Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Genesis really that influential?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 01:22
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Have people here perhaps looked at the contemporary charts and seen how Genesis' now-classic LPs stack up against those by ELP, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Yes etc.? Would be the easiest way to answer the question if you ask me.

not sure I fully understand this. Genesis sold shed loads in the late seventies and eighties when they moved away from 'full on' prog. The earlier albums were not massive sellers. They clearly influenced a lot of eighties neo prog bands and that was partly because they remained visible at a time when many seventies bands just disappeared. Also they were easier to copy than ELP and Yes who tended to push boundaries on the musical/instrumental/technical side more. The appeal in Genesis music is that its more rounded and accessible. Even Lamb has many good tunes that wouldn't be out of place on the radio. Genesis represented the commercial template for prog rock. Thats how I see it anyway.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 02:44
Well, I'm obviously referring to Trespass up through The Lamb... here. Wikipedia says that from Trespass onwards they did crack the top 20 in Continental Europe even getting to number 1 in some countries like Belgium and Italy, but in the UK didn't even get to 12 until Foxtrot.

Selling England by the Pound
did get to number 3 in the UK and went gold in the US, though. I'm pretty sure that album was mighty influential.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 07:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Have people here perhaps looked at the contemporary charts and seen how Genesis' now-classic LPs stack up against those by ELP, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Yes etc.? Would be the easiest way to answer the question if you ask me.

not sure I fully understand this. Genesis sold shed loads in the late seventies and eighties when they moved away from 'full on' prog. The earlier albums were not massive sellers. They clearly influenced a lot of eighties neo prog bands and that was partly because they remained visible at a time when many seventies bands just disappeared. Also they were easier to copy than ELP and Yes who tended to push boundaries on the musical/instrumental/technical side more. The appeal in Genesis music is that its more rounded and accessible. Even Lamb has many good tunes that wouldn't be out of place on the radio. Genesis represented the commercial template for prog rock. Thats how I see it anyway.

Seconded. Finally someone here clearly sinthesizes this whole thread about Genesis, and also clearly explains why there is a just a million threads about this band in the forum, many of them annoyingly repetitive.

Edited by Rick Robson - June 06 2014 at 07:14

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 11:19
^The point of my post was to help establish that early Genesis was appreciated at a much later time, nothing wrong with that as great painters were often celebrated centuries after they died. A little honesty from the bands the bands I posted about woud have gone along way to boltser their credibilty. There's nothing wrong starting out with Motorhead and then discovering The Lamb a bit later.

Edited by SteveG - June 12 2014 at 15:31
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 11:27

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Early Rush always sounded to me like they were mainly influenced by Zep, Yes and Larks era Crimson. Subdivisions and other 80's keyboard heavy songs seem to owe more to the then contemporary Collins led Genesis. What are your thoughts?

Always considered Rush to be a 'hybrid' of Heavy Rock and Prog Rock. They cleverly kept a foot in either camp until maybe Signals saw them completely develop their own style which I struggle to compare to anyone. As an ELP fan I always felt that Rush were the band that I wanted ELP to be . Power WIndows is so drenched in keyboards and orchestra it could almost be a version of ELP in a parallel universe (ignoring the vocals of course). Rush never sounded much like Genesis at any time to me although they had similar aims of making their sound and style more sleeker and contemporary in the eighties.

Great points about ELP and Rush, looking back at ELP the grandious playing seemed to be a LOVE IT or HATE IT scenario. I agree Rush never "sounded" like Genesis but the writing, playing style could be faintly similar and yes until Rush found their house sound after Hemispheres....Clearly why you have two Rush camps, just like Genesis. It seems more people cringe at the post Gabriel era than the post Hemispheres/MP era or even post Signals Rush era.

For me and Genesis I have always been very vocal that start to finish, assuming Genesis is done now, all Genesis is amazing....I mean come on its Genesis    
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 12:28
^I like post Hemispheres Rush better but generally prefer pre Collins Genesis. Go figure.Wacko
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 13:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Early Rush always sounded to me like they were mainly influenced by Zep, Yes and Larks era Crimson. Subdivisions and other 80's keyboard heavy songs seem to owe more to the then contemporary Collins led Genesis. What are your thoughts?

Always considered Rush to be a 'hybrid' of Heavy Rock and Prog Rock. They cleverly kept a foot in either camp until maybe Signals saw them completely develop their own style which I struggle to compare to anyone. As an ELP fan I always felt that Rush were the band that I wanted ELP to be . Power WIndows is so drenched in keyboards and orchestra it could almost be a version of ELP in a parallel universe (ignoring the vocals of course). Rush never sounded much like Genesis at any time to me although they had similar aims of making their sound and style more sleeker and contemporary in the eighties.

Great points about ELP and Rush, looking back at ELP the grandious playing seemed to be a LOVE IT or HATE IT scenario. I agree Rush never "sounded" like Genesis but the writing, playing style could be faintly similar and yes until Rush found their house sound after Hemispheres....Clearly why you have two Rush camps, just like Genesis. It seems more people cringe at the post Gabriel era than the post Hemispheres/MP era or even post Signals Rush era.

For me and Genesis I have always been very vocal that start to finish, assuming Genesis is done now, all Genesis is amazing....I mean come on its Genesis    

I would still take Rush from start to finish (whenever that is) over Genesis from start to finish. Genesis has been good, but Rush has been unbelievable.

Want to play mafia? Visit here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 14:53
^Can't even argue against that statement. Rush was class from A to (YY)Z no matter what their styles were.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 16:43
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

The majority of the world probably remembers them as that `Phil Collins pop group'...

And that's rather unfortunate as people who only know their 'pop' music will probably never experience this group when it was on the cutting edge of art music and creating music that blurred boundaries. Such a shame.

I remember them as both Wink
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2014 at 18:02
^ Yes I remember them as one band from start to finish and loved every minute. Every minute of material from the band is wonderful. Noone like them, ever. Were they influential? Of course they were, we have a zillion neo prog offshoots and clone bands. Some excellent. The thing is every era and evolutionary change heralded great works, even commercially. I believe all members contributed to the sound even AFTER they left. It was carried forward in the band's DNA and well , no secret on PA, personally Phil Collins for me was the most influential member too, Brand X era or his solo era which released equally great commercial contributed work from Rutherford and Banks.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 21:31
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Ask Eddie Van Halen. Wink
Logged out too early last night to explain. Referring to Hackett influencing Eddie to tap.
Exactly.  Most, if not all of the great tappers (Steve Vai, for another one) look back to Hackett as a great innovator and one to imitate and expand on...
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 00:15
Genesis are arguably the most influential prog band. For one thing nearly the entire neo movement was built upon their sound in particular but with a somewhat edgier element to it. Genesis weren't really all that huge as a prog band at least not in the US and at least not compared to some of their contemporaries but their influence has nonetheless been very substantial. They are usually one of the first three or four bands that most newbies discover.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 15:37
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Genesis are arguably the most influential prog band. For one thing nearly the entire neo movement was built upon their sound in particular but with a somewhat edgier element to it. Genesis weren't really all that huge as a prog band at least not in the US and at least not compared to some of their contemporaries but their influence has nonetheless been very substantial. They are usually one of the first three or four bands that most newbies discover.
I agree totally that Genesis were an influence on the later neo-prog bands, DT and the like but not to Metallica, Saxon and other thrashers.

Edited by SteveG - June 12 2014 at 15:37
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 15:54
In the seventies in Boston ("not much of a college town"), Genesis was barely noticed.  FM radio stations (where the good music was played - top 40 was on AM) frequently played ELP, Yes, Floyd, Jethro Tull, even some Zappa, Focus, and of course, Kansas.  Genesis finally got some airplay with the title track from Lamb.

I had some prog friends that loved Genesis - I liked some of their songs, but most just elicited the 70's version of "meh". 

"And Then There Were 3" finally brought radio prominence.  But "Follow You, Follow Me" was hardly a prog masterpiece.

Many keyboardists I played with in those days were highly influenced by Genesis.  Most could easily master the arpeggios of Tony Banks, and were apt to show this to the other musicians.  Few would dare to imitate Emerson or Wakeman.

But the 80's seemed to be when Genesis-sounding bands really began to flourish.  I'd tell you my theory on why that was, but many Genephiles would get angry at me.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 15:57
They already are.  LOL
Help me I'm falling!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 00:27
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

In the seventies in Boston ("not much of a college town"), Genesis was barely noticed.  FM radio stations (where the good music was played - top 40 was on AM) frequently played ELP, Yes, Floyd, Jethro Tull, even some Zappa, Focus, and of course, Kansas.  Genesis finally got some airplay with the title track from Lamb.

I had some prog friends that loved Genesis - I liked some of their songs, but most just elicited the 70's version of "meh". 

"And Then There Were 3" finally brought radio prominence.  But "Follow You, Follow Me" was hardly a prog masterpiece.

Many keyboardists I played with in those days were highly influenced by Genesis.  Most could easily master the arpeggios of Tony Banks, and were apt to show this to the other musicians.  Few would dare to imitate Emerson or Wakeman.

But the 80's seemed to be when Genesis-sounding bands really began to flourish.  I'd tell you my theory on why that was, but many Genephiles would get angry at me.

Admittedly I was pretty young, but I could swear Genesis was actually getting radio play in Buffalo, NY as early as Selling England by the Pound. This converges with them having done a limited US tour then. It's not quite the same thing as "influence" per se, but the band did experience rivalries with Gentle Giant, VdGG and Lindisfarne. I think Genesis definitely influenced Italian Prog, as was already mentioned. I'm also quite certain Genesis had more influence relatively speaking on classic British Symph prog than Zappa or Kansas, so it's odd to have mentioned those two. There are a lot of shared approaches to guitar between Hackett, Fripp and Akkerman. Who influenced who, though?...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:18
Here's the thing. Genesis' influence in the prog community is sort of an after the fact kind of thing. What I mean by that is even though Genesis were around in the seventies and were pretty big in some countries they weren't as big as the biggest prog bands of the day(at least not in the US). So when we look at their influence it's not fair to look at how popular they were during their prog days just like you wouldn't judge Gentle Giant that way. Their influence came later after musicians and many fans were introduced to them by and large in the eighties. I remember when I saw Genesis in 2007 their audience was very mixed. Yeah there were some people there who probably were into the band in the seventies but there were just as many who were my age and younger and probably many of them aren't even into prog let alone know what it is.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - June 22 2014 at 12:19
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:24
is a retroactive following any less legitimate as influence or fandom as following the band in their peak? That would be impossible for some of us who weren't born yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:25
[I think Genesis definitely influenced Italian Prog]

I agree but I'm going to be bold and say the opposite is also true. I feel that Italian prog influenced Genesis. I've never heard anyone say this before but it's my speculation and I don't think it's unreasonable considering how much time Genesis spent in Italy in the early seventies. If you listen to the synthesizer on SEBTP and then listen to say PFM and Banco(but especially PFM)you can hear where Genesis may have gotten some of their synth solo ideas from(as far as adding them in a way that PFM was doing and with the mellotron in the background). I remember when I first heard "Per un amico" it hit me that it probably had some influence on SEBTP.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 01:02
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

[I think Genesis definitely influenced Italian Prog]

I agree but I'm going to be bold and say the opposite is also true. I feel that Italian prog influenced Genesis. I've never heard anyone say this before but it's my speculation and I don't think it's unreasonable considering how much time Genesis spent in Italy in the early seventies. If you listen to the synthesizer on SEBTP and then listen to say PFM and Banco(but especially PFM)you can hear where Genesis may have gotten some of their synth solo ideas from(as far as adding them in a way that PFM was doing and with the mellotron in the background). I remember when I first heard "Per un amico" it hit me that it probably had some influence on SEBTP.

quite likely true just as Aphrodite's Child 666 didn't go unnoticed either
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>