22 [10.19%]
7 [3.24%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 03:53
I think it's just the way the local demographic turned out. (Sorry if I couldn't think of a funny answer.)

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 01 2014 at 03:54
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 06:05
35-39 -

38 more exactly Wink
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 13:07
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Oh, oh, we older guys are superior to you younger guys. BullCensored

Both Jim Garten and I were using self depreciating humour which exploits the infirmities of our elderly status for everyone's amusement i.e. we were making a joke at our own expense

If you don't understand that then it's not a quantum leap to us believing you'd have to be told the stand up comedian is the guy 'facing the other way'Confused

It's not very funny though. It seems arrogant to me
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 14:05
somewhere in the 18-30 range probs, idk I don't keep track
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 17:39

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Oh, oh, we older guys are superior to you younger guys. BullCensored

Both Jim Garten and I were using self depreciating humour which exploits the infirmities of our elderly status for everyone's amusement i.e. we were making a joke at our own expense

If you don't understand that then it's not a quantum leap to us believing you'd have to be told the stand up comedian is the guy 'facing the other way'Confused

It's not very funny though. It seems arrogant to me

No-one is claiming it's funny but yes, I wholeheartedly agree that old farts taking the piss out of themselves is the apex of arrogance.and would therefore apologise unreservedly on behalf of everyone over the age of say, 'sparkle in the eye' for having bruised your unripe sensibilities.

Edited by ExittheLemming - August 01 2014 at 18:05
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:23
LOL
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:44
I hope I die before I get told.  Cool
SirArrogate View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:19

I got into "prog" after my curiosity was piqued by a casual perusal of the track-listing of "Pawn Hearts" by the mighty VDGG. I pondered what the strangely monikered "a plague of lighthouse keepers" could possibly sound like Smile and subsequently took the leap into the unknown maw Wink 

No regrets.
JCDenton View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 11:20
I voted for 18-25 huhuhuhu.
I'm 19. I used to be after finding more complex styles of music after being raised on Christian rap, rock, and ahem, "Christcore" (I know, we're all crying right now). I found bands like Metallica and later on Led Zeppelin, which I started going their route. I dug how they were a collectively equal effort, great vocals with dudes who actually PLAY their instruments. I got bored with the shredding and was interested in the older classic rock/art rock bands.

Then one day I was caught up in the middle of fangirling over the announcement of Guitar Hero 5, and I look at the track listing. "Who the heck is King Crimson?" I look up them on iTunes and only find an Ozzy Osbourne cover of "21st Century Schizoid Man" (so very prog). "Man, this is cool!!" I cringe today knowing that I thought that at one point. The fact was I never went on YouTube to look up the original song for over a year. I finally listened and didn't know what to think. The vocals weren't as clear. The song was much faster than I had anticipated, and "Mirrors" sounded BIZARRE. The YouTube video also was very poor quality, leaving me hung further on my opinion of the song.

I always gravitated toward lengthier, more dramatic, oftentimes ballads. Even in the Christian music phase (if you want examples, "From Crib to Coffin" by Emery and "To Whom It May Concern" by Underoath are decent examples). Naturally some of my favorite songs when I was really into classic rock were "Stairway to Heaven" and "Telegraph Road" by Dire Straits. I found the desire to know the greatest, most epic songs out there. I found Arrow Classic Rock's Top 500 Classic Rock Songs (2007) list and got to work. One of the higher ranked songs on that list was "Firth of Fifth" by Genesis. I thought "Wasn't that that band with the guy who did 'In the Air Tonight'?!" It turned out to be an amazing song. My first full exposure to the genre. I looked up more about this "Progressive Rock" and found digitaldreamdoor.com's list of Top 100 Prog albums and bands list. I began to learn, and things exploded from there. I found this web site some years later. Tongue
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 11:45
Originally posted by SirArrogate SirArrogate wrote:

I got into "prog" after my curiosity was piqued by a casual perusal of the track-listing of "Pawn Hearts" by the mighty VDGG. I pondered what the strangely monikered "a plague of lighthouse keepers" could possibly sound like Smile and subsequently took the leap into the unknown maw Wink 

No regrets.
Damn! ... That was your introduction?! ... No way.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 11:51
I'm so old a paleobotanist keeps calling, asking to inspect my stomach for ancient seed and pollen samples.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 14:05
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Anyone care to speculate why 31-34 are so low?   It could be because they are adverse to online polls...

I was thinking this one was easy!!!

If the wife found out that you are spending money on CD's and music she doesn't like ... ohhh my word ... we need the money for the kids this and that and .... and next thing you know .... Ouch and then life goes on and you come out of it Angry and a bit later with no money at all Dead praying to find a new job Cry so you can get at least one of those albums that you miss so much that she threw away!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 12:50
Speaking as someone who hasn't had kids and now we can't, I think you are on to something there, Moshkito...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 06:22
I'm 26 times around the sun, myself LOL.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 16:34
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Anyone care to speculate why 31-34 are so low?   It could be because they are adverse to online polls...

If the wife found out that you are spending money on CD's and music she doesn't like ... ohhh my word ... we need the money for the kids this and that and .... and next thing you know .... Ouch and then life goes on and you come out of it Angry and a bit later with no money at all Dead praying to find a new job Cry so you can get at least one of those albums that you miss so much that she threw away!
It takes an old married man to know one.

Edited by SteveG - August 07 2014 at 16:35
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 18:37
12 (twleve).
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 20:14
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I hope I die before I get told.  Cool

Talkin' 'bout my genitalia.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 20:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Clap

I believe Sir, that this is the funniest thing that I've ever seen by you.

42 myself.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 10:05
One more time!

I'm wondering why there are so many prog fans around my age (40-45). I'm 44 specifically. This is the largest age group(aside from the 18-25 which is technically cheating since it has two additional years added). Most people tend to get into music in their teen years and prog is suppose to have thought of as being dead in the eighties(when this age group would have been in their teens). My only explanation for that is that Yes, Genesis, Rush and Pink Floyd were all pretty big in that decade. I think the huge success of Genesis in particular is what pushes this age range above all others(even though Genesis were very poppy at that point).

As for the low numbers of those in their thirties(especially the 31-34 group) how I explain that is that they would have been in their teens in the 90's and relatively few people were discovering prog in that decade. There was lots of rediscovering going on but in my opinion not so much discovering for the first time.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - August 13 2014 at 10:09
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 10:10
I'm 45, and I think you may be right about the popularity of some of the "big" prog groups - for me, anyway, being a Genesis "Abacab" fan from hearing it on the radio eventually led to me checking out their earlier stuff.  Rush was at a peak in the early 80s as well, so their visibility was high to top 40 fans and prog fans alike.

Another possible factor, and one that holds true for me, is that my parents were in their 20s in the 1960s, and thus were of appropriate age to get into the prog thing on the ground floor.   It was my dad, in fact, who first recommended King Crimson to me, and I found out about both Floyd and Yes from his collection.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>