Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Prog album is the most personally important?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat Prog album is the most personally important?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Prog album is the most personally important?
    Posted: June 30 2014 at 08:52
Last week I created a poll between Rush's albums A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres as both albums were personally important works to me as well as being musically important and felt that only other PA members could objectively pick the best of these two acclaimed albums. Would any members care to share with PA any prog albums that hold personal significance to them and why? (the why is totally optional.)

Edited by SteveG - June 30 2014 at 18:05
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 10:48
Choirs
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 11:28
Besides the sentimental feeling towards Rush, the band that really got me into progressive music and started my interesting in older rock music, i would say The Mars Volta.

I got into them my freshman year of high school and just really connected with Frances the Mute overall. Not sure how to explain the feels but when you have a band that you enjoy and connect with so much the time spent with their albums transcends just listening to music. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 11:33
At the risk of losing my prog membership card. The three that hold the most meaning are Genesis' s/t album, Abacab and 90125 as these were the first three prog-ish albums I heard when I was 14 and they got me started on a lifetime of spending tons of cash on music. Although there are by far better albums out there in music, and by those two bands in particular, those three will always hold a special place for me.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 12:06
Maybe on the fringes of prog, but Kid A is probably the most important album to me. I remember one time, I had been participating in a composition workshop pouring days and nights into a thirty second piece. I was exhausted and tired of music in general. I explained my predicament to a friend and he offered to let me use his phone to relax and listen to music (I didn't have an iPod with me). All he had was the entire Radiohead discography. I listened to Kid A. Radiohead was already my favorite band and Kid A my favorite album, but this time I connected with their music like no other time in my life. I was inspired to put what I made aside, and write something without the limit of genre or standard notation (neither of which I am against, but eschewing it for the time being was helpful to me learning how to express through music). From this point on, I simply wrote music. I didn't draw lines between pop and classical, romantic and avant-garde, and simply tried to learn how to be an artist. I enjoy making music a lot more having had that experience with Kid A and still get inspired whenever I listen to it.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 12:34
Triumvirat's two albums Illusions On A Double Dimple and Spartacus. Not only are they my favorite progressive records, but Illusions was my gateway to prog album for me, the first real progressive album I had and loved, and inspired me to investigate prog in general. (that occurred in 1985) When I heard Spartacus for the first time 3 years later, I knew I had stumbled across what would permanently be my favorite band, and that my exploration into progressive rock would continue to this very day. 
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 12:38
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd. There's a lot of music out there I would not have gotten into, let alone enjoyed, had I not picked up this album first. It blew my mind the first time I listened to it and led me to get into more experimental stuff and material that was out of my comfort zone at the time.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 12:49
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd. There's a lot of music out there I would not have gotten into, let alone enjoyed, had I not picked up this album first. It blew my mind the first time I listened to it and led me to get into more experimental stuff and material that was out of my comfort zone at the time.
Almost the same for me, plus Atom Heart Mother
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 13:00
The Wall methinks. I listened to that album incessantly for two years and it got me listening to music that was more intellectually loaded and with a wider array of styles.

Btw Steve, I moved this to top 10s and lists. If any thread asks for personal faves or just call on people to name/list a specific set of albums or indeed album, then it's here you post it
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 13:45
may feel out of place, but its actually a compilation (*gasp!*) from Yes called The Ultimate Yes. it made me into becoming the huge Yes fan i am today and got me into the prog world. HOWEVER, Rush was the first prog band i knew a song from (YYZ from GH2) and loved those guys first.
Progrockdude
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 18:13
I would have to say that Yes, Genesis, and Tull albums from 1971-1973 constitute my musical core. Picking any one album, however, would be impossible.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 19:17
The Strawbs Hero & Heroine as well as all the Roxy Music studio albums. Just love that stuff so much, saving my life so many times, I stopped counting.....
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 21:01
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The Wall methinks. I listened to that album incessantly for two years and it got me listening to music that was more intellectually loaded and with a wider array of styles.

That was the first and only prog album my mom ever bought for me

she described it as being hit in the head with a board over and over again
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 21:14
I have many bands that were important to me, but picking one album would be impossible. I'm indebted to Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush, Marillion, and King Crimson. These were the bands that really opened my ears to progressive rock and what it had to offer.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 21:30
Several but a few that come to mind for me are:

Yes-relayer

Porcupine Tree-Lightbulb Sun (very important album to me. I saw the tour but also I played it right before I moved out of my mom's house).

Marillion- Clutching at Straws. This album got me through some tough times.

As for Rush I'd say "hemispheres."

Edited by Prog_Traveller - June 30 2014 at 21:31
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 21:31
Harmonium - L'heptade
Peter Hammill - Everyone You Hold
Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 22:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Last week I created a poll between Rush's albums A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres as both albums were personally important works to me as well as being musically important and felt that only other PA members could objectively pick the best of these two acclaimed albums. Would any members care to share with PA any prog albums that hold personal significance to them and why? (the why is totally optional.)

Steve G,
I have too many, but right now Trespass comes to mind by Genesis, it's brilliant and gives me chicken skin (goose bumps).
Also the knife is one of my ultimate tracks but besides this all tracks are too good. hugs xxxxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 22:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Steve G,
I have too many, but right now Trespass comes to mind by Genesis, it's brilliant and gives me chicken skin (goose bumps).
Also the knife is one of my ultimate tracks but besides this all tracks are too good. hugs xxxxxx
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 01:17
Tarkus without doubt. I loved fantasy and Marvel comics and this music seems closest to those things. You could lose yourself in it especially with headphones. That created my love of prog rock.
Some years after that I would say IQ - The Wake became a very important personal statement, I could connect spiritually as well as emotionally with that also to a lessor extent with Tales From The Lush Attic.
Beyond that Rush became a very important band to me as I became (hopefully) more emotionally secure and mature. It may sound strange but it was the album Roll The Bones that resonated most with me although I would name Counterparts and Test For Echo as well.
More recently I might go for  Muse - Absolution as having songs that resonate with me. It has that very English aggression and questioning of authority that I can relate to.
Should also mention that Floyds The Wall was very important to me growing up but less so now.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 14:17
^I was a bit older when Pink Floyd's The Wall came out so I was mainly interested in the album for it's wild concept and fantastic sound. Why do you suppose it struck a chord with so many young people when it was released?

Edited by SteveG - July 01 2014 at 14:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>