Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Do you prefer Prog over other music genres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I feel that posts like this are important regardless of the lack of objectivity or methodology as it shows if Prog fans are connected to genres outside of Prog like classical, jazz, etc., or exist in some type of 'prog music only ' vacumn. There was no deeper purpose to this exercise.
It's a subjective topic, there can be little objectivity. Not sure what you're on about with methodology - would you care to elaborate further?
It's as far from a scientific pole as you can get, just throwing out questions quickly in order to gauge a consensous. The poll takers are subjective. Ony the polster is objective (hopefully!)
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 10:05

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Right, lots to take in there. You appear to be saying that Progressive Rock (in any of it's incestuous relations with other genres) will never be deemed worthy of academic art music status. I don't really have any problem with this but who is claiming otherwise? (apart from say Moshkito?)
While Pedro (probably) makes such claims (who can really tell?) - he is not the first nor the only one. This debate has been around for as long as I can remember and is related to elitism.

Yes but what you call elitism can be deemed the reason why PA is here subsequent to Prog's 'golden age' i.e stratification/demarcation of aesthetic values which posits one type of artistic expression is superior to another (not dissimilar to any hit parade of any genre you care to name) When Tarkus was number 1 in the UK album charts elitism was not even considered a corollary to the trump card of popularity. Would PA have even been considered necessary in 1971?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 10:16
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I remember a quote on the back of Soft Machine's "Volume Two" album that's stuck with me.  Something along the lines of "There is music for the mind and there is music for the body.. The Soft Machine play music for the mind....." etc.

I just think I like music for the mind.
I'm just going to clarify my answer since others have since waxed more eloquently about their own views.

One thing that occurred to me is the thread topic can be interpreted two ways --

Why do you prefer Prog over [all] other music genres?
or
Why do you prefer Prog over [some] other music genres?

I was answering the 2nd question.  I don't prefer prog over EVERY other music genre, and I didn't think that's what the thread was asking.

Small matter I guess, but I felt the need to waste all your time with that. Carry on.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 10:25
I have absolutely no idea.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 10:25
"Elitism" may be a tricky word, it is the negative expression of something healthy called pride or satisfaction for oneself. Elitism implies that the elitist dismisses other people as inferior and this need not be the case when it comes to discussions such as the ones we frequently have here. We may feel good with ourselves in that we have learnt to appreciate certain things in music which many other people seem to have missed or do not care for, but this does not mean that we consider those other people as inferior, we just think that they are missing something worth of enjoying. I am certain that I am missing many other things worth of enjoying, many things other people have learnt to appreciate which I have not. So long as we do not consider those "not enlightened" as inferiors, there's nothing wrong and using the word elitism is not correct.
TheRollingOrange View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 12:55
I don't know really. I guess I find it more fulfilling to me than other kinds of music, even if I do enjoy music that isn't prog.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 13:17
Hard to say. I usually enjoy music made by 'progressive' bands more than music from types of bands. This isn't always the case, but it's the most consistent trend I've noticed in my musical tastes.

I don't like pop, electronic (few exceptions), rap, country, punk, or death metal. While I do like rock, metal, jazz, some bluegrass, I usually drift toward the kind that is more technical or experimental. I don't listen to the Eagles or the Rolling Stones, but I do like Rush and Jethro Tull. As for jazz, I don't care for swing, but I really do like hard-bop and fusion. Similar idea with bluegrass, I'm not really into the standard kinds, but I love love jam bands that are heavily influenced by bluegrass.

Edited by Metalmarsh89 - July 11 2014 at 13:18
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 13:33
Originally posted by TheRollingOrange TheRollingOrange wrote:

I don't know really. I guess I find it more fulfilling to me than other kinds of music, even if I do enjoy music that isn't prog.

+1
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 15:11

I feel that posts like this are important regardless of the lack of objectivity or methodology as it shows if Prog fans are connected to genres outside of Prog like classical, jazz, etc., or exist in some type of 'prog music only ' vacumn. There was no deeper purpose to this exercise.
It's a subjective topic, there can be little objectivity. Not sure what you're on about with methodology - would you care to elaborate further?
It's as far from a scientific pole as you can get, just throwing out questions quickly in order to gauge a consensous. The poll takers are subjective. Ony the polster is objective (hopefully!)
...and now you've lost me completely. I'll just ignore your "methodology" comment .... and the "objectivity" one too. 

Edited by Dean - July 11 2014 at 16:20
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 15:30

Yes but what you call elitism can be deemed the reason why PA is here subsequent to Prog's 'golden age' i.e stratification/demarcation of aesthetic values which posits one type of artistic expression is superior to another (not dissimilar to any hit parade of any genre you care to name) When Tarkus was number 1 in the UK album charts elitism was not even considered a corollary to the trump card of popularity. Would PA have even been considered necessary in 1971?
It can only be elitist if it is considered to be superior, otherwise it is niche. A "hit parade" does not measure superiority, it is a measure of relative popularity. I would not be surprise by a PA of 1971 being considerably less inclusive than it is now, but that would not be called elitism either.

Edited by Dean - July 11 2014 at 15:46
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 16:14
I don't. 

But I enjoy prog regardless. And in some cases, a lot. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 22:01
I do and I blame it on this site.  I was poking around on the internet looking to find out some more information on Radiohead thanks to Steven Wilson putting in a good word for them on the Porcupine Tree web site and then all hope was lost.  I am grateful for jazzmusicarchives for pulling me away from this site somewhat.   I am afraid I am trapped hopelessly in the prog rock orbit and will never break free.

Back to your question...

Tongue

I grew up on pop singles being born in '65.  I had my first taste of prog inearly '70's.  Became hopelessly hooked in the late '70's.  I like the diversity and adventurousness of it.  Commercial music really lost a lot of diversity and adventurousness as did prog when it tired to be more commercial.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 11 2014 at 22:07
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 22:43
Not every music genre that isn't prog sounds like it was made for imbeciles but one thing about prog is that the music(and usually the lyrics also)are not dumbed down to appeal to Joe six pack. I'm not saying all prog only appeals to brainiacs but I feel that it's music that goes beyond the usual lovey dovey let's all get drunk and get laid(not that there's anything wrong with either of those but sometimes you want a little bit more in your music ).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 23:12
^^^^ Yes, by its nature, it basically throws up more of the so-called left-brained approach to music.  I think most of us who like some or the other prog rock bands have at some level or the other a fascination for a left-brained way of looking at music, the seemingly 'mathematical' patterns in melodic or harmonic progressions, surprises, time signature changes, etc.  We may or may not recognise such a quality within ourselves and prefer to believe it is a purely emotional response to the music but it is probably safe to say that if one likes dozens of prog rock bands from different genres rather than one or two specific artists, then this left-brained approach informs our emotions itself (like people who get excited watching or answering quizzes or solving crosswords or sudokus).  I wouldn't be surprised if some of us also answer in the affirmative to enjoying such or similar pastimes (quiz, sudoko, etc).  Prog is not the only genre by any means which follows said left-brained approach and there are many artists in supposedly commercial music who have done conceptually intriguing things (which is why it is best to avoid getting completely sucked into an anti-commercial snobbery).  But it is the only non academic (that is to say, non jazz/classical) genre that consistently attaches a lot of importance to conceptual intrigue, sometimes but not necessarily always at the expense of emotional resonance.  A lot of people simply do not care, even when they are listening to classical music, whether there are any surprises in the patterns, whether the interlude resolves into the melody seamlessly or not and such things.  I wonder how many prog rock fans would honestly be that indifferent to such things because there are a lot of prog rock bands that are not particularly unique from a purely tonal perspective. 
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 23:14
As an avid classical and jazz lover, I wouldn't say I prefer progressive rock over these genres (I love them all equally), but when I'm in the mood for rock, I know I can expect rock music without boundaries with prog. For this genre, it's about the music and not about image nor does it cater to the lowest common denominator. This is rock music with an intellect.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 11 2014 at 23:15
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 00:49
Lots of posts here remarking on the merits of the perceived 'cerebral' nature of Prog. I've never really subscribed to this view as not everything has to be articulate to be capable of moving us or connecting with us on a deeper profound level. This is why the lyrics to DSOTM are so brilliant i.e. some very unpalatable and complex ideas are presented in a way that practically anyone can understand irrespective of their intellect. It's also quite telling that the music on this benchmark Prog album is predominately simple both rhythmically and harmonically. Who amongst us draws a Venn diagram to describe their first kiss or prepares a spreadsheet to illustrate the first time their heart was broken? Simple and direct is a hallmark of much great art and were you to pan all the concealing artifice, eloquence, virtuosity, complexity, inaccessibility and hubris from much of the music celebrated on this site you would be left with just a little muddy rockWink

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 00:54
Just to clarify, I personally have not talked about the MERITS of the cerebral nature of prog.  I am rather identifying it purely as a listener's preference, a certain kind of listener who subconsciously looks for patterns in music and prog tends to produce a lot of music that is obsessed with such patterns.  I don't think that it has to be the only way to make music or the best way even.  It is just one approach for which prog has a peculiar fondness compared to other rock genres and hence appeals likewise to a small but significant minority who also focus more on the patterns rather than the sheer kickass quotient of the music (as a rock fan would).   
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 01:05
Two questions, though:

This is why the lyrics to DSOTM are so brilliant i.e. some very unpalatable and complex ideas are presented in a way that practically anyone can understand irrespective of their intellect.
Death, wasting time, the root of all evil? Unpalatable and complex? Where? Isn't it the absence of those qualities that actually makes the album an accessible piece of work?

... and ...

It's also quite telling that the music on this benchmark Prog album is predominately simple both rhythmically and harmonically.
Didn't they use some slightly unconventional chords on some of the songs on DSOTM ?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 12 2014 at 01:29
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 01:07
Furthermore, I don't think there would be even a near unanimous agreement that DSOTM is the benchmark prog album.  It is simply the most commercially successful and the one that best achieved a crossover to mainstream rock.  There is no one benchmark prog album.  Going by PA's own ratings and opinions expressed in polls, there seem to be a few (irrespective of my or anybody else's personal opinions on said albums) - DSOTM itself, TAAB, CTTE, Wish You Were Here, SEBTP, Foxtrot, ITCOTCK.

Edited by rogerthat - July 12 2014 at 01:10
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 01:25
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Just to clarify, I personally have not talked about the MERITS of the cerebral nature of prog.  I am rather identifying it purely as a listener's preference, a certain kind of listener who subconsciously looks for patterns in music and prog tends to produce a lot of music that is obsessed with such patterns.  I don't think that it has to be the only way to make music or the best way even.  It is just one approach for which prog has a peculiar fondness compared to other rock genres and hence appeals likewise to a small but significant minority who also focus more on the patterns rather than the sheer kickass quotient of the music (as a rock fan would).

I believe that in this comment you imply that the quality of some prog works doesn't come from just complexity or contrivance. Some prog works win because they are simple, and possess a transparent lyrical/musical substance to them. That's another thing I love about prog - it's dichotomic, two-sided in nearly every department. It doesn't have to rely on just one thing, one idea, one characteristic. It can be simple or complex, eclectic or homogeneous, soft or loud, easygoing or intense, accessible or uncompromising, ... or a mixture of any of those qualities, and your body of work would still have a chance of becoming truly glorious.

Prog is a niche where an artist gets to stand out! You build something, and it just keeps evolving, and it may or may not retain some appeal value (which is, unfortunately, where the idea of bad prog probably starts, but of course "bad" can be merely a figment of our imagination, whether it's collective or not).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 12 2014 at 01:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>