This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Punk Albums
    Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:51
Sorry, but is like voting for the best British Invasion band and you're stuck with the DC5, but I'll go Clash for lack of anyone better.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:38
As I'm not much of a punk fan, the only one of those three bands that I like is The Clash, so that's where my vote goes. However, my favorite punk(ish) album is The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:35
I have the first and a good chunk of the second on a two disc "Best of". They're alright. I prefer Raw Power by Iggy & The Stooges, personally. Tongue

BTW, for the Clash's choice, are you referring to the original British release or the cobbled together version released two years later in the US?
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 12:53
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

They're all crap.
Didn't people hear the man? he said " They're all crap."
Maybe, but I prefer London Calling to Love Beach, Merci, Camera Camera, Abacab and things of this kind. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 12:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

They're all crap.

I know. Dean's not often wrong.  Still always a first.
Help me I'm falling!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 12:46

They're all crap.

Edited by SteveG - June 14 2014 at 12:48
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 12:12
I haven't listened to the third option, but I love the Sex Pistols, and I don't think the Clash are all they're made out to be
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 03:50
Of the ones in the list I voted for the Damned (partially because of New Rose en because I like the other two albums less).
About the only punk I have are The Ramones (they sound to me more like 50's/60's teenage pop on steroids) and Crass whose first album Feeding of the 5000 is one of my favorite punkalbums.
Follow your bliss
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2014 at 01:37
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I never got why, even after something is "moved", I still see it in the wrong section too.

Punk is inherently bad music. That was even the point for a lot of the bands.

I wouldn't go that far. The original punk bands had energy and could be very exciting but then the reality set in and you had crap like The Ruts getting in the charts. I would argue that the Pistols were a great rock  n roll band but with few ideas. Rotten (Liden) knew that and formed the more interesting PIL. He even got Ginger Baker involved although later disowned the project because his street cred was in dispute presumably. (didn't stop him 'doing lunch' with Keith Emerson thoughEmbarrassed)
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 02:56
I never got why, even after something is "moved", I still see it in the wrong section too.

Punk is inherently bad music. That was even the point for a lot of the bands.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 01:09
London Calling is a great song , as much as I dislike the ethos surrounding the movement there were some great tracks
Gary Gilmore's Eyes - The Adverts
New Rose - The Damned
Anarchy In The UK - Sex Pistols

there was an awful lot of crap though

Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 16:09

They're all crap.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 16:07

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

music?

I suppose if you felt that way, it could go in the general discussion thread? But, anyway you sound like my Dad! Haha! 

I will go with NMTB,HTSP as it still sound good to my (tinnitus affected) ears! 
You can read a lot into the few words I've posted in this thread so far.

The Clash did better things, collectively on London Calling, (though the generations of dire ska-punk white reggae bands it spurned cast a bleak shadow over its legacy) and individually on the various solo projects they've been involved in (even This Is B.A.D. is more listenable than this eponymous Clash offering). The Dammed also did better things and managed to scrape together an album that I find quite enjoyable in the form of The Black Album, something that would be an impossible feat if it were not for Curtain Call, but Dammed! Dammed! Dammed! (okay, okay, okay, I heard you the first time) is plain bloody awful. The Pistols and all the "musicians" that were ever a part of that band never did better things, (anyone who questions this should be locked in a brightly lit sealed room listening to Ghosts of Princes in Towers on repeat until snot bleeds from their ears), thankfully non-musician John Lydon did manage to foist his ego upon us in a form that can be regarded as both interesting and ground-breaking, and for that we can be grateful, (and I don't mean the Country Life adverts). Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Tax Exiles is a second-rate, badly-played Status Quo pastiche that wasn't that great in 1977 and hasn't survived the test of time (it just gets worse with every play). 

Never good to begin with, all three of these albums have aged terribly - as I said before, they are all crap - Punk produced some good stuff, and evolved into even greater stuff, it's just not to be found in this poll.

Cheats , all of them! They heard 'Editions of You', 'Remake-Remodel'and 'Do the Strand' , put stupid metal things up their orifices and blackmailed the media into slaying the pompous asses (yes, prog! Cry) . Frankly, they can sod off! Sid Vicious, musician LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 16:04
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

My favorite sort-of-punk albums:

THE STOOGES - Fun House.
SUICIDE - Suicide.
CHROME - Alien Soundtracks.
SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES - The Scream.
THE POLICE - Outlandos d'Amour.
CABARET VOLTAIRE - Mix Up.
KILLING JOKE - Killing Joke.
BAUHAUS - In The Flat Field.
THE SISTERS OF MERCY - Some Girls Wander By Mistake.
GANG OF FOUR - Solid Gold.
THE BIRTHDAY PARTY - Junkyard.

Sort of? None of those are punk.
What?
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 12:56
My favorite sort-of-punk albums:

THE STOOGES - Fun House.
SUICIDE - Suicide.
CHROME - Alien Soundtracks.
SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES - The Scream.
THE POLICE - Outlandos d'Amour.
CABARET VOLTAIRE - Mix Up.
KILLING JOKE - Killing Joke.
BAUHAUS - In The Flat Field.
THE SISTERS OF MERCY - Some Girls Wander By Mistake.
GANG OF FOUR - Solid Gold.
THE BIRTHDAY PARTY - Junkyard.

Edited by King Only - June 12 2014 at 13:12
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 12:47
"Holidays in the Sun" took my breath away the first time I heard it, and it still grabs me every time.   It was probably the single song that turned me into a punk fan.  Rotten/Lydon's vocal on it is probably the main thing that sets it apart.  He's just brilliant on that whole record.

Still I wouldn't put the album on my top 10 list or anything.  But it did get the ball rolling for me.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 12 2014 at 12:48
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 12:41
The Black Album is pretty average fare in my book saved by 'Curtain Call' took cojones to do that. And the blistering live set - The Damned were sh*t hot live. But, Sensible's a w**ker!.

Edited by akamaisondufromage - June 12 2014 at 12:51
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 12:39

music?

I suppose if you felt that way, it could go in the general discussion thread? But, anyway you sound like my Dad! Haha! 

The Clash did better things, collectively on London Calling, (though the generations of dire ska-punk white reggae bands it spurned cast a bleak shadow over its legacy) and individually on the various solo projects they've been involved in (even This Is B.A.D. is more listenable than this eponymous Clash offering). The Dammed also did better things and managed to scrape together an album that I find quite enjoyable in the form of The Black Album, something that would be an impossible feat if it were not for Curtain Call, but Dammed! Dammed! Dammed! (okay, okay, okay, I heard you the first time) is plain bloody awful. The Pistols and all the "musicians" that were ever a part of that band never did better things, (anyone who questions this should be locked in a brightly lit sealed room listening to Ghosts of Princes in Towers on repeat until snot bleeds from their ears), thankfully non-musician John Lydon did manage to foist his ego upon us in a form that can be regarded as both interesting and ground-breaking, and for that we can be grateful, (and I don't mean the Country Life adverts). Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Tax Exiles is a second-rate, badly-played Status Quo pastiche that wasn't that great in 1977 and hasn't survived the test of time (it just gets worse with every play). 

Never good to begin with, all three of these albums have aged terribly - as I said before, they are all crap - Punk produced some good stuff, and evolved into even greater stuff, it's just not to be found in this poll.

I kind of agree with you when it comes to The Clashes first and probably second albums.  There are one or two tracks I still listen to - mostly 'What's My Name' as it's thumping.  As is the whole if well, almost the whole of the Damned's first album - Neat Neat Neat (What is it with these guys) and New Rose are a couple of the best 'punk records ever by anyone and worth the entrance price alone.  I still enjoy NMTB and I know that deep down its plain old vanilla R & R. But, it has bollocks, and it is vicious. and JR spits his way through. 
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 12:24

music?

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 11:49

music?

Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>