Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (81)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
1 [20.00%]
1 [20.00%]
2 [40.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (81)
    Posted: May 14 2014 at 18:38
Bruce Haack : The Electric Lucifer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqTMmELloek

Hardscore : Monkey Trial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVmLNsfDwc

Sonorhc : Purf & Outrelande
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t4SsNwtTcU

Womega : A Quick Step
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIXIlhiP7w
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 18:44

My notes for "Purf" (1972): "
I've seen this album compared to Agitation Free, but it's far more unstructured than that might imply. Basically what we have here is some unhinged experimental avant psych. Closer to some of the loons on the Futura label like Mahogany Brain and Fille Qui Mousse than anything typically associated with the Krautrock tag. "Chronos" is much recommended, though, for those whose tastes run to the exotic and extreme."

The label, once again, comes through with a far more comprehensive summary: "Early 70’s, a group of musicians around Jean-François Gaël, André Chini, Philippe Gumplowicz, Pierre Buffenoir and Youval Micenmacher formed Sonorhc in 1971 near Paris. This discreet band had released only three albums in twenty years : « Purf » (LP-1972), « Outrelande » (LP-1982) et « K’an » (CD-1991). 2014, Fractal Records propose today the first official reissue of the two first albums in a beautiful remastered edition after more than forty and thirty years respectively (!) ; two rare albums, difficult to find and much sought after by collectors.
The musical world of Sonorhc is oriented to collective improvisation and the research of tones ; they create a sound full of invention, rich technically, made by many differents instruments which incorporated judiciously elements from the rock music, free-jazz, acid-psych, concrete, ethnic and experimental making them as one of the most atypical French Underground group, and seems somewhere more closer to the German “krautrock” bands like Between, Agitation Free, Deuter, Limbus 3, Dzyan or the UK group Third Ear Band. But as the most well-known French band Magma, Sonorhc owns their original and strange logo and shows a strong collective : Jean-François Gaël studied musical composition with Michel Puig, guitar with Roger Chaput, electro-acoustic music with Pierre Schaefer at the GRM, and had composed many movie soundtracks later. Pierre Buffenoir taught guitar at the Conservatoire d’Ivry. André Chini is composer of contemporary music in Sweden. Philippe Gumplowicz is a music teacher at the University of Evry and with the percussionist Youval Micenmacher had recorded the 1978’s album “Marron Dingue” with the band Arcane V (see the Nurse With Wound list).
The present edition “2 albums in 1” includes the first “Purf”, a pure jewel of the genre and this one, for example, could had been easily one of the landmark album of the legendary 70’s Futura Records “son” or “impro” series and “Purf” well worth alone the purchase of this disc (!!), plus the second “Outrelande” a compilation of tracks recorded from 1973 to 1982, and with for both their original cover.
To summarize these 74 minutes with Sonorhc, just 3 words as the American blog “Mutant Sounds” has wrote : “A Total Mindbomb”. 
THIS IS A « MUST » HAVE !  CD limited edition 300 copies CDRWL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao6iGA8tqx4
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 01:15

This obscure band came from Belgium and was a big discovery for me because they really sound good, they released only one album in 1975 named A quick step. The bands was formed by the 3 brothers Vanlessen who also are the main composers of the pieces. The music is quite eclectic with nice mellotron passages, warm vocals and some sax and jazzy interplays added here and there - not far from canterbury flavour . This album is hard to find both on vynil or Cd but if you do don't hesitate to listen, they worth it. The best piece is for me the opening track Nympho's Belly Button - here Womega shines on every instrument and can fight with the big names in prog, the rest are also very ok for an oscure band. So a big 4 stars for them, they desearve it. The CD that i own is bought from Syn-phonic label at rezonable price for such an unknown band, under japanese mini lp sleeve format. Youtube.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 01:32
Womega for me, that is my review up there,  the album is from 1975
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 01:39
Thumbs Up Thanks man. I don't know well the whole album, but I really liked the sample. 
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 03:46
Its been awhile but I have heard the Bruce Haack and Womega before. Ended up voting for Womega.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 04:30
Thumbs Up I'm really suprised. I thought it was the outsider here Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 13:22
Bruce Haack - The Electric Lucifer
The Electric Lucifer

Columbia - 1970

Michael Panontin
Isolation is often a recipe for madness. However, in the case of electronics pioneer Bruce Haack, a solitary childhood tucked away in the shadow of the Alberta Rockies merely stoked his knack for invention. As a teenager in the village of Rocky Mountain House, Haack tutored locals on the piano and organized sundry country and western bands for their listening pleasure. When bigger skies beckoned, Haack set his sights on the University of Alberta, settling on psychology after being rejected by the Faculty of Music for his poor notating skills. In 1954, a tape sent off to the Juilliard School secured him a scholarship at the prestigious institution, landing the still wide-eyed Haack in the Big Apple "with a chicken sandwich and sixty dollars". 

Haack spent much of the sixties assembling various electronic devices, as well as appearing on talk shows playing the novel eccentric genius to a no-doubt befuddled Middle America. On Johnny Carson and then Mike Douglas in 1965, for instance, Haack showcased his latest contraption, the Dermatron, a synthesizer played by leading an electrical current through physical contact with another person. Musically, much of Haack's output at the time focussed on the didactic with a string of electronic children's records on the Dimension 5 label. But with simmering anti-Vietnam sentiment threatening to boil over in 1970, the already 39-year-old Haack threw himself in with the peace movement, skirting the metaphysical and the physical withElectric Lucifer, a rock concept LP centred on a utopian energy or "power love" that would seemingly unite the world in the face of war. 

Electric Lucifer was released to critical acclaim (Rolling Stone ranked it among its favourites of the year), though it was subsequently lost amidst the rustic post-sixties Americana of the time, losing out in the peacenik/anti-war sweepstakes to the likes of Jefferson Airplane ('We Could Be Together') and CSNY ('Ohio'). And while that sort of flower-in-the-rifle-barrel idealism now seems rather quaint - especially with this seemingly insatiable U.S. war machine - the proto-electronics on Electric Lucifer sound almost fresh in their primitivism. The opening track, 'Electric to Me Turn', unveiled Haack's latest assemblage, the Adam I, essentially a rudimentary vocoder built for forty-eight bucks with parts picked up on Canal Street in lower Manhattan. The pulsating synthesizers must have created quite a stir with the pot-addled Woodstock generation. The remainder of the disc is as eclectic as the man himself - 'Supernova' soundchecks Terry Riley, while 'War' is pure Wendy Carlos. 'Chant of the Unknown' offers up quirky electronics that predate the Residents. And the coolest track, the menacing 'Program Me', where thundering kettledrums shore up a robotic voice bleating, "my heart beats electrically", could be straight out of the Gary Numan songbook. 

Haack followed up Electric Lucifer with the underwhelming sequel Electric Lucifer Book 2 (recorded in 1978 though not seeing the light of day until its 2001 CD release). But after his untimely demise at the age of 57 in 1988, Haack's oeuvre slid further into oblivion, only to be later rescued somewhat with a string of reissues by the crate-digging Japanese (bless them) and the 2004 documentary Haack: the King of Techno by filmmaker Philip Anagnos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGRkJsEJFOk

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 05:30

Hardscore (Belgium) - 2004 - "Monkey Trial" 
(70 min, Margen)

******!

TRACK LIST:

1.  Intro 2:29
2.  Soundscape-1 1:55
3.  Soundscape-2 3:30
4.  Bound for a Braun 4:30
5.  Soundscape-3 0:44
6.  Hideaway 2:31
7.  Soundscape-4 0:31
8.  Buba Rebuffed 6:32
9.  Soundscape-5 0:42
10. The Doubled G-force Chicken Mambo 4:07
11. Soundscape-6 1:41
12. A Beacon in the Sky 3:40
13. Soundscape-7 0:20
14. Pan the Satirist 5:20
15. Soundscape-8 0:39
16. Project Y 6:08
17. Soundscape-9 1:00
18. Carmine Inspiration 6:01
19. Soundscape-10 0:36
20. 13 Sec's of Bonobos Sex 5:49
21. Soundscape-11 0:21
22. Cold Man in the Forest 2:42

All tracks: by Nuyts.

LINE-UP: 

Frank Nuyts - marimbas; backing vocals
Frank Debruyne - saxophones; backing vocals
Mai - lead vocals
Iris De Blaere - pianos
Jan De Smet - drums
Maarten Standaert - basses
With:
Jan Dutnoy - organ 
Frederik Segers - guitar  

Produced by Segers & Nuyts.
Engineered by Segers & B. Ostyn.

Prolusion. "Monkey Trial" marks my first acquaintance with the creation of Belgium's HARDSCORE, though this is the third album by them. The last name of (producer) Frederik Segers has immediately reminded me of Guy Segers of Univers Zero and Present fame, but I am not sure if there is any real connection between these people.

Synopsis. In fact, there are three additional tracks located at the very end of the CD. These are so-called remixes, shortened versions of tracks 20, 10, & 4 respectively. Each part of Soundscape has a very verbose sub-title, compiled from more than a dozen words, so I didn't put them in the track listing above, especially since most of those pieces are very short in duration. Almost all of them: tracks 2, 5 and all the further oddlynumbered ones aren't soundscapes as such, as there is neither music nor even "sound design", and are only speech, voices, and natural sounds. (On Soundscape-9, I hear the toast "Your health!" spoken in accented Russian.) The only exception is Soundscape-2(3), which has nothing to do with soundscapes as well. Like another instrumental pieceIntro (1), it's of the same compositional and stylistic concept as the songs. Starting with the fourth track, these are located on all of the evenly numbered ones and are with lyrics (in English) that play an important role in this effort. In other words, "Monkey Trial" is a full-fledged concept album. The CD features about 55 minutes of real music, which is just gorgeous. One may discard my rapture for this album due to the inevitable inference of my having written so many highly positive reviews for this update. But that would be neglecting the considerable values of one of the very best releases of the year. A sextet of marimba, piano, saxophone, bass, drums, and vocals with an abundance of original and captivating ideas, Hardscore performs a fresh sounding, both intricate and beautiful music, which may at times evoke with the best of Happy The Man, Jesus Christ Superstar and Etron Fou Leloublan. The band presents a truly original, rather light and lively, RIO, which, thanks to the massive use of vocals (lead female and a mixed choir), and also the way they are delivered, is actually nothing else but an RIO Opera. This is an album of invigoratively imaginative themes inflected with well-developed subtlety and shade, combined with the harmonically sophisticated parts where there are more symphonic textures and are only occasional jazzy tendencies. Each of the songs is made up of a few different vocally instrumental parts and independent instrumental interludes, all going organically with a solid range of complementary musical ideas full of certitude and finesse. Sometimes quirky, but always intelligent and never losing sight of a melodic sensibility, the compositions are laced with original chord progressions and exciting dynamics. While the marimba player Frank Nuyts is credited as the author of the entire material, it's clear that each of the band members participated in the arrangement, offering equal quantities of fire and coloration to the overall effort. The band has created something magnificent, a thing of impressive compositional perfection and considerable stylistic awareness.

Conclusion. Well, Belgium is still at the helm of the RIO movement, especially regarding the most structured forms of the genre, and I am really delighted with the fact of how this country is rich in such talent. There is so much to like on Hardscore's "Monkey Trial", and the album takes just a couple of listens to begin absorbing all the fine detail. This is one of the most unique RIO-related works in my memory, though I am certain that the album will rejoice Art-Rock lovers, too, at least most of them. It will certainly stay on as one of my favorite >Top-20 albums of the year. Progressor.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 07:54
I vote for Sonorhc. Great stuff, very original. Love it ! Heart
 Post Reply Post Reply