Topic ClosedYour favorite Horrormovie?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:51
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

True, safety in numbers, lonely in a crowd: but imagine THREE Moshkitos on your sorry illiterate (having never met Aldous Huxley) ass. That's a veritable pant filler

Your Sorry Illiterate Ass: Why Reading Tolkien Does Not Make You Bookish

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 04:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

True, safety in numbers, lonely in a crowd: but imagine THREE Moshkitos on your sorry illiterate (having never met Aldous Huxley) ass. That's a veritable pant filler

Your Sorry Illiterate Ass: Why Reading Tolkien Does Not Make You Bookish

LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 05:12

Always dug the whole Weyland-Yutani angle, so brilliantly real

BTW does anyone know why the Purina logo is used in the first film?  Is it meant to be a future Purina Corp divested into space industrial ventures?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 09:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

No you're right it's sci-fi, I just like to fool myself into thinking it's horror for the fun of it.   Scared the hell out of me but then I was twelve.

Alien is a monster movie in spite of its space setting, and given that the 2012 prequel is titled Prometheus, this puts in the same camp as Frankenstein.
I have seen this 10-minute movie (anyone can see it, it's on youtube). And I can attest that, despite being probably the first "horror" "movie" ever filmed, it is actually far superior to the special-effects-as-replacement-for-talent disaster that is Prometheus.
The-Bullet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 11:10
Not sure if it's classed as a "horror movie" but the scariest thing I have ever watched is the BBC docu-drama Threads

"Why say it cannot be done.....they'd be better doing pop songs?"
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 15:43
Ingmar Bergman's 'Vargtimmen' has some excellent horror scenes. Especially the one where an old woman's ghost takes off her face and puts her eyes into a wineglass.

This night wounds time.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 16:25
Hmmmm...I thought the first 2 Hellraisers were pretty darn scary, and The Ring. The Exorcist is an all-time favorite (both the book and the movie were great). I also have a soft spot for The Thing (1982 Kurt Russell version), particularly when the decapitated head grows spider legs and scurries off under the table, and I thought the ending was done quite well.

In another vein, I enjoy old Karloff and Lugosi movies from Universal Studios, as well as the incredible work of Lon Chaney Sr. in such silents as Phantom of the Opera, Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Penalty. Also, other silents like Nosferatu and The Box of Dr. Caligari.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 16:30
Did I mention?

Help me I'm falling!
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 17:33
'The Cabinet of Dr, Caligari' is amongst my all-time favourite films but I never quite considered it as a horror movie. More of psychological thriller, methinks.
This night wounds time.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 18:33
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Shining would be my usual pick too. Also The Wicker Man (with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee), Baxter, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Omen (1976), Alien, and Videodrome are some others that spring to mind.

Ah yes, The Wicker Man is classic. Very disturbing.

Though I find the original Wicker Man a remarkable film (not the atrocious "not the bees!!" remake), I never understood its belonging to the horror genre. 

I don't think of it as horror genre per se, as it's more of a suspense/ mystery/ thriller type film to me; however, I think it sufficiently ominous while knowing something bad is going to happen to put it under the wider horror umbrella. Like with music, I tend to like films that mix genres or or rather non-generic.

One film fave of mine that I failed to note is The Hunger:

Not many seem to like this film, but I love it.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 18:45
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I'm not too familiar with the horror genre, but I did enjoy Nosferatu.

Which one? The expressionist classic by F.W. Murnau or an excellent remake by Werner Herzog starring Klaus Kinski?
Murnau, but I've been meaning to watch the Herzog one.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Did I mention?

Big smile
What?
Whathefoxtrot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 19:52
Ahhhhhhh! Discussion I can get into!

Well I have two choices, both are controversial and it may seem like a cop out that I have two, but one may not be considered a horror movie. 

1. Jacob's Ladder: Perhaps my favorite film ever and one that lends itself to multiple viewings. It may seem confusing if you are not familiar of where it draws inspiration from (the Tibetan Book of the Dead and the Obvious biblical story of Jacob's Ladder respectively). Honestly, even if you aren't a horror movie fan, give it a view! You'll likely be intrigued at the very least. Also, this was inspiration for the Silent Hill video games (especially 2, which is my favorite of the bunch).

2. The Blair Witch Project: Very controversial, and often dismissed as a "vomit film", The Blair Witch Project is a brilliant film. One I can honestly call a 'horror' movie and not just a black comedy with scary elements. Oh yes, it's tedious to watch, but also very engrossing if you're really into it. Imagination and atmosphere thrive here, and it can be genuinely frightening to picture yourself in the same scenario as these kids.  

Runners up: Evil Dead 2, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Exorcist III (better than the first one *dodges stones*), and many many more. n.n  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 20:33
Originally posted by Whathefoxtrot Whathefoxtrot wrote:

2. The Blair Witch Project: Very controversial, and often dismissed as a "vomit film", The Blair Witch Project is a brilliant film. One I can honestly call a 'horror' movie and not just a black comedy with scary elements. Oh yes, it's tedious to watch, but also very engrossing if you're really into it. Imagination and atmosphere thrive here, and it can be genuinely frightening to picture yourself in the same scenario as these kids. 

Some bad acid will do the trick.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 21:09
Originally posted by The-Bullet The-Bullet wrote:

Not sure if it's classed as a "horror movie" but the scariest thing I have ever watched is the BBC docu-drama Threads

I had completely forgotten about this (ironic, given how disturbing it is) Threads manages that rare feat we touched upon earlier in the threadEmbarrassed of conveying a communal or collective/social type of horror c/f the powerless, defenseless individual etc

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 21:34

Originally posted by Whathefoxtrot Whathefoxtrot wrote:

Some bad acid will do the trick.
No acid is good acid.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 21:46
And no news is good news but we take it anyway ...  yeah I don't know what that means.

As for Blair Witch, saw in a theater and enjoyed it, highly original and yet a story so universal and aching to be told, such a ring of truth about being young and scared and lost in the woods, I'm surprised it took someone that long to make it.   The ending was a bit abrupt and anticlimactic, but that's my only complaint.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 21:57
There was a STUPID wanna-be horror flick by Rob Zombie - I can't recall its title, but it was a huge waste of my time. I'd rather have listened to a One Direction disc 2 times over, and that's saying something......
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 22:38
I have to interject and say I loved Prometheus. But as for horror I love The Descent. Such an awesome concept. And the last 30 min. are wicked fun. PIG SQUEELING BREE BREE!!!
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 22:54
Definitely Nosferatu. Here's a video that I used it to enhance a song from my old band:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>