Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgArchives censorship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Is the PA site becoming overly censored?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [56.76%]
8 [21.62%]
8 [21.62%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 15:46
This is starting to feel like a missing episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 15:46
Uncensored:

Censored:

Murder: okay
Torture: okay
Butts: THIS IS A FAMILY FRIENDLY BUSINESS

Edited by Luna - July 24 2014 at 15:49
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 15:54
always the same hypocrisy that we see in television, don't show a bit of breast of Madame Jackson but we never get enough violence. 
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 15:57
Ermm

What?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:03
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

You missed Big Bone, Kentucky with its nearby Big Bone Lick State Park. And also in Kentucky is Beaverlick. Those Kentuckians have a rich oral tradition. 

I used to live in Rineyville, Kentucky and was amused at the city names in that state.  Monkey's Eyebrow was my favorite.

You missed Knob Lick, which I believe is just a few miles from Beaver Lick.  Also Penile and Black Bottom. 
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:04
This was my previous avatar! Will it get censored? The vice police will decide . 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:05
Listening to John Foxx' Blurred Girl LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:07
What I hate most about this is the fact that I have to think twice about changing my avatar to this beautiful painting of Max Ernst's.
<-----------

I can't even change avi on my phone! Damn what a bummer.....
The painting is called 'Bruden Pyntes' in Danish which roughly translates into The Bride is getting all dressed up.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 24 2014 at 16:17
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:11
^What happened to the purple-haired shirtless dude playing the bongo?
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:14
He's in here right now, I just can't produce him electronically.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:19
Instead you've got Divine in a film that was banned in some countries

Help me I'm falling!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:23
Well of course. It's mostly for the colours though. Love the red and blue and how they stand together.

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:24
I live in a free democratic country like America that's uncensored and I like to add that for all.

Edited by SteveG - July 24 2014 at 16:27
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 17:04
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

You missed Big Bone, Kentucky with its nearby Big Bone Lick State Park. And also in Kentucky is Beaverlick. Those Kentuckians have a rich oral tradition. 

I used to live in Rineyville, Kentucky and was amused at the city names in that state.  Monkey's Eyebrow was my favorite.

You missed Knob Lick, which I believe is just a few miles from Beaver Lick.  Also Penile and Black Bottom. 

From north of the border

Dildo, Newfoundland

Ok, maybe we are a bunch of 12 year old's LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 23:26
Honestly, I would have a lot more respect for the people who run this site if would be honest and say "we prefer the money we get from Google to the uncensored album covers our members want." instead of pretending they have no choice in the matter.

There's nothing wrong with liking money. There is something wrong with being a hypocrite.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 00:41
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Honestly, I would have a lot more respect for the people who run this site if would be honest and say "we prefer the money we get from Google to the uncensored album covers our members want." instead of pretending they have no choice in the matter.

There's nothing wrong with liking money. There is something wrong with being a hypocrite.
You've been here for 8 years, but I'd like to remind you that "the people who run this site" is one person. These giant decisions that affect the site are decided by one person. I'm okay with this conceptually, but the issue is that this one person seems to hate this site and tries to do everything in their power to watch it wither and die. Not updating the forum software, being away for months or years at a time, and now we have this with no official statement that I can find. Again, I'm okay with having a "dictator", just not one who won't reside in the country.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:20
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I'm assuming you mean the Admins as 'those who run this site'? (and you'll correct me if that's not the case as soon as you've stemmed that nosebleed suffered from occupying the moral high groundWink) MAX seldom speaks with and never selects the Admins, Nor does he involve them at any stage when it comes to negotiating with an advertiser like Google. I learned this from being an Admin for about 12 months.So, why do you believe that either the Admins or the members are pretending they have no choice in the matter?

At least ask the proper questions, say:

Does MAX prefer the money he gets from Google c/f the uncensored album covers some of PA's members want?
Would turning off the Google ads result in the site no longer being viable?

Only the site owner will have the answers to these. Why don't you put your name forward as an Admin and propose a solution to the problem? There is certainly nothing wrong with liking money, but talk is cheap ain't it?

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 05:14
If you don't have the ads you can't afford the bandwidth the run the site properly, put up with google's ad policy or kill the site.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 05:22
I'm not sure what Llama meant to be honest, but thank you guys for the support.

I am completely out of the loop in these matters just like every other member is - including Andy and Keishiro my fellow admin buddies. We can bitch and moan all we want, but it's not our call in the end.

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 05:30
Given Max's profession and background I'm sure he's well versed in all aspects of web marketing, including alternatives to Google's AdWords. He is a smart guy, he's done the maths and chosen the solution that allows the site to operate.

The site requires money to exist, as the sole owner of the site Max has to pay for the ongoing operating expenses. He isn't a charity or funding it as a hobby, the site needs to pay for itself to remain subscription free. 

I don't know the exact revenue figures involved but online estimates put its earning potential in the region of $400/month - that figure is an estimate based upon the site being optimised for maximum revenue based upon the number of monthly visitors. It would be interesting to know how many sites achieve that estimate, statistically that would be "not many".

But no matter how well optimised this site is for monthly income $400/month is not what you would call a cash cow. JMA and MMA run so low they don't even show in online estimates, the revenue from PA funds both those sites.

Consuming over 4TB bandwidth for 400,000/mnth visits and a considerable amount of database storage places this site in the "professional" end of the webserver market - this is not a site that can live on a low-end budget webserver costing less than $100/month. Also the database itself is not freeware even if the forum software may be free, operating costs for three databases, three websites and three forums are not free. 

Given how quickly Max reacts when the income stream is threatened indicates to me that cash-flow is tight and that income just about covers expenses. Going with the adservers that provide the best source of (near)guaranteed income is neither pretending that you don't have choice nor is it hypocrisy, it is expediency and good business practice

Even the site netted a monthly profit it's going to be a paltry sum so he isn't lining his pockets with huge bundles of cash each month. 

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>