Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin Reissues Part II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:17
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Agree about the lyrics of Whole Lotta Love but the killer riff was from Page and that's what's important to me.The lemon song was another dug up blues but as Dr Wu said, that was common with sixties blues rock bands at the time and Zeppelin was quickly moving away from the blues so they needed their own material from then on.

The killer riff was indeed Page's but it is clearly a standard blues riff that is repeatedly used by old and new bluesmen alike; root ~ minor three ~ four, with that chunky mute, a bit of swing in the right hand, and amp tone that would go on to define metal for the next twenty years .   But nothing special in the notes or pattern, it was what Page did with it that mattered,

I agree that  it was Page's take on the riff that made it special. Good point.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 23:03
I would be very interested to know what people think of the new 2014 remasters compared to the early 90s remasters? I own The Complete Studio Recordings set and this set was released in 93 and contains the most recent remasters done at that time.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 00:33
^ I think there's some discussion of that on pages 1 and 2 of this thread
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 09:50
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Maybe these reissues will finally include the complete credit lists. Jimmy Page never wrote a single original song, all ripped off.

Complete BS of course. As others have mentioned, he did steal a riff or two, but the way he developed the songs were completely his own and no one else could emulate him. He had a unique vision and I think the music speaks for itself. There's always people like you saying negative things, but history has been quite kind to Zeppelin and there's a reason why: they were all amazing musicians.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:32
Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 12:24
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I would be very interested to know what people think of the new 2014 remasters compared to the early 90s remasters? I own The Complete Studio Recordings set and this set was released in 93 and contains the most recent remasters done at that time.

Like anything in the 90's from a "remaster" view...there are haters and lovers. Seems everything I read about the Complete Studio Recordings is almost 50/50.

I don't have any of those issues, only have original vinyl and some of the other CD issues which are bad.

I can only speak to the A/B I have been doing with original vinyl and these 2014 reissues, which are glorious.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 15:12
^I'm also doing an A/B with old vinyl versus new and I agree with C-10, the new vinyl sounds great. A friend who has the 2014 CD's says that they sound great also. Either format is a sure bet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Like anything in the 90's from a "remaster" view...there are haters and lovers. Seems everything I read about the Complete Studio Recordings is almost 50/50.

I don't have any of those issues, only have original vinyl and some of the other CD issues which are bad.

I can only speak to the A/B I have been doing with original vinyl and these 2014 reissues, which are glorious.

Thanks for the feedback, Catcher. Once IV and Houses of the Holy are released in October, I might go ahead and buy those Deluxe CD Editions, but, honestly, I'm happy with these 90s remasters. They sound good to my ears.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 05 2014 at 19:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I'm also doing an A/B with old vinyl versus new and I agree with C-10, the new vinyl sounds great. A friend who has the 2014 CD's says that they sound great also. Either format is a sure bet.

Thanks for the feedback. Smile
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 04:56
This business about the credits is not that simple. There is one element that music fans ignore (why?) and that is the music business. Who places the credits, who pays the publishers, who administers royalties, who supervises the distribution. The record company. Not the singer from a rock band or whoever.

Consider 1968 and 1969. Plant called the music biz people then "brigands". He should know. Spirit, Jake Holmes, The Yardbirds and Robert Plant were CBS artists for example. CBS thought they were going to get Page who was not signed to them - this was the crucial bit. At that time they were The Yardbirds but had to be renamed anyway as the Name was in the control of CBS. CBS spent years trying to get their revenge on Grant and Ertegun by re-releasing that Live Yardbirds LP all the time. Ertegun tried to get back on CBS by ensuring changes were made. The publishers ASCAP had decided Dazed was a separate work from Home's Dazed. But Plant never gets a writing credit for his work; the industry had given him a very bad, very cynical example.

This is one reason that Plant has only recently got his first credit on the first album. The powers that be set everyone such a good example, models of integrity. Holmes was credted by yhe Yardbirds for Dazed on Cumular Limit. Page wanted to do it but had to base a new nunmber around Dazed, the lyrics were changed, new music introduced and all this so the Erteh=guns would not have to play loadsa money to clive Davis boss then (and now?) of CBS.

I wonder if Joan Baez ever knew the real writer of Babe I'm Gonna leave You. They always said their version was based around her recording - gave a t a trad arr, which was correct.

But yes, many numbers were lifted and miscredited. Sections of Hoow Many More Times, Balck Mountain Side (Trad arr, is acceptable but I think it's given to Page). Lemon Song was orginally credited to C. Burentte (H. Wolf) but was changed after the first pressing. Whole Lotta Love's lyrics a sounded awfully familar when Muddy Waters sang 'em. There are musical influences blues standards which the hysterially inclined call rip offs. But these are standard styles that can be traced to many a pioneer thanks to recoded music history, not necessarily to the originator.

At this rate there would be ten musical artists credited for allmusc! Nobody's Fault is as is often the case all original bllues lyric, music Zeppelin. Wish I could remember who wrote Moby Dick. I have heard it but the title and band escapes me. But the Zeppelin version is really just the drum solo.

There are other bands doing things - Purple's Black Night riff is a Ricky Nelson B side for example. So's Child In Time. Shine On You Crazy Diamond has it's origins (rather blatantly) on the Steve Miller Band's first album. I should indicate that my sources for some are posted on this site. Keith Emerson ran into publishing trouble with classical compposers not credietd - or properly). Clapton accidentally re wrote Stairway (I was glad to read that in his auto biog, as figuring out Let It Grow made me think ... Stairway in Bm? I thought I was going mad...

I think a lot of recording history and focus on the fairly visible Zeppelin has created a bit of a monster. Humble Pie did You Need Love (also mis-credited). Plant was a Marriott fan and may have heard it there first and thought it traditional  - original writer unknown. To Zeppelin's cost this is not true but this is up to the people who run the business to know what they call their business. They were gravely let down by the guy to whom they paid tribute.

Oh yes, until recently (1990 something) Atlantic had Zeppelin on the lowest royalty rate they could get away with. The things is; one can or should not never take things at face value, certainly not complex issues.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 04:57
Oh by the way has anyone heard the hi res downloads of the remastered remasters? Love to know about the comparison. Especially if they are going to get a hard copy release.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:29
In the words of Igor Stravinsky, one of the 20th Century's greatest composers, "Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal." Cool
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:44

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Catcher. Once IV and Houses of the Holy are released in October, I might go ahead and buy those Deluxe CD Editions, but, honestly, I'm happy with these 90s remasters. They sound good to my ears.

That is all that matters.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:49
I bought the Super Deluxe Box set of LZ I which came with CDs, they sound very good but really to my ears as good as the vinyl issues and vice versa.
Doing A/B I detect a very slight roll off the bass/low end frequency that hangs out longer with the vinyl version. Makes the vinyl version ever so slightly fuller, beefier that's all.

I can't wait to hear LZ IV and Houses. I have the 90's CD of Houses and always felt it was thin sounding, clean and clinical but thin.

Should be good!
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 20:15
Houses of The Holy reissue definitely has my attention. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 11:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Another excuse for Page and Plant to make more money from the fans.
Shame on them.

Considering that they and the Rolling Stones were the reason why so many progressive and experimental bands were dumped from the distributors lists and record companies in 1973 and 1974, I would say ... that greed is a bit of an issue.

Greed is good, still lives!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 11:45
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Jimmy Page was unknown musician back then, he became famous after he stole other artists music.  And if it wasn't enough

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/20/314256004/led-zeppelin-sued-over-stairway-to-heaven-guitar-line

Jimmy Page is a talentless f**k.

That's kind of unfair. There are millions of guitarists that are not worth the mention that are listed, EVEN, in the top ten on this board!

And if you listen to Gomelsky talk about Jimmy, he is a very professional and good musician that was usually prepared for his work!

Another sidebar issue, is, that of ALL the bootlegs I have ever heard in my ears, none of them is ever as good as the Zep bootlegs, specially in the 70/71 and 72 era, before the stupid song mania. Their concerts were tight, and very strong and a total blow out. And if you did not see them, then, you did not appreciate great musicians just tearing up the stage and the audience to shreds, like you can not imagine.

I have a great appreciation for their music. I just did not like the fact that both they and the Rolling Stones, were responsible for the effort to kill progressive, experimental and dump hundreds of bands off the pressing and distribution lists!

Edited by moshkito - August 10 2014 at 11:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 01:28
Physical Graffiti is the one I am waiting for.Smile
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 05:55
Led zep certainly we're talented no matter what riffs they borrowed so I am not sure why they are being slammed here.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 06:09

Complete BS of course. As others have mentioned, he did steal a riff or two, but the way he developed the songs were completely his own and no one else could emulate him. He had a unique vision and I think the music speaks for itself. There's always people like you saying negative things, but history has been quite kind to Zeppelin and there's a reason why: they were all amazing musicians.

No no, it's proved they stole music, and they were average musicians at best

If I had a chance to delete one band from the history of music it'd be Led Zeppelin. Absolutely worthless piece of sh*t.

Edited by LSDisease - August 12 2014 at 06:21
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>