Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI was wondering...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I was wondering...
    Posted: August 09 2005 at 23:11
Do you think there were bootleggers in the time of classical music? Think about it. It's the first performance of a new Mozart piece. As the crowd settles a guy in the back pulls out his quill pen and staff paper. As the concert begins, he transcribes the entire thing onto the paper. The next day, he's made copies and swaps it with his friends...

just a thought
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 23:13
It would be damn near impossible to notate every single note in one listen...
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 23:46

kingofbizarre:

Actually, we know that such things did, in fact occur - though not, perhaps, in that "direct" a fashion.  It is, of course, common knowledge that Salieri was plagiarizing Mozart left and right.  And I'm sure he was not the first, nor the last.

After all, many of the great composers of the baroque and early romantic era also served as "court" musicians, composing music for the king, queen, prince, what have you.  So they were in prestigious positions.  Anyone who was jealous of that position - or had enough "ambition" to try to "unseat" the reigning court musician - would certainly have been calculating enough to create something that sounded similar to that person.  So plagiarizing was quite rampant.  And this was not "influence" (though that also occurred), but out-and-out rip-off.  [N.B.  This was also true of artists (e.g., Michelangelo, Rafael, etc.), who, in addition to "freelancing," were often "on retainer" to royalty.  In order to try to "unseat" them, other artists would plagiarize their styles, and sometimes their work.]

Still, there was an "upside" to this: it encouraged many composers to create new works.  And those who were not necessarily plagiarizing often created great works, some of which became as well-known as those of the composers they were trying to "copy" or "unseat."

If your "fantasy" were a tad bit more sci-fi, you would have the guy in the audience pull out a DAT recorder and record the concert...

Peace.

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 00:30

Originally posted by kingofbizzare kingofbizzare wrote:

Do you think there were bootleggers in the time of classical music? Think about it. It's the first performance of a new Mozart piece. As the crowd settles a guy in the back pulls out his quill pen and staff paper. As the concert begins, he transcribes the entire thing onto the paper. The next day, he's made copies and swaps it with his friends...

just a thought

There was an excellent mini-series that I saw twice in the 90s called the Strauss Dynasty ... (about Johann senior, junior, Josef and Eduard) ... in one scene Johann Strauss Jr.'s orchestra is practicing some new material when his mother spots a young man in the courtyard ... who turns out to be transribing the material ... he gets away, but from then on, the practices are much more secretive ... later on in the show, some guy (I think it's Johann sr.'s rival Josef Lanner) is caught pretending that the material is his own!

Don't know how true all of this was (or even if I've got the details correctly) ...  but it's always stuck in my mind

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 00:39
combine what cygnus said and what maani said and you get my opinion.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 02:38
Classical music isn't the same with the prog or any other music genre copyright albums...Classical music can be freely played by anyone,anywhere...So,no bootlegers cannot exist in classical music...
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 02:39
And Saglieri wasn't  plagiarizing ANYTHING...The rumor that Saglieri and Mozart were enemies is A BIG FAKE...
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 03:24

...but it said so in the film "Amadeus", so it must be true...

You'll be telling me there's no such thing as an Orc, next

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 03:33

[QUOTE=Jim Garten]...but it said so in the film "Amadeus", so it must be true...[\QUOTE]

It's based on a stage play. Good movie by the way! Have you seen "Immortal beloved", where Gary Oldman casts Beethoven? Lots of pretty ladies in nice dresses, european landscapes and nice music.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 06:31
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

...but it said so in the film "Amadeus", so it must be true...

You'll be telling me there's no such thing as an Orc, next

Films are not concludent... "Amadeus" is a very good movie,but,just like in documentaries,the rivalry between Saglieri and Mozart is fake...And the rumor that Saglieri poisoned Mozart even more fake...

And :cough: :cough: there is no Orc :cough:...

Post Reply Post Reply