Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhello! need soft music!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello! need soft music!
    Posted: April 12 2014 at 09:47
Hello from Alabama!

i'm 22, i spent most of my childhood listening to A Perfect Circle, Tool, The Mars Volta, Isis, Porcupine Tree, Kayo Dot, etc. i was also a big fan of early krautrock and post-rock.

i've become very sound sensitive over the past few years (i suffer from Crohn's disease, so i'm underweight and malnourished). i can no longer listen to most music with a deep drum kick, loud snare, or distortion on guitar. sometimes i'm able to filter the low frequencies out with winamp's EQ, but a lot of bands i've simply had to give up listening to.

a friend who works in music pointed part of my problem is the compression they began using on drums in the 80s. i have more problems with newer bands, as they are mixed very loud.

just to give a few examples of bands i enjoyed up until a year or two ago... Dance Gavin Dance, Emarosa, Tesseract, Periphery, Sleeping With Sirens. things got really bad right before Tesseract released Altered States, so i missed out on that. i've had to give up 80s-90s alternative stuff like The Cure, The Sundays, Cocteau Twins, Slint, Codeine, Red House Painters, PiL and Siouxsie too.

nowadays i'm down to Elliott Smith, Michael Hedges, Talk Talk, early Tangerine Dream.. some string quartets for APC and Tool.. and a few percussion-less pieces here or there. not that i mind any of those, but i'm definitely missing the variety i used to have.

as far as "rock music" i'm down to a few songs by the Offspring and Garbage's first album (with winamp's EQ on of course). and *anything i can find* without percussion. so i'm looking for any good ambient groups or post-rock groups that wouldn't bother me too much. Sigur Ros is too percussive for me, ironically (a lot of people have suggested them). the only post-rock i can stand atm is Bark Psychosis and Talk Talk.

any soft progressive, avant-garde and/or folk would be nice too. thank you for reading! ^_^

P.S. i should probably also mention that i write music, so i'm looking for new inspiration just as much as new music to enjoy. :P

Edited by Sandalphon - April 12 2014 at 10:00
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 12:29
How unfortunate. I'd be absolutely gutted. For suggestions I'd say Nick Drake (the Pink Moon album especially).
Welcome to the forum and I hope you find what you're looking for. Smile
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 13:31

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 14:30
You should try David Sylvian.
poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 15:15
Welcome, Sandalphon! Sorry you have those ailments and can't enjoy music as much now.

One prog group I find soothing to listen to is Camel.

I don't like loud sounds either and find it hard to listen to some rock anymore. Yes, the volume wars treatment to music is part of the problem. Watching TV is annoying too.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 17:20
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

You should try David Sylvian.

I would second that Clap

Welcome Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply