FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedfor YES fans in preparation of new album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 13:20
It's nice to know that clairvoyants are already posting ratings for an album that's not due out for almost a month and a half.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 15:00
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

For me ---the classics of course---the musicians matter for great Yes---after that anything with Howe playing, with the exception of OYE and Ladder----liked ABWH--thought Mind Drive and That, that is were pretty good---Mag is important album---and enjoyed FFH. After the classic period---there were no perfect albums ---some great songs was the best they could do.

Mind drive yepClap . Magnification is interesting as a keyboardless version of Yes and also lead to that wonderfull DVD that I can happily devote a whole afternoon to occasionally.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 22:32
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

It's nice to know that clairvoyants are already posting ratings for an album that's not due out for almost a month and a half.

LOL
Ixtlan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 20:09
Been listening to FFH. "Bumpy Ride" is a useless piece of dreck. I do not think it is as clever as it thinks it is. What do you think?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 20:47
Originally posted by Ixtlan Ixtlan wrote:

Been listening to FFH. "Bumpy Ride" is a useless piece of dreck. I do not think it is as clever as it thinks it is. What do you think?

As someone who thinks Howe is a guitar god---I thought the same thing the first several times I heard it---I've gotten into it a little but still think it should have been expanded and flesh out considering Howe's endless guitar talents.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 23:58

It's kinda quirky, I do like it (it's in 7/8) but it does stick out like a sore thumb within the entire piece.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 00:53
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It's kinda quirky, I do like it (it's in 7/8) but it does stick out like a sore thumb within the entire piece.

That whole Fly From Here `prog epic' is more or less a total sham! With the exception of the reprise at the end, it's just a collection of unrelated tracks placed together...and why on earth there's mostly fade-outs between the sections when it's trying to be sold as as an extended `epic' is beyond me. And yes, `Bumpy Ride' is garbage, not even strong enough to make it as a Flower Kings filler piece!

Sigh...of course I'll buy this new album and likely enjoy it for what it is, but is anyone else REALLY expecting this new Yes album will be anything other than slightly fancy pleasant Dad-rock?

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - May 29 2014 at 00:53
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 01:32
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

That whole Fly From Here `prog epic' is more or less a total sham! With the exception of the reprise at the end, it's just a collection of unrelated tracks placed together...and why on earth there's mostly fade-outs between the sections when it's trying to be sold as as an extended `epic' is beyond me. And yes, `Bumpy Ride' is garbage, not even strong enough to make it as a Flower Kings filler piece!

Sigh...of course I'll buy this new album and likely enjoy it for what it is, but is anyone else REALLY expecting this new Yes album will be anything other than slightly fancy pleasant Dad-rock?

I'm hoping for something that is at least ''symphonic'' which FFH is not ( it is dressed up AOR which I alluded to earlier). I suppose it will depend on whether Davison can have a significant influence on the writing side. Undortunately the presence of Downes never bodes well. Pity they couldn't have Oliver Wakeman in the band assuming Rick is no longer interested.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 03:49
Ying Yang
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 09:24
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm hoping for something that is at least ''symphonic'' which FFH is not ( it is dressed up AOR which I alluded to earlier). I suppose it will depend on whether Davison can have a significant influence on the writing side. Undortunately the presence of Downes never bodes well. Pity they couldn't have Oliver Wakeman in the band assuming Rick is no longer interested.

Yeah, I have such mixed feelings about Downes---I know he brings something to the table--but Moraz would be so exciting and they could tour with Relayer---which would bring a freshness to the live performances, even thought I know it won't happenCry---I just hope on the new one there will be lot's of playing (instrumental parts) because that is what they can do---and not just singing all over the place---
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, of course they lost something when Anderson left... or rather was kicked out. However, I still hope this album will come out interesting enough. Also, I'm expecting/hoping it will come out better than the Sherwood albums, somehow I have the impression that Davison's capabilities as a writer will be more rewarding than Sherwood's, but we'll see.

Ha!  Billy Sherwood is intimately involved in Heaven & Earth, he's doing the vocal mixing (at least).  

I'm willing to keep an open mind with this one....I quite like Davison's vocals on the Glass Hammer CD "Perilous," and he has a real love & respect for Jon Anderson's craft.  

I'm a bit pensive about the lyrics....really bad prog results when songwriters "push it," as Starcastle did all too often!  
Their album "Fountains of Light" sounded like one long Hallmark greeting card of prog!  (and I knew Starcastle personally, loved 'em).  

We may start to see Yes morph towards a younger permanent lineup which may include Davison & Sherwood (Davison is an accomplished bassist).  I wish they would dump Downes and bring Ollie Wakeman back in!!  

We shall see!  

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 18:23
SHerwood is the worse thing that ever happened to Yes ---so why anyone would want him to take over an amazing group like Yes is beyond me---I think they call sherwood in because they can get him at a premium when they are running out of money---I mean there was no reason to let him in the band to begin with except that he had a studio lol--and his time with the band was uneventful to say the least---(OYE was a train wreak as most have said) Yes should throw in the towel when Howe, Squire and White want to throw in the towel---I mean I miss Anderson and Wakeman deeply---and suppose they could have called it quits---but as long as Howe is there it has some credibility with me---but the problem with Yes-- and Genesis never made this mistake---they allowed too much second rate talent into the group over the years---and to no good, artistic end. I seriously doubt the owners of the Yes name are going to pass it on to second rate talent--at least I hope not.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 22:16

About the Bumpy Ride thing, I also rather dislike it. Well, after repeated listenings, I have come to dislike it a bit less, but still I wouldn't say I like it. About the Fly From Here being an epic... I completley agree. It doesn't feel like an epic at all, and there's just about no relation between the 3 main songs to make them part of an epic... that was just a very lame excuse for an epic indeed (and I actually like those 3 songs very much). They did include an intro and a reprise to "connect" the songs somehow, but then they would have needed not to fade the songs among them, instead they should have been more cleverly connected between them (as was done in Supper's Ready, which even if they are somewhat different songs within it, they were so well connected that no part of the song would sound right if it were taken apart), and "Bumpy Ride" itself might have played an important role in connecting the whole piece together, but once again, it would need to have been done better.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 22:24
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Yeah, I have such mixed feelings about Downes---I know he brings something to the table--but Moraz would be so exciting and they could tour with Relayer---which would bring a freshness to the live performances, even thought I know it won't happenCry---I just hope on the new one there will be lot's of playing (instrumental parts) because that is what they can do---and not just singing all over the place---

Yeah, I also hope that Davison might actually bring something that has been missing from Yes for a time now, I guess we'll just have to wait. About Oliver, they could have had him, but they prefered to fire him in favor of Downes (greatly at the recomendation of Trevor Horn, because as the band was going to bring back some take-outs from the Drama days he said it would be better those were done with Downes on board). However, I do feel that Oliver was a better keyboard player for the band, and was better able to play the different keyboards from all the keyboard players before him... including Rick himself (I believe he played Rick's parts much better than Downes). And also, I feel he would be better suited for this line-up with Davison.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 22:33
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Well, of course they lost something when Anderson left... or rather was kicked out. However, I still hope this album will come out interesting enough. Also, I'm expecting/hoping it will come out better than the Sherwood albums, somehow I have the impression that Davison's capabilities as a writer will be more rewarding than Sherwood's, but we'll see.

Ha!  Billy Sherwood is intimately involved in Heaven & Earth, he's doing the vocal mixing (at least).  
I'm willing to keep an open mind with this one....I quite like Davison's vocals on the Glass Hammer CD "Perilous," and he has a real love & respect for Jon Anderson's craft.  
I'm a bit pensive about the lyrics....really bad prog results when songwriters "push it," as Starcastle did all too often!  
Their album "Fountains of Light" sounded like one long Hallmark greeting card of prog!  (and I knew Starcastle personally, loved 'em).  
We may start to see Yes morph towards a younger permanent lineup which may include Davison & Sherwood (Davison is an accomplished bassist).  I wish they would dump Downes and bring Ollie Wakeman back in!!  
We shall see!  

Yeah, I know about Sherwood. And one of the main things I have disliked about his contributions to Yes, and his writing of his own songs, are the way the vocals sound... kind of tired and, I don't know, there's just something that puts me off... I mean, he actually managed to make Annie Haslam sound terrible and generic on his Prog Collective album. So I hope his duties on this album won't enable him to ruin it too. I had also thought that Davison and Sherwood (and Oliver if they would have him back and he was willing to do so too) might make for a nice base for the continuation of Yes (which some of it's members themselves have expressed of as a possibility, or a dream, or something)... but because of the songwriting thing with Sherwood I'm not so sure about him. I would mainly like him in the band as a bass player, since I heard some nice things on some CIRCA songs I searched on YouTube (I don't think he would make a good enough guitar player for the band, either), but if you say that Davison is a good bass player himself, then perhaps it would be better that he took those responsabilites instead (though Yes doesn't need a good bass player, but an excellent one, at the very least).
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 06:42

but if you say that Davison is a good bass player himself, then perhaps it would be better that he took those responsabilites instead (though Yes doesn't need a good bass player, but an excellent one, at the very least).
I thought Yes already had quite a reasonable bass player?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 21:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

but if you say that Davison is a good bass player himself, then perhaps it would be better that he took those responsabilites instead (though Yes doesn't need a good bass player, but an excellent one, at the very least).

I thought Yes already had quite a reasonable bass player?

Oh no, we are talking about the very hipothetical assumption that Yes may carry on even after all the original or classic members of the band have gone (which even some of them have hinted as having thought about the possibility - at least Wakeman as Squire). And indeed Yes has one of the best bass players around in rock... or at least he was, but I guess he remains reasonably excellent.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 22:35
Sherwood, although rather commercially-minded, is quite a decent bass player. His playing on the recent Nektar album is superb. I haven't heard any of the Prog Collective albums yet, but I intend to change that real soon.
And Downes is excellent on the keys, I don't get why many folks diss him ??
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 03:17

Sherwood, although rather commercially-minded, is quite a decent bass player. His playing on the recent Nektar album is superb. I haven't heard any of the Prog Collective albums yet, but I intend to change that real soon.
And Downes is excellent on the keys, I don't get why many folks diss him ??

For me its nothing to do with lacking ability but more his influence on the direction of the music.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 01:09
Here's one of the songs from the new Yes album:

I'm not sure of the source, but I like what I hear thus far, although Downes' synth solo reeks of Styx-like cheese!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>