Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWould you rather A. Your favorite prog albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 23:17
I would like my favorite Prog songs / albums to always change from old ones that I get tired of to new ones that I'm not tired of, but are even better than the old ones that I'm tired of. Unfortunately this is not possible. If I were 15 years old right now I'd probably be just as exited about Major Parkinson's Twilight Cinema as I was about Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick when I was 15. But I'm 54. I will never be that excited again about anything.

The reality is I heard the aforementioned Major Parkinson album and was immediately smitten, and enjoyed it thoroughly for about 8 listens and now I'm done.

The only solution to this problem I have come up with is to make my own music, which I like better than anyone else's. Works great!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 23:17
Some one said 42 and that might be correct............
seriously I get what he's driving at and my favorite albums and groups will never change but I constantly add new ones to the list.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 19:00
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Would you rather A. Your favorite prog albums/songs remain the same for a long time.B. Your favorite prog albums/songs change a lot from time to time.I'm certainly B and it feels great.  There is strong reason for me to keep collecting albums.

Are you perhaps talking about new versions or re-interpretations of earlier fave classics?

No.  I'm talking about your list of favorite albums, do you want it to change a lot, or do you want it to stay the same.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 19:14
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

No.  I'm talking about your list of favorite albums, do you want it to change a lot, or do you want it to stay the same.

My list of favorite albums (say top 10) change whether I want it to or not. Sometimes I tire of an album that I've liked in the past. And sometimes an album just sounds better on that day because of how I feel. In an overall sense, my list of favorite albums is ever growing. 

From an economic standpoint, I suppose I would prefer just to have a set of favorite albums and be happy with them so I don't spend $$. Wink   
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 20:34
My favorites have remained favorites fora a long time, i.e. I haven't fallen out of love with them, but I do occasionally add a new one to the list if it's particularly strong. I guess it depends how many you count as your favorites. There is only one post 1989 album in my top 10 but there's about 20 in my top 50. Three or four of those are from the last 5 years.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 11:30
Hi,

I just have this funny idea that if you are worrying about it being the same, or different, that you are not listening to music, and then I want to ask ... what's the point?

Go to a dance club or something where the pounding bass sound is the same! Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 00:53
I wake up every morning in a cold sweat . WHY WHY are Close To The Edge and Brain Salad Surgery still there?? AAARGGHH!. Please change otherwise I may go insane. Or not.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I just have this funny idea that if you are worrying about it being the same, or different, that you are not listening to music, and then I want to ask ... what's the point?

Go to a dance club or something where the pounding bass sound is the same! Tongue

If it's always the same, it would be hard to participate in PA discussions because you would not have heard many albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12