FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCatalonia's aim for independence from Spain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:27
I could see a federal nation occuring. Seems like the major resentment is the forcing of a Castillian identity on the minorities. Just seems to me that countries who have gone it alone like Macedonia, Montenegro etc have to struggle to find their way in the ever more competitive world. Bad economic conditions always creates horrible tensions and latent resentments that seem to linger in Europe for centuries. In the US we don't have all those centuries long tensions. We simply wiped out the native population and wiped the slate clean. Very interesting to see how different Spain, Germany and Italy are, all of which were a bunch of tiny states compiled into larger ones. How do you like Belgium? Not a bad place to be :)
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:20
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Do you know what Catalonia is?
I believe you slice them up with watermelon and berries for a delicious fruit salad. Tongue
To your question of whether a population in a region should be able to vote themselves an independent state, there's probably not a simple answer. One has to wonder what the world would look like today if the Jews and Romani would have had that option in Germany.
At the same time, here in the U.S. at least 40 states have had secession movements at one time or another. Who knows what the map would look like today or what sorts of ethnic, political, religious or cultural quagmires would have existed (and exist) as a result. In the one case where we did have states secede, things didn't turn out so well.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 15:54
I don't expect anybody to watch these, but just in case anybody is interested in the subject:

This is a conference by an English guy who lives in Catalonia for over 25 years explaining the subject to American students (he has become to sympathize with Catalan independentism even if he declares himself as a non-nationalist, and he clearly supports the Catalan movement). The conference is actually 35 min, the rest are Q&A

This one is more impartial, collecting views from both sides, separatists and unionists, but it also provides a decent view of the subject

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 15:59
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

How do you like Belgium? Not a bad place to be :)
Very nice people and beautiful historical cities, the land itself is not so nice, just flat fields (in the flemish part), I guess cows like it much better than humans. And it rains far too much, but I am grateful, I have always felt very well treated by Belgians.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The haves do not want to support the have-nots.  Now that sounds more like American culture in a nutshell. 
I don't think solidarity is a problem per se, solidarity is an accepted principle overall (or it should be), we know that the only way to avoid saturation of the more developed regions is investing in the development of less developed regions.
The problems may arise when the have-nots rule over the haves. Then the haves may start to feel like what colonies may have felt decades ago, hey, economically exploited can be acceptable, but at least then let us have a word in what is being done and don't f*k us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12