FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums You Don't Like That You Should

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 15:30
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Oh, sweet, what a marvelous place to vent :)

CTTE - half of it is uninteresting

TAAB - no idea how one could listen to it more than twice

ITCOCK - half of it sounds like a demo tape by a no-composer, no-lyricist, no-singer band. Could have been of interest, had it come a few years before Sgt. Pepper.

All VdGG, summarily, is awful :)

Dream Theater, Rush and other heavy people that are often discussed and praised here despite having few or no prog credentials. Miles Davis is not prog either.

Most of Italian prog is unoriginal

Most of Zeuhl and Krautrock registers with me as "low quality music"

The 2000's Porcupine Tree was great; Steven Wilson is not.
Did you read the thread title? And are you even OK with the idea of prog having many different flavors?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 07 2014 at 15:37
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 17:51
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Oh, sweet, what a marvelous place to vent :)CTTE - half of it is uninterestingTAAB - no idea how one could listen to it more than twice
ITCOCK - half of it sounds like a demo tape by a no-composer, no-lyricist, no-singer band. Could have been of interest, had it come a few years before Sgt. Pepper.
All VdGG, summarily, is awful:)
Dream Theater, Rush and other heavy people that are often discussed and praised here despite having few or no prog credentials. Miles Davis is not prog either. 
Most of Italian prog is unoriginal
Most of Zeuhl and Krautrock registers with me as "low quality music"The 2000's Porcupine Tree was great; Steven Wilson is not. 

All VdGG, summarily, is awful? How utterly laughable. Look into a strong laxative.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 19:53
For me such creatures don't exist.  Either I like an album or I am indifferent.  There is nothing out there that I should like.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 11:03
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Laterlaus by Tool. A Crim freak recommended me to them at around the time both bands toured together. Honestly I tried really hard and I wanted to like the album but:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=174773

Yep, that's the one. The band in general bores me silly, but Lateralus as a supposed masterpiece just makes me cringe. 
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 13:20
These albums have already been mentioned:

• The Wall by Pink Floyd (although I like about six tracks of it, I find the rest of it boring)
  • In A Glass House by Gentle Giant
  • If I Could Do It... by Caravan
  • A Passion Play by Jethro Tull
I'm crazy about The Polite Force by Egg, which is probably in my top 10 of all time favorite albums of any band, but I don't like Egg's debut album nor The Civil Surface

I do like Close To The Edge, but it's my least favorite of all the Yes albums of the 1970's.

Taste can be a strange thing, eh? Smile
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 13:40
For me, The Road Of Bones is really bad. But it's really high on the top 100. WTF ?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by floflo79 floflo79 wrote:

For me, The Road Of Bones is really bad. But it's really high on the top 100. WTF ?
I like IQ and I don't think it's bad ....but I don't think it's as good as Dark Matter or Frequency.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 15:01
All of the 80s UK neo-proggers (Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, etc.). They have all of the ingredients of prog but to me they sound weak, meandering and unmelodious.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 15:08
Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

All of the 80s UK neo-proggers (Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, etc.). They have all of the ingredients of prog but to me they sound weak, meandering and unmelodious.

That's an interesting comment since many think their strong suit is their use of melody and structure while other more eclectic and experimental  prog   bands have  less melody and structure.
Perhaps the only similar genre that has as much melody would be symphonic prog.

Edited by dr wu23 - August 09 2014 at 15:08
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 15:51
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Laterlaus by Tool. A Crim freak recommended me to them at around the time both bands toured together. Honestly I tried really hard and I wanted to like the album but:http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=174773

Yep, that's the one. The band in general bores me silly, but Lateralus as a supposed masterpiece just makes me cringe. 

Well is there any Tool fan out there who could recommend THE go to album by the group?
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 09:22
Relayer. The 'grey eminence' of the Yes catalogue, their return to form, with a bit of fusion thrown in, I should like it.

I don't like it.
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 12:40
I was listening to some vinyl and browsing the forums, and by coincidence I was spinning to 'Olias of Sunhillow' at the time I came across this thread. I absolutely adore the artwork and the book in the sleeve, but I just can't get on with the music. It's highly regarded, and it is often said to be the best of the yes solo albums of that time, but I really don't get it. I can't find any structure or memorable melodies, it basically being ambiance with virtually no variation throughout the run time. Personally, I can't escape the feeling that it sounds like someone sat on the high end of a keyboard, wobbled around a bit for forty minutes and recorded it badly.

Edited by Hnrz - August 10 2014 at 12:52
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 12:55
Originally posted by Hnrz Hnrz wrote:

I was listening to some vinyl and browsing the forums, and by coincidence I was spinning to 'Olias of Sunhillow' at the time I came across this thread. I absolutely adore the artwork and the book in the sleeve, but I just can't get on with the music. It's highly regarded, and it is often said to be the best of the yes solo albums of that time, but I really don't get it. I can't find any structure or memorable melodies, it basically being ambiance with virtually no variation throughout the run time. Personally, I can't escape the feeling that it sounds like someone sat on the high end of a keyboard, wobbled around a bit for forty minutes and recorded it badly.

I feel the same way about Olias and I have to say I also don't really care for TFTO; other than side 1 of Tales I simply can't get all the way through the other sides without being bored. and I have had Tales on vinyl since it came out .
Confused
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 12:58

You and me both, brother. I read somewhere that it was the most financially successful Yes solo album, but I don't get it. The thing just falls flat. Long live Squire's Fish Out of Water!
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 13:03
I'm fairly tepid about Wish You Were Here and Selling England By The Pound. Don't get the giddy love VdGG fans have for the run of Least . . . to Godbluff that are constantly touted. I don't even care about hearing the rest of their output I'm so unmoved. Agree that A Passion Play is mostly one long bit of noodling.
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 13:21
Good to know I'm not alone! There aren't actually many bad reviews for Olias on here. 'Lucky Seven' beats Olias all by itself!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 13:25
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Laterlaus by Tool. A Crim freak recommended me to them at around the time both bands toured together. Honestly I tried really hard and I wanted to like the album but:http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=174773 
 Well is there any Tool fan out there who could recommend THE go to album by the group?
It appears to me that judging by what you guys have said, their brand of prog is a-take-it-or-leave-it thing.

Even though I'm not really a fan of the band, Ænima is my personal favorite, as some of the tracks on it actually sound quite impressive to me. Things like "Jimmy" and "Third Eye" - mind-crushing. Not mind-blowing. Mind-crushing. And then there are other classic Tool songs on that same album, so I didn't go wrong when I bought it.
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

Relayer. ... I should like it. 

I don't like it.
Same feeling here. Nearly everything is wrong on that album:

- Nearly everything on it is electric
 - The sitar is not my friend
 - I miss the Western folk elements on the album
 - There's a serious shortage of melodies
 - The way fusion was incorporated into Yes' symph sound - wyeh!
 - Like on Fragile, Howe's guitar that doesn't sound sharp, rending - that's rather unsatisfying
 - The material on the album sounds forced, as if the band was trying to impress us

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 10 2014 at 13:40
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 13:32
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I feel the same way about Olias and I have to say I also don't really care for TFTO; other than side 1 of Tales I simply can't get all the way through the other sides without being bored. and I have had Tales on vinyl since it came out .
Confused

Tales is very bloated and while many give it masterpiece status there are many who can't even get through it. A controversial record for sure. Olias has never clicked with me despite many efforts on my part to appreciate it. So I agree that both albums just aren't that good, imo of course.Big smile
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 07:35
In Absentia.   Apparently I am supposed to love this album, but I just cannot.

Dark Side of the Moon.  Never did anything for me, ever.  All surface no depth.

IMHO of course....
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 07:52
Originally posted by ergaster ergaster wrote:

In Absentia.   Apparently I am supposed to love this album, but I just cannot.

Dark Side of the Moon.  Never did anything for me, ever.  All surface no depth.

IMHO of course....

Darkside never did much for me as well, but I chalk it up to having been exposed to it so much due to its legendary status, that I was desensitized by the time I started seriously taking on prog rock.

Tarkus never hit home with me, either. I need to re-listen to a lot of ELP.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>