FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion at Gran Rex Buenos Aires May 13 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion at Gran Rex Buenos Aires May 13 2014
    Posted: May 23 2014 at 19:30
A week ago I was in Buenos Aires, just to see Marillion on the Gran Rex Theatre, a great place. Was the first time that I saw the band live. I was see Fish here in 2005, but not Marillion. The theatre has a capacity of almost 3500 people, with three levels all sat down, and was almost full. Almost at 21:45, the band get into the stage, Mark at first and Hogart at the end, running like a child. They opened with a powerful version of Gaza from their last album Sounds can be made. I must say that here, in Argentina, Marillion was edited for sure until Afraid of Sunlight. In any case I guess I saw once This strange engine on some record shop. After that their music became almost unknown for the big public. I think that because of this, they centered the show in tracks from those albums wich were edited here. So, the second number was the marvellous Easter. From this moment it will be clear that the star of the night would be Steve Rothery, the band leader IMO. His solos were just outstanding all the time and many times gave me goosebumps. The people, even me, sung part of the chorus here. The ballad Beautiful was the next in a fine version. After that Marillion did two great renditions of the song Power, again from their last album and Man of a thousand faces, from Strange Engine, whith an oustanding performance of Steve Hogart, great. Time of hits...they played No one can in a great version, with a bit more rougher sound, specially because the rhythm guitar and the drumming. It sounded really fine, and of course the people singing the chorus. Good moment. After that was the first time for Fish era, an here, frankly, we had a low point, and it was Warm wet circles. The way of Steve Hogart sung the song did it almost unrecognizable, so I could not enjoy it. Things got better with At that time of the night, specially with this atmospheric intro of bass, keyboards and guitar, and all of us singing the ending "War Wet Circles". Cover my yes went then and sounded good and powerfull, people singing again the chorus and the "ehehheheeeh", wich seemed to be a bit difficult to sing to Steve. The solos from Rothery were always superb, clear and perfect. I always liked The uninvited guest, and so it was a big surprise to listen it at the show, and it sounded really great. In songs like this Hogarth makes a great performance. Hooks in you closed the currently set, not great think, but just ok.
The first encore was Missplaced childhood, with Kayleigh (I would had like they play Pseudo silk kimono), then Lavender and Heart of Lothian. All of them sung with the people, and well performed. The last encore became with Sugar Mice, in which Hogarth got into the public and sung between then as he walked to the other side of the theatre. Just an emotional moment that flowed into the stunning guitar solo. At the end they played Neverland, in which at the begining Rothery had some problems with his equipament, but his solos were outstanding again. The following day (May 14) was the birthday of Steve Hogarth, so the people sung to him on different moments.
As a conclusion was a good show, that I really enjoy. Steve Hogarth showed himself as a good frontman on the stage, and without doubts he catched the crowd. Steve Rothery, was as I said before the magnficient musician of the band, a stunning gutarist of course. As they play in general terms mainly not complex material, Mark Kelly, a great keyboardist IMO, could not show his abilities, and I would like to see more from him. The rhythm department, did a great job, solid as always. Pete were here few months ago with Transatlantic, and I saw him too.
Steve Rothery did some events the next days, he did a masterclass of guitar and then he played in a show of the argentinian Marillion tribute band The Past.
All was great, thanks Marillion!

Edited by genbanks - May 23 2014 at 21:58
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 23:33
Surprised how much Fish-era stuff they played.  Interesting.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 02:42
Great reviewThumbs Up
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 18:51
▲ Thanks! ...it goes with some language mistakes

Edited by genbanks - May 30 2014 at 06:23
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 17:48
I go to Uruguay for business and had I known about this show in Buenos Aires, would have made an excuse to be in Montevideo, then take the ferry to Buenos Aires.......Ahhhh!
Watcher of the Sky View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 01:32
Nice review

I think they came to São Paulo/Brazil recently, but I didn't have the oportunity to go, unfortunately.
Nous sommes du soleil
 Post Reply Post Reply