Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater: Prog innovators or merely imitators
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater: Prog innovators or merely imitators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 17:56
Originally posted by cloudstr cloudstr wrote:

They are bad copies of Rush, and Rush absolutely sucks anyway...

I wager many [prog] bands would love to "suck as badly as" a band like Rush... WinkLOL
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 18:27
Originally posted by cloudstr cloudstr wrote:

They are bad copies of Rush, and Rush absolutely sucks anyway...
Oh?
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 04:10
I wonder if dream theater have any actual classical influences. I only recall hearing about their prog influences. And I don't consider being classically trained to be an influence.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 09:29
^his thread just keeps on going and going and....
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 12:17
A lot of musicians are classically trained as kids, started playing the piano and taught by a teacher who probably was classically trained.
I remember when I was in band in elementary school most if not all pcs we were taught to play were from the classical genre.....I was never given music sheets by The Who, Zeppelin, Genesis or the Fab Four. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 12:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

A lot of musicians are classically trained as kids, started playing the piano and taught by a teacher who probably was classically trained.
I remember when I was in band in elementary school most if not all pcs we were taught to play were from the classical genre.....I was never given music sheets by The Who, Zeppelin, Genesis or the Fab Four. 
True, but I was saying there is a difference between being classically trained and being influenced by a composer, such as how King Crimson was influenced Bartok and Stravinsky.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 16:43
Originally posted by TradeMark0 TradeMark0 wrote:

True, but I was saying there is a difference between being classically trained and being influenced by a composer, such as how King Crimson was influenced Bartok and Stravinsky.

Well I don't know anyone intimately within Dream Theater, so who knows who has influenced them especially from the classical genre, maybe a lot maybe nobody, anyone's guess.
I also have no idea about KC influences, especially classical....I suppose anybody can say they were influenced by a classical composer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:47

Well I don't know anyone intimately within Dream Theater, so who knows who has influenced them especially from the classical genre, maybe a lot maybe nobody, anyone's guess.
I also have no idea about KC influences, especially classical....I suppose anybody can say they were influenced by a classical composer.

John does play part of Flight of the Bumblebee in his solo on the Once in a Livetime live album. But I believe this was also done before by Yngwe Malsteem and I think Manowar as well, so not a new endeavor for a metal guitarist.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 09:25
there totally PORG INNOVATORSClapClapClap 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 20:25
Dream theather was the tip of a large iceberg.
The progressive
metal as a genre already showing good signs in the mid-80s and early '90s, thanks to bands like Queenrysche, Watchtower, Psychotic Waltz, Fates Warning, Sieges Even, Death, Mekong Delta, etc. Dream Theater was not a pioneering band but helped to consolidate the progressive metal.
Do not think they are imitators but with the departure of Kevin Moore lost a lot in compositional material.
They came at the right time, with a big record company (ATCO) and a niche audience that expected a metallic sound of bands like kansas and rush.

PD: My english is very primitive
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 21:14
They have been my favorite band for a long time. However, I am not going to go all fan-boy on everyone as I can give a completely unbiased and well thought out opinion on the matter. I consider them innovative in the sense that Images and Words was like nothing before it. I'm not saying they invented the prog metal genre nor was Images and Words the first prog metal CD. It was just a brilliant collection of songs that combined different influences in such a unique way that it was a breath of fresh air. I don't want to say that it was the highlight of their career because they've had many acheivements since then. However, I can't deny that being somewhere near the top.

I don't think they have put out anything close to Images and Words. I'm not saying that every album after that has been subpar, BUT album after album when I think of my Top 50 Dream Theater songs, every song from Images and Words manages to stay on the list. CDs like Metropolis 2, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Awake are all amazing in their own way. I think with their last two releases, the band has moved back in that direction. The last release was specifically written with the mindset of creating songs and not just making it a complete w**kfest. When you listen to songs like Surrender To Reason, The Bigger Picture, The Looking Glass, you can undoubtedly hear that.

I'm happy with the last two CDs as the few before that I felt were just far too much under the control of Mike Portnoy. No offense to him but I felt like he was trying to get Dream Theater to sound like his favorite band at the moment. My least favorite song being from Octavarium which was Never Enough. It was the Mike Portnoy whinefest where he tried to get James to sound like the singer from Muse.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 21:45
Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

I'm happy with the last two CDs as the few before that I felt were just far too much under the control of Mike Portnoy. No offense to him but I felt like he was trying to get Dream Theater to sound like his favorite band at the moment. My least favorite song being from Octavarium which was Never Enough. It was the Mike Portnoy whinefest where he tried to get James to sound like the singer from Muse.

Portnoy having LaBrie singing like Matthew Bellamy beats Portnoy singing (lead) any day. Seriously.

I also think that Never Enough is a good song and very aptly placed on the album. The album starts with a bang, but then moves into a slower pace with The Answer Lies Within. But then momentum continues to build through the next few songs. Panic Attack gets that momentum going again after the listener has settled in. Never Enough continues that same fervor from before. The vocals have much more urgency to them, and that instrumental break before the final chorus is almost orgasmic, Portnoy and Petrucci working together perfectly. Then Sacrificed Sons settles back down for a moment, but that feeling that was built up translates into a really dark atmosphere, before shifting back to the amazing second half of the song. And than you've got that 5 minute intro in the title track. Some people call it w**kery. For me, I need that moment to recover from Sacrificed Sons. That song just sends me on a musical high, and I need that break for a few minutes. But not only does it act as a break, it reshifts the focus into that epic.
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 22:03
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Portnoy having LaBrie singing like Matthew Bellamy beats Portnoy singing (lead) any day. Seriously.

Well I think that goes without saying. Is there anybody who thinks that Portnoy singing is a good idea...besides Portnoy and Neal Morse?

I also think that Never Enough is a good song and very aptly placed on the album. The album starts with a bang, but then moves into a slower pace with The Answer Lies Within. But then momentum continues to build through the next few songs. Panic Attack gets that momentum going again after the listener has settled in. Never Enough continues that same fervor from before. The vocals have much more urgency to them, and that instrumental break before the final chorus is almost orgasmic, Portnoy and Petrucci working together perfectly. Then Sacrificed Sons settles back down for a moment, but that feeling that was built up translates into a really dark atmosphere, before shifting back to the amazing second half of the song. And than you've got that 5 minute intro in the title track. Some people call it w**kery. For me, I need that moment to recover from Sacrificed Sons. That song just sends me on a musical high, and I need that break for a few minutes. But not only does it act as a break, it reshifts the focus into that epic.

Octavarium isn't an album with which I have an overall issue. It's just Never Enough. With the two CDs after that I just felt like something was missing. Also, just to clarify, I have no issue with their w**kery personally. I didn't use it as a personal attack against the band. It is just a term I hear used constantly to describe what they do. I could listen to Petrucci and Rudess go off all day long.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 22:18
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

<span id="result_" ="" lang="en"><span ="hps">Dream</span> <span ="hps">theather</span> <span ="hps">was the tip</span> <span ="hps">of a large</span> <span ="hps">iceberg.</span> <span ="hps">
The progressive</span> <span ="hps">metal</span> <span ="hps">as a genre</span> <span ="hps">already showing</span> <span ="hps">good signs</span> <span ="hps atn">in the mid-</span><span>80s and</span> <span ="hps atn">early '</span><span>90s</span><span>,</span> <span ="hps">thanks to bands like</span> <span ="hps">Queenrysche</span><span>,</span> <span ="hps">Watchtower</span><span>,</span> <span ="hps">Psychotic</span> <span ="hps">Waltz,</span> <span ="hps">Fates</span> <span ="hps">Warning,</span> <span ="hps">Sieges Even</span><span>, Death</span><span>,</span> <span ="hps">Mekong</span> <span ="hps">Delta,</span> <span ="hps">etc.</span> <span ="hps">Dream</span> <span ="hps">Theater</span> <span ="hps">was not</span> <span ="hps">a pioneering</span> <span ="hps">band but</span> <span ="hps">helped to consolidate</span> <span ="hps">the progressive</span> <span ="hps">metal.</span>
<span ="hps">Do not</span> <span ="hps">think they</span> <span ="hps">are imitators</span> <span ="hps">but with the departure</span> <span ="hps">of</span> <span ="hps">Kevin</span> <span ="hps">Moore</span> <span ="hps">lost</span> <span ="hps">a lot in</span> <span ="hps">compositional</span> <span ="hps">material.</span>
<span ="hps">They came</span> <span ="hps">at the right time</span><span>,</span> <span ="hps">with a big</span> <span ="hps">record company</span> <span ="hps">(ATCO</span><span>) and a</span> <span ="hps">niche</span> <span ="hps">audience that</span> <span ="hps">expected a</span> <span ="hps">metallic</span> <span ="hps">sound of</span> <span ="hps">bands like</span> <span ="hps">kansas</span> <span ="hps">and</span> <span ="hps">rush.

PD: My english is very primitive
</span></span>

Your english is just fine, don't worry about that (unless some native speaker might want to argue my opinion).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 11:46

Yeah, but you're talking bollocks here, because top ten folks have absolutely no idea what that means and how it applies to a "SONG".

And that is the part of me that says that many of these musicians are the "classical musicians" of my time, because they are doing far more and better things with their music than just a song!

Try that past the top ten world of PA and its lists!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 11:50

Octavarium isn't an album with which I have an overall issue. It's just Never Enough. With the two CDs after that I just felt like something was missing. Also, just to clarify, I have no issue with their w**kery personally. I didn't use it as a personal attack against the band. It is just a term I hear used constantly to describe what they do. I could listen to Petrucci and Rudess go off all day long.

I simply think (book review in the proper section!), that if there is an issue it might be the way they write their music and lyrics, and I'm  wondering if subliminally there is a "separation" that alienates a lot of people that they try to replace with their musical ability ... but it creates a different experience for many people and makes it harder to follow and appreciate.

I do not think that Rudess needs to come off like a Norlander, or Wakeman or Emerson, in other words ... I'M HERE! ... kind of thing, but I do think that he should be less in the background and that too much of the band is on the guitarist ... I think 10% less on the guitar and more on the others would likely make this band a lot better.

That's an idea, though ... please mind that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 23:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I simply think (book review in the proper section!), that if there is an issue it might be the way they write their music and lyrics, and I'm  wondering if subliminally there is a "separation" that alienates a lot of people that they try to replace with their musical ability ... but it creates a different experience for many people and makes it harder to follow and appreciate.

I do not think that Rudess needs to come off like a Norlander, or Wakeman or Emerson, in other words ... I'M HERE! ... kind of thing, but I do think that he should be less in the background and that too much of the band is on the guitarist ... I think 10% less on the guitar and more on the others would likely make this band a lot better.

I agree with your sentiments. I would love Rudess to be more of a contributor and more in the forefront. He is just too damn talented to leave almost hidden.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 21:52

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I agree with your sentiments. I would love Rudess to be more of a contributor and more in the forefront. He is just too damn talented to leave almost hidden.

Yeah, I would like to have some more Rudess within Dream Theater... but specially on piano. I love when he goes into those sort of classic sounding sections. I also loved the jazzy keyboards he contributed for Steven Wilson on Grace for Drowning... I wonder if he could find a way to make some of those work for Dream Theater... perhaps something like that is what DT needs to give some new fresh air to the band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:30

Musicians do cite their influences, and a little bit of listening can help to confirm their influences.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 21:12

John does play part of Flight of the Bumblebee in his solo on the Once in a Livetime live album. But I believe this was also done before by Yngwe Malsteem and I think Manowar as well, so not a new endeavor for a metal guitarist.
Or hardly a new endeavor at all. Playing a a classic piece with a guitar is admittedly impressive, but proves nothing at all. I also wouldn't consider it it an influence. Influence usually involves one artist studying the work of another. Its much more complex than simply being able to play a piece.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>