Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould politics return to Prog music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 10:16
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38167
3rd Degree "The Long Division"

Excellent political prog, relevant to the last US Presidential election.
Spears both left and right for rampant hypocrisy.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 11:07

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I love Zappa's political songs, he went after hypocrisy on both sides.  Did he pick on one side more often?  Yes.  He never embraced false equivalency and I think that's what offends a few around here.  They can't handle it so they are dismissive of it.  He wasn't afraid to call particular people or kinds of people out.  His criticisms were always spot on.  If Zappa had been around during the W regime, I'm pretty sure he would have done some scathing songs.  He would have also probably done stuff critical of B and O, but it would have been fair unlike these relentless idiotic attacks that are coming from the opposition. I also find Gentle Giant's The Power And The Glory to be one of my favorite political prog albums.  It has a timeless quality because it speaks truth to power without naming names.In the in end politics in prog music is fine for as long as the music is good.On a side note, I find the title a this thread a little amusing - <h1>Would you like to see politics added to Prog Music</h1>

I think many of us have made the point that it is already there...Confused

I felt that it might be insulting to the members that realise that artists like  Zappa, Gentle Giant, Floyd, KC, etc. stopped producing politically relevant music some time ago or are defunct and that few  have taken their places (which prompted me to post the thread) and include that information in the posting, but I guess that it has to be done for the many who do not.

Edited by SteveG - June 19 2014 at 13:18
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 14:20
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38167
3rd Degree "The Long Division"

Excellent political prog, relevant to the last US Presidential election.
Spears both left and right for rampant hypocrisy.

I agree that it is excellent, though i think they make the same error some others do as regards the extremes of left and right in the US.  There are people on both extremes, but there is a real difference between left and right: on the right many extremists hold national political office, whereas on the left the extremists are locked out of office and spend more time in drum circles.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 17:16
Originally posted by notesworth notesworth wrote:

I'd say no. In the US, everything's split between the Conservative Camp and the Liberal Camp. Almost any choice somebody makes puts them in one camp or the other. We don't need either camp to claim genres of music. They've already claimed TV shows (Duck Dynasty), grocery stores (Whole Foods), restaurants (Chick-Fil-A), etc.

People can write about whatever they want to write about, including political issues. I just don't want to see one of the political camps annex a genre of music.

Also, I'm sick of people equating Christianity with conservatives/Republicans, but that's another issue completely.
I understand your feelings regarding domestic issues but how about world events? Or does that get filed under Not Interrested? LOL
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 22:13
Yours is no Disgrace is the best political song---Don't Kill the Whale---sort of okay.Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 01:29
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Yours is no Disgrace is the best political song---Don't Kill the Whale---sort of okay.Smile

I wouldn't consider that a political song. Also anti-war songs don't count either. Its like saying 'Pizza is tasty'.

I think a political song should get some reaction. I can think of a couple that were regarded as thinly veiled attacks on the USA 
IQ - Harvest Of Souls
Muse - Take A Bow

both good ones as wellTongue
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 01:52
I don't like the idea of a concerted effort to change, and especially not a fan-driven shove, to coerce bands into saying things they didn't already want to say.
Prog is basically about natural progression, yeah?

Coincidentally, if some are not finding their needs met by the music they hear, maybe they should fill that void on their own. Much like the reason many politicians give when asked why they're running for a particular office. Wink

Edited by *frinspar* - June 20 2014 at 02:33
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 08:46
Anyone who thinks that Prog musicians have remained faithful to their political allegiances while operating from within the music industry is surely credulous enough to believe that an antelope would vote for a lion. Ermm
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 09:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Anyone who thinks that Prog musicians have remained faithful to their political allegiances while operating from within the music industry is surely credulous enough to believe that an antelope would vote for a lion. Ermm
Iain, it could be argued that a "cult based" artist like Zappa did not worry about record sales or at least what his record company thought. Isn't much of modern prog music "cult based"? For one example, they release recordings and downloads on their own private labels now.

Edited by SteveG - June 20 2014 at 09:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 09:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Iain, it could be argued that a "cult based" artist like Zappa did not worry about record sales. Isn't much of modern prog music "cult based"?

The only artists that need to worry about record sales are those who don't make sufficient to make their art viable. If you are self employed you can only afford to take a finite amount of losses. For me, as much as i adore some of Zappa's ourput, he actualy embodies the first world capitalistic entrepreneurial 'American Dream' that his political allegiances might have suggested he proffered to abhor? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad his music is available to buy but if it didn't sell sufficient units it would either be abandoned completely or be entirely at the mercy of state controlled art subsidy (like much contemporary classical music)
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 09:31
I would prefer music about politics over music about sex, drugs, alcohol, and women (or men). Still, lyrics don't usually ruin a song for me. Someone mentioned 'The Great Debate' from Dream Theater. Prime example. Whatever message they seemed to try to convey there fell flat, but I do like the song. On the other hand, their religion-themed songs turned out much better. Blind Faith, In the Name of God, Sacrificed Sons (though a bit bland lyrically) are definitely some of my favorites from them.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 09:38

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Iain, it could be argued that a "cult based" artist like Zappa did not worry about record sales. Isn't much of modern prog music "cult based"?

The only artists that need to worry about record sales are those who don't make sufficient to make their art viable. If you are self employed you can only afford to take a finite amount of losses. For me, as much as i adore some of Zappa's ourput, he actualy embodies the first world capitalistic entrepreneurial 'American Dream' that his political allegiances might have suggested he proffered to abhor? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad his music is available to buy but if it didn't sell sufficient units it would either be abandoned completely or be entirely at the mercy of state controlled art subsidy (like much contemporary classical music)
Glad to see you expand on your original statement. It gives one more to think about. Particularly in regard to some artists being hypocritical.

Edited by SteveG - June 20 2014 at 09:55
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 09:59

I've yet to work out the political significance of a purple wolfhound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:02
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I would prefer music about politics over music about sex, drugs, alcohol, and women (or men). Still, lyrics don't usually ruin a song for me. Someone mentioned 'The Great Debate' from Dream Theater. Prime example. Whatever message they seemed to try to convey there fell flat, but I do like the song. On the other hand, their religion-themed songs turned out much better. Blind Faith, In the Name of God, Sacrificed Sons (though a bit bland lyrically) are definitely some of my favorites from them.

I'm puzzled as to what you actually thinks constitutes 'politics' i.e your post indicates that' you would prefer a level  playing field freed  from the constraints of sexual attraction and altered mental states facilitated by external stimulants/'depressants. i think the notion that neutrality v subjectivity as espoused by  something as delusional as say, 'straight edge' might actually offer some sort of solipsistic perspective as to the value of abstinence.Then again, you might think that sobriety offers alternative perspectives.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:03
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've yet to work out the political significance of a purple wolfhound.
It's very similiar to a Yellow Matter Custard. Trust me.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:16

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I'm puzzled as to what you actually thinks constitutes 'politics' i.e your post indicates that' you would prefer a level  playing field freed  from the constraints of sexual attraction and altered mental states facilitated by external stimulants/'depressants. i think the notion that neutrality v subjectivity as espoused by  something as delusional as say, 'straight edge' might actually offer some sort of solipsistic perspective as to the value of abstinence.Then again, you might think that sobriety offers alternative perspectives.
I think the OP might fall into the same trap that we all do at times of divorcing politics in the mind from sex, work relationships and the like and concentrate only on government issues, rights issues, religion, etc. or not realise that they are intrinsically related to some degree.

Edited by SteveG - June 20 2014 at 10:26
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 12:03
Unlike folk music prog doesn't really have an illustrious history of engaging with actual politics in a mature and serious way (c.f. punk which knows it stands for something but isn't quite sure what it is). Peart, like many libertarians, seems to write in an abstract universe safe from the buffeting of real events. Zappa's ever-regressing sense of humour undercut his satirical edge. The British bands of the 70s basically avoided political engagement so as not to get slammed for their perceived poshness, and the hints of engagement they offered don't really stand up to scrutiny.

As serious political prog goes - Art Bears' 'The World As It Is Today' is a substantial piece of intelligent communist savagery underneath Fred Frith's multi-instrumental reign of terror. Roy Harper's expansive work in the prog folk arena, such as McGoohan's Blues, The Lord's Prayer or the much later Burn The World and Rushing Camelot illustrate his rather peculiar blend of spirituality and politics. I think Genesis' Selling England and the rather visionary Get 'Em Out By Friday have that political tint but it's abstract/sci-fi rather than direct engagement. Roger Waters' real foray into politics comes with (in my view rather touching) The Final Cut sort of after Pink Floyd's real supremacy as a prog band fizzles out and it becomes more of a singer-songwriter affair.

Suppose what i'm trying to suggest is that prog has never really had more than a passing interest in actual politics (as opposed to social commentary, which is related but not really the same) unless you go out into the more independent art rock/RIO scene. Serious political prog would delight me, if only for its novelty, but I might be alone in that.

As long as it's not just wishy washy banalities that everyone agrees with anyway. I want some ridiculous unsupportable political views in there.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 12:26
Originally posted by notesworth notesworth wrote:

I'd say no. In the US, everything's split between the Conservative Camp and the Liberal Camp. Almost any choice somebody makes puts them in one camp or the other. We don't need either camp to claim genres of music. They've already claimed TV shows (Duck Dynasty), grocery stores (Whole Foods), restaurants (Chick-Fil-A), etc.

People can write about whatever they want to write about, including political issues. I just don't want to see one of the political camps annex a genre of music.

Also, I'm sick of people equating Christianity with conservatives/Republicans, but that's another issue completely.

in re: Whole Foods, i wonder which 'side' you are putting them on?  The majority/owner CEO of Whole Foods is kind of a nutbag, with a whole 'Obama is like Hitler' thing going on...so while the people who shop there might be liberals, its more because of where their stores are, since the company is itself in the very extreme reality-free right wing (as opposed to the reality-based right wing, which i still think exists somewhere)

it wasn't just people who decided to try and equate christianity and republicans, it was the republican party who decided to push for that, and people went along, much to the detriment of christians and republicans...

i'd like to see more historical political prog...concept album about the american whig party and its downfall, or the Reform Bill of 1832 in parliament...keep prog obscure!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 13:32
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

As Daevid Allen says 'Rock n' Roll is - Opium for the People' 

Where you can forget everything and go through like in a stupor and not understanding and knowing anything.

Enjoy the dope!

Tongue

And that is the part that is hard to deal with. Some folks think that a mindless song about nothing is more important than a song about politics, or philosophy or medicine or whatever.

I think that we're all looking for different grains of sand in the beach, and as such, we will not only NOT get anywhere, it will be impossible for anyone to agree on anything!

Confused

There are other subtleties in various pieces that are not readily discussed.

1. AD2 - Made fun of Adolf Hitler twice - both in satirical moments

2. Guru Guru - Maybe you should take a look at the last song in "Tango Fango" ... and realize that politics here are not a bunch of words that sound stupid. They can also be a fun song that unites people, instead of separating them!

Edited by moshkito - June 20 2014 at 13:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 13:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

As Daevid Allen says 'Rock n' Roll is - Opium for the People' 

Where you can forget everything and go through like in a stupor and not understanding and knowing anything.

Enjoy the dope!

Tongue

And that is the part that is hard to deal with. Some folks think that a mindless song about nothing is more important than a song about politics, or philosophy or medicine or whatever.

I think that we're all looking for different grains of sand in the beach, and as such, we will not only NOT get anywhere, it will be impossible for anyone to agree on anything!

Confused
It may be a valid opinion but it maybe only your opinion. We cannot force Prog music to become more political with these discussions but perhaps we can learn something about the other members of the Prog fan community. It may not seem like a great accomplishment at the moment but perhaps it will in time. Keep the faith.

Edited by SteveG - June 20 2014 at 13:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>