Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 15:13
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^

Why are you screwing up the thread? Don't do that.
At least take it to a thread where this discussion belongs. A few people have already tried hard to get this thread back on the rails.
Agreed. I'll leave you in peace.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 15:11
^

At least take it to a thread where this discussion belongs. A few people have already tried hard to get this thread back on the rails.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 12 2014 at 15:12
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Dean, you seem to want to ignore most of this thread so I'll give you more to ignore. I sympathize with your frustration over not being able to reach a definitive meaning as to the word 'progressive' in PA. That is because the current music addressed in this site is not progressive. Rock music was only truly progressive in the late 60's and early 70's. Everything produced after that is only an imitation of it's style. The Neo Progressive movement says it all. A copying of Gabriel era Genesis without condemation as to the fact that this was the polar opposite of what Prog is and should be and is why we are where we are at now. The name of this site claims to archive this past prog but does nothing of the sort. Furthermore, treating this retreaded music with the same reverence does little to help. As to the discussions being devoid of music, you should know clearly by now that members go off on tangents or are defensive about music that they themselves did not create. A truly childish attitude if there ever was one. As for discussing beats, bars, chords and notes, I've done that for most of my life and I'm more interested in what fans think of music now as opposed to what producers and musicians think, that's why I ask the questions that I do. We are on opposite sides on this and that's unfortunate. Again, I truly appreciate for frustration, but you are the one flogging a dead horse in all of this, so I will sincerely wish good luck and hope that music can again bring you the same joy that it brings to me.
Quoted from Dean: 'Well at least you got my name right. ...better?' My response: Is that the best you can do? Pathetic.
My name was the only thing you got right, there was not much else I wanted to say.

Since you clearly want me to do better, who am I to refuse, but you're not gonna like it.

In a single post you have managed to demonstrate that you have not only failed to understand a single word I have typed, you also failed to understand the nature of Progressive Rock from the 1970s through to the 21st century and the reasons for this site's existence. I admit that the first part of that problem is mine for I have evidently failed to express myself at a level that you can understand, this is a cross I have to bear - throughout my life I have struggled to relate my thoughts into word that everyone instantly understands. Yet for all your words you still fail to answer my simple question: you criticise my post for lacking objectivity and methodology without further explanation of what you mean by that and spout this opinionated drivel by way of reply so my 'Pathetic' response to that is to be expected. Your view is narrow and archaic and I find that to be disappointing, depressingly so, that you are "of my generation" but not of "My Generation", I could say you sound like my Dad, but he never sounded like you (we went to see Tangerine Dream together in the mid-70s - he was a cool dude). Progressive Rock has moved on, it grew and changed as we grew and changed. The World turned and Prog moved on. Gone are the days when we eagerly listened to the 'happening sounds' of the underground scene, hanging-on the latest release from the big boys of Prog, curious and hungry for news of lesser knowns like Stackridge or Rare Bird. We can lament, we can reminisce, we can look back but we cannot go back. Prog moved on. You have what... an eight year head-start on me?.. you should have arrived at this juncture before me but I fear it is too late for you. We "old farts" who lived through that era have a lot to offer and a lot to say yet we waste it in our arrogance, quick in our condemnation of those that try and slow to appreciate those who succeed - that's what's pathetic... but it's saddening more than maddening, I've heard it all before, I am no longer frustrated when it crops up again, just a little disappointed that in all this time we've not moved on. So we are on opposite sides and I am happy with that because even in 1976 when I was front-row at an Enid or VdGG gig, I seriously doubt that I was on your side.

I will admit that I am not a fan of what Neo-Prog has become, it was music of its age that is where it should have stayed. Fortunately the Neo-Prog bands of old (man, it was thirty years ago - get over it) have moved on, those bands like Marillion and Pendragon have embraced the 21st century - they progressed and changed yet manage to stay vital and in-touch, if only we could say the same of others. But back in the day "Neo-Prog" (we certainly didn't call it that in 1984 - the name is a later creation and definitely not invented by the bands themselves), was great and had a lot to be commended for - carrying the Prog banner into the 1980s: when all else was big-hair and MTV and Frankie Says Bloody Relax; when all our Prog heroes had turned their backs on this genre that we profess to love so much; when all the music industry, the gravy-train riders and the bandwagon-jumping muso-journalists could offer was ridicule and derision - for that the so-called Neo Prog bands of the late 70s and early 80s should be lauded and praised for standing their ground and trying to continue the scene that we profess to love so much and their albums should be stood proudly alongside the good and the great from that era we profess to love so much. Neo-Prog wasn't a copying it was continuing - more of the same with a different tune, as I said, it wasn't "Neo" then it was just "Prog". The Gabriel era Genesis clone tag has become ever so tiresome - it was never the case back then and it is even less the case now - it reveals someone who has maybe heard but definitely not listened - the lazy parroting of a lazy criticism they read in a long forgotten review in some long forgotten rag by some long forgotten journalist - the sad thing is, it was never true - oft repeated but never actually demonstrated (and don't bring up Grendel... less than 1000 people had ever heard that back then). All this is a shame and it's shameful. I find these kinds of genre-bashing comments embarrassing to read and in a moment of uncharacteristic restraint chose not to respond. That moment has passed and you have only yourself to blame, I was content with my pathetic "Well, at least you got my name right" response.

btw: I am not frustrated that we have not been able to produce an all-encompassing definition of Progressive Rock here at the PA (or anywhere come to that) because one cannot be produced - it's a fools errand and any one who thinks they have are deluding themselves. I find it amusing that people even try. 

I never said we have no definitive meaning as to the word 'progressive' ... that's silly - you just need to reach for a dictionary for that, what there is are some people who confuse the adjective "progressive" with the noun-phrase "Progressive Rock" - and there isn't much I can do about that. (I can giggle I suppose).
Let me clear up something, your condenscending attitude is what is pathetic Dean  and is beneath someone of your status in PA. Your response was mostly gibberish, but I defend your right to say whatever you think. Regardless if it's a crock.

Edited by SteveG - July 12 2014 at 15:25
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 14:42

Dean, you seem to want to ignore most of this thread so I'll give you more to ignore. I sympathize with your frustration over not being able to reach a definitive meaning as to the word 'progressive' in PA. That is because the current music addressed in this site is not progressive. Rock music was only truly progressive in the late 60's and early 70's. Everything produced after that is only an imitation of it's style. The Neo Progressive movement says it all. A copying of Gabriel era Genesis without condemation as to the fact that this was the polar opposite of what Prog is and should be and is why we are where we are at now. The name of this site claims to archive this past prog but does nothing of the sort. Furthermore, treating this retreaded music with the same reverence does little to help. As to the discussions being devoid of music, you should know clearly by now that members go off on tangents or are defensive about music that they themselves did not create. A truly childish attitude if there ever was one. As for discussing beats, bars, chords and notes, I've done that for most of my life and I'm more interested in what fans think of music now as opposed to what producers and musicians think, that's why I ask the questions that I do. We are on opposite sides on this and that's unfortunate. Again, I truly appreciate for frustration, but you are the one flogging a dead horse in all of this, so I will sincerely wish good luck and hope that music can again bring you the same joy that it brings to me.
Quoted from Dean: 'Well at least you got my name right. ...better?' My response: Is that the best you can do? Pathetic.
My name was the only thing you got right, there was not much else I wanted to say.

Since you clearly want me to do better, who am I to refuse, but you're not gonna like it.

In a single post you have managed to demonstrate that you have not only failed to understand a single word I have typed, you also failed to understand the nature of Progressive Rock from the 1970s through to the 21st century and the reasons for this site's existence. I admit that the first part of that problem is mine for I have evidently failed to express myself at a level that you can understand, this is a cross I have to bear - throughout my life I have struggled to relate my thoughts into word that everyone instantly understands. Yet for all your words you still fail to answer my simple question: you criticise my post for lacking objectivity and methodology without further explanation of what you mean by that and spout this opinionated drivel by way of reply so my 'Pathetic' response to that is to be expected. Your view is narrow and archaic and I find that to be disappointing, depressingly so, that you are "of my generation" but not of "My Generation", I could say you sound like my Dad, but he never sounded like you (we went to see Tangerine Dream together in the mid-70s - he was a cool dude). Progressive Rock has moved on, it grew and changed as we grew and changed. The World turned and Prog moved on. Gone are the days when we eagerly listened to the 'happening sounds' of the underground scene, hanging-on the latest release from the big boys of Prog, curious and hungry for news of lesser knowns like Stackridge or Rare Bird. We can lament, we can reminisce, we can look back but we cannot go back. Prog moved on. You have what... an eight year head-start on me?.. you should have arrived at this juncture before me but I fear it is too late for you. We "old farts" who lived through that era have a lot to offer and a lot to say yet we waste it in our arrogance, quick in our condemnation of those that try and slow to appreciate those who succeed - that's what's pathetic... but it's saddening more than maddening, I've heard it all before, I am no longer frustrated when it crops up again, just a little disappointed that in all this time we've not moved on. So we are on opposite sides and I am happy with that because even in 1976 when I was front-row at an Enid or VdGG gig, I seriously doubt that I was on your side.

I will admit that I am not a fan of what Neo-Prog has become, it was music of its age that is where it should have stayed. Fortunately the Neo-Prog bands of old (man, it was thirty years ago - get over it) have moved on, those bands like Marillion and Pendragon have embraced the 21st century - they progressed and changed yet manage to stay vital and in-touch, if only we could say the same of others. But back in the day "Neo-Prog" (we certainly didn't call it that in 1984 - the name is a later creation and definitely not invented by the bands themselves), was great and had a lot to be commended for - carrying the Prog banner into the 1980s: when all else was big-hair and MTV and Frankie Says Bloody Relax; when all our Prog heroes had turned their backs on this genre that we profess to love so much; when all the music industry, the gravy-train riders and the bandwagon-jumping muso-journalists could offer was ridicule and derision - for that the so-called Neo Prog bands of the late 70s and early 80s should be lauded and praised for standing their ground and trying to continue the scene that we profess to love so much and their albums should be stood proudly alongside the good and the great from that era we profess to love so much. Neo-Prog wasn't a copying it was continuing - more of the same with a different tune, as I said, it wasn't "Neo" then it was just "Prog". The Gabriel era Genesis clone tag has become ever so tiresome - it was never the case back then and it is even less the case now - it reveals someone who has maybe heard but definitely not listened - the lazy parroting of a lazy criticism they read in a long forgotten review in some long forgotten rag by some long forgotten journalist - the sad thing is, it was never true - oft repeated but never actually demonstrated (and don't bring up Grendel... less than 1000 people had ever heard that back then). All this is a shame and it's shameful. I find these kinds of genre-bashing comments embarrassing to read and in a moment of uncharacteristic restraint chose not to respond. That moment has passed and you have only yourself to blame, I was content with my pathetic "Well, at least you got my name right" response.

btw: I am not frustrated that we have not been able to produce an all-encompassing definition of Progressive Rock here at the PA (or anywhere come to that) because one cannot be produced - it's a fools errand and any one who thinks they have are deluding themselves. I find it amusing that people even try. 

I never said we have no definitive meaning as to the word 'progressive' ... that's silly - you just need to reach for a dictionary for that, what there is are some people who confuse the adjective "progressive" with the noun-phrase "Progressive Rock" - and there isn't much I can do about that. (I can giggle I suppose).

Edited by Dean - July 12 2014 at 14:48
What?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 13:48

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I don't.  I just like rock and roll of many stripes.  "Prog" is one of them.  

Since no ones posting, I'll say that I'm with you on that. My tastes range from American roots music, acoustic blues, electric blues, different types of ethnic world music, folk rock and many, many different types of metal so prog is only one of my likes.

I'm with you on that too. I like Steve Hackett's Blues With a Feeling and classical albums such as Momentum and others.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 13:39
I think it's because the songs offer more emotionally. They go through different feelings and moods even within a single song. It also offers more musically. Lyrics are great and all, but I'm more of a music person. The voice is just another instrument, usually carrying the melody line.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 13:39

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Rock music was only truly progressive in the late 60's and early 70's. Everything produced after that is only an imitation of it's style.
That was depressing. Then I considered how Steve Hackett produced quite a bit of truly progressive material in the 2000s, and I got alright again.
Perception is what life is all about. If you think Hackett's style of work is truly progressive, inventive and something that never existed before than my hats off to you.

"...something that never existed before" as long as it is qualified that never, even in the 60s and 70s, did anything like that except in recombining old things that already existed before in new ways.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 13:36
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Because the prog genre has rock drumming and classical imagery on top of it. My Per Un Amico and my Moonmadness keep me going.
That's it? You don't enjoy bands who do something different than that?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 12 2014 at 13:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 13:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

(this is directed at  dayvenkirq. Just like rogerthat you split when anyone disagrees or confronts you with a perspective alien to your expectations. It goes with the territory, white guys who don't get laid pretend it''s not important and that their inner beauty will trump the villainous spectator sport that is attraction. Mercifully art trumps the intellect and you are clearly deaf to that which speaks to the heart.
As weird as that post sounds to me, again (I'm begging you) - not here.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 12 2014 at 13:27
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 12:32
Originally posted by notesworth notesworth wrote:

1. More emotion for me than other genres.
2. I'm a keyboardist and there's lots of keyboards. I like guitars a lot too, but pianos, organs, synths, etc. also have their place in rock.
3. Long songs that deserve their length and don't get boring.
4. Overt sexuality is rare. I don't like overt sexuality in music.
5. Attitude that knowledge, playing ability, etc. is a GOOD thing instead of a bad thing. In prog it's okay to know what a seventh suspended fourth is. You don't get yelled at for going beyond the basics. There's ambition. There's an attitude that you can do what you want and you don't have to reject good ideas because they violate the "spirit of rock".
6. A real alternative to mainstream music. I like some indie/alternative, but a lot of it strikes me as "mainstream music played badly". Prog is something very different from the mainstream.
7. It's okay to write songs in languages other than English. English is overrated.
8. Lots of instrumentals.
9. Almost every other trait I like in rock music is in prog. I like a lot of stuff outside prog, but a lot of it is prog-influenced or "prog-related". Not all of it by any means, but a good chunk of it.
Flaws:
1. <span style="line-height: 1.2;">I wish more prog bands would write catchy melodies.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">2. I like odd time signatures, but I'm tired of hearing bands lop the end off a 4/4 phrase to make it "7/8" and destroy the flow. It's great if it's naturally in 7/8. I'm talking about when it's not naturally in 7/8.</span>

Funny, I just heard a song with an extremely brief unexpected 7/8 interlude that really drove the song home, but I agree that odd time signatures for sake of the song being Prog is annoying.
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 12:25
1. More emotion for me than other genres.
2. I'm a keyboardist and there's lots of keyboards. I like guitars a lot too, but pianos, organs, synths, etc. also have their place in rock.
3. Long songs that deserve their length and don't get boring.
4. Overt sexuality is rare. I don't like overt sexuality in music.
5. Attitude that knowledge, playing ability, etc. is a GOOD thing instead of a bad thing. In prog it's okay to know what a seventh suspended fourth is. You don't get yelled at for going beyond the basics. There's ambition. There's an attitude that you can do what you want and you don't have to reject good ideas because they violate the "spirit of rock".
6. A real alternative to mainstream music. I like some indie/alternative, but a lot of it strikes me as "mainstream music played badly". Prog is something very different from the mainstream.
7. It's okay to write songs in languages other than English. English is overrated.
8. Lots of instrumentals.
9. Almost every other trait I like in rock music is in prog. I like a lot of stuff outside prog, but a lot of it is prog-influenced or "prog-related". Not all of it by any means, but a good chunk of it.

Flaws:
1. I wish more prog bands would write catchy melodies.
2. I like odd time signatures, but I'm tired of hearing bands lop the end off a 4/4 phrase to make it "7/8" and destroy the flow. It's great if it's naturally in 7/8. I'm talking about when it's not naturally in 7/8.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:32
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Since no ones posting, I'll say that I'm with you on that. My tastes range from American roots music, acoustic blues, electric blues, different types of ethnic world music, folk rock and many, many different types of metal so prog is only one of my likes.

Edited by SteveG - July 12 2014 at 11:35
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:16

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:15

I don't see how any of that is related to the left-brain/right-brain idea. 

Perhaps, it isn't.  I do not know the scientific aspects of it and how that refutes the left/right brain idea. I simply used it in a lay sense like how people still talk about sun rising in the east and setting in the west.  I think of focusing on the notes rather than the tones as a left brained approach and being more interested in tones rather than notes as a right brained approach.  Possibly you don't agree but it did seem to resonate with others in this thread so I don't think I have suggested anything outlandish.  In either event, I have given the long winded description of the same notion also.

Edited by rogerthat - July 12 2014 at 11:22
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:13

I've got more than just your name correct. Read my post again as the text dropped out.

Okay, one more time, with feeling:

Quoted from Dean: 'Well at least you got my name right. ...better?' My response: Is that the best you can do? Pathetic.

Edited by SteveG - July 12 2014 at 11:51
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:11
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

(this is directed at  dayvenkirq. Just like rogerthat you split when anyone disagrees or confronts you with a perspective alien to your expectations. It goes with the territory, white guys who don't get laid pretend it''s not important and that their inner beauty will trump the villainous spectator sport that is attraction. Mercifully art trumps the intellect and you are clearly deaf to that which speaks to the heart.

OK, since you insisted on dragging me in when I am not involved in the argument, no, I steer clear of discussions with people who cannot argue without indulging in sweeping character judgments.  Perhaps you think your Scottish origins somehow entitle you to do so but as I am not quite inclined to agree, I would rather not participate at all.  And before you snipe, as is your wont, I shall henceforth never respond to, even in agreement, with what you say because this has been a pattern with you and I am sure I am not alone in saying so.  If anything, your comments reveal a person who calls different perspectives "bollocks" or "elitist" or whatever simply because he cannot agree with them. I do not know that I have done likewise, whether to you or to anybody else in the forum, but I frankly don't care enough to return the compliment.  

Edited by rogerthat - July 12 2014 at 11:17
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:07

I've got more than just your name correct. Read my post again as the text dropped out.

Okay, one more time, with feeling:

Well, at least you got my name right.

...better?

Edited by Dean - July 12 2014 at 12:24
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:05
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Rock music was only truly progressive in the late 60's and early 70's. Everything produced after that is only an imitation of it's style.
That was depressing. Then I considered how Steve Hackett produced quite a bit of truly progressive material in the 2000s, and I got alright again.
Perception is what life is all about. If you think Hackett's style of work is truly progressive, inventive and something that never existed before than my hats off to you.

Edited by SteveG - July 12 2014 at 11:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:01

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:51
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I am not saying that.  I firmly believe that the quality of the music depends on the artist and his/her/their creative vision and not on the genre. I am saying simply that there is something peculiar about both prog and its listeners in the sense that a large part of the rest of the music community seems utterly convinced it is pretentious and/or won't give it a chance.  So what is that thing that doesn't attract both hardcore rock and roll fans who want something kickass to listen to on the one hand and also classical/jazz listeners on the other?  It is that prog tries to take the left brained orientation of the latter and wed it to the rebellious, rhythmic quality of the latter.  Of course jazz too can be plenty rebellious but it is not built on driving rhythm the way rock is and that's an element prog too possesses.  We are a bunch of people who want some of the musical intrigue of academic music but don't want to completely let go of the driving, thumping quality of rock music either.  This is the niche that prog caters to.  It is the only non-academic genre that is by nature somewhat left brained.  In other genres, it is exceptional/eccentric (as applicable) artists who tend to do left brained stuff like a Beatles or a S Wonder.  In prog, it is the norm.  If it is not left brained in any regard whatsoever, we would have difficulty calling it prog.  Once you accept the idea of rock music that passes through different sections, combining both vocal passages and long instrumental interludes, with a somewhat linear rather than cyclical progression, then simplicity isn't really of essence.  Perhaps the ideas may have such clarity that they APPEAR simple to follow.  But prog as a rule cannot be compared to say Chris Rea's Road to Hell and called 'simple'.  Complicated and long winded is the appropriate word, I think.

For me, it's some version of this. Thinking music with a head of steam behind it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>