Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Hamburger Concerto"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 02:12
^
It's amazing how Proggers have been written out of rock history since the 70s. If I had to pick a Top 5 greatest rock guitarists of all time, Jan Akkerman and Steve Howe would certainly be in there - if there are any better players I would love to hear them. There have been some recent Top 100 Guitarist polls where Howe comes way down the list and Akkerman doesn't event get in!
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 08:32
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Hamburger is a weird one. I get the impression Jan Akkerman was on his way out the band when they made it, and his guitar parts sound "tossed off" like he was sitting down having a smoke when he played them. Despite that it works brilliantly. The  One For the Road Climax is up there with anything ELP did for glorious symphonic bombast and should be listened to on headphones for the full effect!

I agree about Eruption. However, about HC, I don't really find any flaw on the guitars, on the contrary, I find them really wonderful.

I love the guitar parts on Hamburger too, particularly the solo on La Cathedrale de Strasbourg and the Leslie-treated main riff on the title track.  It's just that Akkerman's playing on the album seems to have a slightly "distracted" air, and sounds very different to his super-wired playing on Moving Waves.

"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 12:07
The Jan Akkerman solo on Birth is among my favorite musical moments ever, 'distracted' Thumbs Up, effusive, slow dazzle and phosphorescent. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 08:13
Have not yet heard Hamburger Concerto, but recently purchased Moving Waves which I am enjoying a lot.  In fact I like it so much I was going to buy Hamburger Concerto next!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 17:23
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

The Jan Akkerman solo on Birth is among my favorite musical moments ever, 'distracted' Thumbs Up, effusive, slow dazzle and phosphorescent. 

I love that solo on Birth too... but let's not forget the flute solos too... it's that interplay between guitar and flute that makes that song so amazing for me.
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 15:44
Love Akkerman and he's at his best on that one. Moving waves is also really good.
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 09:23
Great album - love it! Akkerman on that album he is in top form and not as out of control as he at times on Moving waves and Focus 3
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 09:43

Me too. But the solo on Tommy, part of side two of moving waves, is pretty good as well.
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 03:09
Originally posted by musitron musitron wrote:

Me too. But the solo on Tommy, part of side two of moving waves, is pretty good as well.

PRETTY GOOD!  IMHO the Tommy guitar break/solo by Akkerman is the most spine tingling guitar break In the history of modern music!! Brings tear to my eyes.......Literally!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12