more times, lot's of PF music sounded just boring and uninteresting at first listen, but later on I came to really love the pieces.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 03:41
Its a toss up between WYWH and Animals for Floyd's best album for me. I think I would go for the former as its feels like a proper ensemble album. Waters was beginning to take over the band when they got to Animals and Rick Wright's keyboards are becoming marginalised very apparently both creatively and production wise. I'm a  keyboard fan so that is a problem for me. Animals though has some of Gilmour's best playing. Dogs is exceptional of course.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:07
Aminals presaged 80s Stadium Rock, all it lacked was power ballads, sing-a-long choruses and an over-abundance of Spandex™

It did however, have a pig.

What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:35

Aminals presaged 80s Stadium Rock, all it lacked was power ballads, sing-a-long choruses and an over-abundance of Spandex™

Notwithstanding the figure hugging porcine strides, surely any subsequent stadium rock that didn't have power ballads and sing a long choruses would be deemed an abject failure? (Do you mean the visual extravagance of the live shows that Floyd put on presaged the scale of stadium rock etc?)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:41

It was, ironically, this album's tour which would lead to Waters writing the Wall, and eschewing completely stadium rock.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:42
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Notwithstanding the figure hugging porcine strides, surely any subsequent stadium rock that didn't have power ballads and sing a long choruses would be deemed an abject failure? (Do you mean the visual extravagance of the live shows that Floyd put on presaged the scale of stadium rock etc?)
I mean musically. The 1977 stadium-filling In The Flesh tour is secondary (though it did have its Spinal Tap moments).
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:44
^ I never witnessed that (ain't a big Floyd fan alas)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:52
Dean:  That's intriguing.  Any specific stadium rock songs you are thinking of that resemble Animals?  I would have thought WYWH (the song) had more stadium rock potential than anything on Animals.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:56
On another note, not only does Animals have some of Gilmour's most awesome guitar work, it has some of his most convincing vocal performances.  As I listen now to Dogs (damn this thread!), his voice has all the bite and menace Waters is associated with except stronger still.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 05:16
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Dean:  That's intriguing.  Any specific stadium rock songs you are thinking of that resemble Animals?  I would have thought WYWH (the song) had more stadium rock potential than anything on Animals.
Its the whole album as an epic Rock album rather than any of the individual tracks resembling the anthemic format of 80s stadium rock songs. There were many bands in the 70s filling stadiums but they were playing versions of studio tracks that would play just as well in a small venue as in large arenas, and that includes DSotM and WYWH (if you ignore the stage performance and just listen to the albums). Given that two of the tracks on Animals were written before WYWH, Aminals (in my contention) was one of the first albums that Floyd produced specifically to be played in large venues. The composition and production of the album just has that stadium rock feel for me.

WYWH (song) is certainly a stadium rock song and has that sing-a-long, lighters-held-aloft chorus but it didn't actually feature in the accompanying 1975 tour at all (though two pre-Animals tracks Raving and Drooling (Sheep) You've Got to Be Crazy (Dogs) did).

Edited by Dean - April 12 2014 at 05:18
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 05:23
OK, got it now.  And if I am not mistaken, Waters actually drew up some animal figures while writing this album?  So maybe he planned to have these airborne pigs on the gig all along?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 05:24
The guitar tone on this album, especially on Sheep, has that big heavy metal feel though the riffs are not actually all that metal-like.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>