FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGIGANTOUR Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: GIGANTOUR Review
    Posted: August 09 2005 at 11:53

OK, this is a partial review because I really only went to see Symphony X and Dream Theater. Symphony X played on the "Second Stage" which means a small outdoor crowd and no real light show (it was still light outside). Russel Allen is strong on his vocals live. The highlight, musically, was Michael Romeo on guitar. Some nice leads. However, the guitar just about had to be the highlight... because the song selection for the Gigantour tour did not feature much proggy, keyboard-heavy stuff (think of the intro to The Odyssey). Overall, they were tight and definately polished. Also - I got to get autographs & shake hands with the band... when asked "When is the new album coming out", Romeo replied "We're working on it !".

Dream Theater was the headliner as far as I was concerned... we did not stay for the actual headliners Megadeth. They played a 90 minute set and strung songs together into sometimes 20 minute jams. I thought LaBrie's vocals were right on - I was worried at first. Of course, due to the overall Heavy Metal slant of the tour... DT played their heaviest new stuff which lead to some vocals that were not his trademark soaring high sound... but his "mean" sound... all a matter of taste I guess. Petrucci was technically great, but he really did not even look up at the audiance. Mike Portney more than made up for it because he can't seem to sit down for very long. He doesn't act all serious like Neil Peart - that's for sure!. Jorden Rudess was not really featured like I had hoped (metal oriented set). To me - John Myung stole the show.. his bass solo in Metropolis was perfect and he did about 40% two-handed tapping like his bass was a Stick.

Best comment of the night.... Me: "How do like that Bass player?" My Wife: "He looks like that little girl that came out of the well in The Ring!"  Ha Ha.

OVERALL - I can't wait for the Octavarium tour for some more proggy songs, and, I'm impressed with how down-to-earth Symphony X was when meeting them.

If it's worth playing, it's worth playing loud!
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 12:17

sweet deal.

I'll be seeing the show in pittsburgh next wednesday.  did you happen to see Fear Factory or Dillinger Escape Plan at all?  I'm looking forward to them as well.

also: where did you meet symphony x?  is there a good place to go to meet the bands (or did you have a special pass or something?)

http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Single Coil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 13:11

Didn't see Dillenger Escape Plan, they we over when I got there. I saw about 1/2 of Fear Factory's set. I really didn't get into them that much, but I was never that wild about their singer. They weren't bad sounding - just heavier/harder than I really like.

Most, if not all of the second stage bands had a signing session... they'd come inside after their set and sit at a table. I bought a CD before I got in line for them to sign. That's what they were encouraging people to do... but when Symphony X got there, they signed other stuff too. They also let people snap a quick cell-phone pic or two with them. Later I noticed people lining up for Fear Factory autographs - and they were a "main stage" band.... not sure about DT, they seem to famous for that, since it was just out in the hallway around the arena.

If it's worth playing, it's worth playing loud!
undefinability View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 04:09

Oh, man, I wish I could have gone to one of the shows. The only reasons for my, also, were Symphony X and Dream Theater. . . damn.

"Don't listen to me."

[IMG]http://www.freewebs.com/shahath/shadowid.jpg">
Sideshow Bob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 03:37
Hi, Single Coil, I'm new in the forum...and i'll be seeing this show at Toronto, September 3rd.
I'd like to know which songs you saw DT play, if possible you tell me, of course
Thanx.
=/
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 18:00
I missed it i feel like crap
i could not get the money and my car died on me!!
Symphiny X was even going to play!

KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 18:02
Originally posted by Single Coil Single Coil wrote:

Best comment of the night.... Me: "How do like that Bass player?" My Wife: "He looks like that little girl that came out of the well in The Ring!"  Ha Ha.

Damn, thats what i think when I see him
hes pretty spooky indeed
 Post Reply Post Reply