Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFang Chia (U.S.) for Jazz Rock / Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fang Chia (U.S.) for Jazz Rock / Fusion
    Posted: June 03 2014 at 23:56

Fang Chia is an experimental jazz-rock group from Tacoma, WA and the culmination of four friends playing music together for six years. After studying music at university, Coby, Kyle, Kevin, and Matt decided to form this band, combining jazz, african, electronic, classical, and rock styles.
Fang Chia often goes beyond the typical bass-guitar-drums-keys set up, using synthesizers, vibraphones, saxophone, and live brass. The rhythms tend to be mathy and the harmonies jazzy, but at the core Fang Chia is experimental rock and roll. - https://www.facebook.com/fangchiaband

released 30 May 2014

Fang Chia is:
Kevin Shintaku
Coby Tamayo
Matt Price
Kyle Durkee

with:
Micaela Cooley
Julie Campbell
Nate Dybevik
Jeff Brahe

released 31 March 2012
Kyle Durkee - synth, bass, guitar, trumpet, percussion, vibes
Laura Erskine - trumpet
Matt Price - drums, percussion, keys, marimba
Kevin Shintaku - bass, guitar, percussion, glockenspiel
Coby Tamayo - guitar, drums, piano, percussion
Jake Thom - sax
Kirsten Thom - keys, piano
Album artwork by Louise Croff Blake, Joanna Dudley and Kelsey Vogan

Fang Chia — Everybody for Something

((Not on label) no#, 2012, DL)

by Jon Davis, Published 2014-05 

Any band that would name a tune "Arvo Particle" has my attention. Fang Chia's piece by that title doesn't really seem to have any connection to Arvo Pärt (or maybe I'm missing something), but I don't consider that a negative. Title aside, it's an engaging chunk of adventurous rock that should appeal to fans of Djam Karet of the more prog variety (rather than the electronic experimental side). Other tracks reveal more facets to this young band: the minimalism of "The Fall," with droning guitar chords, spacy keyboards, and serene saxophone; a number of short pieces featuring mallet instruments; vocals on "The Turing Test (Robot Song)," with lyrics even — something about machines turning against their makers, I think. One thing all the tracks have in common is a very live and spontaneous feeling, not the kind of note-perfect overdubbed sound that is more common in progressive rock. These musicians are not interested in playing things exactly the same every time, but in treating the compositions as frameworks to be reinterpreted at each performance. In this respect, their attitude is perhaps more akin to jazz, though their music couldn't really be called jazz. Everybody for Something in some ways resembles a demo, a test run for future works, but it stands on its own as a valid statement, and a promise of better things to come.  - http://expose.org/index.php/articles/display/fang-chia-everybody-for-something-2

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 11:11
Added to JR/F chart
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 07:44
Svetonio View Drop Down