Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lazland playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 16:26
I can't really believe that it has been a couple of months since I posted here on this little blog. Readers will, though, understand the reason why as the post goes on.

Very early on in my blog, I explained that my wife, son, and I had moved in with her parents three years ago in order to help care for John, my father in law, who had a type of dementia, alongside Parkinson's symptoms.

Well, I am sad to report to you that John passed away on May 31st, following a very short illness. He passed peacefully, with family around his bedside. My son, very bravely, closed his eyes to rest.

That has, as you can imagine, had quite a large impact on the family, and it is only really now that life is settling down again, to the extent where I was able to take the wife out on Friday for a meal, and a session to follow, at our local pub. The hangover on Saturday morning was a blinder

And then, of course, we all heard the news of Chris Squire's passing. He had announced he was receiving treatment for a rare form of leukaemia just a month before. I remember posting at the time that it was clearly very serious. I will not repeat here all of the tributes found elsewhere on another thread, but, it is fair to say, the respect and love felt for him was truly heartfelt and a mark of the man.

I have played two Yes live albums this week. Firstly, House of Blues. I reviewed this a while back, and I think it was a positive review. In hindsight, though, I feel it is the weakest of the Anderon era live albums. The production felt to me to be rather poor, and it felt very much to be a band going through some motions. I don't know, maybe it was my mood.

That, though, recovered tremendously last night, when I put on the Yes Symphonic DVD. I took my wife to see this tour in Cardiff, which must have been 14 years ago now. The live picture is from Amsterdam, and it is simply wondrous (apologies for the pun). It is, to me, the perfect fusion of all that symphonic prog should be, the joining of musicians at the peak of their powers with a divine sounding orchestra, although, I suppose, many would feel that was the only way they could get away with life without Wakeman.

It was blasting out, and the three tracks off of Magnification, especially, came out extremely well.

Anderson sung his heart out. When he, and the band backing, blasted out the sacred ground passage, you were transported there.

Squire, though, was, well, at the very heart of everything good about the album, his trademark bass literally singing lead licks, and his beautiful voice providing a lovely counterpoint to Jon's lilting lyrics.

Last night reminded me of just how much this band, and, by extension, Chris Squire, mean to me. They were my introduction to progressive rock, and with the exception of Open Your Eyes, they produced works of fundamental importance to rock music when Squire and Anderson were together.

The spiritual element is also extremely important to me. I do not know what Squire's beliefs were. I think he was brought up Church of England, but I would find it rather strange if he dismissed out of hand Anderson's spiritual view of us as a race, even if, half the time, he, and the rest of us, we're not quite sure what, precisely, he was talking about!

I finished listening about 11 p.m., and was elated after nigh on three hours of the finest concert, not a bum track, or bum note in evidence.

I thought to myself, and do tonight writing this as my lovely wife watches television, that life really is extremely special, and this site is special when we remember this, and the genre we love.

I do not pretend to know where John and Chris are now. I know that more than a few on the site believe they are, literally, nowhere.

I do not share that scepticism. John was a dairyman, running his own business, in London for many years. If you look carefully at the Abbey Road album sleeve, you will see a milk float in the background. It is his.

I like to think that John is in a happy place, recreating his younger days. I like to think that Squire is jamming with Entwistle, Peter Banks, and the rest of the fine musicians we have lost from this mortal coil.

I like to think that I will, someday, see them all again. In other words, I do not believe that Jon Anderson speaks nonsense when he talks and sings of the Divine.

None of us, of course, will know until the day comes upon us.

What I do know, though, is that it can be extremely positive to remember and celebrate the finest in them, and all of us.

RIP to you both, chaps. Thank you humbly for some lovely moments and memories.

In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 18:24
^Thank you, Steve, for a touching and heartfelt post!  

I was raised as an American Roman Catholic, and when they changed from the Latin mass (which I learned as an altar boy) to English, I felt they ruined the whole thing, so I lost interest.  

Later in life, my spirituality awoke with "The Revealing Science of God" and other songs of that period by Yes.  I now live by Jon's suggestions, such as "don't doubt your part, be ready to be loved." 

Very comforting words for me through the deaths of my grandparents, parents and other loved ones indeed!  

All is well with the world, despite numerous hiccups here and there around the planet.  As long as more people strive to live in a positive manner than not, we'll get by.  
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 19:07
Great post Steve, and my condolences on the passing of your FIL.  I'm with you on the afterlife thing.  Not one of us on earth, science genius or not, knows what is coming after death.  Therefore we are all entitled to our beliefs as that goes. 

Cstack....I was raised in the Novus Ordo church but despite being younger than you have reached a similar conclusion.  I study and immerse in the pre Vatican 2 church, attending Latin Mass when I am able (it's quite a drive).  I love it.  The current church is spiritually empty in comparison. 

And I feel the same way about the music of Tales....that album almost makes one feel like you do when listening to gregorian chant....open hearted, with a realization there is something greater than ourselves. 

SteveHug

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 14 minutes ago at 15:15
Thanks chaps for your responses. It's interesting that both of you miss the Latin mass. The whole point of doing away with this after Vatican II was to open up the church to more people.

I will return to the church, of that I have no doubt. However, I am as comfortable with Welsh non-conformist, as I am with Anglican, as I am with the Catholic Church of my family and younger days. The denomination is merely a human invention. It is the God, Christ, and belief that is important.

I guess what that means is that decent Catholics have as much chance of entering heaven as anyone, in spite of the words of the late Ian Paisley

I am heartened to see that Jon Anderson's spirituality is becoming far more accepted as the years have rolled on, following many years when he was subject to a lot of ridicule, including by many prog fans. Many of his practices have become quite fashionable of late. Indeed, my wife and I have started meditating, and she is exploring many of the spiritual concepts we first heard of in Tales. Neither of us, btw, are particularly faddish, or followers of the latest trends. I'm a prog fan, so am living proof of that

It is, perhaps, a reaction against the shocking secularism we live in, that search for an inner truth and belief. Jim, your point about scientific geniuses not knowing the truth is very well made. Not one of us knows for certain, and Dawkins, in particular, annoys me far more than religious fundamentalists, because his mind is just as closed, just as ignorant.

The overall point, though, is the love and the expression of that love by living and the music. Good enough for me

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 55 minutes ago at 16:34
Words! Sounds! Feelings! 
All nicely expressed, Laz! 
As usual. 
Please remember that when one thinks of someone who passed away, that is when they become eternal!
"The more I analyze the human race, the more I love my dog" Mme de Stael
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 45 minutes ago at 16:44
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Words! Sounds! Feelings! 
All nicely expressed, Laz! 
As usual. 
Please remember that when one thinks of someone who passed away, that is when they become eternal!

Thanks, Thomas. Yes, I have often had that thought myself. I regularly speak to my son about my beloved grandparents, and, through this, they are very real, and, in a sense, with us.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 3 minutes ago at 18:26
Indeed Steve I do believe what occurred in the RCC in the 60s and since is a tragedy.  But I won't get into that subject on a PA blog.  LOL

Well said Thomas!!Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic