Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKant Freud Kafka (Spain): Symphonic Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kant Freud Kafka (Spain): Symphonic Prog?
    Posted: June 18 2014 at 13:14
Note the question mark in the topic title...  Embarrassed  This album visits a variety of subs to be honest, but I reckon there's enough of a symphonic vibe going on overall to be worth Iván's men taking a look (listen), since they don't get that many suggestions thrown their way these days.

"Kant Freud Kafka is the prog rock project of Javi Herrera, a drummer, singer and composer from Barcelona. "No tengas miedo", KFK's first record, is a story about light and darkness, fear and anger, expressed through music - symphonic progressive rock. The music is deeply influenced by 45 years of prog rock and also by classical music, with hints of jazz and even funk. Sounds like a mix of everything, but resembles nothing in particular."

And from facebook (translated): https://www.facebook.com/kantfreudkafka:

“No Tengas miedo” was born many years ago in the late 80s, from a disturbing story written by a friend in order to exorcise her fear of darkness. The project, after many years forgotten, has finally achieved maturity, being partially rewritten and revived by a vital need which was always present - of capturing it on a record in first place - and then sharing it with others.  It has been recorded both with the aid of the vast array of virtual instruments that are now available through modern technology, and also an ensemble of traditional classical instruments - like oboe, cor anglais, flute, violin, viola, cello, clarinet and Spanish guitar - of course along with guitars, bass and drums. A trip to the dreamy world of Dama and Adah, to the conflict between darkness and light.

Sub Genre: Symphonic, Classical
Release date: May 16, 2014

Tracklist:
1. Principio  (07:44)
2. Dama  (12:33)
3. Viajes  (07:52)
4. Antítesis  (16:02)
5. Hombre  (10:55)

Total Time 55:06

Line-up:
- Javi Herrera / drums, percussion , keyboards programming, vocals

With
- Lluěs Cabal / viola (2, 4)
- Esteve Cardús / flute (2-5)
- Gora Casado / 12 string guitar (2)
- Alia Herrera / violin (2)
- Andrea Herrera / flute (3, 4)
- Gemma Llorens / cello (2-4)
- Xavi Padillo / clarinet (2)
- Alejandro Pérez / Spanish guitar (2, 4)
- Xavi Pińol / oboe, English horn (2-5)
- Jordi Frontóns (Franc Albir) / Moog synthesizer (3)
- Jordi Porcar / bass (3, 4)
- Pol Sánchez / electric (1-5) and acoustic (2, 5) guitars
- Toni Sánchez / bass (1, 2)
- Dick Them / bass (5)
- Pep Mendoza / guitars (1)
 -Ewa Pyrek / violin (2, 4)

Full album on bandcamp: http://kantfreudkafka.bandcamp.com/

Cool

Edit: Svetonio was actually on to this album as soon as it was released (bandcamp recommendations): http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69197&PID=4995205#4995205, but it hasn't been taken beyond that as far as I'm aware.

Edited by yam yam - June 18 2014 at 13:20
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 13:21
Stumbled across this combo on bandcamp a week ago, they remind me of KOTEBEL and KARDA ESTRA, which are both in symphonic here.Nice proposal Dave.Thumbs Up
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 13:25
Do you want to drop a line in the symphonic team thread, Apostolis? Iván or Scott will probably find it anyway with the word 'symphonic' in the topic title, but it'll get looked at quicker with a hint from you!  Embarrassed
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 13:59
mission accomplished, passed to the symphonicsThumbs Up

Edited by apps79 - June 18 2014 at 13:59
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 14:02
Good man!   Approve
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 07:58
WOW. I Love this album. 100% Symphonic Prog  (IMO).
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 01:35
Just received the mail from the last member of the team.

1.- HT: I think I heard enough rock to call it prog, but it is close.
2.- SouthSideoftheSky: I'm sceptical after having heard those three clips. The third did hold some progressive Rock, but the first two did not; rather some kind of World-Fusion
3.- Scott: No, NOT symphonic
4.- Myself: Not Symphonic, proggy, maybe Crossover but closer to Prog Related IMHO

So not accepted in Symphonic.

Sorry

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 22 2014 at 01:35

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 08:12
Unhappy Sorry guys. I forgot that Ivan never like " 100% ". I Used "100%" and this is my fault !!!! KANT FREUD KAFKA isn't "ROCK" and isn't prog!! and never forget that KARDA ESTRA is "ROCK" and "PROGRESSIVE" . Hmmm Hmmmmm ROCK? Hmmmmm ROCK? ................Confused
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:09
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Unhappy Sorry guys. I forgot that Ivan never like " 100% ". I Used "100%" and this is my fault !!!! KANT FREUD KAFKA isn't "ROCK" and isn't prog!! and never forget that KARDA ESTRA is "ROCK" and "PROGRESSIVE" . Hmmm Hmmmmm ROCK? Hmmmmm ROCK? ................Confused

Wait a moment: We are not here to decide of a band if added because of your opinion, to be honest, we only work based in OUR opinion.

We don't care if you believe it's 100, 50 or 10% Prog, we care for what we believe as a team

We are a team and want to add as much bands as possible

Four members of the team have voted that it's not Symphonic, we all believe it has a relation with Prog, but maybe with Crossover

We believe it's more a form of Neo Classical, with Fusion and Heavy moments.

I won't even reply about Karda Estra, because I don't care for any argument that says "If "A" why not "B". 

If you don't like it bad luck for you, we do our work, we give our honest opinion and even if you don't agree, we know what we do. 

PS: Proggnosis has added them as Symphonic, but reading their description, I don't understand their perspective

They say

Quote The music is deeply influenced by 45 years of prog rock and also by classical music, with hints of jazz and even funk. Sounds like a mix of everything, but resembles nothing in particular.

http://www.proggnosis.com/ARTIST_Detail.aspx?AID=11848

Exactly what we believe, It's classical, Jazz, funk, light Prog, a bit of everything, but here in ProgArchives we  don´'t fall in contradictions, if it's a Jazz, Classical, funk, Neo Classical and Prog combo, it is not Symphonic.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 22 2014 at 16:48

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 09:13
NO! I NEVER TRY TO FORCED MY OPINION SPECIALLY IN "PA". AND I dont want talk about sub-gen of this band. Symphonic or eclectic or... I don't care. I talk about my opinion in PA freely. I never like KARDA ESTRA . I have most of their albums but never like them. IMO their music far from ROCK music . You said : "I won't even reply about Karda Estra, because I don't care for any argument that says "If "A" why not "B".I agree with you.It's reasonable. What is your refrence Ivan? 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 09:35
Ooohhhhh. A fight with Ivan......we haven't had one of those in a long while.

For those of you tempted to place a bet on the outcome of this latest bout, and are under eighteen ŷears old, please remember to ask the permission of your special guardian person (mum or dadWink) prior to placing said wager.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 10:52
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

For those of you tempted to place a bet on the outcome of this latest bout, and are under eighteen ŷears old, please remember to ask the permission of your special guardian person (mum or dadWink) prior to placing said wager.

It's not a fight Laz

It's only that I defend the opinion of my team.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 10:56

NO! I NEVER TRY TO FORCED MY OPINION SPECIALLY IN "PA". AND I dont want talk about sub-gen of this band. Symphonic or eclectic or... I don't care. I talk about my opinion in PA freely. I never like KARDA ESTRA . I have most of their albums but never like them. IMO their music far from ROCK music . You said : "I won't even reply about Karda Estra, because I don't care for any argument that says "If "A" why not "B".I agree with you.It's reasonable. What is your refrence Ivan? 

You are not giving your opinion, 

This is clearly an "If "A" why not "B" argument.

Iván

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 11:18
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It's not a fight Laz

It's only that I defend the opinion of my team.

It was a joke. On a long train journey, I have a need to do something amusing and diverting.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 15:06
I must explain again. As I said before I don't care about sub gen and never fight to Ivan. I always respect to Ivan and his opinion. I Talked about ROCK music and KARDA ESTRA not compare K.F.K and KARDA ESTRA. I am 45 years old man (male!!!). I love PROGRESSIVE ROCK music over 30 years and pay money and time for it. My English isn't good. Maybe this make misunderstanding. 
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 15:14

Iván

As I said before IN My Opinion K.F.K is a ROCK band and symphonic prog. BUT  I dont want fight for this.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 15:54

Iván

As I said before IN My Opinion K.F.K is a ROCK band and symphonic prog. BUT  I dont want fight for this.

No fight, we welcome opinions.

But when people question why we accept one and reject another, that honestly bothers me.

For us Karda Estra is Symphonic and  K.F.K. not..

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 07:47

Can't we just label it as Eclectic? This album is too committed to the complexities and eclectic boldness of prog tradition to be just Crossover or Prog-related. 

Welll... thank you for reading. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 09:07
For anyone else with an interest in seeing this artist added, I would like to point you in the direction of a glowing review of the album posted by Jez Rowden at The Progressive Aspect just a few days after I made the original suggestion: http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog/2014/06/26/kant-freud-kafka-no-tengas-miedo/. Embarrassed

César, if you think it's worth asking the Eclectic team to take a listen, then as an SC you have access to that part of the forum, and you could certainly mention it in their team thread. I still strongly believe this is PA material, and would love to see this artist added somewhere.  Smile
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 09:56
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

Can't we just label it as Eclectic? This album is too committed to the complexities and eclectic boldness of prog tradition to be just Crossover or Prog-related. 

Welll... thank you for reading. 

Maybe you right. I found some Jazz Rock Elements in their music (IMO). Its nearest to eclectic than Symphonic Prog. I afraid to talk about them more because my English isn't good . Maybe Ivan waiting to hunt me again!!Wink
Xover or Prog-Related isn't fair IMO. as you said  "This album is too committed to the complexities and eclectic boldness of prog tradition to be just Crossover or Prog-related. " Specially Prog-Related!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>